HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Doughty not meeting expectations....

Old
03-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Butch 19
King me

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post

I don't feel he tries to make the highlight reel hits overly often. Yes, he does from time to time, and it does impact his positioning at times, but the same could be said of all defensemen who do those hits. Scot Stevens got taken out of position from time to time, but I'd take his game any day of the week and live with those odd miscalculations. I don't see any more of these hits than what he did earlier in his career. Besides, those hits can sway a games momentum, even if they cause an opportunity for a team (which
Doughty DOES make the highlight reels once in a while, but he's usually the Dman getting beat.

and did you just compare Doughty to Scott Stevens?! Stop, please, you're killing me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
and B) Doughty is like Paul Coffey, he has such good skating and talent that he can lead a rush, go deep, but still recover. Not to mention that the systems in play now call for a forward to cover on the blueline in those cases where a guy like Drew feels the need to pinch. Just because a D-man pinches is not a bad thing.
I saw Coffey play, and Doughty is no Paul Coffey... God, I wish he was! He is several BIG steps away from being seriously compared to Paul Coffey.

There is always hope for improvement, Doughty is young, and he needs to step it up quite a bit to be considered an elite defenseman.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:54 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Doughty DOES make the highlight reels once in a while, but he's usually the Dman getting beat.

and did you just compare Doughty to Scott Stevens?! Stop, please, you're killing me.

I saw Coffey play, and Doughty is no Paul Coffey... God, I wish he was! He is several BIG steps away from being seriously compared to Paul Coffey.

There is always hope for improvement, Doughty is young, and he needs to step it up quite a bit to be considered an elite defenseman.
Yah, the comparisons to some of the best defensemen of all time are neither accurate or fair to Drew Doughty. He's not Bourque, Coffey or Stevens and the NHL has rarely seen players with those skill sets. In 85-86 Coffey scored 48 goals, dished out 90 assists for 138 points and was a plus 61-I don't think Doughnuts will be reaching that mark anytime soon. Bourque, in his last season with Colorado, in the clutch and grab era and being an old man managed 80 games played, 7 goals, 52 assists for 59 points. And Stevens in 93-94 put up 78 points and was a plus 53. If you want to be fair to Doughty you can eliminate any HOF dmen from the list cause as of right now Drew has no shot (obviously still a long way to go but there is a very long road ahead of him). I'd look more to a player like Steve Duchesne, not the sad sack the second time around with the Kings but the rest of his career as a great offensive defensemen. Will Drew play 1113 games in the NHL, score 227 goals, 525 assists for 752 points and be a plus 88 when he hangs up his skates?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 01:15 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post

Butch, you are one of my fav posters, but this is the second time your reeding comprehension has really sucked when responding to one of my posts.

No, I am NOT comparing Drew to Stevens or to Coffey.

As I said, Drew does make the big hits from time time, not every game. Not often. But he does, and then I said even Stevens did that. I'm not saying he is Stevens, nor did I ever imply as such. Stevens and Doughty are different players, but, just like Stevens, Drew takes himself out of the play once in a while to make a big hit. That is where Stevens and Doughty likeness virtually ends.

I am also not saying he's Paul Coffey. I also have watched Coffey play, and play virtually his whole career at that. All I was saying was that Drew, like Paul Coffey, has the ability to lead a rush, to pick the puck up in his own end and skate it the leangth of the ice. I am not saying Drew is going to pot 138 points in a season, nearly reach 50 goals, or win three Norris Trophies.

The fact you can leap to such outlandish interpretations of my post is what is

In the future, please really read what I have written, not go off on some post about how you remember the good ole days and are talking to some young pup who doesn't know the difference from Pierre Pilote and Rich Pilon.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 01:39 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

I think fair expectation is Doughty is in the top 10 in NHL dmen points. Currently, Drew is 33rd tied with Jack Johnson. Drew has less points than Tomas Kaberle, Mark Streit, Kimmo Timmonen, Sergei Gonchar, Nick Leddy and Ian White among others which shouldn't be the case. I suppose this is where I get hit with stats don't mean everything argument.

Old
03-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I think fair expectation is Doughty is in the top 10 in NHL dmen points. Currently, Drew is 33rd tied with Jack Johnson. Drew has less points than Tomas Kaberle, Mark Streit, Kimmo Timmonen, Sergei Gonchar, Nick Leddy and Ian White among others which shouldn't be the case. I suppose this is where I get hit with stats don't mean everything argument.
It wouldn't be as bad if he was playing like a defensive stalwart but that isn't the case.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:07 AM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

Better performance tonight by Doughty. Got lucky on his two points but you got to be good to be lucky and lucky to be good. Did a good job getting pucks to the net and showed some of that killer instinct when he had the puck. We need more of that from Doughty

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:13 AM
Asheru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
It wouldn't be as bad if he was playing like a defensive stalwart but that isn't the case.
He's been used as a shutdown defenseman all season long on one of the best defensive teams in the league.

Two rough games don't wipe that out. And what do you know, tonight he's right back on track.

Sutter is right: he is usually competing at a very high level and is also a work in progress.

Asheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:23 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrazor12 View Post
Better performance tonight by Doughty. Got lucky on his two points but you got to be good to be lucky and lucky to be good. Did a good job getting pucks to the net and showed some of that killer instinct when he had the puck. We need more of that from Doughty
First multi point game since Feb 1st? For a guy who plays as many minutes as Drew does that's hard to believe.

Old
03-14-2012, 05:42 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
First multi point game since Feb 1st? For a guy who plays as many minutes as Drew does that's hard to believe.
I bet he bags multi-chick nights more often than not.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
But when you consider how bad the Kings have been offensively, it's easier to believe.

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote