HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

How about Jose Theodore!!!!

Old
03-12-2012, 05:27 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
How about Jose Theodore!!!!

I wasnt the only one who thought we had a huge question mark in goal going into this season, and Im sure Im not the only one who is surprised by how good Theodore has been for us. Vokoun is the better goalie, but, aside from the time Theodore missed with injuries, would Vokoun have done THAT much better than Jose this year? He has been an absolute rock for us this year, and my confidence in him has been as high as any Panther goalie for some time now. I have no problem with him and Markstrom going 1a/1b next year, and even have him be that 1b for a season or two afterwards. Hell of a season he is having for us, and Im glad he is a Panther

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Depends how much money he is looking for next summer. But I'd love to have him back if he's willing to stay here for cheap. Markstrom's going to need a vet to support him.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Erick

Theodore has said he'd like to retire here.

He's also said this is the most fun he's had in his career. Said it earlier this year.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Erick

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=939977

Old
03-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Depends how much money he is looking for next summer. But I'd love to have him back if he's willing to stay here for cheap. Markstrom's going to need a vet to support him.
As Erick linked to, Theo is already signed for next year at a $1.5 million cap hit. He's good to go. Theodore/Markstrom is basically set for next season.

Jonathan Huberdeau: 2013 Calder Trophy Winner
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:44 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

It's amazing to look back at how some of us really questioned Tallon signing him as our starter when he's played as well as he has. Without him, I think we might not even have a better record than say Carolina as he's single-handed stolen many games for us with his stellar play. I'd be completely fine letting him get an extension over maybe the next two seasons in a 1a/1b and then if still playing, as a backup.

FlaPnthrsPunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 06:00 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
As Erick linked to, Theo is already signed for next year at a $1.5 million cap hit. He's good to go. Theodore/Markstrom is basically set for next season.
No, I know, I should have been more specific, but that's why I said next summer instead of this summer.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 06:18 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Big fan. I'm a firm believer that good goaltending doesn't have to be a $7 million dollar a year investment.

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

I admit I was really nervous about signing him and letting Vokoun walk. Happy to eat this plate of crow (can someone pass the ketchup please?)

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 07:39 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I wasnt the only one who thought we had a huge question mark in goal going into this season, and Im sure Im not the only one who is surprised by how good Theodore has been for us. Vokoun is the better goalie, but, aside from the time Theodore missed with injuries, would Vokoun have done THAT much better than Jose this year? He has been an absolute rock for us this year, and my confidence in him has been as high as any Panther goalie for some time now. I have no problem with him and Markstrom going 1a/1b next year, and even have him be that 1b for a season or two afterwards. Hell of a season he is having for us, and Im glad he is a Panther
Not so sure Vokoun is better than Theodore anymore. You don't see very many players shooting from center ice trying to beat Theodore like they do Vokoun.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 07:46 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
I was always for letting Vokoun go. I was scared everynight he was in goal. When he'd let in a blueline shot without any screen in or a shot coming down the goalline from the corner go in. Sure I wasn't super happy with Theo signing but he did have solid number last season. What mostly scared me was Theo-Clemmer duo

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:06 AM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Theodore has been lights out. There is literally nothing to complain about with this signing. He's done everything you could ask of him as a goaltender and then some. The value we got for the money he makes is absurd. Good job Tallon.

Would be more than happy to sign this guy to another contract if he keeps up form over next season.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:11 AM
harv3317

THEO >>>>>>> than VOKOUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

with vokuon we'd be in the lottery hunt!!!!!!!!
WITH THEO WERE COMPETING FOR THE CONFERENCE TITLE!!!!!!!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:15 AM
CatWoman34
Fool on the Hill

I loved T-Vo, and was sad when he walked. I was nervous about our Theo/Clemmer tandem.

But I'm 100% on board with Theo! He's been a saviour for us many nights. I'm really glad he's happy with our team and it's so great to have guys who want to play for us.

CatWoman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:39 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWoman34 View Post
I loved T-Vo, and was sad when he walked. I was nervous about our Theo/Clemmer tandem.

But I'm 100% on board with Theo! He's been a saviour for us many nights. I'm really glad he's happy with our team and it's so great to have guys who want to play for us.
Most rknowledgeable rational fans were. And so was management. To be fair vokoun was their lst choice but not at any price. So when he priced himself out, give tallon credit for a great inexpensive pickup, that thank god has overachieved.

Can't wait for the theo Markstrom tandem.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:54 AM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
What's funny about the situation is that Vokoun took less money to have worse playoff odds between the two clubs. He could have made more money here for longer term and have a better chance as it stands now.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:38 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post

No we wouldnt man. You are way too harsh on him man. I dont see how we could have been that much worse than we are now.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:10 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:

A little extreme?

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:39 AM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
Theo has been sick all year. Turned out to be one of the better signings Tallon made.

How many more year does he have in the tank? This year, next and maybe one more? Guy is 35, hard to believe though. Looks like 25.

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 03:57 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Theo has been amazing, what a year he is having!

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

vCash: 50
Quote:

No way we would be competing for a conference title with this offense scoring barely two goals game..We are one of the worst teams in scoring and if you are competing for a conference title you can allow three of these embarrasing shutout losses. And there were a few more terrible games.. Cant happen. You cant lose but not like we did.

Boothinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Erick

I'll play devil's advocate here and say that Theodore is getting no more support than Vokoun did in his time here.

We're basically scoring at the same rate we did last year.

And, in terms of defensive systems, I'm not sure if this one is better than the one we had under DeBoer. I could be wrong, but it seems like we've allowed more odd-man rushes this year. Tallon, Dineen and company want a high-scoring team so there are a lot of chances taken leaving Theodore (and Clemmer) out to dry, at times. The problem is we're not scoring any more than we did before.

I seriously don't know where we'd be without the goaltending.

Maybe the team just needed a change in mentality too. For whatever reason, the team has been A LOT BETTER at getting points in close games this year. Sometimes it's not just about making saves, but also the timing of the saves.

It's a tough team to figure out but my point is that we might be a lottery team with Vokoun, indeed. In terms of goals scored per game/goals allowed per game as a team, our rates are very similar to last year's. We actually scored more goals per game the year before last when we also ended up tanking.

I liked Vokoun and still do believe he's a good goaltender, but the numbers don't lie. There's no guarantee we'd be having the same type of success with him still here.

Last edited by Erick: 03-13-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old
03-13-2012, 05:46 PM
harv3317

thanks erick. excellent post!!!!! ofcourse there is no way to know, all speculation but imho vokuon would have us in the lottery chase under the same circumstances we have had this year!!!!!! theo has been unbelievable, playing up to his past vezina ability. without him we'd be up the creek.
C'MON BOYS FINISH THE SEASON OFF RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPEFULLY PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!!!!

keep your finger's crossed!!!!!!!!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:25 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
I'll play devil's advocate here and say that Theodore is getting no more support than Vokoun did in his time here.

We're basically scoring at the same rate we did last year.

And, in terms of defensive systems, I'm not sure if this one is better than the one we had under DeBoer. I could be wrong, but it seems like we've allowed more odd-man rushes this year. Tallon, Dineen and company want a high-scoring team so there are a lot of chances taken leaving Theodore (and Clemmer) out to dry, at times. The problem is we're not scoring any more than we did before.

Maybe the team just needed a change in mentality too. For whatever reason, the team has been A LOT BETTER at getting points in close games this year. Sometimes it's not just about making saves, but also the timing of the saves.

It's a tough team to figure out but my point is that we might be a lottery team with Vokoun, indeed. In terms of goals scored per game/goals allowed per game as a team, our rates are very similar to last year's. We actually scored more goals per game the year before last when we also ended up tanking.

I liked Vokoun and still do believe he's a good goaltender, but the numbers don't lie. There's no guarantee we'd be having the same type of success with him still here.
LMAO I love your post Erick! About as spot on, honest, and neutral as it gets!

This, totally! LOL

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:36 PM
p9ers

Quote:

I certainly have seen a lot less "third period melt down" this year than last year. I wouldn't blame it solely on Vokoun though, our defensive corps is better imo.
But Theo has certainly shown to be more clutch than Vokoun, but to say lottery, no. But no playoff either.

p9ers is offline   Reply With Quote