HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

March 13: Voracek (mouth stitches) probable; Jagr (hip) returned March 8

Old
03-10-2012, 07:50 AM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Shanny is a ****ing idiot. Jake got hit square in the head. Is that not a head shot??? League is pathetic. Nystrom shoulders Letang and no suspension either.

God forbid a ****ing red wing or ranger take a shot to the head.
Jake said it was his fault so it's on him, not Shanny.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 09:31 AM
CavemanLawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Jake said it was his fault so it's on him, not Shanny.
It doesn't matter if it was his fault or not. What happened to the buzz words of 'Targeting a Defenseless Player"... Hm? Wasn't that big talk? Hitting a defenseless player, even if it was his fault for being in a defenseless position. The fact we have a defenseless player here, get nailed with 100% of the impact to his ****ing head, and no suspension is laughable when the league started this wide crack down due to situations like this.

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 09:45 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanLawyer View Post
It doesn't matter if it was his fault or not. What happened to the buzz words of 'Targeting a Defenseless Player"... Hm? Wasn't that big talk? Hitting a defenseless player, even if it was his fault for being in a defenseless position. The fact we have a defenseless player here, get nailed with 100% of the impact to his ****ing head, and no suspension is laughable when the league started this wide crack down due to situations like this.
He wasn't defenseless, he looked up, saw him coming and looked down again. It's like looking both ways before crossing the street, seeing a bus and stepping off the curb anyway.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:02 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Voracek was a perfect case of what everyone screams about for NOT suspending a player. There's still supposed to be a measure responsibility for a player defending himself. No one really knows how much their is, but it wasn't even the first time in the shift Voracek had his head down trying to come out of the zone.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Voracek was a perfect case of what everyone screams about for NOT suspending a player. There's still supposed to be a measure responsibility for a player defending himself. No one really knows how much their is, but it wasn't even the first time in the shift Voracek had his head down trying to come out of the zone.
I'm not saying Voracek shouldn't get hit because he's not paying attention. I'm saying the ********** Kronwall hit him square in the HEAD. It's a headshot. What's so hard about this?

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 02:29 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
I'm not saying Voracek shouldn't get hit because he's not paying attention. I'm saying the ********** Kronwall hit him square in the HEAD. It's a headshot. What's so hard about this?
Read the head shot rule one more time:

Quote:
48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head is targeted and the principal point of contact is not permitted. However, in determining whether such a hit should have been permitted, the circumstances of the hit, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit or the head contact on an otherwise legal body check was avoidable, can be considered.

I dont know what else there is to say. Voracek put his head in a vulnerable position immediately prior to the hit. The responsibility is his, not Kronwall's.

Everybody says the NHL is inconsistent in their logic, but I disagree. It's one of two things when it comes to head shots.

A player is hit in the head after making no sudden movement of the head. The head contact could have been avoided. Responsibility is on the hitter for not making contact.

OR

A player is hit in the head after making a sudden movement of the head to a vulnerable position. The head contact could not have been avoided by any reasonable action of the hitter. Responsibility is on the victim to not receive contact to the head.

I think Shanahan has done a pretty damn good job of being consistent to that logic. Obviously Voracek falls into the second statement. No suspension. Right call. Voracek agrees with it too.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Cuiff

Voracek out again! I take that it is PCS!

Cuiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Read the head shot rule one more time:

I dont know what else there is to say. Voracek put his head in a vulnerable position immediately prior to the hit. The responsibility is his, not Kronwall's.

Everybody says the NHL is inconsistent in their logic, but I disagree. It's one of two things when it comes to head shots.

A player is hit in the head after making no sudden movement of the head. The head contact could have been avoided. Responsibility is on the hitter for not making contact.

OR

A player is hit in the head after making a sudden movement of the head to a vulnerable position. The head contact could not have been avoided by any reasonable action of the hitter. Responsibility is on the victim to not receive contact to the head.

I think Shanahan has done a pretty damn good job of being consistent to that logic. Obviously Voracek falls into the second statement. No suspension. Right call. Voracek agrees with it too.
Agree to disagree. I appreciate you posting the rule. Food for thought.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:10 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1481
Voracek is expected to play tonight (March 13).

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:27 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Voracek is expected to play tonight (March 13).
Still worried. The concussion testing is not sensitive enough of a test. But if he is good to go should be a great addition. I thought we were missing entry speed the most. That said we have to get this bottom pairing out of here even though manning has been impressive

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:51 PM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
He wasn't defenseless, he looked up, saw him coming and looked down again. It's like looking both ways before crossing the street, seeing a bus and stepping off the curb anyway.
Sorry, that is just plain wrong. Jake even said in his interview that he looked up and saw him on the blue line and "naively" thought that he could exit the defensive zone. He was definitely wrong in that assumption, but you better believe that if he saw Kronwall steaming in at him that he wouldn't have put himself in the same position.

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Still worried. The concussion testing is not sensitive enough of a test. But if he is good to go should be a great addition. I thought we were missing entry speed the most. That said we have to get this bottom pairing out of here even though manning has been impressive
He was given 7 days off. If he feels ok he should play.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote