HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

IF the Habs land Grigorenko, would you want Roy as the new head coach?

View Poll Results: IF the Habs land Grigorenko, would you wan Roy as the new head coach?
Yes 84 62.22%
No 51 37.78%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-13-2012, 02:31 PM
PricePkPatch

vCash: 500
I wanna see him as a coach. He's a true competitor, and I know he can fire up people around him.

Have a strong selection of technicians as assistants, and he'll do great.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 02:39 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
I love O'Byrne. However, he had to go for his own sake. After scoring into his own nets, he was finished for the Habs because the fans and the media were all over him. Management did what they had to in order to salvage something from this player. I hated losing O'Byrne, but was proud of the fact that our organization recognized that he would not be able to develop in our city and sent him to play elsewhere.

It is a shame we lost such a potentially terrific player. It was NOT management's fault. Sometimes we fans (and especially the damned media) need to stand up and accept our share of the responsibility for things that happen to our team.
??? Maybe some fans. A minority. Not the media.

When you have a big horse like that, a RH d-man on top of that, you keep him even if he plays on the 3rd pairing.

Nothing against Bournival, but a big strong d-man is more important than a potential frail 3rd line center/winger.

... And it was obviously management's fault... Like the K Bros, Latendresse, Lapierre.....

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
Theres ZERO chance Roy agrees to coach in Hamilton. Even mentioning that is absurd. he is not some prospect we are trying to develop. I for one, will be pretty pissed if he is not the coach. Bring him and Robinson to coach the D , that would be the best scenario IMO
If this is the case, we're better off without Tremblay part 2.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 02:59 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
So for you there is no diffrence between a HOF goalie who won 4 cups by himself and coached a team for 7 years...and a guy who was behind a microphone and never coached a pee-wee team in his whole life ?

Old
03-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
I have my doubts on Roy, but I don't think he would be another Tremblay. In any event, I'm sure he'd be a lot better than RC and Carbo.

The biggest fear I keep reading when people speak of Roy, is that he's too big for Mtl, it would be a mess, and that his hard nosed approach wouldn't quite work on older men.
But nobody speaks of the most important thing, his understanding of the game. Also, Mtl is not new to him, he absolutely knows what to expect.

As dumb as he may sound, I don't think he would come in thinking he can speak to Brian Gionta the same way he speaks to an 18yo kid, and one thing's for sure, he would not have any problem handling our ''troubled'' russians.

Ideally, I want a NHL veteran coach. If Ruff is not kept in Buffalo, I'm looking at him and Robinson. If those two don't pan out, then I'm definitely looking at Roy.

But we have to look at the GM before anyways because no coach will be chosen ahead of the GM.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
So for you there is no diffrence between a HOF goalie who won 4 cups by himself and coached a team for 7 years...and a guy who was behind a microphone and never coached a pee-wee team in his whole life ?

Again, if that's the case with Roy, we're better off without Tremblay part 2.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 04:40 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I have my doubts on Roy, but I don't think he would be another Tremblay. In any event, I'm sure he'd be a lot better than RC and Carbo.

The biggest fear I keep reading when people speak of Roy, is that he's too big for Mtl, it would be a mess, and that his hard nosed approach wouldn't quite work on older men.
But nobody speaks of the most important thing, his understanding of the game. Also, Mtl is not new to him, he absolutely knows what to expect.

As dumb as he may sound, I don't think he would come in thinking he can speak to Brian Gionta the same way he speaks to an 18yo kid, and one thing's for sure, he would not have any problem handling our ''troubled'' russians.

Ideally, I want a NHL veteran coach. If Ruff is not kept in Buffalo, I'm looking at him and Robinson. If those two don't pan out, then I'm definitely looking at Roy.

But we have to look at the GM before anyways because no coach will be chosen ahead of the GM.
Ruff won't come here and Robinson doesn't want (and he's not very good at it) be a head coach.

Roy is one option but NOT the ONLY option.

If Phoenix would be relocated in Quebec City, I guess Dave Tippett would NOT move with the team. Roy would be offered the job. If you give me the choice - even if he is unilingual - I would pick Tippett over Roy any day of the week as a head coach.

Old
03-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

I hate Roy as a person, but I want him for coach.

That's what Gainey, Carbo, Martin, Cunneyworth do to you.

I want passion and emotion.

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 04:49 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
I hate Roy as a person, but I want him for coach.

I want the guy like the one in your avatar to play D: Lyle Odelein

Old
03-13-2012, 05:03 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post

I never thought Carbonneau lacked emotion. I remember him always looking for explanations from the refs, and mouthing cusswords at bad calls. I remember one game in particularly heated game against the Bruins where he had a shouting match with Julien.

I think people are a little afraid of Roy though. I don't know the guy personally, but he often comes across as a very stubborn person. I think there is a danger in too much of that. It may be an unwarranted image, though.

Last edited by andy28: 03-13-2012 at 05:08 PM.
andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 05:06 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
I love O'Byrne. However, he had to go for his own sake. After scoring into his own nets, he was finished for the Habs because the fans and the media were all over him. Management did what they had to in order to salvage something from this player. I hated losing O'Byrne, but was proud of the fact that our organization recognized that he would not be able to develop in our city and sent him to play elsewhere.

It is a shame we lost such a potentially terrific player. It was NOT management's fault. Sometimes we fans (and especially the damned media) need to stand up and accept our share of the responsibility for things that happen to our team.
I totally disagree with you.

You said that you are a coach. When a kid makes a mistake, do you bench that kid immediately? And after benching him, do you make him sit in the stands for the next several games?

Or do you "coach" that kid on how to not make that mistake in a positive manner and instill confidence in that kid by showing him that you trust him and his ability to learn from adversity.

Blaming fans and media is a cop out and an excuse for the piss poor coaching ability of Jacques Martin.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 05:14 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I totally disagree with you.

You said that you are a coach. When a kid makes a mistake, do you bench that kid immediately? And after benching him, do you make him sit in the stands for the next several games?
I agree with this. The fans did not run O'Byrne out. That own-goal was not a big deal. The guy was not getting ice time here.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote