HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Garrison and Versteeg Contract Status

Old
02-15-2012, 02:14 PM
PanthersRule96

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Robak or Petrovic are going to have to earn a job in camp if they want to make this team, we aren't going to trade anyone to make room for them. I know everyone thinks Jovo is going to go, but I don't think so. First of all, no one is going to take that contract unless it's a swap of bad contracts in which case I'd rather not. IMO Weaver is more likely to go, but not until after next season at the earliest. I think Robak spends one more year in the AHL, and then we'll assess things one year from now. Petrovic likely spends at least a couple years in the AHL. I really don't see a realistic alternative to this plan unless Garry walks, and we replace him with someone on a 1 year deal. Unless Ellerby is traded this summer, which I find unlikely though. That's just the way our defense is set up.

I would give Garry a 3-5 year deal worth up to 4.25M per. If he asks for significantly higher than 4.25, I'd let him walk. It's tough because we I feel we can't afford to lose him, but at the same time we also have to re-sign Versteeg and Kuli, and plan for Weiss's new contract extension(hopefully) which would kick in a year later. I guess it really depends on how much money Viner gives Tallon to play with over the next few years. Playoff revenue would be nice, but barring a miracle playoff run Viner would still have to up the ante more if we were to compete with the highest spending teams.
4.25 per for garry? I hope he improves but there's no guarantee that he's not the next Andy Delmore. I don't think he's worth much over 3 mil per year. I like him, but no sense in overspending just based on half a season where he's been lights out. Olesz looked good for short periods of time and got himself a big contract that ended up being rough. I'd sign Garry to a max 2 year deal at 3.25 per and then reevaluate and see if he deserves a longterm or if it's an aberration.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 02:44 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
4.25 per for garry? I hope he improves but there's no guarantee that he's not the next Andy Delmore. I don't think he's worth much over 3 mil per year. I like him, but no sense in overspending just based on half a season where he's been lights out. Olesz looked good for short periods of time and got himself a big contract that ended up being rough. I'd sign Garry to a max 2 year deal at 3.25 per and then reevaluate and see if he deserves a longterm or if it's an aberration.
Andy Delmore!!!!

The difference is, Garrison has been completely consistent defensively, and totally underused offensively. THink of how many Garrison might have if they used him full time on the PP, while setting up looking for his shot. (**REF* OVECHKIN**)

GREAT POST M R!!!

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Based on his play this season, he's worth at least 4. There's no guarantee he'll keep up this level of play, but that's what makes contracts interesting. If it was easy, then every team would be the Red Wings. The Olesz contract was based 100% on potential. Because he was a high 1st round pick and scored a few amazing goals in his rookie year. He did have good hands...at one point. But the thing with Gary is, like CHGoalie said, he's so consistent game in game out, not just offensively, but defensively. It's hard seeing him regress that badly. Even if he never matches this goal output again, he still wouldn't be that overpaid, based on his defensive play. The guy is a boafide shutdown D. I thought 10-11 was a bit of an abberation from him defensively, but it turns out it wasn't. He's rock solid in his own end. We could do a lot worse it terms of overpayment. 4+ over a few years is what he's gonna want, so I'd give it to him. We're not gonna sign as good a D as him in free agency. He knows he can get that if he hits the market. It would be really tough to lose him and I'd hate to break up this solid D core we have after only one year. Our D could become our strength for many years to come if we lock him up, and then just think of the kids we also have on the way.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Erick

Quote:
Based on his play this season, he's worth at least 4. There's no guarantee he'll keep up this level of play, but that's what makes contracts interesting. If it was easy, then every team would be the Red Wings. The Olesz contract was based 100% on potential. Because he was a high 1st round pick and scored a few amazing goals in his rookie year. He did have good hands...at one point. But the thing with Gary is, like CHGoalie said, he's so consistent game in game out, not just offensively, but defensively. It's hard seeing him regress that badly. Even if he never matches this goal output again, he still wouldn't be that overpaid, based on his defensive play. The guy is a boafide shutdown D. I thought 10-11 was a bit of an abberation from him defensively, but it turns out it wasn't. He's rock solid in his own end. We could do a lot worse it terms of overpayment. 4+ over a few years is what he's gonna want, so I'd give it to him. We're not gonna sign as good a D as him in free agency. He knows he can get that if he hits the market. It would be really tough to lose him and I'd hate to break up this solid D core we have after only one year. Our D could become our strength for many years to come if we lock him up, and then just think of the kids we also have on the way.
100% agree. I highly doubt he gets less than 4. He's been awesome the past two years and the 13 goals this year only inflates the contract he's going to get.

