HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Looking ahead. Playoff final standings, 1st and 2nd rounds.

Old
03-12-2012, 06:50 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Kinda like predicting the Pens to fall back to earth and become a less dangerous team than a suddenly surging Caps team?
I think there is a difference between saying that something will unequivocally happen in the future, and saying that something could happen.

Quote:
All kidding aside, at the end of the day, you play whomever is in front of you. My thoughts are this:

1.) Team has exceeded my preseason expectations to date.
You must have had some pretty low expectations for this team...

Quote:
2.) If we get more healthy AND Bryz keeps up an above average level of play (something like .925, <2.1), we can beat anyone.
Agreed

Quote:
3.) I seriously doubt we are 100% by the playoffs. JVR definitely won't be 100% even if the bone is healed. His conditioning will be rough.
JvR has been pretty much a non-factor this entire season. When he has played he has been just ok and he's only played basically half a season. The team wasn't relying on him when he has played and aren't missing him while he is out. If JvR doesn't step on the ice the rest of the season the team should be able to make up for his absence like they have all year. If he returns it will be a boost, but I don't think his being healthy is a key to this team's chances in the playoffs. I'd put that more on the defense and the Bryz.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

vCash: 500
I'm worried. Teams loaded with rookies rarely make impacts in the Playoffs. I guess we'll see how things play out. For once though, I'm not worried about having home ice advantage. The team has been better on the road anyways.

03-12-2012, 06:57 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

hoping for a good lrun, but I'm not expecting us to get past the 2nd round. Too many rookies/injuries

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 07:36 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

I care more about how we're playing going in than what seed we grab, although I'll probably be agonizing over it this time next week

Last edited by CNote: 03-12-2012 at 08:07 PM.
CNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Snipsnap12

I think we match up well against the pens to be honest...if we can get our guys back and Bryz continues we compete against anyone...

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:56 AM
Kaktus*

So some Flyers fans think that we have better chance against healthy Pens than NY Rangers?

Last edited by Kaktus*: 03-13-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:33 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
You must have had some pretty low expectations for this team...
Not particularly I'd say. We finished with 106 points last season. With as much change as we had this offseason, I expected us to be at 95 or so points. If we continue at our current pace, we finish pretty close to where we were last season. Also, I never expected us to be in the top 3 in scoring. I thought we'd be a fringe top 10 team in scoring and a middle of the league defensive team. We've been significantly better offensively and moderately worse in the GAA department.

Quote:
JvR has been pretty much a non-factor this entire season. When he has played he has been just ok and he's only played basically half a season. The team wasn't relying on him when he has played and aren't missing him while he is out. If JvR doesn't step on the ice the rest of the season the team should be able to make up for his absence like they have all year. If he returns it will be a boost, but I don't think his being healthy is a key to this team's chances in the playoffs. I'd put that more on the defense and the Bryz.
The difference between the Flyers and a 1st round exit last season was JVR. Sure, someone else could go JVR in the playoffs, but being without the guy who strapped you on his back the previous year almost certainly makes us less dangerous. Yes, JVR has struggled this year, but every single time he's started to show that fire from the last season's playoff run, he's gotten hurt.

Furthermore, I want absolutely no part of Zac Rinaldo in a playoff series. The kid just doesn't have his head screwed on right and may never develop into an effective player that utilizes controlled aggression. A somewhat healthy JVR puts us one step closer to leaving Rinaldo out of the line-up.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Lesky
Le Magnifique #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Thank you. All this tank for 6th is ********. You go right after the no. 1. Man up and do it. Over the past 2 seasons the Pens depth has dried up in the playoffs like nobodies business.
Maybe had something to do with playing without Malkin and Crosby last year in the playoffs?

Lesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:36 PM
rban*

We have to tank. I do NOT want to face a Crosby'd up and Letang'd Pens in the very first round.

Even if we do get past them, we'll be exhausted and easy prey in 2nd round.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:26 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
We have to tank. I do NOT want to face a Crosby'd up and Letang'd Pens in the very first round.

Even if we do get past them, we'll be exhausted and easy prey in 2nd round.
Or you could look at it as if we face and beat the pens in the first round our young team will gain a tremendous amount of confidence and carry that forward for a run....

Old
03-14-2012, 09:29 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Not particularly I'd say. We finished with 106 points last season. With as much change as we had this offseason, I expected us to be at 95 or so points. If we continue at our current pace, we finish pretty close to where we were last season. Also, I never expected us to be in the top 3 in scoring. I thought we'd be a fringe top 10 team in scoring and a middle of the league defensive team. We've been significantly better offensively and moderately worse in the GAA department.
Fair enough.

Quote:
The difference between the Flyers and a 1st round exit last season was JVR. Sure, someone else could go JVR in the playoffs, but being without the guy who strapped you on his back the previous year almost certainly makes us less dangerous. Yes, JVR has struggled this year, but every single time he's started to show that fire from the last season's playoff run, he's gotten hurt.
Eh, I don't know about that. JvR played great in the Boston series and was a standout in the Buffalo series, but I don't know if I'd say he strapped the team on his back in the first round (4 points in 7 games). Even if he did, that was last year. This year has not been that effective. Whether that is because of injuries or not is irrelevant. I'm not ragging on JvR, I'm just saying the team can clearly win without him. It would be a plus if he was playing for sure, but I don't think if he doesn't play the team is in any kind of trouble.

Quote:
Furthermore, I want absolutely no part of Zac Rinaldo in a playoff series. The kid just doesn't have his head screwed on right and may never develop into an effective player that utilizes controlled aggression. A somewhat healthy JVR puts us one step closer to leaving Rinaldo out of the line-up.
??? Rinaldo has been playing his role pretty damned well from what I have seen. I imagine with a full healthy roster Rinaldo still plays in the playoffs.

Scott Hartnell-Claude Giroux-Jaromir Jagr
JVR-Brayden Schenn-Wayne Simmonds
Matt Read-Danny Briere-Jakub Voracek
Max Talbot-Sean Couturier-Zac Rinaldo

Something to that effect.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Fair enough.

Eh, I don't know about that. JvR played great in the Boston series and was a standout in the Buffalo series, but I don't know if I'd say he strapped the team on his back in the first round (4 points in 7 games). Even if he did, that was last year. This year has not been that effective. Whether that is because of injuries or not is irrelevant. I'm not ragging on JvR, I'm just saying the team can clearly win without him. It would be a plus if he was playing for sure, but I don't think if he doesn't play the team is in any kind of trouble.

??? Rinaldo has been playing his role pretty damned well from what I have seen. I imagine with a full healthy roster Rinaldo still plays in the playoffs.

Scott Hartnell-Claude Giroux-Jaromir Jagr
Matt Read-Danny Briere-Jakub Voracek
Max Talbot-Sean Couturier-Zac Rinaldo

Something to that effect.

I would think that depending on the series (opponent style) lavy might interchange Rinaldo and wellwood. We have that attitude/toughness element with Rinaldo but wellwood is a more versatile player...and has been contributing quite well.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:48 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 555
With hot Bryz and the current team defense, we can beat any team in the conference. It just needs to stay that way, especially after any difficult losses. The team/goalie can't self-destruct.

Also, I don't know why we're destined for the 6th spot. We're on fire. Only the Pens are hotter and we're keeping pace with them as we race to catch the smoldering ruins of the Rangers. The only teams that concern me are other Atlantic teams. We can roll anyone else right now.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:51 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
With hot Bryz and the current team defense, we can beat any team in the conference. It just needs to stay that way, especially after any difficult losses. The team/goalie can't self-destruct.

Also, I don't know why we're destined for the 6th spot. We're on fire. Only the Pens are hotter and we're keeping pace with them as we race to catch the smoldering ruins of the Rangers. The only teams that concern me are other Atlantic teams. We can roll anyone else right now.
I would imagine a team from the Atlantic will represent the east...if we play the pens or rangers it will likely be long series...no doubt in my mind the flyers could win though..especially with our impressive ability to win on the road, and all three phases coming together and working as one

Old
03-14-2012, 10:35 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
I would think that depending on the series (opponent style) lavy might interchange Rinaldo and wellwood. We have that attitude/toughness element with Rinaldo but wellwood is a more versatile player...and has been contributing quite well.
Yea I could see Wellwood getting thrown in there or even Sestito if he comes back by then. All three of those guys would be perfect fourth line minimum minutes type players in the playoffs. Rinaldo has been a great sandpaper guy and is just all over the place. Sestito has been solid when in the lineup and has that muscle to throw around should the need arise. Wellwood is the most complete player out of the three but I could see Lavy putting Rinaldo or Sestito in there to be that Dan Carcillo spark plug type guy.

Old
03-14-2012, 10:57 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Yea I could see Wellwood getting thrown in there or even Sestito if he comes back by then. All three of those guys would be perfect fourth line minimum minutes type players in the playoffs. Rinaldo has been a great sandpaper guy and is just all over the place. Sestito has been solid when in the lineup and has that muscle to throw around should the need arise. Wellwood is the most complete player out of the three but I could see Lavy putting Rinaldo or Sestito in there to be that Dan Carcillo spark plug type guy.
I don't see Sestito seeing any more ice than the cubes in his drink during the playoffs, unless the Flyers start running into injury problems. And Rinaldo, I think, will be on a short leash.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:09 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
I guess I'll just be the Debby Downer and say that it doesn't matter who we play. If we go in hot, Bryz keeps this up, d heals for the most part and offense clicks, I couldn't care less who we play. We can beat in anyone in a 7 game series if heads are on straight. Not worried at all = this guy.
yea. this is why the NHL playoffs are the bomb. its not like the NBA or the NFL were things are more locked in. Bryzgalov alone could do some major damage this year but imagine if Jagr, Giroux, Briere and Hartnell all kick it up a level and Kimmo comes back rested and ready to rock? I'm comfortable with him as our number 1 guy like he was in 2008 with the depth we have now and the goalie? There's definitely some flukey crazy hope going on here. It's better to not be expected to win. And you know they always give us something. That Buffalo 7 gamer last year was awesome so either way you know we'll get something good.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Damaged Goods

Count me among the people who think it's more likely we play the Rangers than the Penguins in the 1st round.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 08:59 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Count me among the people who think it's more likely we play the Rangers than the Penguins in the 1st round.
So be it...the law of averages will prevail....it's now our turn to have their number.....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:54 PM
Kaktus*

deleted

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:49 AM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
Or you could look at it as if we face and beat the pens in the first round our young team will gain a tremendous amount of confidence and carry that forward for a run....
Right. You want the Stanley Cup, you have to beat them. I am glad Crosby's back. If a team is better than you, then you are not going to win the Stanley Cup. So you have to play them. And beat them.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 09:24 AM
xifentoozlerix

I would rather face the toughest matchup in the first round than in the fourth round....

xifentoozlerix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 09:29 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Honestly, I just wanna win one round to give the rookie some playoff experience.
I don't see a team this inexperienced winning the Cup.

That being said, it would be funny if they could somehow grab the #1 seed. It's all about Rangers vs. Penguins right now, and people are even already discussing a possible Penguins/Capitals match-up in the 1st round.
Seems like most guys have the Flyers penciled down for the 5th spot.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:51 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I don't see Sestito seeing any more ice than the cubes in his drink during the playoffs, unless the Flyers start running into injury problems. And Rinaldo, I think, will be on a short leash.
In a series against the Pens - Bettman will tell the refs that Zac Rinaldo can actually be given 2 minutes for checking. If he checks Crosby it's 5, 10 and a misconduct. If he misses Crosby - 2 for trying.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 09:03 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

Quote:
Originally Posted by xifentoozlerix View Post
I would rather face the toughest matchup in the first round than in the fourth round....
I have no problem playing the Blues in the final.

CNote is offline   Reply With Quote