HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Philadelphia Eagles & NFL discussion

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2012, 07:20 AM
Stonehands77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Carl Nicks wants to be the highest-paid guard in football. Just say no. Re-sign Evan Mathis at a better price and focus on upgrading the defense. What the **** is wrong with these *******s?

Though now that I think about it, blowing a **** ton of money on Nicks would be such a typical Eagles move.

Happy to hear about Herremans. One of the few guys on the team that I actually like.
Agreed on both points. Going for Nicks is bizarre, if you can get Mathis at a more reasonable price and upgrade a defense which desperately needs a talent infusion at every position except CB, and maybe d-line. Not sure what they're thinking there. I'd go hard after Tulloch, and at least one other LB, as well as any S who isn't a complete doofus.

And Herremans being back is a very good thing.

Old
03-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
Agreed on both points. Going for Nicks is bizarre, if you can get Mathis at a more reasonable price and upgrade a defense which desperately needs a talent infusion at every position except CB, and maybe d-line. Not sure what they're thinking there. I'd go hard after Tulloch, and at least one other LB, as well as any S who isn't a complete doofus.

And Herremans being back is a very good thing.
Not really interested in Tulloch or Lofton, both of whom are the most popular candidates among Eagles fans and the local talking heads. I think London Fletcher or David Hawthorne would be better targets at LB.

Old
03-14-2012, 10:55 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Not really interested in Tulloch or Lofton, both of whom are the most popular candidates among Eagles fans and the local talking heads. I think London Fletcher or David Hawthorne would be better targets at LB.
I like going after Fletcher but only if they draft Kuechy in the first round. Fletcher is getting on in years and Kuechy could benefit from playing a more limited role and stepping up next year.

Old
03-14-2012, 10:56 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Wayne just re-upped in Indy
Didn't know that. My bad.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
Old
03-14-2012, 10:57 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fish View Post
Marshall to Chicago?! I guess Miami is out of the Manning race. Why trade your best WR when you are trying to attract the top FA QB? Maybe they are in on Flynn and will draft a WR, more of a move to build around Flynn for the future.
Marshall is still POS ,, That is why

Damn I hate having to cheer for players like him ,,, Bears have been good for most part not tolerating guys like him (Benson + Johnson got sent packing for there off-field antics ,, + Benson was terrible in lockeroom)

Still the price Bears paid for best WR talent the franchise has ever had wasn't bad ,, Wonder how many games Goodell will hit him with

Still Cutler throwing passes to Marshall again should be great to watch ,, Wish the Bears would bring in Eddie Royal as well (We have Broncos OC from 2008 so mine as well put the band back together)

Old
03-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
Didn't know that. My bad.
All good, I believe he resigned just after you posted that

Old
03-14-2012, 12:26 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

I can hardly remember what it was like to get excited about the Eagles... Such a shame, I used to love getting fired up for the Birds; now, its "meh, whatever."

Old
03-14-2012, 12:41 PM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

Well, 5 years, $47.5 million for Nicks. Signed with the Bucs.

Now just re-up Mathis and then focus on the D.

Also, Winston Justice was traded to the Colts to move up 15 spots in the 6th round, or as Dennis Deitch put it, 1.48 bags of baseballs. lol

Old
03-14-2012, 12:41 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Isn't Fletcher 37? That age thing makes me nervous. Don't know much about Hawthorne, but I have little doubt he'd be an upgrade over the currently clowns they have.

What's the issue you have with Tulloch, out of curiousity?

Old
03-14-2012, 12:51 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_28 View Post
Well, 5 years, $47.5 million for Nicks. Signed with the Bucs.

Now just re-up Mathis and then focus on the D.

Also, Winston Justice was traded to the Colts to move up 15 spots in the 6th round, or as Dennis Deitch put it, 1.48 bags of baseballs. lol
I saw that this morning and all I could think was "poor Andrew Luck...welcome to the league kid"

Old
03-14-2012, 12:57 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Jamaal Jackson was released.

Old
03-14-2012, 01:00 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Isn't Fletcher 37? That age thing makes me nervous. Don't know much about Hawthorne, but I have little doubt he'd be an upgrade over the currently clowns they have.

Yeah I would have Tulloch as my #1 target. He played in Tennessee under Washburn and showed he can be an effective run stuffer even while the guys up front are playing a wide 9. I can't really think of a better fit for the defense.

Old
03-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Yeah I would have Tulloch as my #1 target. He played in Tennessee under Washburn and showed he can be an effective run stuffer even while the guys up front are playing a wide 9. I can't really think of a better fit for the defense.
Well, Washburn wasn't the DC for the Titans, so it wasn't under Washburn, but it was with his system. And really, they just need someone better there. I'd love it if they grabbed Kuechly and signed a big time LB, just so we wouldn't have to worry about getting shredded by the run or by TE/RB pass receptions.

Old
03-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I like going after Fletcher but only if they draft Kuechy in the first round. Fletcher is getting on in years and Kuechy could benefit from playing a more limited role and stepping up next year.
Quote:

Fletcher turns 37 in May, but he's no run-of-the-mill 37-year old. Did you know he hasn't missed a single game in his entire 14-year career? He's literally the most durable player in the NFL. At the linebacker position, no less! Unbelievable. Hell, he just had his best season at age 36. Those who are scared off by Fletcher's age aren't digging beneath the surface. Trust me, I live in DC and have been watching him for five years. He flies around on the field like a guy in his 20's. On a two-year deal, I absolutely pull the trigger. Tremendous player, even better leader.

Just a personal preference when it comes to Tulloch. It's not that I have anything against him, per se, I just prefer Fletcher and Hawthorne. I think Hawthorne is really, really good -- the best linebacker in the league that no one talks about.

Old
03-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Amateur Hour

Annnnnnnnnnnnd there it is... DeSean, 5 years at $51 million (guaranteed money not yet reported). I guess the Eagles caved or took a look at what the wide receivers were getting on the FA market and knew they had to pony up.

Now re-sign Mathis and extend Shady.

Old
03-14-2012, 03:52 PM
MRxBLACK
Charlie don't surf!

vCash: 943
Quote:
Annnnnnnnnnnnd there it is... DeSean, 5 years at $51 million (guaranteed money not yet y.
Just puked a little.

Old
03-14-2012, 04:07 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Fletcher turns 37 in May, but he's no run-of-the-mill 37-year old. Did you know he hasn't missed a single game in his entire 14-year career? He's literally the most durable player in the NFL. At the linebacker position, no less! Unbelievable. Hell, he just had his best season at age 36. Those who are scared off by Fletcher's age aren't digging beneath the surface. Trust me, I live in DC and have been watching him for five years. He flies around on the field like a guy in his 20's. On a two-year deal, I absolutely pull the trigger. Tremendous player, even better leader.

Just a personal preference when it comes to Tulloch. It's not that I have anything against him, per se, I just prefer Fletcher and Hawthorne. I think Hawthorne is really, really good -- the best linebacker in the league that no one talks about.
Yeah that's what I'm saying. He's a sick LB, but even as durable as he is, I doubt he plays more than two-three seasons. Sign him to a two year deal. Draft Kuechy. Start Fletcher this year and allow Kuechy to get work in when needed. Then next year when Fletcher is 38 hand the reigns to Kuechy and let Fletcher fill in as needed.

Old
03-14-2012, 04:09 PM
dawkins121

5 years 51 million actually seems very reasonable.

Old
03-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

I'm fine with the deal. On average it isn't much more than the franchise deal per year (10.2/5 years vs. 9.5/1year) and seems about right, although I haven't yet seen the details to see how much is front-loaded and whatnot. I still don't know why this couldn't have been done sometime last season. Maybe it was those great signings of VY, Ronnie Brown, et. al, taking up too much cap space. You gotta think if this happened 6 months ago he would've busted it a little more than he did, and who knows what would've happened.

Now... Shady needs to get paid.

Old
03-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
Just puked a little.
Given the money that was doled out to WRs yesterday, this deal seems about right. Two weeks ago I wouldn't have been okay with $51 million for DeSean. Today, I am.

Old
03-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Amateur Hour

Another thing about the DeSean deal... just wait for the details to come out. From what I'm hearing, this could be a classic Eagles contract -- back-loaded and team-friendly in terms of bonus money being paid out over the first few seasons (see: Vick, Michael).

Old
03-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Another thing about the DeSean deal... just wait for the details to come out. From what I'm hearing, this could be a classic Eagles contract -- back-loaded and team-friendly in terms of bonus money being paid out over the first few seasons (see: Vick, Michael).
Yea I just read on Espn that the first two years have 14.75 million of the guaranteed money. It also saves the Eagles 6.5 million in cap space this year as well. Great contract for the team.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post...-jacksons-deal

Quote:
Looking at the details of the Philadelphia Eagles' new contract with DeSean Jackson, it looks pretty favorable for the team. As I understand it, the base value of the deal is $47 million over five years, with escalators that could push it as high as $51 million if he plays all five years and meets them all. It also includes $15 million in fully guaranteed money and an additional $3 million in injury guarantees. Of the $15 million guaranteed, he gets $14.75 million in the first two years.

Per a league source, Jackson gets a $10 million signing bonus and a $750,000 base salary in 2012. He gets a $6.75 million base salary in 2013, and $4 million of that is fully guaranteed while the rest is guaranteed only against injury. Of his $10.25 million 2014 salary, only $250,000 is fully guaranteed and $250,000 is guaranteed against injury. He's eligible for a $250,000 workout bonus in each year of the deal, and his base salaries for the final two years are not guaranteed.

Old
03-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Amateur Hour

^^ Yeah, wow, stupidly good deal for the Eagles. Makes you wonder what the **** all the fuss has been about the past few years.

Old
03-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Amateur Hour

More good news: Apparently, a Shady extension looks to be on the horizon (link).

I think 6 years at $65-70 million with $30 million guaranteed should do the trick.

Old
03-14-2012, 07:07 PM
MRxBLACK
Charlie don't surf!

vCash: 943
Quote:
Given the money that was doled out to WRs yesterday, this deal seems about right. Two weeks ago I wouldn't have been okay with $51 million for DeSean. Today, I am.
Now that Ive seen the details im better with the deal than I was before. The thing that confuses me is that Vincent Jackson got 5yrs 55 mil compared to deseans 5 yr 51 mil. Desean isnt in the same league as Vincent.

Closed Thread