HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

We could be cup contenders next year

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-14-2012, 10:18 AM
  #26
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Yup. At 20 years old he has already reached his potential with no room to grow
He hasn't... hence why I added Leblanc to the list of players to develop up to standards.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:22 AM
  #27
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,540
vCash: 500
We'll have a better team next year. That's what counts. The playoffs are a crapshot to the Stanley Cup for all the 16 teams that participate anyway !

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:26 AM
  #28
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
We'll have a better team next year. That's what counts. The playoffs are a crapshot to the Stanley Cup for all the 16 teams that participate anyway !
Not sure we will have that much of a better team. Parise and Suter are the only 2 big names on the FA market and to be honest I don't see either signing with Montreal. Trades well depends who the next GM is and how creative he can be. We will have pretty much the same hockey team next year, hopefully a healthy Markov but more or less the same guys unless a huge trade in the off season which I wouldn't bet on

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:30 AM
  #29
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
We'll have a better team next year. That's what counts. The playoffs are a crapshot to the Stanley Cup for all the 16 teams that participate anyway !
This keeps getting repeated but it has never been true. History says only top teams (and top offensive teams btw) have a chance to win a Cup. The "in and anything can happen" thinking is wrong. It just doesn't happen.

Montreal needs to get much better at a number of positions, it has virtually no chance at a cup next year.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:55 AM
  #30
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
You know ... all the fuss around the experience on the Dline.
What does Grigorenko brings? 30 points ? Where is he playing ? 4th line center?
We have Eller, Plekanec and Desharnais before him.
Parise ? #LOLWHUT
#LOLWHUT??? really? seriously?. wow

who pissed in your cereal this morning? The guys just showing optimism which is something you don't have any of. Rarely we see anything positive on here these days and yet when someone does something positive on here people get all no it all like and shoot down peoples legit opinions.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:06 AM
  #31
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
#1. The way we're playing now and the teams around us. We're gonna draft out of the top-5 and likely pick nothing of supreme consequence. Meaning no blue-chip prospect and maybe a nice player down the line.
#2. The state of our management, media, fanbase, the current transactions, the coaching debacle this season, Gauthier as head GM, and our position in the standings are all indicators that we are not an attractive nor viable option for any big name free agent. I.E., we will not sign anything more than maybe a missing piece, but no superstar and no big name free agent.
#3. Very rare do teams go from the basement to cup contenders over the course of one summer. This team certainly isn't blossoming with tons of young talent that are scraping the surface, what young talent we have has already arrived this season. It's just surrounded by junk.
#4. As it stands right now, Gauthier will be our GM. Meaning mindless moves. Undervalue trades. Panic moves that are needed to save his job. Plus patchwork trades to fill holes everybody and their dog knows need to be addressed before the season begins.
#5. The injury bug. We've had it for the last few seasons. Look for it to strike again.
wow whats fridays winning lottery numbers? You know everything!

wow dude your so dramatic. Take a step back and look at the big picture. We have more young talent than most teams in the league. We have a top 5 goalie in the league with a damn good back up. The only way we can go from here is up and I am a firm believer that we will be contenders next yr IF we get a veteran or 2 on D fire PG make RC an assistant coach hopefully and hire a coach that will light a fire under players like Pleks Bourque Weber ect ect or even trade them. We need some fairly big changes but they are changes that can quite easily be done.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:23 AM
  #32
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,171
vCash: 500
Nevermind being contenders, what worries the **** out of me, is if we suck again next year, its certainly possible and more likely than being actual contenders.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:25 AM
  #33
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Nevermind being contenders, what worries the **** out of me, is if we suck again next year, its certainly possible and more likely than being actual contenders.
The draft is even deeper and we do have 3 2nd rounders

In all seriousness I want the Habs to become contenders and we have a good core in place but are still missing a few pieces to be contenders. It's going to take a lot of work this off season and it better start with a new management team in place

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:26 AM
  #34
SB164
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,293
vCash: 500
Here's the thing about most teams that have won Stanley Cups in the past: not only do they usually have at least one superstar, but that superstar is potentially a future Hall of Famer.

Let's look at some post-lockout era Stanley Cup winning teams:

06 - Carolina: Rod Brind'Amour is a potential Hall of Famer, and Mark Recchi is a likely one.

07 - Anaheim: Scott Neidermayer, Chris Pronger and Teemu Selanee are surefire future Hall of Famers.

08 - Detroit: Nicklas Lidstrom and Dominik Hasek are the obvious choices, but Chris Chelios and Pavel Datsyuk might be there one day as well.

09 - Pittsburgh - Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin seem well on their way to becoming future Hall of Famers.

10 - Chicago - This is a rather tricky one. They're superstars were so very young during their Stanley Cup win (Toews & Kane) that it would be unfair to call them future HOFers at the moment. But if Marian Hossa keeps playing at his pace for the next few years, he might be enshrined in the HOF one day.

11 - Boston - I believe Zdeno Chara will be in the HOF one day, and Tim Thomas will definitely make a claim to be in as well.

Do the Habs have anyone at this moment that you can call a future Hall of Famer?

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:28 AM
  #35
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Here's the thing about most teams that have won Stanley Cups in the past: not only do they usually have at least one superstar, but that superstar is potentially a future Hall of Famer.

Let's look at some post-lockout era Stanley Cup winning teams:

06 - Carolina: Rod Brind'Amour is a potential Hall of Famer, and Mark Recchi is a likely one.

07 - Anaheim: Scott Neidermayer, Chris Pronger and Teemu Selanee are surefire future Hall of Famers.

08 - Detroit: Nicklas Lidstrom and Dominik Hasek are the obvious choices, but Chris Chelios and Pavel Datsyuk might be there one day as well.

09 - Pittsburgh - Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin seem well on their way to becoming future Hall of Famers.

10 - Chicago - This is a rather tricky one. They're superstars were so very young during their Stanley Cup win (Toews & Kane) that it would be unfair to call them future HOFers at the moment. But if Marian Hossa keeps playing at his pace for the next few years, he might be enshrined in the HOF one day.

11 - Boston - I believe Zdeno Chara will be in the HOF one day, and Tim Thomas will definitely make a claim to be in as well.

Do the Habs have anyone at this moment that you can call a future Hall of Famer?



Price and Subban have the potential to be but its too early to tell.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:28 AM
  #36
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Here's the thing about most teams that have won Stanley Cups in the past: not only do they usually have at least one superstar, but that superstar is potentially a future Hall of Famer.

Let's look at some post-lockout era Stanley Cup winning teams:

06 - Carolina: Rod Brind'Amour is a potential Hall of Famer, and Mark Recchi is a likely one.

07 - Anaheim: Scott Neidermayer, Chris Pronger and Teemu Selanee are surefire future Hall of Famers.

08 - Detroit: Nicklas Lidstrom and Dominik Hasek are the obvious choices, but Chris Chelios and Pavel Datsyuk might be there one day as well.

09 - Pittsburgh - Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin seem well on their way to becoming future Hall of Famers.

10 - Chicago - This is a rather tricky one. They're superstars were so very young during their Stanley Cup win (Toews & Kane) that it would be unfair to call them future HOFers at the moment. But if Marian Hossa keeps playing at his pace for the next few years, he might be enshrined in the HOF one day.

11 - Boston - I believe Zdeno Chara will be in the HOF one day, and Tim Thomas will definitely make a claim to be in as well.

Do the Habs have anyone at this moment that you can call a future Hall of Famer?
2012 1st round pick

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:35 AM
  #37
SB164
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
Price and Subban have the potential to be but its too early to tell.
Right, not unlike Toews and Kane. Problem is, in addition to young, talented players, we don't have an elite veteran such as Marian Hossa (Markov's standing can be re-evaluated next season, to see whether or not he has regained his elite form).

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:38 AM
  #38
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Not sure we will have that much of a better team. Parise and Suter are the only 2 big names on the FA market and to be honest I don't see either signing with Montreal. Trades well depends who the next GM is and how creative he can be. We will have pretty much the same hockey team next year, hopefully a healthy Markov but more or less the same guys unless a huge trade in the off season which I wouldn't bet on
Markov will be back. He's our second best player, behind Price, and has a huge positive impact of the Habs everytime he plays. And he's 10x better than Kaberle. I would bet 10$ that you will see him at the ASG, next feburary.

Then, our young players gained 1 year of development.

Then, we can't be that unlucky two seasons in a row. Don't you remember all the close games we lost ?

Then, we have a slight chance that a guy like Forsberg (or whoever we draft) makes the team and perform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
This keeps getting repeated but it has never been true. History says only top teams (and top offensive teams btw) have a chance to win a Cup. The "in and anything can happen" thinking is wrong. It just doesn't happen.

Montreal needs to get much better at a number of positions, it has virtually no chance at a cup next year.
Saint-Louis just won the championship in the MLB : in August, they were still trailling by 10 points and nobody thought they would even make the playoffs. Green Bay didn't even make it to the superbowl in the NFL after a nearly perfect season. And the Giants who had a crappy season and who were not considered a contender won the Superbowl against the favoured Patriots. Two times in a row as underdogs they stole the Lombardi trophy from N-E, the big bad contender, in the last 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Do the Habs have anyone at this moment that you can call a future Hall of Famer?
Price


Last edited by FF de Mars: 03-14-2012 at 11:47 AM.
FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:54 AM
  #39
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Markov will be back. He's our second best player, behind Price, and has a huge positive impact of the Habs everytime he plays. And he's 10x better than Kaberle. I would bet 10$ that you will see him at the ASG, next feburary.

Then, our young players gained 1 year of development.

Then, we can't be that unlucky two seasons in a row. Don't you remember all the close games we lost ?

Then, we have a slight chance that a guy like Forsberg (or whoever we draft) makes the team and perform.
That's all IF IF IF IF IF

Every team in the league can say things like that as well. Like Columbus lost 15 1 goal games, can they be that unlucky next year as well?????

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:02 PM
  #40
whitespy
Allllriiight
 
whitespy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
Leblanc is already there. 3rd line player with no top6 potential = Leblanc.
Leblanc is not even close to "there". Man, what do people watch? Leblanc is suffering while being up, as Pacioretty did, and he suffers from being in Hamilton cause our GM failed to ice anything remotely competitive down there. Leblanc needs time to develope and must be put in a position to do so -a position to succeed. Same goes for any other prospects we have.

Have we not seen this story enough times with our prospects?


Last edited by whitespy: 03-14-2012 at 12:25 PM.
whitespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:07 PM
  #41
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,681
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
To many if's. In this NHL who knows what could happen but the team is just as likely to get into the playoffs by the skin of their teeth then win the Cup next year. I really hope they win it but it will not be because of signing Parise, I would be very surprised if he came to Montreal.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:07 PM
  #42
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
That's all IF IF IF IF IF

Every team in the league can say things like that as well. Like Columbus lost 15 1 goal games, can they be that unlucky next year as well?????
I see this season as an anomaly. It's my analysis. And I support it with good arguments. And I keep in mind there are 32 teams in the NHL. But we are a cap team, afterall.

Sure, the Gunthers have some good points too. But it doesn't mean the Siegfrids don't have anything to say. Let me tell you that it's about "IF" on both spectrum. And in the end, it's the Valkyries who decide.


Last edited by FF de Mars: 03-14-2012 at 12:19 PM.
FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:36 PM
  #43
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Markov will be back. He's our second best player, behind Price, and has a huge positive impact of the Habs everytime he plays. And he's 10x better than Kaberle. I would bet 10$ that you will see him at the ASG, next feburary.

Then, our young players gained 1 year of development.

Then, we can't be that unlucky two seasons in a row. Don't you remember all the close games we lost ?

Then, we have a slight chance that a guy like Forsberg (or whoever we draft) makes the team and perform.



Saint-Louis just won the championship in the MLB : in August, they were still trailling by 10 points and nobody thought they would even make the playoffs. Green Bay didn't even make it to the superbowl in the NFL after a nearly perfect season. And the Giants who had a crappy season and who were not considered a contender won the Superbowl against the favoured Patriots. Two times in a row as underdogs they stole the Lombardi trophy from N-E, the big bad contender, in the last 5 years.



Price
Those are good examples in their respective sports but give me NHL examples. Those other sports have different playoff dynamics. Doesn't happen in the NHL because the NHL post season is a grueling marathon up to 28 games long. You need depth in the NHL. Montreal doesn't have it and won't for a while.


Last edited by Agnostic: 03-14-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:40 PM
  #44
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Nevermind being contenders, what worries the **** out of me, is if we suck again next year, its certainly possible and more likely than being actual contenders.
Don't worry about it. Embrace it.

I have prepared myself for a long drought, getting new players and watching them grow will be much more fun than an 8th place and out hockey program.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:49 PM
  #45
Nicko999
Registered User
 
Nicko999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,117
vCash: 50
I'm sure we can make the playoffs next year, but we won't be cup contenders until at least 2-3 more years.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:53 PM
  #46
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Those are good examples in their respective sports but give me NHL examples. Those other sports have different playoff dynamics. Doesn't happen in the NHL because the NHL post season is a grueling marathon up to 28 games long. You need depth in the NHL. Montreal doesn't have it and won't for a while.
In baseball too the playoffs are a marathon.

As in the NHL, my example would be Carolina. Hadn't they injuried with a cheap shot Koivu who was on fire, we would have eliminated them... and they were not considered contenders.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:56 PM
  #47
yianik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,403
vCash: 500
Stanley Cup contenders by next year, no. Making the play-offs and being a better team, yes. If Markov is back for the full year and we sign a big, physical, defensively solid D-man, like Grossman, then you have a D thats better offensively , defensively, more physical and the PP should be a lot better.
Offensively there are more questions. I thought we were a roll 3 offensive type of lines team, but then it doesnt look we even tried to sign AK and since the UFA market is pretty dry for secondary scoring , I really dont know what the plan is. Im guessiing that if we hire a good coach he might think it wise to keep DD, Patches and Cole together, play Plekanec with Bourque and Gio, and then give Eller some talent on the wings, which the GM would have to bring in as I doubt the young guys coming up have 20 goal potential this year. Need a good energy 4th line and White is the centerpiece there. Would be nice to have a very good face-off man like Gustaud as well. The Draft is the wild card for us . We could get a guy who could step in right now, or we could be waiting for him ifor 3 years or so.
Anyway, with the right D I think we could be fighting for a play-off spot, with an upgrade at forward we could be close to fighting for 4th -5th in the East.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:03 PM
  #48
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Don't worry about it. Embrace it.

I have prepared myself for a long drought, getting new players and watching them grow will be much more fun than an 8th place and out hockey program.
Great post. I agree 100%




That's the spirit.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:05 PM
  #49
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
I see this season as an anomaly. It's my analysis. And I support it with good arguments. And I keep in mind there are 32 teams in the NHL. But we are a cap team, afterall.

Sure, the Gunthers have some good points too. But it doesn't mean the Siegfrids don't have anything to say. Let me tell you that it's about "IF" on both spectrum. And in the end, it's the Valkyries who decide.
Do you know something we don't?

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:11 PM
  #50
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,467
vCash: 500
I see there's Kool-aid somewhere around here. Pour me a glass please.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.