HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 3-2

Old
03-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Expatriate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
Does this roster look anything like that team from the 80's which many people think was the greatest hockey team ever assembled? No it doesn't. It's only MY opinion not fact frankly comparing todays team to that is laughable, I only mentioned the dynasty team because it seems like many people feel that we should be in the same place as that team after drafting two #1 picks.
It is not a question of being in the same place but the attitude. This whole organization is built on not to lose, not to win. The Esks have adapted the same attitude.

The 80's were owned by the Eskies and the Oilers. Now we are a joke, in both leagues.

Expatriate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:57 AM
LaGu

Renney's PG comments

Quote:
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/03/1...enneys-message

Renney boiled over during his post-game press conference Monday. He criticized his team for their lack of effort and apparent unwillingness to try and win games.

“It doesn’t take many for the wrong approach, the wrong attitude, the wrong give a s- -t to make its way through the dressing room,” Renney said Monday. “It doesn’t take many guys at all. We have a few people who have to look in the mirror here because this is unacceptable.

“You’re the Edmonton Oilers, you’re a millionaire, you have the opportunity to play the game … Suck it up and play hockey.”

Heading into Monday’s game, the Oilers were saying all the right things. They were talking about having to play with pride and for the crest in the front of the jersey and not the name on the back, and whatever other cliché they could come up with.

Yet they came up with another poor effort at home, where they’ve lost five straight and eight of their last nine.

That set off the head coach, who tore into the team in the dressing room after the game, before piling on to the media.

“It’s part of the process. It’s not going to be pretty every night and it’s not going to go your way every night,” Renney said Tuesday. “As a coach and as a coaching staff you try to impart the right principals and the right way you have to play and they’re be departures from that. (Monday) was certainly an opportunity to address things that we have to do in order to improve and we have to improve as a team, it’s that simple.

“It may be out of character for me to display that often. But I don’t think it’s out character for me to make it clear to my players, even through you people (media) what needs to be done by them.”

Whether the message was received won’t be known until Wednesday, when the Oilers play host to the Columbus Blue Jackets, the only team lower in the NHL standings.

The Blue Jackets have had issues of their own this season and are expected to clean house this summer, starting by moving captain Rick Nash.

If the Oilers come up with a poor effort again Wednesday against the worst team in the league, many expect there’ll be some house cleaning done in Edmonton as well.

“I think we should all be a little bit embarrassed,” said Oilers defenceman Ryan Whitney. “Tom made good points. You can’t just try and finish out a season and not play hard.
I know this has been brought up to a certain extent in other threads but I thought it was worth a thread of its own.

There are a few things that strike me in regards to his comments, some I think are fair, others are just BS but I'll post them anyway...

1) About ****ing time. I think these comments could have been made a bit sooner but the timing is alright. I would have shamed the players the moment we were out of the playoff discussion.

2) “You’re the Edmonton Oilers, you’re a millionaire, you have the opportunity to play the game … Suck it up and play hockey.” Who is he refering to? I'd go with Smyth & Horc as my top two. And before people come out a scream Omark (and here comes one of my BS points I guess), Renney specifically said "millionaires", Omark is not a millionaire, neither are basically any of our kids if you don't consider Gagner a kid....

3) With regard to Renney being pissed off: I find this line very strange I don’t think it’s out character for me to make it clear to my players, even through you people (media) what needs to be done by them.. Has it really gone that far? I have this odd feeling that this means that the players have more respect for the media, i.e. how they are "percieved", than they have for Renney... I may be missunderstaing this (ENG is not my mother tongue).

4) Whitney's comments .... "A little bit embarrassed". No, wrong answer/reaction! It's nowhere near "a little bit"... At the least drop the "little bit", you should be ******* embarrassed and be able to stand up for and take the heat for it.

5) Last point... So we'll redeem ourselves against Columbus.......... Against COLUMBUS?! I couldn't care less if we beat Columbus. They are crap, and seeing as they always seem to play below their already low level of hockey against us, a win in this game doesn't mean or say anything at all... This is not the game to watch if you're looking for some kind of positive reaction from our team...

OK, I'm done.

Last edited by LaGu: 03-14-2012 at 10:03 AM.
LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:06 AM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Tom Renney is a great coach.

I think he is talking about Cam Barker. He is a millionare and he sucks.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

I don't think this deserves its own thread TBH. It's been discussed ad nauseum in the PGT two days ago. I don't think there's a need to spawn another thread for it.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:52 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
I don't think this deserves its own thread TBH. It's been discussed ad nauseum in the PGT two days ago. I don't think there's a need to spawn another thread for it.
I bow my head to the mods . You're right, thanks.

Old
03-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Disagreed. Lagu makes some effort, points out his post clearly and succinctly, quotes some good information that everybody has wanted to read more on and see in entirety, and this is being moved to page 17 of a 2 day old thread?

At the same time other threads proliferate on this board that are complete and absolute junk and that are entire wastes of time.

For instance a poster who wasn't even a member of this board opens up an account just so he can start a thread on "Where's Ted Nolan" with the brilliant OP "where he at?" How does that garbage thread add anything to the board that anybody wants? That thread has been open for days on the front page. Why was it not closed outright?

Why the piecemeal distinction in preferring one thread over another?

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:59 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Disagreed. Lagu makes some effort, points out his post clearly and succinctly, quotes some good information that everybody has wanted to read more on and see in entirety, and this is being moved to page 17 of a 2 day old thread?

At the same time other threads proliferate on this board that are complete and absolute junk and that are entire wastes of time.

For instance a poster who wasn't even a member of this board opens up an account just so he can start a thread on "Where's Ted Nolan" with the brilliant OP "where he at?" How does that garbage thread add anything to the board that anybody wants? That thread has been open for days on the front page. Why was it not closed outright?

All valid points...I agree.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:21 AM
LaGu

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
All valid points...I agree.
Thanks a lot . I really appreciate it.

It was 'post on page 17 of PGT'-idea that made me go for a new thread.

Old
03-14-2012, 11:32 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:

Moderation is not up for debate.

If you'd like to support Lagu's post, perhaps a more constructive use of your post would be to address the content in Lagu's post to generate discussion, instead of debate its location.

Old
03-14-2012, 11:33 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
How long does it take before the management will finally get it that this team is bad because the players are very poor on the team.It is very sad that they keep expecting something to change by having a "closed door meeting" or a bag skate in the past.The crap that is of this team will never go away until the very bad players on this team are cut loose.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:41 AM
LaGu

Quote:

If you'd like to support Lagu's post, perhaps a more constructive use of your post would be to address the content in Lagu's post to generate discussion, instead of debate its location.
You should have a word with my wife... Moderation is always up for debate

Old
03-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:

There wouldn't be a whole lot of point trying to "generate discussion" on the 18th page of a pgt that now wouldn't be labeled for what that discussion is actually about and that would allow others to see, and join in the discussion.

Just so its clear I'm not questioning moderation. I am asking about an editorial decision. Which as a board member I think its reasonable and fair to do.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Jamin

Quote:

I agree. I have been checking the board all week wondering why not a single poster in HF oil has talked about renney finally having a meltdown. Id like a disucssion on it but dont really start threads myself. Dont really wanna read 18 pages of post game thread to discuss 1 issue

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
There wouldn't be a whole lot of point trying to "generate discussion" on the 18th page of a pgt that now wouldn't be labeled for what that discussion is actually about and that would allow others to see, and join in the discussion.

Just so its clear I'm not questioning moderation. I am asking about an editorial decision. Which as a board member I think its reasonable and fair to do.
The coach's post game comments have a place in the post game thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
I agree. I have been checking the board all week wondering why not a single poster in HF oil has talked about renney finally having a meltdown. Id like a disucssion on it but dont really start threads myself. Dont really wanna read 18 pages of post game thread to discuss 1 issue
You've checked all week eh?... all 44 hours since the game ended on Monday. There's 18 pages of discussion on Renney's comments. The discussion's all there in transcript, so you'd either like a discussion or you don't really wanna read 18 pages of it. Some post more tangential then others, but I haven't found a thread on there that doesn't tangent somewhere at some point.

I'm not trying to rain on parades or deny people soup. The post game discussion, including Renney's post game comment discussion, is here. From what I'm seeing, it looks like more people rather talk about where things belong rather then discussing Renney's comments.

Old
03-15-2012, 04:24 PM
Jamin

You mean the 14 page thread about dressing room divide that is so off topic multiple mods have chimed in.

"This thread has veered too off-topic. Some of you can probably expect further moderator action when I or someone else has the time to go through this mess."

I think me and I'll assume replacement wanted a thread specifically about the media rant not about how he treats Omark or how Horcoff sucks.

Also:

"The thread has been reopened, anyone that comes in here to stir the pot will be dealt with whether it be immediate or as soon as we have time."

So it is possible when I looked it was closed

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 04:44 PM
Baby Nilsson

Well I thought it was strange seeing this PGT at the top.. If it wasn't for me being curious and then seeing Lagu's post, I would have never known Renney's comments existed.

Baby Nilsson is offline   Reply With Quote