HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Official Penguins Prospect Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-12-2012, 05:03 PM
  #76
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Yeah, sina has pretty much blown up any talent analysis credibility he has had.
Strait's an NHL player. Is he going to be a top 4 NHL player? Probably not but it's not out of the question. He will be in the NHL next season if not for the Pens then with some other team. I think he will have a long NHL career because of the way he plays. He will never be expected to add any offense to a team. He's a defensive defensmen and that is what will be expected of him. If he can play mistake free defense like he did the last three games he won't have any problems finding an NHL team to take him.

bigd is offline  
Old
03-12-2012, 06:35 PM
  #77
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,150
vCash: 500
Whatever anyone thinks about Strait's ability, his size simply isn't an issue. There are a ton of NHL blueliners who are 6'-6'1" and do very well in a defensive role.

The Bouillon comparisons are straight-up ridiculous. Strait is nearly half a foot taller than the guy.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now  
Old
03-12-2012, 06:40 PM
  #78
eXile59
Shirts on.
 
eXile59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 16,194
vCash: 500
Strait's physical, block's shots, & I've been surprised by his skating. Not the speed of it but his he has good edge work that allows him to constantly stay in position. I would be disappointed to lose him but at the same time the guy deserves to play.

eXile59 is offline  
Old
03-12-2012, 07:33 PM
  #79
sina220*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
Sure bigger is better. I just dont follow his reasoning.
Hes too short to be a shot blocking type of Dman but he can be Bouillion if he gets way nastier??
So if he was bigger he could block shots, but since hes not he should try and hit people more?

Sina you make it sound like all NHL dmen have to fall into 3 very specific categories.
I never said he's too short to be a shot blocker. I dont even know where you got that from. I just said he looks little against NHL guys and I don't know if he's going to be a regular nhler. I certainly aint buying hes 6ft 1, 200. And if he wants to be an NHL regular he's going to have to bring more than just skating and positioning, he's going to need to add a more physical element or something, ala boullion. That was my point, small guys need to bring more, not that he should specifically try and be exactly like boullion.

I do love how im the one who's trying to be lampooned here when im basically saying what everyone else did at one point, hell be a bottom pair defender at best and maybe not a regular.
Many of you are acting like strait is some fantastic player and he simply isn't. He's a bottom pair defensive specialist who skates good. He doesn't bring anything our dmen already signed next year don't have, and he's going to need to perform better than both bortuzzo and despres to have a chance at number 7 next year which I doubt he does on both accounts. Hes certainly not going to replace engo or Lovejoy in the top 6 if our d remains the same next year. And if martin or Michalek are shipped it'll probably be despres or a re-signed niskanen in that spot, it
won't be handed to strait.

And that goes for any team if he leaves, he's going to have to prove his value and it could be tough.

sina220* is offline  
Old
03-12-2012, 07:50 PM
  #80
sina220*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Strait's an NHL player. Is he going to be a top 4 NHL player? Probably not but it's not out of the question. He will be in the NHL next season if not for the Pens then with some other team. I think he will have a long NHL career because of the way he plays. He will never be expected to add any offense to a team. He's a defensive defensmen and that is what will be expected of him. If he can play mistake free defense like he did the last three games he won't have any problems finding an NHL team to take him.
Hes going to struggle to make himself more valuable than all but the suckiest teams bottom pair defenders. Chances are he's not even beating out
Staos, Reese, or jurcina for the isles bottom pair right now. His best chance is probably Minnesota in the offseason.

sina220* is offline  
Old
03-12-2012, 07:55 PM
  #81
sina220*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Yeah, sina has pretty much blown up any talent analysis credibility he has had.
Considering I agree with and have the same analysis of his talent as just about everyone else i find this comment odd. I didnt question his talent i questioned his size and his ability to find a niche a permanent nhler. Hes mostly a dime-a-dozen defender.

sina220* is offline  
Old
03-12-2012, 08:01 PM
  #82
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sina220 View Post
I never said he's too short to be a shot blocker. I dont even know where you got that from. I just said he looks little against NHL guys and I don't know if he's going to be a regular nhler. I certainly aint buying hes 6ft 1, 200. And if he wants to be an NHL regular he's going to have to bring more than just skating and positioning, he's going to need to add a more physical element or something, ala boullion. That was my point, small guys need to bring more, not that he should specifically try and be exactly like boullion.

I do love how im the one who's trying to be lampooned here when im basically saying what everyone else did at one point
, hell be a bottom pair defender at best and maybe not a regular.
Many of you are acting like strait is some fantastic player and he simply isn't. He's a bottom pair defensive specialist who skates good. He doesn't bring anything our dmen already signed next year don't have, and he's going to need to perform better than both bortuzzo and despres to have a chance at number 7 next year which I doubt he does on both accounts. Hes certainly not going to replace engo or Lovejoy in the top 6 if our d remains the same next year. And if martin or Michalek are shipped it'll probably be despres or a re-signed niskanen in that spot, it
won't be handed to strait.

And that goes for any team if he leaves, he's going to have to prove his value and it could be tough.
That's not the part that most people are taking issue with. It's your idea that Strait is too small to play a defense-oriented game in the NHL, when it's abundantly clear that tons of ~6' players have had no problem doing just that.

And the notion that Strait is significantly smaller than his listed height doesn't seem terribly legitimate either. He's looked a helluva lot more like a 6 foot defenseman than he has a midget like Bouillon.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now  
Old
03-12-2012, 08:01 PM
  #83
Karnage420
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 787
vCash: 500
the best thing that can be said for strait is that he is NHL ready.
he is probably a 5-6 talent for the rest of his career.

the only thing that can be said for samuelsson is that he probably turned pro too early, probably isnt even AHL ready and will probably be a career 5-6 NHLer in about 2 years.

i thought we all agreed on all of the above?

Karnage420 is offline  
Old
03-12-2012, 08:11 PM
  #84
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sina220 View Post
Considering I agree with and have the same analysis of his talent as just about everyone else i find this comment odd. I didnt question his talent i questioned his size and his ability to find a niche a permanent nhler. Hes mostly a dime-a-dozen defender.
You questioned his size and strength, both of which are completely unfounded. And he's probably a little more than a dime-a-dozen defender. Dime-a-dozen is Ben Lovejoy. Strait has potential to be a middle pairing guy, but is more than likely going to be a really good #5. He's an NHL defenseman who brings a pretty well rounded defensive skillset.

JTG is offline  
Old
03-12-2012, 09:18 PM
  #85
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sina220 View Post
I never said he's too short to be a shot blocker. I dont even know where you got that from. I just said he looks little against NHL guys and I don't know if he's going to be a regular nhler. I certainly aint buying hes 6ft 1, 200. And if he wants to be an NHL regular he's going to have to bring more than just skating and positioning, he's going to need to add a more physical element or something, ala boullion. That was my point, small guys need to bring more, not that he should specifically try and be exactly like boullion.

I do love how im the one who's trying to be lampooned here when im basically saying what everyone else did at one point, hell be a bottom pair defender at best and maybe not a regular.
Many of you are acting like strait is some fantastic player and he simply isn't. He's a bottom pair defensive specialist who skates good. He doesn't bring anything our dmen already signed next year don't have, and he's going to need to perform better than both bortuzzo and despres to have a chance at number 7 next year which I doubt he does on both accounts. Hes certainly not going to replace engo or Lovejoy in the top 6 if our d remains the same next year. And if martin or Michalek are shipped it'll probably be despres or a re-signed niskanen in that spot, it
won't be handed to strait.

And that goes for any team if he leaves, he's going to have to prove his value and it could be tough.
He's already ahead of Bortuzzo on the dept chart and from what i've seen of Lovejoy, I don't think he will still be here next season. Strait would be a much better #7 d-man than Lovejoy next season. Despres has a good shot of making the team also, esp if there are two spots open. If Strait is still with the team next training camp I would be shocked if he was sent down. He won't make it through waivers. They will lose him for nothing and he will be playing in the NHL for some other team and probably not a #7. I guess we all agree to disagree with you.

bigd is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 12:50 AM
  #86
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,221
vCash: 80
Strait looks around the same height as Paul Martin, but looks thicker/stockier than Martin. Most sites list Martin in the 6'0 - 6'1 range, and anywhere between 190 lbs. - 200 lbs. So I really don't understand where sina's getting this idea that Strait's some kind of Francis Boullion clone.

Sidney the Kidney is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 11:43 AM
  #87
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce
 
Tasty Biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,257
vCash: 500
Samuelsson sent down to the Wheel.

Tasty Biscuits is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 12:00 PM
  #88
Dovahkiin
Geno! Geno! Geno!
 
Dovahkiin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bethel Park,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Whatever anyone thinks about Strait's ability, his size simply isn't an issue. There are a ton of NHL blueliners who are 6'-6'1" and do very well in a defensive role.

The Bouillon comparisons are straight-up ridiculous. Strait is nearly half a foot taller than the guy.
I see what you did there

Dovahkiin is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 12:02 PM
  #89
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Samuelsson sent down to the Wheel.
Looks like he's not as good as some people around here claim him to be.

MrBurgundy* is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 12:20 PM
  #90
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Looks like he's not as good as some people around here claim him to be.
With Strait and Despres back in WBS he's not going to see any ice time. Better to have him playing than sitting in the stands every game. He's got a lot of work to do.

bigd is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 12:21 PM
  #91
eXile59
Shirts on.
 
eXile59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 16,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Samuelsson sent down to the Wheel.
This is my surprised face.

eXile59 is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 12:45 PM
  #92
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
With Strait and Despres back in WBS he's not going to see any ice time. Better to have him playing than sitting in the stands every game. He's got a lot of work to do.
Oh definitely. There are some people that think he's pretty awesome though.

MrBurgundy* is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 01:04 PM
  #93
regard
Registered User
 
regard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Staal Debates
Country: United States
Posts: 3,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sina220 View Post
I never said he's too short to be a shot blocker. I dont even know where you got that from. I just said he looks little against NHL guys and I don't know if he's going to be a regular nhler. I certainly aint buying hes 6ft 1, 200. And if he wants to be an NHL regular he's going to have to bring more than just skating and positioning, he's going to need to add a more physical element or something, ala boullion. That was my point, small guys need to bring more, not that he should specifically try and be exactly like boullion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sina220
Hes listed near the same as them but there's no way he's actually 6'1". Hes dwarfed by neal and 6'1" would mean hes only an inch shorter? Nuh uh. He is similar to martin in body type and strength, but Letang is much thicker and stronger. Straits probably about 185-190, just like martin.

Which like I said, is fine if he was a puckmover. But I don't think his shot blocking shutdown ways are suited for his body in the NHL. If he had more skill and nasty he could maybe carve out a Francis boullion career, but boullion was clearly the exception, not the rule. And even then, he was rarely healthy.
I just dont think size defines what a defensemans role should be as much as you. You said you think his size will hold him back from being a shot blocking type of shut down dman. I dont see that. A shot blocker might be more of a passive defensemen anyway. Not that I noticed him shying away from contact or fairing all that poorly in it. Especially considering how little time hes had in the NHL so far.

I dont get why smaller defensemen have to be either puck movers or guys who work even harder to be physical. Do larger defensemen then get a pass if thier soft? So long as hes not less than 5'-10"-ish I think skill, positioning, strength, mentallity, work ethic, etc. will define a players role. Under that sure most players need to be extra special at something to truly make it, sure. But thats not the case here.

I havent even seen Strait all that much, I'm not even trying to debate how good he'll be. I just think you put too much stock into a players size defining thier role.

regard is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 01:12 PM
  #94
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Oh definitely. There are some people that think he's pretty awesome though.
My biggest issue is him leaving BC after only two seasons. I'm sure that wasn't the Pens doing. They don't like to rush their prospects, esp their D-men. He just probably wanted to leave school and the Pens had no choice but to offer him a contract or he would have gone back to Sweden to play for his father. I still say he would have been much better served going back to BC for 1 more year and being a leader on a very good college team. I don't want to rag on the kid. I think he has potential to be an NHL D-man but he just has a lot of work to do. JMO

bigd is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 01:16 PM
  #95
Seabass
Onward and Upward
 
Seabass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 2,932
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seabass
Strait's a thick body. Comparing his frame to Martin's is off-base.

Seabass is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 04:53 PM
  #96
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,608
vCash: 500
Strait is a very thick body. He's comfortably over 200 lbs

10 of it being beard.

JTG is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 06:48 AM
  #97
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sina220 View Post
No, it was on here. Last time I checked samuelsson spent 1 game in the echl to get a game in when wbs had a long break and then was returned. Thats not the relegation to the echl you were all but guarenteeing. Or when you tried continuously to rip his hockey sense when there are direct quotes from our assistant gm and then director of player development stating that was one of his best assets. You tried extrapolating a few bad games from a rookie 20year old as him never having hockey sense and never being able to find it.

And I don't care what you think you know about the pens org or what posters think your a wbs expert. I know you were willing to almost 100% conclusively write off a 20 year old 2nd round pick whose done nothing but project up after 25 pro games. That tells me all I need to know about what you THINK you know.
In case you didn't get the memo. Samuellson has been sent to Wheeling.

bigd is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 07:06 AM
  #98
TheEdge27
Registered User
 
TheEdge27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 531
vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
In case you didn't get the memo. Samuellson has been sent to Wheeling.
The wheeling beat writer had some less than kind words about him last night on twitter during the Nailer game.

TheEdge27 is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 07:47 AM
  #99
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge27 View Post
The wheeling beat writer had some less than kind words about him last night on twitter during the Nailer game.
I'm sure he's not happy about being sent down. He was probably on the phone to Daddy asking to come home as soon as he got the word. I'm glad the Pens aren't treating him any differantly because of his name. This is a maturing process.

bigd is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 08:16 AM
  #100
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,300
vCash: 500
Dominik Uher picked up a goal and an assist in Spokane's 6-4 win over Kamloops.

wej20 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.