HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mr. Claude Giroux

Old
03-12-2012, 09:29 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

vCash: 500
What a misleading title, I thought it was about what I write in my notebooks when I'm daydreaming...

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 07:48 AM
HyPnOtiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho Lefty* View Post
Claude Giroux is and will be the best player to ever put on a Flyers uniform. Anyone that does not see this needs to have their head examined, but even with such ailments it will become obvious in a short period of time.
Wow this really looks a lot better than it did 2 years ago.... While I doubt he will be better than big E or clarkey... This isnt an insane statement anymore. bravo for being delusional and lucky

HyPnOtiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyPnOtiK View Post
Wow this really looks a lot better than it did 2 years ago.... While I doubt he will be better than big E or clarkey... This isnt an insane statement anymore. bravo for being delusional and lucky
Or knowing greatness when he saw it. The plays Giroux was making from the moment he became an NHL regular were really special (the assist to Gagne in Game 3 against the Pens, for example). Personally, I'd never seen a Flyer -- aside from Peter Forsberg -- with that supreme level of creativity and hockey IQ. Combine those two attributes with an insatiable competitiveness on the ice and knack for thriving in big moments, and, well, here we are. It was apparent very early on that Giroux had the intangible "it" and would one day be the face of the franchise.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 04:25 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

from the TO game last Saturday, CBC clocked a Giroux wrister (the one that he just barely missed the top corner) at 90MPH

that's disgusting

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
from the TO game last Saturday, CBC clocked a Giroux wrister (the one that he just barely missed the top corner) at 90MPH

that's disgusting
Didn't people on here before say he didn't have a good shot?? That's a wicked wrister

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 05:19 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Didn't people on here before say he didn't have a good shot?? That's a wicked wrister
I never understood that line of thinking because G's shot is lethal... when he decides to use it. Remember that bullet against the Devils in Game 5 in 2010? Or the countless other snipes he's had over the course of his career? Giroux can pick corners with the best of them and put the puck where he wants. His shot's got some heat on it, too. The problem is G's passing and play-making have always overshadowed his shot and goal-scoring ability -- he certainly doesn't help the stigma by frustratingly eschewing shooting in favor of passing far too often.

I truly believe Giroux is capable of being a 40-goal scorer. Whether he becomes one is up to him.

Old
03-13-2012, 05:33 PM

The best thing about Giroux is that he's clearly not the finished article yet. He favours the pass almost every time, if he ever manages to make the distinction between when to pass and when to shoot he could go even further....120 points? 150? 500?

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I personally was under the assumption at the time that measurement was in KPH, being in Canada, and that the announcers simply saw the figure and said mph by mistake... approximately 60mph wristshot falls in line with a 'pretty hard' wristshot... remember a few years ago think an ECHL or CHL team had hardest wristshot comp and the top guy got like 65ish mph.

90mph for a wristshot is crazy, just physics wise, doubt any NHL player gets 80+.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 05:51 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
I personally was under the assumption at the time that measurement was in KPH, being in Canada, and that the announcers simply saw the figure and said mph by mistake... approximately 60mph wristshot falls in line with a 'pretty hard' wristshot... remember a few years ago think an ECHL or CHL team had hardest wristshot comp and the top guy got like 65ish mph.

90mph for a wristshot is crazy, just physics wise, doubt any NHL player gets 80+.
Yea this^ 90KPH would be about 55 MPH.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
The best thing about Giroux is that he's clearly not the finished article yet. He favours the pass almost every time, if he ever manages to make the distinction between when to pass and when to shoot he could go even further....120 points? 150? 500?
It's the same thing that happened with Crosby. He's a pass-first player who spent his early years primarily setting up teammates before realizing he had the ability to be a top goal-scorer (then he put up 51 goals in '09-10 and was easily on pace for 50+ again last season before the concussion). I think we could see a similar progression with Giroux.

Old
03-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Wils98

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post

that's disgusting
it was 90kph, which is like 60 mph

EDIT: oops, sorry just saw the replies

Wils98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 06:09 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

This thread makes me miss Gagne.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
This thread makes me miss Gagne.
Gags will always be a Flyer, but the Flyers made the right move by trading him. 5.5 million for a player who is battling injuries every year and actually could be done after receiving another concussion this year. Homer didn't get much but the salary relief was enough because Gags was definitely on the down slide of his career.

And i'm not bashing Gags, loved watching him with Forsberg in his prime. That was amazing. I just think they did the right thing in trading him.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:54 PM
FLYERSxGIROUX28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Or knowing greatness when he saw it. The plays Giroux was making from the moment he became an NHL regular were really special (the assist to Gagne in Game 3 against the Pens, for example). Personally, I'd never seen a Flyer -- aside from Peter Forsberg -- with that supreme level of creativity and hockey IQ. Combine those two attributes with an insatiable competitiveness on the ice and knack for thriving in big moments, and, well, here we are. It was apparent very early on that Giroux had the intangible "it" and would one day be the face of the franchise.
that comment nearly describes my description of Giroux to a tee, well done.
and not to brag, but I watched Giroux a few times while he was in junior because I read something about him. Called he was going to be a really good player, and when the Flyers drafted him I said he would be the best Flyer. Now that was in part because he was one of my favorites, but called it nonetheless. And I looked at Bob through a friend before we signed him... liked wellwood too, hoping that will turn out. Should be a scout ! haha jk

FLYERSxGIROUX28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
I never understood that line of thinking because G's shot is lethal...when he decides to use it. Remember that bullet against the Devils in Game 5 in 2010? Or the countless other snipes he's had over the course of his career? Giroux can pick corners with the best of them and put the puck where he wants. His shot's got some heat on it, too. The problem is G's passing and play-making have always overshadowed his shot and goal-scoring ability -- he certainly doesn't help the stigma by frustratingly eschewing shooting in favor of passing far too often.

I truly believe Giroux is capable of being a 40-goal scorer. Whether he becomes one is up to him.
That's Giroux's only negative for me. He needs constant egging on by teammates and coaches to shoot the puck. I don't know if he'll ever score 40, but he certainly shouldn't be struggling to hit 30.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote