HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery to Retire? - Brooks: Avery Tells Post he will retire

Old
03-13-2012, 11:34 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Love him or hate him the guy gave us some fun Ranger moments. Just his battles with Brodeur alone were worth it....

http://youtu.be/fjZUmnyId3M

03-13-2012, 11:36 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

I always liked Avery. My issues with him this year are simply about hockey... Namely that he's no longer an effective player.

Tortorella may have neutered him a little bit, but it was on Avery to change his game to fit within the coach's team concept. Avery failed to do that. Whether that was a matter of choice or capability doesn't matter

Thank you Sean for your energy and effort and entertainment. It's just time to move on.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Bench
Realgud!

We'll miss you, Sean. You brought so much entertainment... and folks, that's hockey. Entertainment.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:38 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

My favorite Avery moment, after the obvious Brodeur and Kovalchuk incidents:

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:46 AM
shelaur22

His agent is now saying that Avery wasn't serious.

shelaur22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:50 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I'm going to miss a guy that always stayed in good condition and played his ass off for this jersey.

Sean Avery played the game the way Sean Avery wanted to play the game. And in doing so, he helped the Rangers far more than he hurt them and anyone saying different is full of ****.

The league actually needs more charachters like Avery than the bland-vanilla-cookie cutter answer giving drones we have now.

It's a shame that we have coaches being recycled through the NHL Ranks that have no idea on how to deal with odd personalities.

Good luck in your new career path Sean. You will be missed.
I agree with this, for the most part. His conditioning was always the best on the team. He played hard for us. It just didn't work with Torts. They are polar opposites in terms of personality.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:02 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I'm going to miss a guy that always stayed in good condition and played his ass off for this jersey.

Sean Avery played the game the way Sean Avery wanted to play the game. And in doing so, he helped the Rangers far more than he hurt them and anyone saying different is full of ****.

The league actually needs more charachters like Avery than the bland-vanilla-cookie cutter answer giving drones we have now.

It's a shame that we have coaches being recycled through the NHL Ranks that have no idea on how to deal with odd personalities.

Good luck in your new career path Sean. You will be missed.
Agree 100%.

Personally I think Sean is still an NHL quality player but at this point maybe not good enough to play on this team--considering the cap hit and how little time he got on special teams. A 3rd-4th liner needs those extras.

Some of the remarks about him are just nonsense. Personally I couldn't care less what he did in Dallas or Los Angeles--years ago. I understand why he's gone--I just don't get all this animosity. It doesn't strike me as very intelligent. What really is there to be angry about? The team has done exceptionally well this year--Avery didn't hurt us the times he did play.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:10 PM
DoTheBlue
Off Season Blues

Maybe if a team throws in unlimited free orange juice he can be persuaded to play again.

Good luck Sean.

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:22 PM
dynamoovechkin

I feel the same way about Avery the way I felt about Ulf Samuelson and Eric Lindros- hated them when they played elsewhere, incredulous that we signed them, then wind up loving them for the way they played for us.

As far as instigators ala Ken Linseman go, Avery was an all-time great. If it's true that he is retired, the hockey boards just died a little death.

Controversial, colorful character. Good luck Sean, you will be missed, strangely.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:24 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Yahoo Sports just sent me a text that Sean Avery "retires from hockey".

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:31 PM
NickyFotiu

This may just be Sean being frustrated, joking on a TV show, or not thinking another NHL team will want him after the season.

3 different twitter posts say 3 different things.

Brooks confirms retirement and that he wasn't joking.

Gross says Sean said he is not making any announcement on his future at this time.

Pat Morris says Sean Avery's future plans will be determined by interest in the summer. Says he was "joking" last night.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Preemptive move in case he doesn't get an offer over the summer. Surely, he can be "lured out of retirement" for the right offer.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Blueshirt Special

I see a time in the years ahead when the people will talk of "Sean Avery, the legend". His stature will grow with time, and they may even write songs about him the way they did in olden days.

"Branded, marked with the coward's shame! What do you do when you're branded?, Well you fight for your name! Wherever you go for the rest of your life you must prove you're a man!"

ah poor Sean.

OK, just goofing. I liked the guy, but like most I felt his positive contribution to the team diminished on his 2nd go round.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Sean Aviary
Chirp! Chirp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Preemptive move in case he doesn't get an offer over the summer. Surely, he can be "lured out of retirement" for the right offer.
Florida needs to hit the cap floor and they're short on third liners...

Sean Aviary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 01:03 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
What's your problem?

Better men and better players have played for the Rangers. I'm just sick of the Avery sideshow. All of the people who care more about Avery than the actual team. The Rangers did him a favor bringing him back and allowing him to continue his career. So Avery decides to make a jackass of himself and causes trouble in CT. People were surprised Slats didn't place Sean on re-entry waivers. He spit in Sather's face by causing trouble. Sather sent him home.

Its always ends badly for Sean. LA. Dallas. NY. Andy Murray. Bruce Boudreau. Dave Tippett. Brett Hull. John Tortorella. Its never Sean's fault.

Hull took a big risk in the Stars signing Avery. The entire organization wanted no part of Avery. Dave Taylor was working for the Stars. He knew Sean from LA. Hull knew Avery from the Wings. When Sean acted up and got himself in trouble,Hull lost his job in Dallas. Good friend.
Look, Avery was not one for tact, but what exactly did he do in Dallas that was so bad? He made a joke. An off-color joke, which garnered an absolutely over the top reaction from the league and the press the likes of which should be reserved for ********** like Matt Cooke or Zach Rinaldo who try to injure other players and end careers. I wonder what the NHL would do if someone did what J.R. Smith did a few days ago on Twitter.

He was so terrible in the locker room in Dallas...but somehow managed to make friends with Brad Richards, a very nice guy by all accounts, and a player that has never, ever been in any kind of hot water for unsportsmanlike conduct, on or off the ice.

Avery rubbed people the wrong way in LA, and probably some people in Dallas, too. If Sean acted like a sulking baby in CT, that's on him, as well, although I think it is perfectly fair to say that he didn't get the best opportunities with Tortorella. For all the good Tortorella has done with certain players, he failed miserably in getting the most for the team out of Avery, Drury, Zherdev, and a couple of others. For the most part, Avery played well as a member of this team. It's unfortunate that his reputation, partially his fault and partially the league's, continues to overshadow the fact that when healthy, he's actually a really smart role player...when he has his priorities in line and when coaches and officials are giving him a fair shake.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 01:35 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

What pissed me off about Sean was him being a baby in Hartford, and the cult that he garnered here. Always like Avery, before this year at least.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 02:55 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
What pissed me off about Sean was him being a baby in Hartford, and the cult that he garnered here. Always like Avery, before this year at least.
Many of the people here who like Avery (cult?) understand there are legit reasons why he's not on the team anymore--that his game is not as good as it once was. Even so--why does it piss you off that some people still like him?--and why would that be Avery's fault if they did? He certainly can't control what other people think about him.

That's a reason I don't get some of Rangerboy's comments about him. We all know he was once a really good player for us. A 3rd liner capable of 35-40 point seasons who really got other teams off their game. All in all over his career he's only really scored one big contract--the one he's on now. He's not worth the money but arguably he was worth $2.5 to $3 at the time and if I remember correctly that's about what Slats was going to give him. Things have deteriorated since but he's not going to be a headache for our management anymore.

Again I don't care what happened in Dallas or L.A. His best seasons were with us. As far as Slats goes--don't worry about him either. IMO Sather is lucky to have survived past the lockout but he knows how to take care of himself. The idea that Avery insulted him--don't make me laugh. He did nothing of the kind. And he didn't demean the organization either. We're at the top of the standings. The truth is we didn't need Sean anymore. Simple as that and he obviously didn't want to be a minor leaguer like Redden--maybe he had a little more pride. Did we need his cap hit at the trade deadline?--not really. As far as these alleged internecine battles between Torts and Avery I'm not interested in taking sides. I see one main thing. Torts is the coach and his team is winning. No reason to question his decision making.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 02:56 PM
anofsti

vCash: 679
I just remembered reading earlier this season, that Averys whole life is in New York, so if he couldn't play for the Rangers, he wouldn't play at all, partly because of his fashion jobs and his resturant that pays enough for him to get by anyway.

anofsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
A shame. A crying, crying shame.

Khelvan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Jimmy Collins

Send a message via AIM to Jimmy Collins
I don't know guys. I think as soon as Torts came in, Sean couldn't play his game. Avery played at his best when he was out there chirping away playing dirty and that did not fall into Torts system. I think he was one of the most effective agitators in the history of the game and sure as hell was entertaining. I model a lot of my play after his with the chirping and rough housing along with the speed. And i know there are a lot of haters out there but I really really think he is about 80 times more effective than Fedetenko, Scott and Rupp. Its a shame but damn am I happy that he was a New York Ranger

Jimmy Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Have a great retirement, Avery.

Will never forget the Brodeur push.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 04:04 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Look, Avery was not one for tact, but what exactly did he do in Dallas that was so bad? He made a joke. An off-color joke, which garnered an absolutely over the top reaction from the league and the press the likes of which should be reserved for ********** like Matt Cooke or Zach Rinaldo who try to injure other players and end careers. I wonder what the NHL would do if someone did what J.R. Smith did a few days ago on Twitter.

He was so terrible in the locker room in Dallas...but somehow managed to make friends with Brad Richards, a very nice guy by all accounts, and a player that has never, ever been in any kind of hot water for unsportsmanlike conduct, on or off the ice.
That joke was the least of his problems in Dallas... He alienated himself and, by his own admission, poked the fire to make the situation worse in the Dallas lockerroom... What a consummate professional:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...bGwODvidOJImCP

Quote:
"I have to take the major portion of the responsibility for what happened in Dallas," Avery told The Post on Wednesday. "They gave me a contract to come there and help the team win and when I got there, I didn't adjust.

"I didn't adjust to the conditions. I didn't adjust to Texas as a whole, I didn't adjust to the team, and when I say the team, I don't mean the organization, I mean some of the guys in the room.

"I'm responsible 100 percent for that; 100 percent."
Quote:
"Really, it seems like as soon as I got there, it didn't fit right from the get-go," said Avery, who finished with 10 points (3-7) with the Stars. "Once I felt that and had that feeling of almost isolation, I subconsciously started acting in a way that would push people away and that made the situation worse.

"It was kind of a defensive tactic more than anything. Anytime you're feeling a little uncertain, like your back is to the wall, you react in a defensive way. That's how I coped.
"
So Dallas rewards him with a lucrative $15 mil contract, and instead of trying to earn the respect of his teammates and Dallas management, he deliberately makes the situation worse because he feels alienated by a few of his teammates? If any player not named Sean Avery did that to the NYR organization, and later admitted as much in an interview, that player would be universally lambasted by Ranger fans for having done so. Talk about a juvenile, immature act by a guy who doesn't have the slightest clue about how to be a professional

Sean Avery is an adolescent living in an adult body.

It should come as no surprise to the many fans who questioned his commitment to the game that he's planning on retiring at the ripe old age of 32. I'm glad he's no longer affiliated with the New York Rangers organization. He is the antithesis of what the organization prides itself in, class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
A shame. A crying, crying shame.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 03-13-2012 at 04:36 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 04:25 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

If it's true, then thank God.

Another distraction rid from the team. Sick of all the Avery fanboys thinking he would come in and magically improve our offense. He was good when we first acquired him and the whole league wasn't against him. After he basically was hated by the entire league he was more of a burden then a help. Always getting stupid penalties called on him, never given the benefit of the doubt by the refs.

It was fun at first, and it got real old real fast. The shame is that people still believed he was actually a decent player.

03-13-2012, 04:30 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Many of the people here who like Avery (cult?) understand there are legit reasons why he's not on the team anymore--that his game is not as good as it once was. Even so--why does it piss you off that some people still like him?--and why would that be Avery's fault if they did? He certainly can't control what other people think about him.

That's a reason I don't get some of Rangerboy's comments about him. We all know he was once a really good player for us. A 3rd liner capable of 35-40 point seasons who really got other teams off their game. All in all over his career he's only really scored one big contract--the one he's on now. He's not worth the money but arguably he was worth $2.5 to $3 at the time and if I remember correctly that's about what Slats was going to give him. Things have deteriorated since but he's not going to be a headache for our management anymore.

Again I don't care what happened in Dallas or L.A. His best seasons were with us. As far as Slats goes--don't worry about him either. IMO Sather is lucky to have survived past the lockout but he knows how to take care of himself. The idea that Avery insulted him--don't make me laugh. He did nothing of the kind. And he didn't demean the organization either. We're at the top of the standings. The truth is we didn't need Sean anymore. Simple as that and he obviously didn't want to be a minor leaguer like Redden--maybe he had a little more pride. Did we need his cap hit at the trade deadline?--not really. As far as these alleged internecine battles between Torts and Avery I'm not interested in taking sides. I see one main thing. Torts is the coach and his team is winning. No reason to question his decision making.
It doesn't piss me of that people still liked him. It pissed me off that people would consistently bring up a third liner who was at the end of his prime in threads or discussions that had nothing to do with him. And it was the same people all the time.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I love when RB steps into Avery threads

The guy played his ass off for the team, finished a playoff game with a ruptured spleen, was a main factor in winning the 2 playoff series the Rangers have won since the lockout...he clashed with the current coach and burned the bridge, that's it and that's all.

Best of luck to Sean, he's a smart guy outside of hockey and will do a great job maintaining his level of wealth.
Didn't he go into cardiac arrest at the hospital because of it?

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote