HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #70: at Minnesota, 3/13 (7:00 PM, Fox Sports Southwest Plus, 1310 AM, 104.1 FM)

Old
03-13-2012, 11:18 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Unbeaten in regulation is the important part after the lockout imo, especially with ROW.
This.

Because they used to have ties, I would consider a point streak an unbeaten streak.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:20 PM
roon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Why? They tried to hand the game to the Wild on a silver platter with so many crap calls
What?! Oh come on. Benn held Setoguchi to start the rush on which he scored. Then Ott tried to take Kampfers head off with a high stick.

roon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:21 PM
CorwiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
This.

Because they used to have ties, I would consider a point streak an unbeaten streak.
I don't really consider losing in OT to be unbeaten. Losing in the shootout, yeah, still unbeaten. OT? No way.

CorwiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:25 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorwiN View Post
I don't really consider losing in OT to be unbeaten. Losing in the shootout, yeah, still unbeaten. OT? No way.
Yea, this is what I meant. Just didn't say it right.

It still applies for us anyways.

Old
03-13-2012, 11:26 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by roon View Post
What?! Oh come on. Benn held Setoguchi to start the rush on which he scored. Then Ott tried to take Kampfers head off with a high stick.
Your own player tipped the pass to Benn, so thanks for that.

You had 4 powerplays to score and barely even mounted an attempt outside of the first PP.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:28 PM
roon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Your own player tipped the pass to Benn, so thanks for that.

You had 4 powerplays to score and barely even mounted an attempt outside of the first PP.
So you don't deny the hold or the high stick.

Thanks for making my point for me.

roon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:32 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Every single team has missed calls in a game. Minnesota had two or three that I can remember, just as Dallas did.

Old
03-13-2012, 11:52 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Quote:
The hold was very minor given everything they did not call in this game. That's not a miss in my book, just the way the game was called all the way around.

The high stick was a miss, as was the pair of Wild tackling Garbutt soon after that. The second call on Fiddler was eh. The call on Morrow should have been matched by a holding the stick on Gilbert.

It was not great officiating tonight, but it helped/hurt both teams pretty evenly.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:52 PM
StarsCaptainOU

Quote:
Lehtonen played really well, but you should be thanking the officials just as much as your goaltender. .
Are you talking about when Fiddler got facewashed repeatedly and then was given a matching minor when it should have been a Dallas pp? Or were you talking about when Morrow was practically wearing Gilbert on his back because Gilbert was holding on so bad and while trying to battle away he knocks Gilbert down and receives the only penalty? I also loved when Garbutt was practically tackled while flying through the Minnesota defense.

Please take your garbage somewhere else.

StarsCaptainOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:32 AM
Brand New Stars

Tis funny when a fan of a terrible team trash talks.

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:34 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Russo is getting in on the complaining as well.

Quote:
There were also missed calls. The Wild felt Morrow deserved a five-minute major for kneeing Matt Cullen, not a two-minute minor for tripping. Looked blatant and intentional and Cullen looked seriously injured. He did play in the third period and seemed to be skating fine, but he was unavailable for comment after the game because he was on the trainer’s table. We’ll see if he’s OK Thursday (the Wild off Wednesday because it doesn’t play next until 1 p.m. Saturday vs. Carolina).

Also, before the Benn goal, the 3-on-2 only happens because Setoguchi was held by Benn after an offensive-zone faceoff win. No call. Then on the shift after the goal, Steve Kampfer was blatantly high-sticked by Steve Ott and began leaking from the mouth. The two refs and two linesmen (who can bring it to the ref’s attention) missed it.

But the way the power play was going, who knows if it would have mattered. It was 0 for 4.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/142581295.html

Old
03-14-2012, 12:38 AM
Ambassador Of Fun

As stated earlier, I thought that was a 5 and a game for Morrow, but the officiating was meh both ways. Fiddler getting evened up was BS as was the 2nd Morrow penalty as was the missed call on Ott highsticking.

Ambassador Of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:46 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador Of Fun View Post
As stated earlier, I thought that was a 5 and a game for Morrow, but the officiating was meh both ways. Fiddler getting evened up was BS as was the 2nd Morrow penalty as was the missed call on Ott highsticking.
Is it bad that I wish he got suspended for that?

Old
03-14-2012, 01:22 AM
Kritter471

I didn't think it was 5 and a game, mostly because I thought Cullen created the knee-on-knee by trying to jump out of the way of a hit. Morrow was setting himself to drop a shoulder into Cullen and Cullen tried to side step him, and they caught knees. It sucks and its definitely tripping or a minor for kneeing since Morrow is responsible for leaving his leg out there, but it wasn't a Marchment style sweep the leg.

I hope Cullen isn't seriously injured. The fact that he came back to play at all was good.

Old
03-14-2012, 01:27 AM
Ambassador Of Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
I didn't think it was 5 and a game, mostly because I thought Cullen created the knee-on-knee by trying to jump out of the way of a hit. Morrow was setting himself to drop a shoulder into Cullen and Cullen tried to side step him, and they caught knees. It sucks and its definitely tripping or a minor for kneeing since Morrow is responsible for leaving his leg out there, but it wasn't a Marchment style sweep the leg.

I hope Cullen isn't seriously injured. The fact that he came back to play at all was good.
Nothing in the rule book states intent in kneeing. It says "leads with the knee" and for the major it says about the severity. I thought the knee was the first contact and that Cullen was hurt. If you admit it might be a minor for kneeing than it just as easily should have been a major for kneeing. And the major automatically gets the game misconduct.

Edit: the play you are describing is a Match penalty.

Last edited by Ambassador Of Fun: 03-14-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old
03-14-2012, 02:17 AM
Kritter471

No, the way the kneeing rule is written, the difference in major and minor is the "severity of infraction," or how egregiously a player stuck his knee out there, not how badly the player on the other end is hurt (though that certainly plays a subconscious role).

If the referee thinks the leg is out there as the guilty player is trying to make a legal hockey play that went awry (like in this case, Morrow's attempt to throw a bodycheck), then it's a trip or a kneeing minor. If he thinks the knee is out there cause the guy know he's going to get beat and does something illegal at the last minute to keep the guy from getting by him in a stupid, but not premeditated, reaction, it's a major plus a game misconduct. If it's a premeditated or really blatant attempt to injure, it's a match.

Morrow was attempting to make a hockey play and left his knee out in a dangerous location. Cullen saw him coming and tried to dance him (between him and Daley, IIRC), catching his leg on Morrow's knee on the way by rather than Morrow having the knee lined up on him all the way in. That's a classic kneeing or tripping minor.

Old
03-14-2012, 02:50 AM
Ambassador Of Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
No, the way the kneeing rule is written, the difference in major and minor is the "severity of infraction," or how egregiously a player stuck his knee out there, not how badly the player on the other end is hurt (though that certainly plays a subconscious role).

If the referee thinks the leg is out there as the guilty player is trying to make a legal hockey play that went awry (like in this case, Morrow's attempt to throw a bodycheck), then it's a trip or a kneeing minor. If he thinks the knee is out there cause the guy know he's going to get beat and does something illegal at the last minute to keep the guy from getting by him in a stupid, but not premeditated, reaction, it's a major plus a game misconduct. If it's a premeditated or really blatant attempt to injure, it's a match.

Morrow was attempting to make a hockey play and left his knee out in a dangerous location. Cullen saw him coming and tried to dance him (between him and Daley, IIRC), catching his leg on Morrow's knee on the way by rather than Morrow having the knee lined up on him all the way in. That's a classic kneeing or tripping minor.
"Severity of the infraction" doesn't necessarily mean severity that the offending player stuck out their knee. Since the Match penalty clarifies the intent part of the kneeing rule, I believe the Major/Minor clarification is discussing injury and not how much of an intent there was.

Last edited by Ambassador Of Fun: 03-14-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Old
03-14-2012, 05:03 AM
glovesave_35
Name

If there's one thing I've learned here it's that tangling with Kritter over letter of the law is a losing proposition.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote