HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Counting them up

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2003, 11:10 PM
momentai

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
But on your second part of this, the bit I've quoted ... I think you're wrong. Which surprises the hell out of me ... because I was sure that was the case too.

I went too prove just what you've said a couple of days ago ... because last year Pisa's +'s almost all came against the leagues worst EV+/- players ... and while playing with the Oilers best in this regard ... I thought it would be the same with Bergie. But it isn't.

To me Bergeron is like this year's Reasoner ... I don't really have faith in the guy by gut feel, the giveaways stick in my head I guess. But every time I try to prove it ... it goes the other way.

I was convinced that Reasoner just had an extraordinary string of luck ... but on a pressure forecheck team like the Oilers, the centre has a tonne of responsibility, and NOBODY is that lucky.

I went to prove that Marty wasn't playing against quality opposition ... turns out he was. Not as much as Marchant and a few others ... but still. I had an ugly feeling that RPM would melt down this year.

Hell, I was still thinking the Oilers should trade Marty while he was looking like a player ... but its beyond the point of rational argument now, I concede on the Reasoner front. The ultimate compliment to Reasoner is the way the Oilers game odds took a pounding as soon as Reasoner's injury was announced (they didn't give a fig about the Comrie holdout) ... and they've stayed ugly for the Oilers. If the oddsmakers love you ... you're good. Or at least you have a significant impact on the results of your team.

Anyhow ... the point of this whole pre-amble is this; Bergeron is looking like this year's Reasoner. When the Oilers are scoring with Bergie on the ice ... it's against decent competition. I'm not ruling out luck just yet ... but to my mind its getting to the point where its a helluva coincidence. Still early though, could be luck.

But credit where credit is due ... the guy is getting results. I hope he can keep it going. And didn't he lead his team (and the AHL) in +/- last year?
Really, now that is interesting. Who has Bergeron got his pluses this season on? Top quality lines? Was he playing with the line when Dvorak, York, and Torres were on the ice? Because I think that would make a little difference considering how well they have played.. Heck, the way Torres himself has played... he could make a lot of players some pluses.

Now, I'm not bagging on Bergeron at all.. It's just that he hasn't seemed at all solid in his own end. It's such a small sample size so far.. but if he manages to keep this going for the rest of the season, then I'll be more than pleased as I'm sure we'll all be.

As for Reasoner, I wasn't sold on him as a checker either last season. MacT stuck him there and I was like... hmmm.. ok just as long as he doesn't crumble under the pressure of being the premier checker, I'll be happy. But he got steadier as the season went along. He surprised a lot of people that year and it looks like that steadiness carried over to this year. Can't wait to see him back in the lineup.

Old
11-15-2003, 03:34 PM
kraigus

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
Hey now... *I* was saying Rita wouldn't be on the big club to start the season, TOO...

Of course, I said that about Stoll, as well, and was wrong.
In your defence, he may as well not have been.

Closed Thread