Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Does the OHL need better refs?

Old
03-08-2012, 12:15 AM
OHLFan8771

vCash: 500
Does the OHL need better refs?

Tonight's game on March 7th between the Otters and the Whalers was maybe the worst display of officiating I have ever seen. Travis Wood is absolutely crushed by an elbow from Tom Wilson on maybe not an intentional cheap shot but is up there for the worst I have seen in the OHL this year. Wood lays motionless on the ice and is taken off on a stretcher. Wilson is NOT penalized for the hit ? That is just ridiculous in my opinion.

The next face-off McGuire lines up next to Wilson, puck drops McGuire waits a few seconds clearly saying lets go; Wilson wants no part really so Johnny drops his mitts any way. Upon the severity of the hit and injury to Wood the refs throw McGuire out of the game and give Wilson just 5 for fighting.

I obviously do not see every OHL game and does officiating this poor happen around the league?

OHLFan8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:42 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Unfortunately, the list of good refs in the OHL is very short.

I've said it before, but I'd love it if the league and/or teams talked to OA's who aren't going to continue playing any sort of professional hockey about becoming refs. They already know the game, and they can skate. They'd need to go through the certification process, but the league could help facilitate training them.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:25 PM
cfaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post

I've said it before, but I'd love it if the league and/or teams talked to OA's who aren't going to continue playing any sort of professional hockey about becoming refs. They already know the game, and they can skate. They'd need to go through the certification process, but the league could help facilitate training them.
I think that would be an excellent idea.

One more way to keep these kids involved in hockey and eventually at the OHL/CHL level and beyond.

If they don't make it as a player to the pro levels there is no reason why they can't make it through the officiating route.

cfaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 02:25 PM
OHLFan8771

The only problem with that would be bias calls in favor or against certain teams or players. Maybe have players from the Q ref the games from the OHL or something like that.

Old
03-08-2012, 03:38 PM
ImaBullsfan

I agree with you, but in my opinion the 2 ref system is very disfunctional. The ice surface is not big enough for 12 players, 2 refs and 2 linesmen! Players in this day and age are getting bigger and bigger, and so very limited room out there. Ive been a season ticket holder for 20 years and it just seems that the refs now have massive ego's, then put 2 on the ice in one game, you get really bad officiated hockey games

ImaBullsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 03:52 PM
ckg927

Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:

Not a bad idea, actually.

But remember, this IS the OHL we're talking about...where a good idea happens once a decade.

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 03:52 PM
cfaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottersfan View Post
The only problem with that would be bias calls in favor or against certain teams or players. Maybe have players from the Q ref the games from the OHL or something like that.
So many of the officials have played some form of hockey at one point in time or another. They also likely grew up cheering for a certain team as well. If we eliminate every single official or candidate to be an official who has ever played for or cheered for a team there not be very many available in any sport.

I think what this idea suggests, at least to me is after their playing days help to fast track some qualified candidates from the sport into the officiating side of the game. Now I don't think CharlieGirl is suggesting putting them into an OHL game as an official the following season but let it be known for those that do not go pro that this is a potential career path for them and help fast track some enthusiatic candidates through the process. They would still need to learn the craft from the officiating side as well as gain experience but the OHL/CHL could always set up a program that works with Hockey Canada to get these kids into the officiating system.

Many will never become pro players but there are still oppurtunities for them within the semi pro/pro ranks when it comes to officiating. If it can be portrayed as a legitimate career path with possibilities as they gain experience then it only makes sense to get these kids involved when their playing days are over. Getting them involved when they are younger can only help to increase the talent pool available at all levels of the game and the sooner they become involved after their playing days the better it is for the sport as a whole.

Where do these officials come from now? many get involved when their kids start playing or even when they finish playing. Start them sooner.

cfaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 03:53 PM
PacoSanchez15

Most of the good ones only do a few years before they get noticed and move on to the higher leagues.

PacoSanchez15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Torts

its always been bad, will continue to be bad. some say go to 1 ref system and the reffing may be better. who knows, definatly an issue junior hockey in general needs to look at

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:12 AM
OHLFan8771

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTmTn5qVnkE

Link to the hit. Notice the ref is looking right at Wilson as he makes the hit and makes no call.

Old
03-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:

I've actually posted the same idea on other boards. But I also proposed that the OHL(CHL) would also set up an officiating scholarship for the selected players.
Let the players know that there is more than just one way to get to the pro's.
I would imagine under the best case scenerio that perhaps we would see 3 or 4 new OHL grads officiating every season till a majority of them are OHL grads.

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:58 AM
BigBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottersfan View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTmTn5qVnkE

Link to the hit. Notice the ref is looking right at Wilson as he makes the hit and makes no call.
Looks like a legal hit, I don't think you should call a penalty for a hit like that. Elbow down,shoulder to shoulder,big hit but looks legal to me.

BigBuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:01 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
Looks like a legal hit, I don't think you should call a penalty for a hit like that. Elbow down,shoulder to shoulder,big hit but looks legal to me.
Only aspect of the hit that could/should be looked at is "if the hit was late?".

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:53 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
I've actually posted the same idea on other boards. But I also proposed that the OHL(CHL) would also set up an officiating scholarship for the selected players.
Let the players know that there is more than just one way to get to the pro's.
I would imagine under the best case scenerio that perhaps we would see 3 or 4 new OHL grads officiating every season till a majority of them are OHL grads.
A scholarship is a great idea, and could be a little push in the right direction for someone on the fence about going to the dark side. It wouldn't conflict with players choosing to use their education packages either.

Okay, if all of us can see the advantages of this kind of thing, why can't the CHL??

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 12:43 PM
dino200022

I have problems with the officials and yes i mean them all lineys and refs. The refs unfortunetly dont ref the game based on actual penalties, they more ref the game on the flow and score. You know if you are winning 3-1 with 10 mins left you will be short handed at least 1 or two more times for things they were let go for the last 50 mins. If u see a penalty call it, dont let the score dictate whether or not it is a penalty. And as far as the linesman go the only beef I have with them are on icings, but other then that they do a great job! The defenceman in this league make the linesman look stupid on icings, I love the good old puck is shot to the left of me so I will turn to the right to make it look like I could not touch the puck. Biggest pet peeve of all time when the defenceman does not even try to reach for the puck when is goes right beside him!

dino200022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 02:16 PM
kenadian

All you can really ask for is consistancy........game to game. A call made in the 1st SHOULD be called the same way in the 3rd and OT........

I think that's all we really want a "fair" game called the same from start to finish.

kenadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 03:47 PM
bidzey

vCash: 50
well I'm 2 game away from following 1 team play every game (Owen Sound) and I watched a few more along the way through the OHL Pack (Roger's TV). The officiating in this league is nothing short of embarrasing! It's not even funny! Somebody needs to address this problem.

One perticular game the officiating being at there best... (sarcasim here) Ruled the puck went in the net when the puck clearly went off both posts. The TV crew in disbelief played the replay countless times trying to understand why such a lousy call was made when it wasn't even close that the puck went in the net. They said they never seen anything like it.

In the same game they played another replay many time when the refs decide the puck was deflected over the glass when a player shot it in crowd from his own defensive zone. It wasn't even close to be deflected and the replay showed it clearly that the puck flew into the crowd straight from the players stick after he shot it. No penalty.

Those 2 examples above was the worse i seen, I could write a book here on all the terrible calls, or non calls I seen this season. The OHL refs for the most part REALLY SUCK!!!

bidzey is offline   Reply With Quote