HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Getting ready to take the plunge to be a goalie

Old
03-13-2012, 12:01 PM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganave View Post
My options for skates went up a bunch. I just learned that goaliemonkey has a store about 20 miles south of me. I'll have an update on skates tonight I called the other store I was going to and they don't carry goalie equipment in the store, just on their website.

I'm not going to skimp on a goalie jock. I've gotten my share of nasty foul tips catching. They always seem to find the gaps... I can't yet imagine how bruised a goalie gets after a game, but I'll find out.
Are you in NJ? If so, I'm actually heading there after work today as I need player skates.

99 Problems, it's not about difference in quality, it's the difference in the protection. IMO there is a big difference in the protection of a $50 jock and a $75-$100 one and well worth the extra $25-$50 when overall the OP will be spending around a grand.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Dustin Peener
Prince Ali Mufasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Are you in NJ? If so, I'm actually heading there after work today as I need player skates.

99 Problems, it's not about difference in quality, it's the difference in the protection. IMO there is a big difference in the protection of a $50 jock and a $75-$100 one and well worth the extra $25-$50 when overall the OP will be spending around a grand.
Yeah, I meant protection. I played in goal with a normal player's jock for years, and didn't get a proper goalie one until my last year of U18's. The only difference was the goalie jock has more padding around the whole region whereas a player one only covers your junk.

When you look at it that way, I guess the cost doesn't matter. $100 dollars just seems a lot considering how cheap most of them are on goalie monkey. Plus I'm in a different currency mindset, 50 is a lot more than $50, which is why at first I said you shouldn't have to pay more than 50, because almost all of them would be less than 50

Dustin Peener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:53 PM
ganave

Alas, I work in Boston. I'm really surprised at how much more accessible hockey is than baseball leagues here.

The gear is expensive, but I can spread it out over the months. I figure by the time I'm ready to join the instructional league I'll know by then if I can skate well enough to be a good goalie.

To start I think this should give me enough protection to fall all over the ice:

Goalie Skates
Knee Guards
Elbow Guards (just for practice)
Goalie Pants
regular helmet
(Wrist guards? Should I bother?)

Rest of gear:

Goalie Helmet
Goalie Chest
Goalie Jock
Blocker
Leg Pads
Glove
Stick
Throat Guard
Neck Collar

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Dustin Peener
Prince Ali Mufasa

Don't be put off if you can't skate very well in goalie skates. Seriously, I'm a terrible skater in goalie skates if I haven't got my pads on

You don't really need to be a great skater before you start, when I started I was at the level where I could skate forwards, backwards, and crossover both ways forwards and backwards, and stop both ways. Being a goalie makes you a better skater, you build up a lot more strength in your legs, become really strong on your edges. You don't have to be the best skater on the team to be a goalie, you become the best skater by playing the position.

Last edited by Dustin Peener: 03-13-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old
03-13-2012, 01:16 PM
ganave

That's encouraging. I'm hoping I have a leg-up on edge control because of skiing. That and hockey stops. It took me a while to figure out how to do a good hockey stop on skis.

Crossovers should be interesting to learn, I'm wicked jealous of people at free skates who can do that forwards and backwards.

Old
03-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Dustin Peener
Prince Ali Mufasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganave View Post
That's encouraging. I'm hoping I have a leg-up on edge control because of skiing. That and hockey stops. It took me a while to figure out how to do a good hockey stop on skis.

Crossovers should be interesting to learn, I'm wicked jealous of people at free skates who can do that forwards and backwards.
Luckily it's almost impossible to do crossovers in goalie equipment so you'll never need to do it

Old
03-13-2012, 01:53 PM
ganave

Ha, true. The lack of a curved blade would make it trickier.

Equipment question: the monkeysports store in Norwood is having a sale on Bauer Performance Sr. Chest/Arm protector for $120 and the Bauer Performance Sr. Pants for $100. Are they decent to start with or should I hold off and try to get something better used?

Old
03-13-2012, 10:06 PM
ganave

Back from the Sportsmonkey store, huge selection of hockey, baseball, lacrosse, and soccer stuff.

I went with Reebok 9k goalie pants and Bauer Supreme One60 for skates. Staff was really helpful, one of them was a goalie. I looked at the $100 bauer chest protector and decided to wait for a better one. Pretty big difference between the cheaper ones and the $200-ish ones.

Picked up some inexpensive goalie kneeguards and a pair of elbow guards. Look for me in the noob chronicles soon!