HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Evgeny Kuznetsov

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Millhaus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Irrelevant.
You don't let a kid that skilled slip through your fingers. Period.
I'm confused. What was McPhee supposed to do? IMO this has more to do with the uncertainty over the CBA than anything else. If staying in Russia long term was his plan this wouldn't have been just a 1 year deal. Disappointing yes but under the circumstances I can see him staying for another year and likely 2 if he doesn't want to risk having a tough rookie NHL season and jeopardizing his Olympics spot.

Old
03-14-2012, 08:49 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I'm in a wait-and-see mode right now. If he's not here come training camp, then I'll worry.

There's no excuse for GMGM, Ted, and Ovie not to put on the full court press over the summer.

Last edited by NobodyBeatsTheWiz: 03-14-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old
03-14-2012, 08:50 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
It's not about competition alone. the only way for russian players to learn both styles is to stay in Russia until they are say 23-24 an then go to NA and learn NA hockey.
This makes no sense. The younger they are, the easier they learn and adapt. Kuz will remain the relatively one-dimensional player that he is if he stays to long in the KHL. My cousin plays in Russia and is very successful, but he'd be the first to tell you the NA game is much harder to play and that the best players play in NA.

He's good, but he's not one of the best. As a young man, he learned to play here and won a Cup in NJ. But mostly he has spent a lot of time in the AHL when in NA. So for him, the money and competition is better there.

For top players, though, if you want to play with the best, you still must play in the NHL. If Kuz doesn't prioritize that, fine. It's hard to argue with the money and fame he has in the K. but maybe he doesn't have the drive to be a world's best player. So maybe we don't need another less-than-fully-motivated guy on our team anyway.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:12 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
This makes no sense. The younger they are, the easier they learn and adapt. Kuz will remain the relatively one-dimensional player that he is if he stays to long in the KHL. My cousin plays in Russia and is very successful, but he'd be the first to tell you the NA game is much harder to play and that the best players play in NA.

He's good, but he's not one of the best. As a young man, he learned to play here and won a Cup in NJ. But mostly he has spent a lot of time in the AHL when in NA. So for him, the money and competition is better there.

For top players, though, if you want to play with the best, you still must play in the NHL. If Kuz doesn't prioritize that, fine. It's hard to argue with the money and fame he has in the K. but maybe he doesn't have the drive to be a world's best player. So maybe we don't need another less-than-fully-motivated guy on our team anyway.
We'll know who your cousin is in half an hour.

EDIT: I don't know, Ray Giroux? It's my early guess, lots of years in Russia, seems decent, a few AHL seasons, but he only played 11 games in Jersey's cup season, so since I don't remember the eligibility rule (and if it's games played or on roster), I'm not sure.

Last edited by HTFN: 03-14-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old
03-14-2012, 09:14 PM
artilector

ouch

Maybe this was out of their hands, but i have a feeling that the Caps did not do everything in their power to convince him.

Well, I guess we have to take heart in Emelin eventually coming over.. and perhaps Kuz will get bored over there.

Last edited by artilector: 03-14-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old
03-14-2012, 09:27 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Can someone translate the article? All Google gives me is that Kuznetsov intends to pursue a career in the NHL, and Smiths declined a 1 year, $2.5M deal with a tractor.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:37 PM
artilector

translation:

Traktor's forward EK has declared that he's planning to continue his career in the KHL. To remind the readers, the 19-yr old forward was chosen ... Earlier sports.ru reported that Kuznetsov drew interest from Salavat Yulaev.

"Frankly, the decision has come to fruition [hard to translate, he says literally 'ripened', like a fruit that is now ripe], I intend to continue my career in the KHL. At the same time there's no certainty regarding the club [that I'll be playing for]" -- Kuznetsov is quoted by Sport-express.

Earlier it was reported that EK refused Traktor 1 year $2.5m offer.

/translation

the sport-express article says the same thing, apparently Kuz told a sport-express reporter about his decision during a show that's about to air today. It also speculates that Hunter as a tough-guy coach and Caps' struggles this year may have affected Kuz's decision. Though it also depicts Ovechkin and Semin as having trouble under Hunter, which is bs.

http://news.sport-express.ru/2012-03-15/499635/

Last edited by artilector: 03-14-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old
03-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Sport-Express, the Russian national daily newspaper, which broke the news today (the show will air tomorrow, but it is hosted by a Sport-Express writer), speculates that the Caps’ struggles this year, Dale Hunter’s defensive approach and Alex Ovechkin’s decline in productivity are also among the reasons.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...C4CS_blog.html

Old
03-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Fitlanbox

edit: beaten

Old
03-14-2012, 09:41 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
We'll know who your cousin is in half an hour.

EDIT: I don't know, Ray Giroux? It's my early guess, lots of years in Russia, seems decent, a few AHL seasons, but he only played 11 games in Jersey's cup season, so since I don't remember the eligibility rule (and if it's games played or on roster), I'm not sure.
Nope. good guess, tho.

EDIT: FWIW, I'd appreciate you not posting if you do figure it out.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:46 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
translation:

Traktor's forward EK has declared that he's planning to continue his career in the KHL. To remind the readers, the 19-yr old forward was chosen ... Earlier sports.ru reported that Kuznetsov drew interest from Salavat Yulaev.

"Frankly, the decision has come to fruition [hard to translate, he says literally 'ripened', like a fruit that is now ripe], I intend to continue my career in the KHL. At the same time there's no certainty regarding the club [that I'll be playing for]" -- Kuznetsov is quoted by Sport-express.

Earlier it was reported that EK refused Traktor 1 year $2.5m offer.

/translation

the sport-express article says the same thing, apparently Kuz told a sport-express reporter about his decision during a show that's about to air today. It also speculates that Hunter as a tough-guy coach and Caps' struggles this year may have affected Kuz's decision. Though it also depicts Ovechkin and Semin as having trouble under Hunter, which is bs.

http://news.sport-express.ru/2012-03-15/499635/
Fine. Stay there and win... what's the KHL championship called?

Old
03-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Brian23

What happens if we get a new GM and an offensive oriented Coach (someone with a pedigree), what do you think the chances are he back pedals and comes over for a looksie?

So bummed.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:48 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post

Deleted.

Last edited by NobodyBeatsTheWiz: 03-14-2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Just saw your request above.
Old
03-14-2012, 09:50 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Trade him!

Old
03-14-2012, 09:51 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Wiz, Another good guess but no.

But in any case, I won't confirm or deny.

My main point was guys who play there, whether NA or Euro born know it's not the same. They stay because they aren't going to be a top player in NA and so can make more money and be more of a top player in Russia. But they have no illusions that they are competing with the best.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:51 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I feel for you guys, it took five years for Emelin to come over. Hopefully it won't be that long for Kuznetsov, he's such a big talent, it would be such a shame if he stayed in the KHL his entire career simply for the money. It's not like making 900k was nothing..
I must be the only Caps fan not mad over this. Good for him. He gets to stay home, provide for his family, and keeps the wife happy. He's super talented and such, but that is life.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:52 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Deleted.
'preciate it.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:53 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Trade him!
Any trade value he had is gone.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:53 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
I must be the only Caps fan not mad over this. Good for him. He gets to stay home, provide for his family, and keeps the wife happy. He's super talented and such, but that is life.
I'm with you. It's fine. I don't begrudge him one bit. I only want him playing for the Caps if he's 100% all in to hoist Lord Stanley.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Langway
Intangibles

AOsadchenko: At the WJC Kuznetsov in a private conversation w\ @ElenaRusko and me confessed that his decision about NHL/KHL is strongly influenced #Putin

Must be fun being a pawn.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Capitlols

To reiterate, the inherent risk of drafting Russians.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:59 PM
LetsGoBears

I'd be interested if anything changes if CBA is approved quickly? Caps getting to ECF or more sounds like it doesn't hurt either.

Old
03-14-2012, 10:05 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
To reiterate, the inherent risk of drafting Russians.
For real. The only reason he was available in the first place at 26 was because of exactly what just happened.

In its essence, if I may class up this joint, I'm reminded of Macbeth.

Quote:
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Now let's get down to brass tacks and re-sign Semin to make up for this setback

Old
03-14-2012, 10:10 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
That really sucks but I understand his position. He couldn't even buy a beer if he were to come here.

I am bummed to hear he is blaming Dale though. George needs to start taking the blame on things like this happening. I think he assumed the Russians would want to come over to be with Ovi even for less money, Ovi making his job easier. Ovi's game tumbled back to earth before Dale got here. And George hired Dale. And I still contend George has a say in our systems since Dale was not a trapper.

Old
03-14-2012, 10:16 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

By all accounts from those in London, Dale was a trapper.

Closed Thread