HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sean Avery to Retire? - Brooks: Avery Tells Post he will retire

Old
03-13-2012, 05:27 PM
MAYO

vCash: 500
You haters will always bash him on these sites but in the shadows of your living rooms we all know you used to crack a smile at his antics! As mentioned earlier, this guy helped this team alot more than any harm he's ever brought their way. I don't have the energy to argue with all the haters here, but know one thing, the way Torts dealt with Avery was simply disgusting and as much as you guys all think Torts has brought us to where we are and not our pro scouts and real hockey trades over the past three years, your on crack!

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 05:38 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYO View Post
...as much as you guys all think Torts has brought us to where we are and not our pro scouts and real hockey trades over the past three years, your on crack!
Because those scouts and trades made a huge difference between the end of last season and the beginning of this one?

Wait, my what crack?

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 05:38 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Avery played hard for us, and always stood up for his teammates. During the dark years, we didn't see much of that. I respect Avery for being there on the ice for anyone wearing his sweater.

He's obviously immature or just a jackass, which is why trouble seems to follow him. Some of it may not have been his fault, but it is what it is. I can't say his reputation as a bad apple is totally undeserved.

I enjoyed the good times with Avery, and even some of the bad. I'm sorry that it ended the way it did, both in terms of his demotion and the way he handled it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him make an appearance a year or two from now, give it one last go. Either way, I'm sure he'll be successful in whatever he decides to do.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 05:42 PM
beastly115

Avery made it so at least when we lost, the game was still entertaining. I wish him the best.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Avery played hard for us, and always stood up for his teammates. During the dark years, we didn't see much of that. I respect Avery for being there on the ice for anyone wearing his sweater.

He's obviously immature or just a jackass, which is why trouble seems to follow him. Some of it may not have been his fault, but it is what it is. I can't say his reputation as a bad apple is totally undeserved.

I enjoyed the good times with Avery, and even some of the bad. I'm sorry that it ended the way it did, both in terms of his demotion and the way he handled it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him make an appearance a year or two from now, give it one last go. Either way, I'm sure he'll be successful in whatever he decides to do.
always the first to stick up for teammates. never seen drury do any of that...he was a great skater, but imagine if they didnt have offsides

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
Avery made it so at least when we lost, the game was still entertaining. I wish him the best.
Same. I wish he didn't retire. A part of me wishes he was still around. :/

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 05:56 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
It doesn't piss me of that people still liked him. It pissed me off that people would consistently bring up a third liner who was at the end of his prime in threads or discussions that had nothing to do with him. And it was the same people all the time.
FWIW Sean got cut early in the season. It was a Tortorella's decision and a coach has to live with the consequences of his decisions. We got off to kind of a ****** start but this team has proven it can do pretty well without Sean--so I'm not here questioning the right or wrong of why. Success is the best barometer. That being said a lot of us remember Sean at his best and he was a difference maker then and he stuck up for his teammates on the ice no matter what Devils, Flyers fans will have you believe that he turtled all the time. Now and again yeah--but it tended to be tactical and he fought above his weight class on a number of occasions and some times to protect his teammates. IMO he was a good Ranger. For some to come on the board now and act like he's stolen his money--given nothing for it over the years--it's ****ed up as far as I'm concerned. His game has deteriorated somewhat and I can understand the coach's decision but crucifying someone for no longer being good enough after he gave quite a lot for this team is a bunch of ********.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 06:01 PM
JayQueensNY88*

hes too young and too good of a hockey player to retire now..he isnt retiring.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 06:16 PM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
always the first to stick up for teammates. never seen drury do any of that...he was a great skater, but imagine if they didnt have offsides
Actually in his first year Drury got in a fight to protect Jagr.

NickyFotiu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 06:34 PM
stan the caddy

Sean Avery has officially pissed everyone off. This guy was damn good at his job.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 06:38 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I used to get a kick out of Avery's antics, a lot of people did. But it's foolish and out there to think Avery had a place on the Rangers or any other NHL team. He was an average hockey player at best. He always skated hard and stood up for his teammates, but that'll only go so far, and he just alienated far too many people.

Good luck to him in his post-hockey career...I for one doubt he'll ever be back, at least in the NHL.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
Actually in his first year Drury got in a fight to protect Jagr.
nah i think that was Orr. i dont remember Drury fighting. im not talking about a wrestling match, those dont count

Old
03-13-2012, 06:44 PM
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ment-talk.html
Avery's agent says he was joking.

HockeyStickHomicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:14 PM
Leetch66

When Avery entered the league with the Wings I doubt anybody ever thought he would leave the game having made Millions ....gotta give him credit and that he is smarter than everybody on here ever gave him credit for...plus he dated some hot babes...and Cuthbert was incredibly hot !!! I hope he finds a team to play with next season...Ottawa or Montreal would be interesting because he would face Phaneuf many times ! His time was up with this team...Torts had it in for him before he was even a coach here .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:21 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyStickHomicide View Post
Avery informed Brooks it wasn't a joke and he's officially retiring:

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/slapsh...6aiej2azcR33xK

Quote:
Officially, that is.

The one-time Rangers winger told The Post on Tuesday morning he will embark on his post-hockey career next month with an advertising agency that has a venture capital wing after announcing his retirement Monday night on the online “After Show” of Bravo TV’s “Watch What Happens Live.”

