HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Brad Richards need to redeem himself? (All Richards discussion)

Old
03-13-2012, 09:54 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
He's red hot right now. Let's hope he keeps it up.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:04 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

vCash: 500
If he plays like this and Lundqvist is back on his game when the playoffs start, there's no reason we can't come out of the East.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:04 PM
ecemleafs

for as "bad" as richards has been this year, he has 23 goals. and is prob on pace for around his career high.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:05 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

That whole line is red hot now. They pass as if they know exactly where the other is.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:05 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Richards putting on a clinic recently on how to be an elite center.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Richards; Redeemed

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:26 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Richards putting on a clinic recently on how to be an elite center.
Funny how putting your #1 center with your best offensive forward can result in offense.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:07 AM
adam94
BU Terriers

I'm going to modifying "better late than never" to "better late than early." Not only is he heating up, but it's at the right time too. Obviously it's much better for him to start producing as we approach the playoffs than at the beginning of the year (although that wouldn't have hurt either). I'm glad he and Gabby finally found chemistry on the ice, and Hags' speed just makes the line that much more potent. We're actually noticing Richie now, which is a large improvement in itself

adam94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:10 AM
Pizza

The only guy a thread like this has not worked on is Dubi.....so ummmm lets try another one of those.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:11 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Funny how putting your #1 center with your best offensive forward can result in offense.
on the flip side, if the top line gets shut down, we better hope we get some more secondary scoring than we have of late. Stepan, AA, and Dubi need to be a lot better. Its amazing how different AA and Stepan look w/o Gabby on that line.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:20 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I still think a ton of it is individual with Richie. Tell me he was skating past defenders and ripping a shot two months ago. You'd be wrong. He looks like a bonafide top center in the league right now, he's making things happen almost every shift.

Hell, look at the Boston game. Richie threw it up the ice, and it did lead to a goal, but if Richie did that now I bet you he hits Hags in stride instead of hitting the boards and Hags slams it home easy.

Old
03-14-2012, 12:21 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

And I agree with Steps too. He looks much worse without Gaborik.

We still need another goal scorer so things really click.

Old
03-14-2012, 01:04 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
I still think a ton of it is individual with Richie. Tell me he was skating past defenders and ripping a shot two months ago. You'd be wrong. He looks like a bonafide top center in the league right now, he's making things happen almost every shift.

Hell, look at the Boston game. Richie threw it up the ice, and it did lead to a goal, but if Richie did that now I bet you he hits Hags in stride instead of hitting the boards and Hags slams it home easy.
no. hes unquestionably playing better right now. ijust dont think he's ever played as badly as ppl have said before. i really think, even his worst games, have been pretty decent games by most ppls standards. ppl wanna compare him to Drury, which is a colossal injustice imho. Richards is 10 times the player Drury ever was as a Ranger.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:57 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
no. hes unquestionably playing better right now. ijust dont think he's ever played as badly as ppl have said before. i really think, even his worst games, have been pretty decent games by most ppls standards. ppl wanna compare him to Drury, which is a colossal injustice imho. Richards is 10 times the player Drury ever was as a Ranger.
Oh I agree, i just think a lot of his struggles have been individual rather than because he's playing with Cally. He only looked really bad for a few week stretch a month or two ago, but other then that he's been fine or really good. But he's on a whole new level right now.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:25 AM
Parker

I remember reading interviews with Richards earlier in the season where he talked a lot about how he was still just learning his new team's tendencies and getting used to where players liked to receive the puck, etc.

Looks like it's really starting to click for him, it's great to see!

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Vitto79

This team has been first in the East for a long time so I never bashed Richards...........you all realize he is a huge reason they are so good right?

hitting is usual pt totalls or not he's a threat all the time and it leaves others open

Nice to see him coming out with a few fantastic games. The signing was great. Not sure how anyone can say its not with the team as a whole rocking it

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
And I agree with Steps too. He looks much worse without Gaborik.

We still need another goal scorer so things really click.
Gabby made everyone look better. Bright side is Cally should be back soon so lets see how he does with him as I imagine they are on a line. Unless the Packline is re-united.

I have no idea what is going to happen with Zuke and the lines as a whole. That kid has to stay in to help the PP but then who sits? Rotation of Feds , Rupp, Mitchell?

I think Dubinsky, Boyle, Prust will be the 3rd line. Likely Anisimov, Stepan, Callahan the 2nd. Then the left overs

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 06:17 AM
CHS

The obvious question is: Why did Torts wait all season before giving Richie and Gabby another shot together? Fine, they didn't look great together at the start of the season but they didn't really get a fair chance. Torts broke them up after a couple of games saying they looked bad together and has been his stubborn self since.

There has been tons of times this season where our offense has been poor, to say the least, and we've won games purely because of our defence and Lundy. Why on earth didn't he try our two best offensive players together at those times when our top 2 lines were struggling and we were getting zero back up from the bottom six?

I haven't seen us create the kind of offense we saw last game for a long time. It was almost like watching another team the way we were sticking in Carolinas zone, making smart plays, finding open ice and scoring freaking goals. It was all thanks to that first line of Hags, Richie and Gabby.

Last edited by CHS: 03-15-2012 at 06:24 AM.
CHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 07:30 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
on the flip side, if the top line gets shut down, we better hope we get some more secondary scoring than we have of late. Stepan, AA, and Dubi need to be a lot better. Its amazing how different AA and Stepan look w/o Gabby on that line.
Gaborik is a star in this league so he can make anyone on his line look really good. This certainly helped the development of AA and Stepan this year. With Hagelin on the first line this will now help Hagelin and raise his belief/confidence level through the moon. You have to like how Torts develops young players.

With that said, it had to be time for Torts to put Richards on that line with Gaborik. Richards has been a proven #1 center for a long time now and it shows.

The secondary scoring should be ok once Cally gets back.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:29 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Why would he have to redeem himself? He has done nothing wrong...i likwd the aiging from day one,his gwg's this season are awesome.He is a big part of why this NYR club is where it is even though he doesnt have 80 points..Yeah im a big fan of Richards and everything he has brought to NY this season

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:40 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Gaborik is a star in this league so he can make anyone on his line look really good. This certainly helped the development of AA and Stepan this year. With Hagelin on the first line this will now help Hagelin and raise his belief/confidence level through the moon. You have to like how Torts develops young players.

With that said, it had to be time for Torts to put Richards on that line with Gaborik. Richards has been a proven #1 center for a long time now and it shows.

The secondary scoring should be ok once Cally gets back.
I do think torts is good at helping some players reach their maximum potential, but I don't think Hagelin is this case. Hagelin has been going at 110% since his first shift after the call-up. He played great and produced with Mitchell and Boyle. Any coach at any level would've moved Hagelin up in this lineup. He's just been unreal. Sure Torts deserves some credit, but most of Hagelin's success is due to his work ethic which almost makes Callahan seem LAZY, his incredible skating and speed, and his great hockey IQ/ability to read the defense and take what's given rather than just trying to force some move he likes to do in practice like a lot of players do. This is why he's been able to be so consistent and I don't see it slowing down for any reason unless he gets out of gas in a tough physical series. Still, I see that as an unlikely possibility because a) he's in such incredible cardiovascular shape and b) he seems to have this uncanny ability to take a hit and just bounce off of it and basically use it to his advantage. For a guy who's barely 6 feet tall, he protects the puck along the boards so ridiculously well.

This kid is playing with such confidence right now. Confidence + blazing speed + legs that never stop + brain that can keep up with the legs = STAR.

I said it months ago. The sky is the limit for Hagelin. I'm not going to anoint him a superstar yet, but I'll say this again: He is going to be a very special player.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:48 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
I do think torts is good at helping some players reach their maximum potential, but I don't think Hagelin is this case. Hagelin has been going at 110% since his first shift after the call-up. He played great and produced with Mitchell and Boyle. Any coach at any level would've moved Hagelin up in this lineup. He's just been unreal. Sure Torts deserves some credit, but most of Hagelin's success is due to his work ethic which almost makes Callahan seem LAZY, his incredible skating and speed, and his great hockey IQ/ability to read the defense and take what's given rather than just trying to force some move he likes to do in practice like a lot of players do. This is why he's been able to be so consistent and I don't see it slowing down for any reason unless he gets out of gas in a tough physical series. Still, I see that as an unlikely possibility because a) he's in such incredible cardiovascular shape and b) he seems to have this uncanny ability to take a hit and just bounce off of it and basically use it to his advantage. For a guy who's barely 6 feet tall, he protects the puck along the boards so ridiculously well.

This kid is playing with such confidence right now. Confidence + blazing speed + legs that never stop + brain that can keep up with the legs = STAR.

I said it months ago. The sky is the limit for Hagelin. I'm not going to anoint him a superstar yet, but I'll say this again: He is going to be a very special player.
I hear you. Hagelin is having a real good rookie season. It is amazing at this time last year he was NOT getting getting a lot of hype. He seemed like a regular prospect in the system ranked around #10 or so. It just shows that it is tough to predict which prospects will play great at the NHL level.

Much credit has to be given to Hagelin as he is running with this opportunity. Also, much credit has to be given to Torts and this organization for giving Hagelin the time to develop and then brought into the NHL onto a great team with lots of great players surrounding him. This is the perfect way to develop a prospect.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:10 PM
KPower

Coast to coast and undresses kronwall

Very nice goal

KPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 03:44 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Someone told Richards that he wasn't producing enough.

He responded by posting 17 points in 15 games.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 05:10 AM
Ola

Does Brad Richards need to redeem himself?

I can tell you this -- he would never be able to.

This is the player he is and the player he always has been. The only diffrent from his "best" years is that he has not had sufficient support on the PP this season. And of course that he is on a new team/new city etc which should not be underrated -- but that is certainly not effecting his skating, or ability to stickhandle the puck up ice, or ability to move in the attacking zone etc.

Several of us said that this is exactly what we are going to get this summer and before the last deadline. We said that for a OK price, we are getting a clutch player, who knows Torts, and who is great on the PP. But someone who isn't a elite skater nor even remotely have the ability to controll the game like the elite centers. We also said that for 6m he is a great signing, for 8m+ there is every ingridience in place for a new Drury/Redden disaster. Many looked at his stats, read articles and posted links, and argued otherwise. But this is the player Richards always was for Tampa and for Dallas. And I like him. Its not his fault that Gabby can't figure out the PP and work of BR like Riberio did in Dallas, or that we don't have a RH shot on the PPpoint next to him that can bomb away of his passes.

Brad Richards had 40 points on the power play for Dallas in 10'.

Brad Richards is on pace to get 20 points on the power play for us this season.

With the same rate, he would have 15 pts more after 73 games here in NY, making him a PPG player.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote