HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

G for hart!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
03-12-2012, 09:12 PM
flyguys7475

vCash: 500
G for hart!!!!!!!!!!!!

unfortunatley malkin will probably run away with the hart but think about it. claude came into the season with the pressure of philadelphia on his back after trading mike and jeff. malkin didnt have the pressure giroux had on him. i think the voters really need to take into consideration what giroux has done this year under pressure. he NEEDS to win the hart, but if he doesnt this year. he will eventually

flyguys7475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:34 PM
litflyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguys7475 View Post
unfortunatley malkin will probably run away with the hart but think about it. claude came into the season with the pressure of philadelphia on his back after trading mike and jeff. malkin didnt have the pressure giroux had on him. i think the voters really need to take into consideration what giroux has done this year under pressure. he NEEDS to win the hart, but if he doesnt this year. he will eventually
Easy there, define what you mean by pressure. Without Crosby, Malkin's supporting cast is not nearly as deep as Giroux's (more pressure on Malkin to pick up the slack). If you mean pressure by trading off 2 key top forwards (Richie, Carter) in the off-season then yes Giroux was forced into a more important role and he's handled it with flying colors. But if Malkin gets the award it's because he earned it don't take that away from him, as much as I hate him he's still one hell of a talent.

litflyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:04 PM
MsWoof

You also have to look at Quick in LA. They'd be fighting with Columbus without him. He likely won't figure in the voting because the west always seems to get looked over but he's been amazing for them.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:32 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Someone mentioned Lundqvist in the other thread about Giroux. I think its between Lundqvist and Malkin with Giroux finishing third. The Crosby factor will be huge in voting and Lundqvist has been ridiculous. Giroux has had a great season, but compared to Malkin (less games/more points, less of a supporting cast, team will likely finish higher in the standings) and Lundqvist (only allowed more than three goals four times all season and has not allowed more than four once, 8 shutouts thus far), he just doesn't really stack up. He's not too far off, but compared to those two he doesn't have the resume.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Top Cheese Danish

I believe he'll at least be a nominee this year, which in itself is huge.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:29 AM
kimmofan44

i'm sorry but i think renne in nashville gets the hart this year, he's as steady and clutch as goalies get and ws the first goalie to 40 wins this season.

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:49 AM
mirimon

If Kings make it to the playoffs, then Quick should definitely win the Hart imo. Another guy I think should be mentioned is Stamkos, he is pretty much the only reason the Lightnings have been able to at least somewhat stay in the playoff picture for this long. Malkin will be a worthy winner though, he's been great for the Pens this year.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:46 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

You gotta wait til its over but it has to be Quick if they make it. how many more games would they have lost without him. They barely scored a goal a game for over a month. Giroux has proven to be a major stud tho. To come in smooth as hell and laugh at all the pressure laid on him. If there was an anti-hart it should go to JVR. he disappointed the hell outta me this year. i know he was hurt a lot but come on

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Broad Street Elite

2012 - Hart - Malkin

Sure, I'd love to see G get it, but under similar circumstances to G (losing Richards and Carter is similar to losing Crosby), Malkin and the Pens have been just a little better than Giroux and the Flyers. Bit more points, points per game, 5 versus 8 in game-winning goals, and even the entirely over-rated +/- rating. Just not many ways you can argue that G has had a superior season imo.

Giroux should be a finalist, however.

Broad Street Elite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:46 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinSandwich View Post
I believe he'll at least be a nominee this year, which in itself is huge.
I doubt it. He had a great year, but I don't think he is top 3 MVP race.

1. Malkin
2. Stamkos
3. Karlsson
4. Lundquist
5. Giroux

IMO

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
I doubt it. He had a great year, but I don't think he is top 3 MVP race.

1. Malkin
2. Stamkos
3. Karlsson
4. Lundquist
5. Giroux

IMO
For me, until a "best forward" trophy exists in the same mold as the Norris and Vezina trophies it should be (and frankly is) incredibly difficult for a goaltender or defenseman to win a Hart trophy.

Karlsson is certainly a Norris finalist, but I would not call him the runaway favorite at this point and that's what you'd have to be to get into Hart consideration as a defenseman in today's game.

Lundquist is probably Giroux's chief competition for the spot, but depending on the next 14 games, Giroux could easily pass Stamkos in my mind.

Old
03-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Prongo
Beer

IF Giroux goes onto a tear here in there last 14 games, he has a great chance. He needs to start potting some important goals and dominating the opposition like he did before his concussion. Still is playing great but after that happened seemed like he slowed down a bit which is understandable. If he can deposit 23-27 points in the next 14, he definitely has a chance to steal it from Malkin. That of course is if we are winning hockey games though.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:09 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
If Tampa Bay sneaks in, it's Stamkos. Otherwise, I think Malkin wins it. Giroux, Quick and Lundqvist are also right up there, but I think Malkin takes it because of how he's carried Pitt with all the Crosby uncertainty.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:32 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
If Tampa Bay sneaks in, it's Stamkos. Otherwise, I think Malkin wins it. Giroux, Quick and Lundqvist are also right up there, but I think Malkin takes it because of how he's carried Pitt with all the Crosby uncertainty.
I agree, Malkin and Stamkos you could argue have similar supporting casts. However, Stamkos is going to hit 50 maybe even 60 goals and carries the worst defensive team in the league.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 04:22 PM
phillyfanatic

Not sure how everyone is leaving Karlsson off their lists. The guy is 7th in league scoring as a defenceman. He is 25 points clear of second on the list. He is only 2 points out of the NHL top 5 in scoring (he might hit 80 f'ing points). Without him, The Sens are probably a lottery team this year. I love Giroux but Karlsson is the more valuable to his team, IMO. In fact, I would argue he is the Most Valuable Player to his team in the NHL. And that, is the definition of the trophy.

Old
03-13-2012, 04:30 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 555
IMO:
Malkin
Quick
Lundqvist
Giroux
Stamkos

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 04:47 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Not sure how everyone is leaving Karlsson off their lists. The guy is 7th in league scoring as a defenceman. He is 25 points clear of second on the list. He is only 2 points out of the NHL top 5 in scoring (he might hit 80 f'ing points). Without him, The Sens are probably a lottery team this year. I love Giroux but Karlsson is the more valuable to his team, IMO. In fact, I would argue he is the Most Valuable Player to his team in the NHL. And that, is the definition of the trophy.
If only his defensive play were up to those standards.

But yea, I see Malkin winning it, with the top 3 being Malkin-Stamkos-Giroux.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
People are basing it off the reality of the award. You are probably right about the Sens without Karlsson and he is definitely a favorite for the Norris. Simply put, Defensemen do not win the Hart. The last to even be a finalist was Pronger in '00... and Pronger brought less points than Karlsson, but was an amazing leader and a better shutdown defenseman than Karlsson has been this year.

Should he be in consideration? I'd still argue no. He's a lot of points behind Malkin in spite of playing a ton more minutes.

Old
03-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Broad Street Elite

I'm sort of curious why so many are including Quick? He's had a great year and is absolutely a Vezina finalist. Lundqvist has had a better season by almost any measure.

The Kings play one of the most dramatically defensive systems in the league. You can look at the tremendous offensive talent they have in Kopitar, Richards, Carter, Williams, Doughty, Brown. Those guys aren't all having down years suddenly for no reason.... their system is an incredible asset to Quick and an incredible detriment to their offense.

Before I get jumped on about Quick, I'm not claiming he is a product of system... I'm saying he is bolstered significantly by it. Even with that bolster, he simply does not match Lundqvist and therefore, imo, he doesn't belong in the Hart discussion.

Old
03-14-2012, 01:16 PM
G Money

would love for giroux to win it but my prediction is stamkos looks like he is gunna end up with 60 not malkin only because crosby will take away his points in the last 12 games or so

but its nice to see lavi on board ( letting giroux play the whole 2 mins on the PP up 3-0 with 2 minutes left in the game )

G Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:48 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
People are basing it off the reality of the award. You are probably right about the Sens without Karlsson and he is definitely a favorite for the Norris. Simply put, Defensemen do not win the Hart. The last to even be a finalist was Pronger in '00... and Pronger brought less points than Karlsson, but was an amazing leader and a better shutdown defenseman than Karlsson has been this year.

Should he be in consideration? I'd still argue no. He's a lot of points behind Malkin in spite of playing a ton more minutes.
Really? Malkin has 84 points, tied with Stamkos, 4 up on Giroux. He "may" win the scoring race. Karlsson has 69 points. He is 25 clear of the next defenseman! As we know goals are very difficult for a defenseman to get; Karlsson has 18 to Malkins 38. Assists, Karlsson has 51 to Malkins 46. Powerplay points 27 each. +/-, Malkin is a +5, Karlsson is a +15 on a much lesser team.

Rather than Malkin, Giroux, Stamkos. I see Malkin, Stamkos, Karlsson. Those are the "most valuable players to their team". I personally don't think goalies should be included in the discussion - but since they are, Hank probably gets into the top 3.

Old
03-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Really? Malkin has 84 points, tied with Stamkos, 4 up on Giroux. He "may" win the scoring race. Karlsson has 69 points. He is 25 clear of the next defenseman! As we know goals are very difficult for a defenseman to get; Karlsson has 18 to Malkins 38. Assists, Karlsson has 51 to Malkins 46. Powerplay points 27 each. +/-, Malkin is a +5, Karlsson is a +15 on a much lesser team.

Rather than Malkin, Giroux, Stamkos. I see Malkin, Stamkos, Karlsson. Those are the "most valuable players to their team". I personally don't think goalies should be included in the discussion - but since they are, Hank probably gets into the top 3.
I agree with this. Hell, Karlsson is only two even strength points behind Giroux.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
2012 - Hart - Malkin

Sure, I'd love to see G get it, but under similar circumstances to G (losing Richards and Carter is similar to losing Crosby), Malkin and the Pens have been just a little better than Giroux and the Flyers. Bit more points, points per game, 5 versus 8 in game-winning goals, and even the entirely over-rated +/- rating. Just not many ways you can argue that G has had a superior season imo.

Giroux should be a finalist, however.
No it's not. Losing Richards and Carter got the Flyers a return of four NHL players, the Pens got nothing from Crosby's mushbrain.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 04:51 PM
DrHamburg

Should be Karlsson (Spezza playing great but look what this guy has done for them) or maybe Quick if L.A. gets in.. Will be Malkin with Stamkos second if the Lightning get in (Longhsot, but Stamkos might get 2nd anyway). If Giroux can lead the league in points he would have a chance, but he would have to pass Malkin and the Pens can't get the #1 seed.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Toastman

Giroux has been amazing this year. He reminds me of Malkin in the way that he just takes over games offensively. But I think it's going to as goalie this season, Lundy or Quick

Toastman is offline   Reply With Quote