“I am officially retired,” Avery said on the show. “I threw my skates in the Hudson [River].”

Tuesday morning, Avery told The Post, "No, that wasn't a joke; yes I'm retiring at the end of the season, and it's OK.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:11 PM
petejudge

avery stepped into a team with no personality and no sense of teamwork and was the first guy to really step up and put some fight into his teammates. i'd argue that without having avery, dubinsky wouldn't play the game the same way he plays it now. i think avery had a lot to do with dubinsky picking up the hard-nosed tough as nails style. to go along with his scoring (we don't see much of that scoring this year obviously)

i still believe that sean avery is a better hockey player than some of the other guys who have played forward for this team. i'd take avery over newbury, scott, mza, and some of the other overrated young guys this board seems to gush over (christian thomas is never going to make it guys!)

avery was effective when he played HIS game. torts didn't want avery to play his own game, and it killed his effectiveness. early on in the season avery was EXACTLY the guy this team needed to get the gears going, but when he was sent back down the team was able to do the things they weren't doing effectively before avery so it all worked out.

i'd love to see avery play in a rangers uniform again but i know it will never happen. he had a great run here and made a lot more important plays than the avery haters like to pretend.

petejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:30 PM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
nah i think that was Orr. i dont remember Drury fighting. im not talking about a wrestling match, those dont count
It was Drury not Orr. Not a doubt in my mind. He was coming to the defense of Jagr. It was one of the earliest games he played for us.

NickyFotiu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:05 PM
smsgtkvv

When Avery files his retirement papers with the league office then I might believe him.

smsgtkvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:19 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
It was Drury not Orr. Not a doubt in my mind. He was coming to the defense of Jagr. It was one of the earliest games he played for us.
hmm was it this game???

Old
03-13-2012, 11:56 PM
aemoreira1981

Quote:
To that end, I wonder if the "throw-away" in the Olli Jokinen trade (Brandon Prust) essentially pushed Avery out the door. The way he has acted of late, Avery has really forgotten the meaning of team. It's 23 people, not 22 + 1.

You never see Prust making headlines out of hockey that distract the team. I wonder if the money went to his head.

Even if Avery was joking, I think that any opportunity for Avery will be in Europe.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:38 AM
Mrpuck

Going to miss him if it's true. He was entertaining but playing in a league now that's not catered for him. If he was in his prime back in the late 80's/90's he would have thrived. I still think he ends up somewhere.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:17 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYO View Post
You haters will always bash him on these sites but in the shadows of your living rooms we all know you used to crack a smile at his antics! As mentioned earlier, this guy helped this team alot more than any harm he's ever brought their way. I don't have the energy to argue with all the haters here, but know one thing, the way Torts dealt with Avery was simply disgusting and as much as you guys all think Torts has brought us to where we are and not our pro scouts and real hockey trades over the past three years, your on crack!
The smile I cracked at his antics is nothing compared to the smile I have regarding his demise and to the reverence shown to him here by some.

Now that the circus has left town, it becomes even clearer by his supporters here that he was far more loved for his showmanship than his effectiveness, something his distractors have always maintained.

I believe that Avery has personal issues that prevent him from succeeding in hockey. He had enough talent to make it far bigger, but for whatever reason sabotaged it.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:35 AM
MAYO

Wow, you actually believe that Avery "sabotaged" his own career?!? Here was a player who, I agree, created his persona among those in the NHL and he paid the price for it. He was under severe scrutiny by the officials in the league and opposing players were liberated to do as they wished against him. Not to mention that upper management totally disrespected Ave's with their handling of his affairs this year. You guys still kid yourselves in believing he was let go due to lack of skill set, when we all know this came down to an ego war between Torts and Ave's. Avery still on this team, do we make a trade deadline move for Scott, nope. Does Rupp have better skill set, nope! Do I take Ave's over Mitchell, yep! Again, this is a discussion that could go on for months, as it has in the past. Point is, during our last 3 game losing streak there was something missing, and edge to our game that goes beyond just dropping the gloves, and that edge I think was packed in Sean's hockey bag when we shipped him out of town! Good luck Ave's I wish you nothing but the best!

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 07:06 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

I love the Avery fans What a delusional bunch

Whenever the Rangers lose or aren't playing well it's because they miss Avery. Well they haven't lost much this season and haven't had a major losing streak or any mini-crisis so they haven't missed him at all.

The team is first in east and 2nd overall with 2 games in hand on St.Louis. They really miss Sean

Avery napalmed his way out of every team he was on. LA couldn't wait to dump. Dallas sent him home. The NHL sent him to therapy. The Rangers sent him home. He left destruction every time he left. The Rangers brought him back and he even Averyied them. If it wasn't for Glen Sather and Jim Dolan,Avery's career would have ended in 2009. The Stars would have bought him out. If he kept his mouth shut,followed the rules and did not cause trouble in CT,Sather would have put him on re-entry. Sean couldn't do that. Sean had to be Sean. Good riddance Sean.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 07:22 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I love the Avery fans What a delusional bunch
Weren't you the one who cited a cartoon as "proof" that Sean's focus wasn't hockey?

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote