HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

What's the general consensus for Gaborik?

Old
03-13-2012, 10:17 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
What's the general consensus for Gaborik?

Marian Gaborik signed with the New York Rangers on July 1st 2009 after he tested the waters of free agency. He played 8 seasons with the Wild and has now become the go-to-guy for the Rangers.

The question is, as fans of the Wild, what is your view on Gaborik now? Hate him? Love him? Miss him?

I'd like to know since I'm going to be writing an article soon on Gabby and I'd like to hear some opinions from the fans of the team that drafted and developed him.

Thanks for the time,

Kershaw.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:19 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Miss him. Easily the most exciting player ever on the Wild...even when the team sucked he provided a few "oooooo!" moments every game.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:23 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

vCash: 500
Picture's worth a thousand words:

But I can give you the thousand words if you want. (Hint: most of them are "******-bag.")

llamapalooza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Chrisd

Gaborik

Gaborik is solid...elite speed....great wrister....

Yet his PPG totals in his career both with Minny and the Rangers have never been elite....

He can go missing for stretches at a time...

he's a fun player to watch but lacks a little substance.

Chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:27 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Loved him as he was the most talent we've had. He was the only game breaker in Wild history. But Riser burnt the bridge. That said, I didn't miss the annual groin injury. It was a relief (that first year after he left) not to wonder when it was coming whether it be October, November, or December. However, I'd almost take one guy with a groin injury over 10-12 guys with concussions and every other injury in the freaking book right now.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:27 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

missing? nah, you just have to look in the training room. he's sitting on the table with a drink in his hand and a bag of ice on his groin.

Old
03-13-2012, 10:28 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 1527
I don't hold any resentment towards the guy. As a matter of fact, I still have his poster on my wall.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Avder
Is only game.

I resent him immensely. The guy was loved here. He was a force of nature. I still get chills remembering some of the stuff he pulled off in the '03 playoffs. But his agent made him all about the money, and his actions when he held out and then turned down an enormous offer from us to play elsewhere showed his true side.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:32 PM
SeeKpzl8

Hate him now, liked him a lot when he played for us. Even though he was out with injuries all the time (earned the nickname glass groin), he was super exciting to watch when he was healthy. I was at the game vs. the rangers where he scored 5 goals and I was planning on saving the ticket for the rest of my life, but once he left I threw the ticket in the garbage...

SeeKpzl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:33 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
I resent him immensely. The guy was loved here. He was a force of nature. I still get chills remembering some of the stuff he pulled off in the '03 playoffs. But his agent made him all about the money, and his actions when he held out and then turned down an enormous offer from us to play elsewhere showed his true side.

Old
03-13-2012, 10:36 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
But to be fair, Riser didn't help matters. He burned some bridges....even banned one of his buddies (or agents) from the arena for a brief time. And considering where this team was (as in talent and future prospects), I could see how he may have wanted to look elsewhere. He didn't have much help here for quite a while, and Riser was spinning wheels and drafting like crap.

Old
03-13-2012, 10:38 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
If you're going to say it didn't have anything to do with the money––and I'd be inclined to agree with you––then refusing to sign here seems like an even bigger spit in the face to the organization and the fans who desperately wanted him to re-sign.

And then to go and sign with New York of all places... I'm surprised he doesn't get the Chuck Knoblauch treatment.

There's a reason he gets booed every time he touches the puck.

llamapalooza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
But to be fair, Riser didn't help matters. He burned some bridges....even banned one of his buddies (or agents) from the arena for a brief time. And considering where this team was (as in talent and future prospects), I could see how he may have wanted to look elsewhere. He didn't have much help here for quite a while, and Riser was spinning wheels and drafting like crap.
Thats fair point I suppose.

Another thing I would like to bring up is the neverending case of glass groin he had while here. It was almost as if he was using it as an excuse to do as little as possible while here in an effort to kill time until he became a UFA. He didn't seem like he cared enough to push himself to come back faster. Just seemed content to wait until he was pain free or something.

Old
03-13-2012, 10:50 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Thats fair point I suppose.

Another thing I would like to bring up is the neverending case of glass groin he had while here. It was almost as if he was using it as an excuse to do as little as possible while here in an effort to kill time until he became a UFA. He didn't seem like he cared enough to push himself to come back faster. Just seemed content to wait until he was pain free or something.
Funny though...Gabby waited too long, and the team suffered. Koivu rushes himself only to create re-injury, and again the team suffers.