If we're not willing to give him 4+, some other team(s) will.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:09 AM
Tuco

Quote:
You have to trade from strength. And D is our strength. Garry is at the height of his value looking back, and in my opinion, looking forward as well.

Tallon should carefully examine the possiblities to trade him for scoring.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
You have to trade from strength. And D is our strength. Garry is at the height of his value looking back, and in my opinion, looking forward as well.

Tallon should carefully examine the possiblities to trade him for scoring.
I don't think he should rule out any possibilities, but I disagree with your assessment of Gary and it's hard to imagine a deal sweet enough that would make us part with him and get a very good forward. A contender is going to want to keep it's best pieces together for the playoffs. A seller most likely doesn't want a UFA, they want young talent or at least someone who is locked up past this season.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:29 AM
Tuco

Quote:
I don't think he should rule out any possibilities, but I disagree with your assessment of Gary and it's hard to imagine a deal sweet enough that would make us part with him and get a very good forward. A contender is going to want to keep it's best pieces together for the playoffs. A seller most likely doesn't want a UFA, they want young talent or at least someone who is locked up past this season.
You're right, him being UFA makes it harder for the deal to be sufficiently attractive to us. Sign and trade maybe? I know, fantasy material, but I guess my point is I hope we don't overpay him too much just based on his goal total this season.

Last edited by Tuco: 02-17-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:37 PM
chuckcouples

Has there been any talk on either of these guys re-signing recently?

chuckcouples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 04:04 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
Has there been any talk on either of these guys re-signing recently?
I was next to Yormark and another guy last night for the Kopecky deflection. Before they announced the goal change I told them it was deflected by. The one guy said that would be great for the contract. I'm not sure if he meant Kopecky or like the lower the goal count-the cheaper the Bomb. Morally I hope the first one.

We need to resign him. As much as I love my Russian Stars Bure jersey, I want my damn Garrison jersey already.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 08:02 AM
SufferingCatFan

The best run franchises (ex. Detroit) exercise discipline. We have no choice, because we lack rich owners and are need be to be a lot closer to the salary floor than the cap.

We are going to resign Kulikov, an RFA, who will still command big dollars.Once that gets done, Garrison becomes a luxury, not a necessity.

My own guess is that the Panthers will try to resign him in the $3-3.5 mm range, but let him walk if they fail to resign him.

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:45 AM
CaptainScrewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
I was next to Yormark and another guy last night for the Kopecky deflection. Before they announced the goal change I told them it was deflected by. The one guy said that would be great for the contract. I'm not sure if he meant Kopecky or like the lower the goal count-the cheaper the Bomb. Morally I hope the first one.
Gotta be the second one. I think the same thing every time Garrison scores I think well damn...add another 250k to his contract. I'm glad they changed that goal! I want to sign Garrison but at this point I think he is going to get a $5mil+ contract and while I think he could be worth it; I just don't see us going that high with the way our team is structured.

Wish we had done it earlier in the season for a 3-3.5 deal, oh well.

CaptainScrewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:17 PM
p9ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
The best run franchises (ex. Detroit) exercise discipline. We have no choice, because we lack rich owners and are need be to be a lot closer to the salary floor than the cap.

We are going to resign Kulikov, an RFA, who will still command big dollars.Once that gets done, Garrison becomes a luxury, not a necessity.

My own guess is that the Panthers will try to resign him in the $3-3.5 mm range, but let him walk if they fail to resign him.
If the contract is not close to be done, we could trade his right around draft day for a 3rd round pick or a prospect.

p9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Panthers are Red
Why so sad?

Garrison seems to be a really important part of the team. I think the performances and results are a lot better since he has returned, although I can't put any real figures behind that. But it would be a big loss to the team if we are unable to resign him.

I am surprised that there is no news on Kulikov and Versteegs contracts yet. I thought them being out injured would lead to some progress there as obviously they have not been so busy travelling and playing. I know that just because there is no announcement doesn't mean there hasn't been any progress but I would have liked to hear something get announced.

Panthers are Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Snipeshow

What's the general prediction of what Versteeg will re-sign for?

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote