HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Funniest moments of your hockey career

Old
03-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Ozz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
At a tournament several years ago, we were really beating up on another team on a scoreboard and they were getting pretty frustrated. After a high stick, a scrum ensued and I ended up punching another player in the back of the head (yes, dirty move on my part). We ended up fighting, and he got tossed out of the game while I didn't get anything but a roughing penalty. After the game, I headed back to my hotel and got on the elevator. There was one other person in there. The player I fought. Talk about awkward elevator rides.
I was so expecting to read something like "...and a fight erupted in the elevator".

That reminds me of an inline tourney I played in once. Across the street was a mall, and at one point with hours between our games we went over there and skated through it a la Mighty Ducks. The security eventually caught us and made us take them off and walk out in our socks, but it was hilarious while it lasted, listening to the loud speaker announcements for them to go and catch us.

Ozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 04:43 AM
Dustin Peener
I wanna be sedated

vCash: 3500
One of my teammates showed up at practice last night completely baked
And another teammate had a breakaway against me in scrimmage and did an Orlov

Dustin Peener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:19 PM
OpenIceHit42

Went to make a line change my sophomore year of high school one foot over the boards and the other one didn't make it so far, I ended up on my back in the bench.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Trevor3

During a house league game in Bantam, I was carrying the puck up the boards past the penalty box when a guy on the other team hit me. I went through the gate and landed in the penalty box.

We had this guy on my Midget B team, this was back in 2008, and we were at provincials out in St. John's. We had been down 2-0 to Mount Pearl until the 3rd period and we needed to win to move into the medal round. We were kind of tense, so being the captain I tried to loosen the atmosphere with some rambling foolishness, turned on some music in the room, just tried to get the mood a little more positive. As we skate back on the ice, this guy who was my D partner skates over and says "Man, we're going to lose, nobody is taking this seriously", I just say to him that we're looser, more relaxed, we're going to play our game and come back. He says "whatever" and skates away disgusted. Anyway, we fight back and tie the game at 2. With about 1 minute left there's a faceoff in our zone, our centreman loses the draw and misses tying up his man. Mount Peal's defenceman takes a shot which is heading straight into our goalie's chest, square in the logo. This jackass defenceman on my team steps up to block the shot put is too scared to get in front of it so he puts out his stick. The puck deflects straight up and over our goalie's head (the goalie is now in a panic trying to find the damn puck), it lands on the goal line and slides into the net. Our defenceman/pro shot blocker turns around and throws his gloves and stick into the corner and shouts F&%K. Everyone stops, including the celebrating team to stare at him. He comes back to the bench and says to "told you we would lose" and has never forgiven the goaltender, to this day he says that poor guy is the worst goaltender he ever played with.

A few weeks before that same guy was playing on my house league team. He screwed up something on his shift so he comes toward the bench and signals for a change. I stand up to hop over the boards when he takes his stick and fires it toward the bench. He misses the bench, nails the glass with his stick which proceeds to bounce straight back at him as he skates forward. He tries to dodge it, but it nails him square in the face, stuns him and he falls over. I laughed so hard I forgot to jump on the ice and we ended up shorthanded for about a minute.

One more for good measure: Growing up, our biggest rival was the B team from Corner Brook. One year in Peewee we were at a tournament and doing pretty bad, we lost every game actually. On the last day, Corner Brook was sitting in position for the gold medal game with no games remaining. The only team that could catch them was Gander, who needed to win by 13 against us to move ahead. We went out and proceeded to roll over and surrender 13 goals. When it got to 10-0 they would run the clock between whistles. The Corner Brook guys were there and constantly threw stuff on the ice, trying to cause stops in play and force the clock to run out before we could give up 3 more goals. It didn't work, we finished last but took them down with us. Just for the record, we ended up beating Gander at provincials that year 1-0, so we weren't actually that bad.

Trevor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Frankie Spankie

I haven't been playing for too long, started at 17 and now 23, all of my time was in beer league too, as it will by the time I die.

Funniest thing I ever did to somebody else was a guy who wound up for a huge slapshot and I was backchecking him. He had no idea I was there and I guess he didn't feel my stick holding his stick up by his neck. He put all his weight into the shot but his stick was held up high by my stick. His feet just gave went forward as his upper body stayed in the same position and fell flat on his ass. I've actually done that a couple times and at least the shooter always laughs about it.

Funniest thing I saw somebody else do that I wasn't involved on was a guy from the point wound up to take a slapshot. I don't know if he had a stiffer stick than usual or just misjudged where the puck was, but he took a shot. His stick hit the ice a few inches behind the puck, as it should, but it never flexed or anything, it just stopped there. He put his weight into the shot for leverage but since his stick wasn't going anywhere, he just fell on his knees. He got up and tried to dump it into the corner because a defender was going after him and did the exact same thing on a simple dump in. After the defender stole it and went in on a breakaway, he just lied on the ice laughing, everybody else just skated up to him laughing too.

Just thought of one more: I always get on the ice while the zambonis going around so I'll stretch while they're still getting the ice ready. I was done stretching and went to sit on the door. The outside of the door was completely flush with the boards but the latch must have been broken or something. The door just started to swing open but I didn't feel the door open, I just felt myself falling. Then bam, hit the ice hard. I had two other teammates there that only saw the end result of me laughing on the ice until one of my teammates who was just getting on the ice explained what happened and we were all laughing.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 07:24 PM
Halifaxhab*

I can't believe I'm saying this but 22 years ago (yes....I am getting very old) I was playing in a big Family hockey tournament held in Noelville ON where each family from the area puts a team in. Anyway, we were playing against a family that we are very close to (see f n related as in our cousins) and the game was getting out of hand and my team was moving on to the finals (it was 12-2).

Anyway, my Dad (43yo at the time) goes into the corner to clear our zone, and the opposing fwd (a 17 yo who played Jr. A tier II at the time) smoked him from behind. the old fart didn't like that, got up while the punk was chirping him and my dad spit his dentures into the kids face and proceeded to jersey him and just pummel him all while laughing...it looked just like the scene from slap shot where the toothless guy was pounding a Chief.

The bench clearing brawl afterwards was a good time. And then both teams were drinking beer together and laughing at the punk kid who got schooled by the old man. Our Grandmother (I said we were all cousins) came to the bar and pointed at my cousin and laughed at him then slapped my dad and gave him crap because dentures are expensive.

Priceless.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 09:27 PM
SCritical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
I was so expecting to read something like "...and a fight erupted in the elevator".

That reminds me of an inline tourney I played in once. Across the street was a mall, and at one point with hours between our games we went over there and skated through it a la Mighty Ducks. The security eventually caught us and made us take them off and walk out in our socks, but it was hilarious while it lasted, listening to the loud speaker announcements for them to go and catch us.
Ok that's defiantely on my bucket list!

I had a shocker of a practice yesterday. During warm up I was skating with the puck, but I did not keep my head up and ran into the boards at speed, bounced off and knocked over our goalie who was skating behind me. She was less than impressed, to say the least.

Then later we were practicing drop passes and when it was my turn, I got caught looking down again and collided with the player I was supposed to be passing to, winding both of us.

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:14 PM
Finnish your Czech
BestPosterAvailable

vCash: 50
I remember few years ago my team was in a tournament, where we lost all the games by a lot. During the last game we were getting blown out, and we had a power play, the other team dumped the puck into our zone and our defenceman got the puck and was skating down the zone with it, then when he's at the blue line, instead of continuing skating, he curls around and goes on a breakaway on our own goalie.

Our goalie made the save too

Finnish your Czech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:26 PM
SidGenoMario

I got kicked out of my last ever game for hitting from behind. Not really funny, just more unique. It was an accident. Kind of a crappy way to end your hockey career.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:04 PM
ATLhockey437

-slipped during a team picture after making the conference team. My dad got the whole thing on video too but I don't know how to post it and kind of don't want to.

-I was 11 in a roller skills comp for a tournament I shot a puck thru the hole in the middle from the red line and won a free pair of skates. Was 1 of 3 kids to do it. Was basically the exact same thing as the twin 50k story.

Last edited by ATLhockey437: 03-20-2012 at 12:08 PM.
ATLhockey437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:09 PM
Malreg

We were playing a pretty weak team when I was in Bantam or Midget once, and the other team had this one player who was especially weak. Said player took a slapshot from the top of the circle, ended up almost fanning on the puck and it slowly trickled towards our goalie. I was circling in front of the net when the player took the shot, and our goalie, while waiting for the slowest slapshot ever to reach him, started yelling "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"(think Austin Powers steamroller scene...) as he played the puck into the corner.

I ended up laughing so hard as I went to get the puck, I wiped out into the boards.

Malreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 10:16 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I'm a defensemen, my team was on the PP. I cranked a shot from the point, ringing it off the iron but the puck basically came out right back to me. I walked in because I got tons of space and really leaned into a wrister ringing it off the post again, but at this point I was basically crashing the net. The puck came off the post, hit me in the face, goes in the net, and I'm on the ice holding my face.

It was the dumbest goal I've ever scored...and it hurt.

Not really a part of my career, but one of the funniest things I've seen is during a shootout during one of my friends games. He got a chance to shoot on the shootout, goes in, and pings it off the post. The puck goes straight up and everyone assumes that the play is dead. The next shooter comes out and the puck finally drops, off the goalie and into the net. No one knew what to do, it was awesome.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 05:41 PM
connor macdavid
Press Box Rat

vCash: 400
Tourney in Peterborough last season...
Playing Barrie Jr. Colts...
We had this one kid on our team who'd just been cut from AAA...into hard drugs you know thatstory...

Anyways he'd only played in 2 of our first 7 or 8 games, and he just shows up in Peterborough.

So we get down 5 or 6 -zip after 20, and the next period the most laid-back kid on my team gets jumped from behind by this mental kid from Barrie.
But the crazy kid on my team (who'd been tossed from both of his previous games)...was like 'Nobody upstages ME!'
So after the mental kid from Barrie got out of the box, he skated right back to mr. Laid-back on my team, and tries to hit him from behind...
He missed, but got two for charging.
As he skates past our bench with the linesman, he starts chirping the psycho kid on my team , saying **** like 'Hey crackhead, pass the Vitamin K!'
Anyways kid gets out of the box, and I swear to god the psycho kid on my team was standing, not moving. The Barrie kid skates by him and, without moving, he elbows the Barrie kid in the face. Barrie kid stays down.
Now the Barrie bench clears, and four guys go for psycho.
He crosschecks two of em in the face, slashes another one in the neck, and the third one's the Barrie backup.
He tries to blocker Psycho, but Psycho blocks the swing , pulls the blocker off and starts beating the goalie with his own blocker.
Once the linesman finally pried him off, the Barrie parents were all over Psycho.
Flickin him the bird, calling the cops, etc..
Then he tried to hop the glass...

connor macdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Eamonn*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
I got kicked out of my last ever game for hitting from behind. Not really funny, just more unique. It was an accident. Kind of a crappy way to end your hockey career.
Had a similar scenario myself. I went four years without taking a single penalty (includes spring/summer hockey as well). My first every penalty was a hitting from behind game misconduct, which I should add was ********. Game was really chippy (this was PeeWee AAA) and a guy on the other team got ejected for elbowing one of my teammates in the head causing a concussion. Anyways defensemen has puck on the boards, I go in to pin him and I do just that, I pin him completely just normal pin, I get ejected. I was so pissed it wasn't even funny.

Then the very next game, I get a partial break on this other chippy team, dman cross checks me in the ribs and I lsoe the puck, dman goes to get it and I give him a little shove from behind and I get called for hitting form behind and ejected again. That one I guess coulda been a call, but it wasnt against the boards, and it was more from the side than the back.

But anyways.. I don't remember a lot of the funny stuff, although I know there were a bunch.

One that sticks out to me though was this 6foot tall dman on my team, he had the puck behind our net, skates from behind and takes a slap shot on the other teams goalie, puck goes high and breaks the class behind the opposing teams net.. it was crazy. Game had to be cancelled.

Eamonn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:13 AM
Royal Canuck
Ronnie Hockey!

vCash: 814
my buddy getting hit from behind and freaking out was pretty funny.

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:04 AM
Dr Van Nostrand
Banned

We were practicing deflections once in practice. Dude with the hardest shot winds up, hits me right under the shoulder pads. Biggest bruise I ever had.

One game, coach pulled the goalie with 45 seconds left and I'm out on the ice. Doesn't work out well, as they take the puck down to the high slot without any resistance. I go towards the net, and as an ex-goalie myself I try to stop the shot. It's pretty far to my right so I use my foot to stop it. The puck lands UNDER my blade, I eat **** and am laughing at center ice as my team scores the tying goal.

I'm a "crash the net" player, so it's pretty obvious what I'm doing on the ice. One time a few years back, a player comes up and throws his stick at my feet (no clue why) and I fall down. Ref raises his hand, I slide on my stomach into the goalie and the net and take it off the moorings. Same kid comes back to me, wants to fight me for falling into the netminder. I say something along the lines of "**** no," and hit him on the back of the calf heading back to the bench. Apparently he tried diving and got another two minutes.

Dr Van Nostrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Nothing outstanding, but here are some weird ones.

As a kid, the only goal I ever scored was when someone took a shot off my cage and it bounced outside the zone, everyone stopped except for me who took it down for an empty netter. Pretty sad.

At the end of the year, each kid got a picture of a highlight (goal usually) because they taped the games. Mine was hitting a kid so hard he was literally horizontal about three feet off the ice. I was about 6" taller and 40 pounds heavier than the rest of them. Didn't last long.

My first year of beer league, went to lift a girl's stick in front of the net and hit it so hard the damn thing hit the ceiling.

Got a couple weird assists this year...one was my defenseman flipping the puck out of trouble down the ice. I was chasing the puck all alone and the goalie went to play it, saw me, freaked out, and then missed it while it slid in.

Another one was last game, where I sent a hard pass to a guy on my team with brick hands. He barely got a stick on it at the far blue line, where the puck slowly slid across the zone and the goalie stood there while it went in. Pretty sure he was an emergency guy since he never dropped down and I think we won 12-0 or something.

Big guy on my team first year, 6'4 350 or so, hilarious because he would trash talk and nobody would say anything because he's a giant. He took a wrister from the blue line and it literally exploded some guy's Tuuk. Just pieces everywhere. The only guy I knew who could actually use a 120 flex stick.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Skraut

Don't know if it's funny or sad, but in the 3 years I've played adult beginner hockey I've scored 2 goals, and haven't seen either one go in.

I play D, and the first was me corralling the puck at the blue line seeing a player coming at me, panicking and "passing" it forward. I still wasn't good going backwards from a stop, so turned my back to the play because I figured I had just created a bad turnover as the puck was headed right to one of their players, and started heading back towards my net. At center ice I finally had the speed to pivot and skate backwards and noticed everybody cheering. Apparently it went off a couple of their players skates and in.

The second one was I ended up out there on the Power Play for some strange reason. The puck came back to me and I had all the time in the world. So I wound up and fired a slapshot. I made contact with the puck, and the next thing I know I've completely lost my balance belly flopped, and slammed my cage into the ice. I kind of layed there stunned for a moment staring straight down at the ice an inch from my face, when again everybody cheered.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Heard this one from a teammate. He was on a team with his older brother and they're both on the bench. I guess the older brother says something to him about his play on the ice. The younger says something and they go back and forth for a minute or two before it turns into a shoving match on their own bench.

The ref skates over and sends them both to the penalty box for what just happened even though they're on the same team. They had to sit in the same penalty box next to each other too.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:21 AM
SMR
Rookie User

My brother, who is very pridefull, was playing defense and was positioned right in the left side of the net. The other team took a shot from the point. My brother tried to block the shot, but instead deflected it to the other corner of the net, giving the other team the game winning goal. He wouldn't talk to anyone for days he was so mad at himself. We still mess with him about that. And he still gets upset.

SMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:55 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Had my first tournament in a year this past weekend, and not having played ice in several years I was kinda exhausted after we had our 3rd game in 18 hrs (including one that wrapped up at 2:30am earlier that morning).

Last half of the period, we're down 8-3, and our left wing comes off after the opposing team had scored. I had come off the shift prior, still somewhat winded from taking an extended shift, so I'm not expecting to go out right away. Bench is yelling LW, and I'm still thinking "Yeah, just came off". After a few seconds, I realize our left wing isn't going back out so I skate out and skate to where I think I should be lining up.....except that I lineup on the opponent's left wing. A few seconds go by, everybody is looking at me, and finally the guy whose spot I'm lined up in, taps me on the shins and says "mind if I have my spot?" Both benches are laughing, linemates are laughing, and at this point I'm laughing along. I drifted back across the line, leaned over and told him "We're down by 5 with half a period left. We've got bigger problems besides where I'm lining up."

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 04:18 AM
SCritical

I saw a puck break a skate blade today. Like it hit the middle and left a puck shaped hole in his blade. Bizaare.

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 04:27 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Was parked in front of the net trying to screen the goalie. The point man let off a pretty weak shot, didn't even get off the ice. The defenceman that was standing just in front of me was going to stop the puck but I lifted his stick at the last moment, puck went under his blade, between my feet, into the net. Either the goalie thought his d-man had it or couldn't see around the two of us. No assist, but I had a pretty good grin.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 04:53 PM
650X2

Had a team mate get hit by a girl who was rather butch in open ice.

I swear his whole body turned horizontal then went flying 10 feet into the boards. Looked like something out of the matrix.

650X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:38 AM
ironranger

Back when I was in high school there was some tournament that was going on so we got moved out of our usual locker room and put in a crappy basement one. The stairs down to it weren't covered really well for walking on with skates but we did it anyway. At that practice everyone kept falling due to the stairs messing up our edges. Our coach was getting ticked at us and yelled "Why the hell is everyone falling?!" and my buddy yells back "Because coach the ice is slippery" Everyone but the coach laughed, he made us skate more ha.

ironranger is offline   Reply With Quote