Damn players!

Old
03-13-2012, 10:58 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Funny though...Gabby waited too long, and the team suffered. Koivu rushes himself only to create re-injury, and again the team suffers.

Damn players!
Well theres doing too much, and doing not enough, and then theres the grey area where youre doing just enough and neither one of them could find that....and Gabby did not seem interested in even looking for it.

Old
03-13-2012, 11:45 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Love'em, tremendous player, and a game breaker unlike any other player we've had.

I blame Risebrough 100% for his being gone. I think any star player in the same situation seeing the black hole that this franchise was becoming under DR's leadership would have skipped town as well.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:45 PM
Northland Wild Man
Run The Goalie!

I don't really hate him I guess, but his agent is another story. Agents like Ron Salcer are what's wrong with professional sports today. I'll never forget that the Wild offered him 10 years at 80 million and it wasn't enough.

He is probably the best player to put on a Wild sweater. When he was on his game it was a lot of fun to watch. He sure had his health issues in his last years here though, and I'll always have the feeling he is one step away from a long term injury. I always figured he'd be a star with some other team, that's how it goes in Minnesota.

Northland Wild Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:47 PM
TacitEndorsement

Meh. The man wanted to win. Ehrhoff leaves Vancouver for the money and he's condemned. Gaborik leaves the Wild to win and he's condemned.

TacitEndorsement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:50 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
If you're going to say it didn't have anything to do with the money––and I'd be inclined to agree with you––then refusing to sign here seems like an even bigger spit in the face to the organization and the fans who desperately wanted him to re-sign.

And then to go and sign with New York of all places... I'm surprised he doesn't get the Chuck Knoblauch treatment.

There's a reason he gets booed every time he touches the puck.
Fletcher didn't even offer him a contract. that is a fact. whatever else anyone wants to add is speculation "he wasn't going to sign here anyway." etc. Obviously his relationship with the old regime wasn't going to help his attitude toward the team regardless of who was at the top, but he actually took a paycut to play in NY if you factor in the 33% (I think) difference in cost of living.

Old
03-13-2012, 11:59 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Love'em, tremendous player, and a game breaker unlike any other player we've had.

I blame Risebrough 100% for his being gone. I think any star player in the same situation seeing the black hole that this franchise was becoming under DR's leadership would have skipped town as well.
Yeah I can't really blame Gabby for wanting to leave after how badly things were managed other than the fact he seemed to think he was bigger than this town.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:10 AM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Man do I miss him. I remember going to games and just about everytime he started to pick up steam the entire arena would rise to their feet waiting to see what he would do. It was such an awesome feeling when he would accelerate down the wing. I have never even thought about doing that since the day he left. No member of the Wild currently are even half as exciting and as skilled as Gaborik was. GOD why Gaborik! Why did you have to leave us?!!

This sucks.

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:18 AM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 212
I miss the guy. He's exactly what this team needs right now(besides a top d-man). Gabby was a threat to score at any time. The part that sucks the most is that we got nothing for him.

elnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:16 AM
Wild48
Our Savior

The wild haven't had, nor do they have in the org. A player of his talent... That being said I remember being frustrated with his d... I can't stand floaters... It's the same reason I turned on havlat quickly. I miss him though... He was an amazing player to watch

Wild48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 04:06 AM
SphinX
Bryzniiestiime!

Best player to play for this franchise by far..

Mixed feelings in my guts about him..

Miss him, Love Him, Hate him all together..

Still have a feeling that his career ends here..

(And he still cals this home)

SphinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 07:38 AM
Dudicles

Aside from maybe the holdout during his first contract negotiations with the Wild (in which, IIRC, he fired his agent and then signed a deal days afterward), Gaborik really has done nothing to garner any of the dislike many Minnesota fans dump on him.

He obviously didn't want to continue playing for the Wild while Risebrough was the GM (and I don't blame him, as I personally wouldn't have wanted to either), and as such did not sign a new contract with them.

Also, his groin problems were eliminated once he had the hip surgery. It's not Gabby's fault he didn't have his injury problems dealt with properly from the start.

When Gaborik was healthy, he was able to score at a good pace in the most defensive laden system in the NHL. Not only that, eventually Jacques Lemaire actually got him to play both ends of the ice, despite his natural tendency to want to float at the blue line.

IMO, any Wild fan who doesn't miss him is just trying to justify the fact that our imibicilic previous GM let him go for nothing.

Dudicles is offline   Reply With Quote