Old
03-14-2012, 05:26 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Team ϶(o)ϵ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EkiE View Post
2 years 4-5m per(8-10m total) or let him walk. Injury prone (also talented) goaltender that has bad work ethics is not worth long commitment. You have Bachman/Cambell who will be better in 2 years.
Who are you?

I love how this is your first post on the Stars board and you think you know everything about Lehtonen.

Not a thing in this post is correct.

He's over his injuries.

His work ethic is unreal. Many of the coaching staff have said he's one of the hardest working players they've ever met.

Bachman will almost certainly never get to Lehtonen's level. Campbell is probably more than 2 years off.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:41 PM
EkiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Who are you?

I love how this is your first post on the Stars board and you think you know everything about Lehtonen.

Not a thing in this post is correct.

He's over his injuries.

His work ethic is unreal. Many of the coaching staff have said he's one of the hardest working players they've ever met.

Bachman will almost certainly never get to Lehtonen's level. Campbell is probably more than 2 years off.
hahah Im just Minnesota Wild fan passing by, I wouldn't comment any of your threads if I didn't feel like I have no way to contribute.

Kari has been Dallas star for almost two seasons and last year he had .914%/2.70gaa
and this season .925/2.21gaa those numbers are not something you want to commit on very long term.

I said in my first post 4-5m for 2 seasons, but it can also be 4-6mil if it's only for 2 seasons. If you lock him longer than that you might find yourself having another Huet in your hands and I believe that's something internal cap team doesn't want to have.

Short term contract with market price is something I feel Stars should go after. They have good backup+prospect that can take over in after 2years.

peace

EkiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:44 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Team ϶(o)ϵ

Quote:
hahah Im just Minnesota Wild fan passing by, I wouldn't comment any of your threads if I didn't feel like I have no way to contribute.

Kari has been Dallas star for almost two seasons and last year he had .914%/2.70gaa
and this season .925/2.21gaa those numbers are not something you want to commit on very long term.

I said in my first post 4-5m for 2 seasons, but it can also be 4-6mil if it's only for 2 seasons. If you lock him longer than that you might find yourself having another Huet in your hands and I believe that's something internal cap team doesn't want to have.

Short term contract with market price is something I feel Stars should go after. They have good backup+prospect that can take over in after 2years.

peace
Have you ever seen him play?

His stats don't do him justice.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:50 PM
EkiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Have you ever seen him play?

His stats don't do him justice.
Last year i was able to watch him more, this season only 6+ times.

And I know he is good goaltender, but I also feel like G-position is easiest one to fill so that's why I wouldn't hand over big money to a guy that benefits from team infront of him.

Old
03-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

It's a guy who doesn't love Kari! GET HIM!!111!!

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:50 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
I wouldn't comment any of your threads if I didn't feel like I have no way to contribute.
Hit the nail on the head here.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 06:08 PM
EkiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Hit the nail on the head here.
trololololo

Still, if you feel insulted that I proposed 2 year contract with reasonable cost. Let me counter my proposal: 40mil/6 years. Fans are happy and management will curse this deal after 3-4 years. WIN-WIN

Last edited by EkiE: 03-16-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old
03-18-2012, 02:56 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
trololololo

Still, if you feel insulted that I proposed 2 year contract with reasonable cost. Let me counter my proposal: 40mil/6 years. Fans are happy and management will curse this deal after 3-4 years. WIN-WIN
Read your post again. My response was a jab at your mis-use of the English language.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:41 AM
JonathanTwinkleToews
is a Canuck fan.

Quote:
Last year i was able to watch him more, this season only 6+ times.

And I know he is good goaltender, but I also feel like G-position is easiest one to fill so that's why I wouldn't hand over big money to a guy that benefits from team infront of him.
Spoken like someone who has no clue about the importance and difficulty of the position.

The fact that Vancouver has been a perennial powerhouse and Cup contender since Luongo joined the Canucks is not a mere coincidence.

See:
Lundqvist - Rangers
Rinne - Predators
Quick - Kings (and their pathetic offense)

Likewise, these bottom tier teams:
Mason - Blue Jackets
Roloson/Garon - Lightning
Reimer/Gustavsson - Leafs

Of course, the position isn't the be-all-end-all for success in the sport, but it is very damn well important, and *by far* the hardest position to fill.

Dallas has an elite, top 5 goaltender in Lehtonen. He's only 28, and easily has 7-8 years of elite hockey left in him. Lock him up long term.

JonathanTwinkleToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:35 AM
BigG44

Rather than starting a new thread, this seams appropriate for this thread.

I know fans are split on the importance of a star goaltender for success in the playoffs and regular season. I think you can come up with just as many examples of system goalies playing well behind a talented and consistent system as you can find hot goalies who carry a team.

Personally, I still prefer the talented goalie that steals games and elevates the team over a sound system where goalies are just interchangeable. I think ideally, a great goalie in a good system can be lethal. That said, I wouldn't be disappointed even a little to go into a season with two good goalies rather than 1 great goalie. I do really feel teams can win both ways.

I bring this up because of a recent interview with Ray Whitney on a Canadian radio show. He's clearly in favor of a great goalie, and Lehtonen was one of the big reasons he felt comfortable coming to Dallas.

Quote:
"I think what people have to understand is that every team has pieces and every team has an opportunity starting from zero to get in and have success. They [Dallas] have a good goaltender, which is something you need in this league now. Probably more than anything."

Ray Whitney has been around a long, long time, and knows that success is built from the net out in this league.

"You need a goaltender - it's funny, you say Jamie Benn and Eriksson and we all love that, but the Phoenix Coyotes last year didn't get to where they were going without Mike Smith. The Nashville Predators - Pekka Rinne was a huge part of that. As Lundqvist (with the Rangers). So all the teams that get anywhere and have any success, it usually starts with the goaltender out and I think Kari lehtonen is one of the best in the league right now, and there are some talented people up front."

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:13 PM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post

Personally, I still prefer the talented goalie that steals games and elevates the team over a sound system where goalies are just interchangeable. I think ideally, a great goalie in a good system can be lethal. That said, I wouldn't be disappointed even a little to go into a season with two good goalies rather than 1 great goalie. I do really feel teams can win both ways.
I feel the same way. Especially for Dallas who doesn't have a defensive group capable of supporting an average goalie. It will also be easier for guys like Oleksiak, Nemeth, and Dillon to transition to the NHL with a talented goalie there to clean up the mistakes that every young defenseman makes.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 07:05 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

If you subscribe to the "average cheap goalie" model, you absolutely have to have a #1 D-man... and utilize the money you save on goaltending by oerwhelming the other team with offensive depth. Look at the teams who won with average goaltending.. Chicago was loaded and had Seabrook and Keith in beastmode form, while Detroit had Lidstrom and tons of scoring depth.

"Go cheap and average on goaltending" doesn't work for teams struggling to make the playoffs. It's a cup contender approach, not playoff contender.

Thus why I believe we should man up and pay Kari what he deserves, and worry about Campbell if that time even comes. There's zero sense in dropping a top 10 goalie on his prime just because Campbell MIGHT be ready in 3 years.

MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 10:42 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
$6m+ is a little steep but Kari is probably worth something in the $5m-6m range.
Everyone has to be nice to ScubaSteve for one month now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand New Stars View Post
Huge difference between taking a small discount vs taking an insanely stupid offer that can't be refused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Brzy signed for exactly what he asked for. It's the reason Phoenix traded him. He wasn't going to cave and no discount was offered

Plus, when is the last time a Dallas player took a discount? Ott, Daley, and Robidas all signed market contracts. We all said they give Dallas a discount too. The mythical home town discount is pretty rare.
I was wrong. IMO, based on the contracts I came up with on the first page, it's very clear Lehts took a discount to stay with Dallas.

EDIT: Here are the contracts BTW.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote