HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sean Avery to Retire? - Brooks: Avery Tells Post he will retire

Old
03-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Vito Andolini

vCash: 500
For anyone that is still complaining about the unfair treatment of Sean Avery...

How many times this season have you watched the games and reflected on how much this team misses Sean Avery's presence?

For me, the answer is almost never. That says everything that needs to be said about why he's not here. For the most part, he's just not needed.

The money, the attitude, etc. are really just add-ons. The core issue with Avery is that he basically had no role on this team...at least not with a healthy line-up.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:17 PM
ocarina

Maybe the reason why Avery got demoted was because he simply wasn't good enough anymore?

His numbers the previous season were a pretty big step back from years past. And when he got a second chance this season, aside from his goal in his first game back, he was near invisible and a non-factor. He got outplayed by John Mitchell.

I mean, I'll always appreciate him for coming in and giving the team a spark when we first got him. But like in LA, in Dallas, his act got old pretty fast. When you act like a baby and throw a hissy fit over being demoted, that's no way to get back into the league.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Lol. Cally said it was a treat to see Sean waving his stick in front of Marty.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:24 PM
redfzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Lol. Cally said it was a treat to see Sean waving his stick in front of Marty.
When/where?

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfzn View Post
When/where?
He was on Boomer and Carton this morning.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:37 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sent: Mar 14, 2012 11:29a

Glen Sather on Sean Avery: "We heard he wanted to retire. We sent him his retirement paper and of course he wouldn't sign them."

sent via Twitter for BlackBerry®
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/SportsnetSpec/sta...52443654815744

Signing the papers means he forfeits his remaining salary. You can by that quote Sather is pissed at Sean.
Sather probably messed up and probably sent him the retirement papers with "Wade Redden" filled in all the spaces that he keeps on hand lying around in his office. Just a clerical error.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Sather probably messed up and probably sent him the retirement papers with "Wade Redden" filled in all the spaces that he keeps on hand lying around in his office. Just a clerical error.
Redden is a pretty good example of what a genuine class act would do in this situation. Guy signed a big contract that he never lived up to, but he was absolutely crucified by fans for it. Never had the rabid, irrational cult following that Avery has. Gets sent to the minors, what's he do? Goes and plays. Plays and mentors the kids to the point that he's now the captain of the team. Yet somehow, some people still would rather have the selfish, toxic prima donna who gets sent down and is so poisonous that they tell him to just stop bothering to come because he's a detriment to the team.

But clearly this is Tortorella's fault.

Grumpy Humphrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:02 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
"Really, it seems like as soon as I got there, it didn't fit right from the get-go," said Avery, who finished with 10 points (3-7) with the Stars. "Once I felt that and had that feeling of almost isolation, I subconsciously started acting in a way that would push people away and that made the situation worse.

"It was kind of a defensive tactic more than anything. Anytime you're feeling a little uncertain, like your back is to the wall, you react in a defensive way. That's how I coped."
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
So Dallas rewards him with a lucrative $15 mil contract, and instead of trying to earn the respect of his teammates and Dallas management, he deliberately makes the situation worse because he feels alienated by a few of his teammates? If any player not named Sean Avery did that to the NYR organization, and later admitted as much in an interview, that player would be universally lambasted by Ranger fans for having done so. Talk about a juvenile, immature act by a guy who doesn't have the slightest clue about how to be a professional
I'm not defending Avery but questioning your retelling on the quote you quoted. He's giving a very retrospective account of what went wrong for him in Dallas and you turn it into the deliberate sabotage of an ungrateful man-baby? Things don't always work out the way you want them to (see Val Kamensky, Theo Fleury) and when you have interpersonal issues with teammates, there isn't always a prescribed "professional" way to deal with those situations. It's especially hard to judge from so far away not even knowing what they are. It could have simply been a player who didn't like his fresh jibe. or thought he talked too much during games and he got defensive, saying "that's my game! that's how i play!" or any number of potentially "unprofessional" attacks from his Dallas teammates. His big mistake in Dallas sounds like he felt isolated, backed against the wall, and stoked the fire because no one was there to stick up for him. How do you defend yourself against your teammates? In his case, he probably got himself such a reputation (and contract) that made him entirely undesirable by 29 NHL GMs. Avery's bag is that he can only be effective playing his way and if that way doesn't really mesh with your system (in our case, dead-fast discipline and effort) then he will either play out of the system or be a non-factor. Avery was never able to find that balance of being a disciplined agitator on a consistent basis and as such, stupid penalties would gradually lead to less and less ice time for him until he was just phased out completely. I think we can just say Sean was a talented player but in the end, was too much of a head case. Sort of like many other talented players who left for Europe because they too were head-cases. Like Alexandre Daigle. can't believe he was a Ranger.

thanks Sean! your Broduer moments will always keep us warm.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:19 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sent: Mar 14, 2012 11:29a

Glen Sather on Sean Avery: "We heard he wanted to retire. We sent him his retirement paper and of course he wouldn't sign them."

sent via Twitter for BlackBerry®
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/SportsnetSpec/sta...52443654815744

Signing the papers means he forfeits his remaining salary. You can by that quote Sather is pissed at Sean.

Dont blame him at all.

Best of luck to him whatever he does after hockey.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:30 PM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
hmm was it this game???
I think the fight I remembered was in the 2007-2008 preseason

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
I think the fight I remembered was in the 2007-2008 preseason
I believe that game was in the preseason, and it also may not have been televised.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:43 PM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
I believe that game was in the preseason, and it also may not have been televised.
If it wasnt televised then it wouldnt be the game I was referring to because I watched the game. I was impressed that Drury came to Jagrs defense and so were the announcers.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:56 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I'm not defending Avery but questioning your retelling on the quote you quoted. He's giving a very retrospective account of what went wrong for him in Dallas and you turn it into the deliberate sabotage of an ungrateful man-baby? Things don't always work out the way you want them to (see Val Kamensky, Theo Fleury) and when you have interpersonal issues with teammates, there isn't always a prescribed "professional" way to deal with those situations. It's especially hard to judge from so far away not even knowing what they are. It could have simply been a player who didn't like his fresh jibe. or thought he talked too much during games and he got defensive, saying "that's my game! that's how i play!" or any number of potentially "unprofessional" attacks from his Dallas teammates. His big mistake in Dallas sounds like he felt isolated, backed against the wall, and stoked the fire because no one was there to stick up for him. How do you defend yourself against your teammates? In his case, he probably got himself such a reputation (and contract) that made him entirely undesirable by 29 NHL GMs. Avery's bag is that he can only be effective playing his way and if that way doesn't really mesh with your system (in our case, dead-fast discipline and effort) then he will either play out of the system or be a non-factor. Avery was never able to find that balance of being a disciplined agitator on a consistent basis and as such, stupid penalties would gradually lead to less and less ice time for him until he was just phased out completely. I think we can just say Sean was a talented player but in the end, was too much of a head case. Sort of like many other talented players who left for Europe because they too were head-cases. Like Alexandre Daigle. can't believe he was a Ranger.

thanks Sean! your Broduer moments will always keep us warm.

Edited my post. Not going to re-hash my disdain for Avery's character. I'll leave it at that.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Nekz
Let's Go Rangers!

Send a message via AIM to Nekz
There is one reason I will miss Sean Avery even though I don't want him back on this team: re-igniting the rivalries. I feel like the Rangers-Devils games really don't have that same kind of fight to them (aside from fan bases) and lack that true hatred on the ice between each other that all stemmed from Avery.

Similar to the Isles, who on the Rangers absolutely loathes even a single player on the Isles roster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
My favorite Avery moment, after the obvious Brodeur and Kovalchuk incidents:

(Buffalo Playoff Game)
Same, that hit was amazing.

Last edited by Nekz: 03-14-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Nekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:04 PM
fredrikstad

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekz View Post
There is one reason I will miss Sean Avery even though I don't want him back on this team: re-igniting the rivalries. I feel like the Rangers-Devils games really don't have that same kind of fight to them (aside from fan bases) and lack that true hatred on the ice between each other that all stemmed from Avery. Similar to the Isles, who on the Rangers absolutely loathes even a single player on the Isles roster?

I think the teams showed a hole lot of rivalries last night .
Miss Avery though.

tessdaddy90 ‏ @kelseytessier
RetweetedRetweet
Delete
FavoritedFavorite
· Close Open Details We got a gift from our old teammate today #classact #number16Ctwhale http://pic.twitter.com/7H433Fnn

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:23 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekz View Post
There is one reason I will miss Sean Avery even though I don't want him back on this team: re-igniting the rivalries. I feel like the Rangers-Devils games really don't have that same kind of fight to them (aside from fan bases) and lack that true hatred on the ice between each other that all stemmed from Avery.

Similar to the Isles, who on the Rangers absolutely loathes even a single player on the Isles roster?

I loathe DiPietro.. Avery was one of my favorite players. I love guys like Tikannen, Claude Lemiuex, Ulf Samuelson, and Sean Avery.

mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:14 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

What a weird picture to send to the Whale players. Nice idea, dunno about the execution.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:07 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
What a weird picture to send to the Whale players. Nice idea, dunno about the execution.
They'd know better than I would but that just seems like who he is.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:47 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Here's your boy.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
I love guys like Tikannen, Claude Lemiuex, Ulf Samuelson, and Sean Avery.
Its a great disservice to the other 3 players to put Avery in the same sentence. Those other 3 were good players, and Stanley Cup champions.

Avery did screen Brodeur in a funny way that one time though!

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote