HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery to Retire? - Brooks: Avery Tells Post he will retire

Old
03-14-2012, 10:11 AM
chosen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYO View Post
Wow, you actually believe that Avery "sabotaged" his own career?!? Here was a player who, I agree, created his persona among those in the NHL and he paid the price for it. He was under severe scrutiny by the officials in the league and opposing players were liberated to do as they wished against him. Not to mention that upper management totally disrespected Ave's with their handling of his affairs this year. You guys still kid yourselves in believing he was let go due to lack of skill set, when we all know this came down to an ego war between Torts and Ave's. Avery still on this team, do we make a trade deadline move for Scott, nope. Does Rupp have better skill set, nope! Do I take Ave's over Mitchell, yep! Again, this is a discussion that could go on for months, as it has in the past. Point is, during our last 3 game losing streak there was something missing, and edge to our game that goes beyond just dropping the gloves, and that edge I think was packed in Sean's hockey bag when we shipped him out of town! Good luck Ave's I wish you nothing but the best!
Not consciously sabotaged, but yes sabotaged.

And making this about Torts is a phony crutch to grasp at.

What other players has Torts ruined?

Why did he have issues in other cities?

Why did no one else want him?

At some point in our lives most of us come to understand that the single biggest reason things are what they are is due to ourselves. To not understand this is to fail at self-awareness.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:51 AM
beef 4 lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Avery napalmed his way out of every team he was on. LA couldn't wait to dump. Dallas sent him home. The NHL sent him to therapy. The Rangers sent him home. He left destruction every time he left. The Rangers brought him back and he even Averyied them. If it wasn't for Glen Sather and Jim Dolan,Avery's career would have ended in 2009. The Stars would have bought him out. If he kept his mouth shut,followed the rules and did not cause trouble in CT,Sather would have put him on re-entry. Sean couldn't do that. Sean had to be Sean. Good riddance Sean.
haha...this is much of why i loved him. He trolls people like you. He chose not to smile at the camera and rattle off the same "party-lines" that players are supposed to say. Dont be afraid of personality, embrace it. NHL needs personality, its a business. it needs the vanilla and it needs Averys.

If I was in pro hockey player, I'd be dating celebrities and humping my way through Hollywood too. I'd make my millions, cause some commotion, use my career to open up doors beyond hockey, and then write a book about everything.

I'm quite sure Avery doesn't care what you think about him. He was great at what he did. Period.

beef 4 lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:33 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sent: Mar 14, 2012 11:29a

Glen Sather on Sean Avery: "We heard he wanted to retire. We sent him his retirement paper and of course he wouldn't sign them."

sent via Twitter for BlackBerry®
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/SportsnetSpec/sta...52443654815744

Signing the papers means he forfeits his remaining salary. You can by that quote Sather is pissed at Sean.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:37 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

He's probably pissed at the way he behaved in Hartford. I can't blame him.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Can't see him getting any offer, let alone the right offer.
If the rumors were true about Calgary wanting to claim him on re-entry, why would it be so shocking for them to offer him a 1 year contract with low $$$?

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:46 AM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 1647
Quote:

Glen Sather on Sean Avery: "We heard he wanted to retire. We sent him his retirement paper and of course he wouldn't sign them."

Signing the papers means he forfeits his remaining salary. You can by that quote Sather is pissed at Sean.
I wouldn't walk away from a few hundred thousand either. He can be paid to sit at home and do what he wants or retire, not get paid and still sit at home and do what he wants. The choice is obvious if I am Avery.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
I wouldn't walk away from a few hundred thousand either. He can be paid to sit at home and do what he wants or retire, not get paid and still sit at home and do what he wants. The choice is obvious if I am Avery.
Just under $600k. I agree with that.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Not consciously sabotaged, but yes sabotaged.

And making this about Torts is a phony crutch to grasp at.

What other players has Torts ruined?

Why did he have issues in other cities?

Why did no one else want him?

At some point in our lives most of us come to understand that the single biggest reason things are what they are is due to ourselves. To not understand this is to fail at self-awareness.
Well said.

Avery was a critical piece of the team at one point. He was a bad guy, but he was our bad guy. The Rangers needed that at one point. Then things changed.

My take is that he failed to adapt in a team first environment. The culture of the team was changing and Avery was no longer a fit. The Rangers were the one team willing to accommodate him to a point, but I suspect that Avery crossed yet another line.

He had a choice and he made it.

He would not compromise. Outlaws don't do compromise. No one should feel sorry for Sean. He made the bed he sleeps in at night.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:32 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef 4 lunch View Post
haha...this is much of why i loved him. He trolls people like you. He chose not to smile at the camera and rattle off the same "party-lines" that players are supposed to say. Dont be afraid of personality, embrace it. NHL needs personality, its a business. it needs the vanilla and it needs Averys.

If I was in pro hockey player, I'd be dating celebrities and humping my way through Hollywood too. I'd make my millions, cause some commotion, use my career to open up doors beyond hockey, and then write a book about everything.

I'm quite sure Avery doesn't care what you think about him. He was great at what he did. Period.
You love someone for throwing away his career.

Most pro athletes have great social lives and hump to their heart's content, yet manage to stay out of the headlines and continue to earn big dollars.

Admiring him for blowing it is funny. Most of us, if given the opportunity, claim that we would give it our all.

Avery did not. According to you, that would be your strategy. That's fine, but then no one should cry for them when it blows up in their face.

At least you realize that this has nothing to do with external forces, like coaches. He did it alone. His choice.

Old
03-14-2012, 01:13 PM
beef 4 lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
You love someone for throwing away his career.

Most pro athletes have great social lives and hump to their heart's content, yet manage to stay out of the headlines and continue to earn big dollars.

Admiring him for blowing it is funny. Most of us, if given the opportunity, claim that we would give it our all.

Avery did not. According to you, that would be your strategy. That's fine, but then no one should cry for them when it blows up in their face.

At least you realize that this has nothing to do with external forces, like coaches. He did it alone. His choice.
throwing his career away?? what is this based on? He played 13 fricking years in the NHL. Never changed who he was and made millions of dollars doing it.....and his career outside of hockey has just begun.

Headlines? ya he made the headlines. you say its bad, i don't. Its who he was. Hockey could use more personality in my opinion.

The guy is 32 years old. Played a rough style of hockey and now he's in the Bloomingdale catalog that came in the mail three days ago.

I'm not crying for him. His career is over. He's moving on...maybe to bigger and better things.

I just laugh at the negative sentiment towards him based on lame reasoning.

beef 4 lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:54 PM
NYRKindms

Quote:

if I was Avery I would be a little pissed off at the Rangers. He came to camp ready to play, he was very good on the ice during the preseason etc. He stood out more than a lot of other guys. He gets sent to Hartford even tho he obviously outplayed people who made the roster. He went down, no real issues that I recall during the first short stint in Hartford. He gets recalled to help the team. He comes back guys in the room say it feels more normal now that he is back. He then gets healthy scratched for guys who are playing no better or worse than he is. And then the Rangers end his hockey career in NY by banishing him to Hartford for the remainder of the season.

He did what they asked him to do and they said thanks but no thanks. So he pissed some people off in Hartford after it was clear the rangers weren't going to use his services and they weren't going to allow him to back in the NHL this year.

If I was Avery I would make sure to collect every penny owed to me by this organization.

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:59 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Some how, some way everywhere Sean goes, he becomes a victim. Curious how that works.

03-14-2012, 02:00 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Well said.

Avery was a critical piece of the team at one point. He was a bad guy, but he was our bad guy. The Rangers needed that at one point. Then things changed.

My take is that he failed to adapt in a team first environment. The culture of the team was changing and Avery was no longer a fit. The Rangers were the one team willing to accommodate him to a point, but I suspect that Avery crossed yet another line.

He had a choice and he made it.

He would not compromise. Outlaws don't do compromise. No one should feel sorry for Sean. He made the bed he sleeps in at night.
Sean Avery is an illustration of the finer points of being a Ranger when they were a group of individuals rather than a cohesive team. In my opinion he was most successful because his antics lit a fire under a group of people who weren't playing for each other like the current team is, but were playing for themselves, as individuals.

That he was so successful here is more a function of how much the Rangers lacked cohesion and motivation than it is related to Avery's on-ice performance in any way. On a team run by a coach that demands motivation and respect from his players, Avery was detrimental and superfluous. I wouldn't be surprised if Avery's polarizing personality would help a team like Columbus, for a very short time.

But it's sort of like implementing a scorched earth policy in war. You might capture the land and it may be an effective way to win in the mid-term, but long-term you're burning it all away.

Khelvan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:01 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKindms View Post
if I was Avery I would be a little pissed off at the Rangers. He came to camp ready to play, he was very good on the ice during the preseason etc. He stood out more than a lot of other guys. He gets sent to Hartford even tho he obviously outplayed people who made the roster. He went down, no real issues that I recall during the first short stint in Hartford. He gets recalled to help the team. He comes back guys in the room say it feels more normal now that he is back. He then gets healthy scratched for guys who are playing no better or worse than he is. And then the Rangers end his hockey career in NY by banishing him to Hartford for the remainder of the season.

He did what they asked him to do and they said thanks but no thanks. So he pissed some people off in Hartford after it was clear the rangers weren't going to use his services and they weren't going to allow him to back in the NHL this year.

If I was Avery I would make sure to collect every penny owed to me by this organization.
coaches decision why he didnt play.. and i dont know, they're doing just fine without his sideshow antics, are they not?

i honestly think he got sent down for cap reasons, not because he is sean avery. had more to do with his cap hit. but you take your demotion like a man, and be an example for the young guys down there. see redden, wade. the rangers owe him NOTHING. in fact, if it wasnt for the rangers taking a flier on him a few seasons ago after the sloppy seconds incident, he wouldve toiled around the minors for a few years anyways. good riddance, goodbye sean

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:09 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
coaches decision why he didnt play.. and i dont know, they're doing just fine without his sideshow antics, are they not?

i honestly think he got sent down for cap reasons, not because he is sean avery. had more to do with his cap hit. but you take your demotion like a man, and be an example for the young guys down there. see redden, wade. the rangers owe him NOTHING. in fact, if it wasnt for the rangers taking a flier on him a few seasons ago after the sloppy seconds incident, he wouldve toiled around the minors for a few years anyways. good riddance, goodbye sean
We're swimming in extra cap space. That's absolutely not the reason.

Torts is a coach. Coaches like play "their" guys. Avery wasn't one of them.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:12 PM
trueblue9441

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
We're swimming in extra cap space. That's absolutely not the reason.

Torts is a coach. Coaches like play "their" guys. Avery wasn't one of them.
not entirely true. at the time they were carrying wolskis cap space and staal was coming back soon. they needed more, plus the ability to bring a guy like nash in. i think it had alot to do with it.

Old
03-14-2012, 02:15 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
not entirely true. at the time they were carrying wolskis cap space and staal was coming back soon. they needed more, plus the ability to bring a guy like nash in. i think it had alot to do with it.
If you need to handicap why Avery was sent down, it'd be about 10% because of cap implications, and 90% because hes a selfish *******.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:17 PM
stan the caddy

Torts is a human being. Just like everyone else, he's biased. He didn't like Sean before he coached him and we have proof of that. His minutes went down each year, we also have proof of that. Avery was eventually phased out. It doesn't make Torts a bad guy or anything. Every coach does this at one point or another.

What's annoying is when people make up BS about Avery. Torts doesn't like him so he's not on the team anymore. It's that simple.

Some fans think he could have helped the team this year.

Old
03-14-2012, 02:17 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Avery came and helped the team until he stopped helping the team. We can chicken and egg the question of whether Torts "neutered" him to no end, and none of us really know how anybody inside the Rangers organization feels about Avery apart from the little we've heard. He's close with guys like Hank and Richards, while he and Torts obviously don't get along personally.

Must we debate this to no end? Some people like Avery. Some people don't like Avery. Nobody is likely to come around on this.

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:18 PM
trueblue9441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
If you need to handicap why Avery was sent down, it'd be about 10% because of cap implications, and 90% because hes a selfish *******.
based on what torts said during 24/7 im not buying that.. i think if he could have helped the team on a nightly basis he wouldve been there. so whats the use of having 2 million sitting in the press box? he got sent down and for the right reasons. he didnt belong here

Old
03-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Torts is a human being. Just like everyone else, he's biased. He didn't like Sean before he coached him and we have proof of that. His minutes went down each year, we also have proof of that. Avery was eventually phased out. It doesn't make Torts a bad guy or anything. Every coach does this at one point or another.
We have proof of this of every coach he plays for, every GM...basically at some point Avery stops being liked (or was never liked to begin with) by every single front office he ever touches.

Avery is no longer on the team because he is more detrimental to the team than he is helpful. Torts is not the only person in the NHL to recognize this.

Old
03-14-2012, 02:24 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
We have proof of this of every coach he plays for, every GM...basically at some point Avery stops being liked (or was never liked to begin with) by every single front office he ever touches.

Avery is no longer on the team because he is more detrimental to the team than he is helpful. Torts is not the only person in the NHL to recognize this.
That's an opinion not a fact.

I would consider Avery an improvement over John Scott. Don't understand why we couldn't make room for him when we clearly have the room.

Old
03-14-2012, 02:28 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
Sean Avery is an illustration of the finer points of being a Ranger when they were a group of individuals rather than a cohesive team. In my opinion he was most successful because his antics lit a fire under a group of people who weren't playing for each other like the current team is, but were playing for themselves, as individuals.

That he was so successful here is more a function of how much the Rangers lacked cohesion and motivation than it is related to Avery's on-ice performance in any way. On a team run by a coach that demands motivation and respect from his players, Avery was detrimental and superfluous. I wouldn't be surprised if Avery's polarizing personality would help a team like Columbus, for a very short time.

But it's sort of like implementing a scorched earth policy in war. You might capture the land and it may be an effective way to win in the mid-term, but long-term you're burning it all away.
This at least is a serious argument and I prefer it to the 'sarcastic' approach or the fuming hostility of other posters. Avery IMO is maybe as good a player as Feds or Mitchell but both of them are a lot more cap friendly and in some ways more rounded players. Neither of them are locks for next year either. And actually I think there's been some regression in Sean's game--which isn't surprising considering his size, age and the pounding he's taken over the years. Factor in the outside interests--I actually like his personality--the curiosity about things outside the game but you still have to wonder how motivated he is sometimes. Like maybe hockey had just become a job for him. He could help some other teams in the right situation. That's just an opinion though.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Khelvan

Quote:
That's an opinion not a fact.

I would consider Avery an improvement over John Scott. Don't understand why we couldn't make room for him when we clearly have the room.
I said detrimental to the team, not as an individual player.

Every single thing stated in this thread is opinion, not fact. Other than actual, real transactions, we can look at a quote from John Tortorella and NONE of us know his true motivation for saying it. So nothing stated here is fact.

What is clear is that the Rangers are the last of a long line of teams that sent Avery away. Does this make it fact that he wasn't helping the team? No. Any more than Tortorella saying something negative about Avery means, factually, that he doesn't like him.

But we could (and some of us did) predict that eventually Avery would wear out his welcome with the Rangers much like he did every other place he played, and that his personality would polarize the locker room (making some enemies, some friends, but in general causing division) as it did in the other places he has played.

More opinion: For a team to play hard for each and every other individual, for the product on the ice to be greater than the sum of its parts, individuals that cause polarization are not helpful, but instead detrimental. Unless that player is on the level of an elite talent, such an influence in the locker room is, in my opinion, very detrimental, far more than skill/play on the ice can benefit the team.

In my opinion the pattern here is clear.

Old
03-14-2012, 03:22 PM
chosen

Amazed at the theory that Torts killed Avery off to the team's detriment and that Sather let it go.

This means that Sather allowed a team that has less of a chance of winning a Cup to go forward.

Reality check.

Management in no business sacrifices the bottom line for an employee.

Some of you are painting a fairy tale.