HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Evgeny Kuznetsov

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-14-2012, 08:39 PM
  #326
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Irrelevant.
You don't let a kid that skilled slip through your fingers. Period.
I'm confused. What was McPhee supposed to do? IMO this has more to do with the uncertainty over the CBA than anything else. If staying in Russia long term was his plan this wouldn't have been just a 1 year deal. Disappointing yes but under the circumstances I can see him staying for another year and likely 2 if he doesn't want to risk having a tough rookie NHL season and jeopardizing his Olympics spot.

Millhaus is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 08:49 PM
  #327
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,769
vCash: 500
I'm in a wait-and-see mode right now. If he's not here come training camp, then I'll worry.

There's no excuse for GMGM, Ted, and Ovie not to put on the full court press over the summer.


Last edited by NobodyBeatsTheWiz: 03-14-2012 at 09:25 PM.
NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 08:50 PM
  #328
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter
 
californiacapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
It's not about competition alone. the only way for russian players to learn both styles is to stay in Russia until they are say 23-24 an then go to NA and learn NA hockey.
This makes no sense. The younger they are, the easier they learn and adapt. Kuz will remain the relatively one-dimensional player that he is if he stays to long in the KHL. My cousin plays in Russia and is very successful, but he'd be the first to tell you the NA game is much harder to play and that the best players play in NA.

He's good, but he's not one of the best. As a young man, he learned to play here and won a Cup in NJ. But mostly he has spent a lot of time in the AHL when in NA. So for him, the money and competition is better there.

For top players, though, if you want to play with the best, you still must play in the NHL. If Kuz doesn't prioritize that, fine. It's hard to argue with the money and fame he has in the K. but maybe he doesn't have the drive to be a world's best player. So maybe we don't need another less-than-fully-motivated guy on our team anyway.

californiacapsfan is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 09:12 PM
  #329
HTFN
Registered User
 
HTFN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
This makes no sense. The younger they are, the easier they learn and adapt. Kuz will remain the relatively one-dimensional player that he is if he stays to long in the KHL. My cousin plays in Russia and is very successful, but he'd be the first to tell you the NA game is much harder to play and that the best players play in NA.

He's good, but he's not one of the best. As a young man, he learned to play here and won a Cup in NJ. But mostly he has spent a lot of time in the AHL when in NA. So for him, the money and competition is better there.

For top players, though, if you want to play with the best, you still must play in the NHL. If Kuz doesn't prioritize that, fine. It's hard to argue with the money and fame he has in the K. but maybe he doesn't have the drive to be a world's best player. So maybe we don't need another less-than-fully-motivated guy on our team anyway.
We'll know who your cousin is in half an hour.

EDIT: I don't know, Ray Giroux? It's my early guess, lots of years in Russia, seems decent, a few AHL seasons, but he only played 11 games in Jersey's cup season, so since I don't remember the eligibility rule (and if it's games played or on roster), I'm not sure.


Last edited by HTFN: 03-14-2012 at 09:20 PM.
HTFN is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 09:14 PM
  #330
artilector
Registered User
 
artilector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,628
vCash: 500
ouch

Maybe this was out of their hands, but i have a feeling that the Caps did not do everything in their power to convince him.

Well, I guess we have to take heart in Emelin eventually coming over.. and perhaps Kuz will get bored over there.


Last edited by artilector: 03-14-2012 at 09:26 PM.
artilector is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 09:27 PM
  #331
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,769
vCash: 500
Can someone translate the article? All Google gives me is that Kuznetsov intends to pursue a career in the NHL, and Smiths declined a 1 year, $2.5M deal with a tractor.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 09:37 PM
  #332
artilector
Registered User
 
artilector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,628
vCash: 500
translation:

Traktor's forward EK has declared that he's planning to continue his career in the KHL. To remind the readers, the 19-yr old forward was chosen ... Earlier sports.ru reported that Kuznetsov drew interest from Salavat Yulaev.

"Frankly, the decision has come to fruition [hard to translate, he says literally 'ripened', like a fruit that is now ripe], I intend to continue my career in the KHL. At the same time there's no certainty regarding the club [that I'll be playing for]" -- Kuznetsov is quoted by Sport-express.

Earlier it was reported that EK refused Traktor 1 year $2.5m offer.

/translation

the sport-express article says the same thing, apparently Kuz told a sport-express reporter about his decision during a show that's about to air today. It also speculates that Hunter as a tough-guy coach and Caps' struggles this year may have affected Kuz's decision. Though it also depicts Ovechkin and Semin as having trouble under Hunter, which is bs.

http://news.sport-express.ru/2012-03-15/499635/


Last edited by artilector: 03-14-2012 at 09:42 PM.
artilector is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 09:38 PM
  #333
Capitlols
Registered User
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Sport-Express, the Russian national daily newspaper, which broke the news today (the show will air tomorrow, but it is hosted by a Sport-Express writer), speculates that the Caps’ struggles this year, Dale Hunter’s defensive approach and Alex Ovechkin’s decline in productivity are also among the reasons.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...C4CS_blog.html

Capitlols is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 09:39 PM
  #334
Fitlanbox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 155
vCash: 500
edit: beaten

Fitlanbox is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 09:41 PM
  #335
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter
 
californiacapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
We'll know who your cousin is in half an hour.

EDIT: I don't know, Ray Giroux? It's my early guess, lots of years in Russia, seems decent, a few AHL seasons, but he only played 11 games in Jersey's cup season, so since I don't remember the eligibility rule (and if it's games played or on roster), I'm not sure.
Nope. good guess, tho.

EDIT: FWIW, I'd appreciate you not posting if you do figure it out.

californiacapsfan is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 09:46 PM
  #336
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter
 
californiacapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
translation:

Traktor's forward EK has declared that he's planning to continue his career in the KHL. To remind the readers, the 19-yr old forward was chosen ... Earlier sports.ru reported that Kuznetsov drew interest from Salavat Yulaev.

"Frankly, the decision has come to fruition [hard to translate, he says literally 'ripened', like a fruit that is now ripe], I intend to continue my career in the KHL. At the same time there's no certainty regarding the club [that I'll be playing for]" -- Kuznetsov is quoted by Sport-express.

Earlier it was reported that EK refused Traktor 1 year $2.5m offer.

/translation

the sport-express article says the same thing, apparently Kuz told a sport-express reporter about his decision during a show that's about to air today. It also speculates that Hunter as a tough-guy coach and Caps' struggles this year may have affected Kuz's decision. Though it also depicts Ovechkin and Semin as having trouble under Hunter, which is bs.

http://news.sport-express.ru/2012-03-15/499635/
Fine. Stay there and win... what's the KHL championship called?

californiacapsfan is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 09:47 PM
  #337
Brian23
Registered User
 
Brian23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,887
vCash: 500
What happens if we get a new GM and an offensive oriented Coach (someone with a pedigree), what do you think the chances are he back pedals and comes over for a looksie?

So bummed.

Brian23 is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 09:48 PM
  #338
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
This makes no sense. The younger they are, the easier they learn and adapt. Kuz will remain the relatively one-dimensional player that he is if he stays to long in the KHL. My cousin plays in Russia and is very successful, but he'd be the first to tell you the NA game is much harder to play and that the best players play in NA.

He's good, but he's not one of the best. As a young man, he learned to play here and won a Cup in NJ. But mostly he has spent a lot of time in the AHL when in NA. So for him, the money and competition is better there.

For top players, though, if you want to play with the best, you still must play in the NHL. If Kuz doesn't prioritize that, fine. It's hard to argue with the money and fame he has in the K. but maybe he doesn't have the drive to be a world's best player. So maybe we don't need another less-than-fully-motivated guy on our team anyway.
Deleted.


Last edited by NobodyBeatsTheWiz: 03-14-2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Just saw your request above.
NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 09:50 PM
  #339
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29,038
vCash: 500
Trade him!

strungout is online now  
Old
03-14-2012, 09:51 PM
  #340
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter
 
californiacapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,768
vCash: 500
Wiz, Another good guess but no.

But in any case, I won't confirm or deny.

My main point was guys who play there, whether NA or Euro born know it's not the same. They stay because they aren't going to be a top player in NA and so can make more money and be more of a top player in Russia. But they have no illusions that they are competing with the best.

californiacapsfan is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 09:51 PM
  #341
IafrateOvie34
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I feel for you guys, it took five years for Emelin to come over. Hopefully it won't be that long for Kuznetsov, he's such a big talent, it would be such a shame if he stayed in the KHL his entire career simply for the money. It's not like making 900k was nothing..
I must be the only Caps fan not mad over this. Good for him. He gets to stay home, provide for his family, and keeps the wife happy. He's super talented and such, but that is life.

IafrateOvie34 is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 09:52 PM
  #342
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter
 
californiacapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Deleted.
'preciate it.

californiacapsfan is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 09:53 PM
  #343
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Trade him!
Any trade value he had is gone.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 09:53 PM
  #344
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter
 
californiacapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
I must be the only Caps fan not mad over this. Good for him. He gets to stay home, provide for his family, and keeps the wife happy. He's super talented and such, but that is life.
I'm with you. It's fine. I don't begrudge him one bit. I only want him playing for the Caps if he's 100% all in to hoist Lord Stanley.

californiacapsfan is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 09:54 PM
  #345
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,696
vCash: 500
AOsadchenko: At the WJC Kuznetsov in a private conversation w\ @ElenaRusko and me confessed that his decision about NHL/KHL is strongly influenced #Putin

Must be fun being a pawn.

Langway is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 09:56 PM
  #346
Capitlols
Registered User
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,371
vCash: 500
To reiterate, the inherent risk of drafting Russians.

Capitlols is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 09:59 PM
  #347
LetsGoBears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,304
vCash: 500
I'd be interested if anything changes if CBA is approved quickly? Caps getting to ECF or more sounds like it doesn't hurt either.

LetsGoBears is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 10:05 PM
  #348
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
To reiterate, the inherent risk of drafting Russians.
For real. The only reason he was available in the first place at 26 was because of exactly what just happened.

In its essence, if I may class up this joint, I'm reminded of Macbeth.

Quote:
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Now let's get down to brass tacks and re-sign Semin to make up for this setback

BrooklynCapsFan is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 10:10 PM
  #349
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,377
vCash: 50
That really sucks but I understand his position. He couldn't even buy a beer if he were to come here.

I am bummed to hear he is blaming Dale though. George needs to start taking the blame on things like this happening. I think he assumed the Russians would want to come over to be with Ovi even for less money, Ovi making his job easier. Ovi's game tumbled back to earth before Dale got here. And George hired Dale. And I still contend George has a say in our systems since Dale was not a trapper.

RandyHolt is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 10:16 PM
  #350
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,769
vCash: 500
By all accounts from those in London, Dale was a trapper.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.