HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Rule Changes

Old
03-12-2012, 09:14 PM
MU Jacktets*

vCash: 500
Rule Changes

the NHL is one of the best leagues at adapting to new problems and situations. Which rules or regulations do you want to see changed?

Softer pads would reduce concussions. Defensive zone hand passes need to be reconsidered. Hybrid icing is a no-go IMO

MU Jacktets* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:19 PM
DaveCBJ
Boom. Outta here.

I'd like to see them get rid of the shootout and the loser point. Extend the period to 10 minutes (wouldn't it be great to see the third and fourth liners get more ice time to decide games ala the playoffs) and go 4 vs. 4. I would like to see them go to international rules for icing. Half the time the refs get offensive touches wrong anyway.

DaveCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:21 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Helmets required in pre-game skate
No touch icing
Mouthpieces are mandatory
Plastic and other hard surfaces disallowed for elbow pads
Eliminate the trapezoid, but make goalies fair game when behind the goal line
and
ALL games are worth 3 points (3=regulaton win, 2= OT/SO win, 1= OT/SO loss)

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:27 PM
MU Jacktets*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBusChill View Post
I'd like to see them get rid of the shootout and the loser point. Extend the period to 10 minutes (wouldn't it be great to see the third and fourth liners get more ice time to decide games ala the playoffs) and go 4 vs. 4. I would like to see them go to international rules for icing. Half the time the refs get offensive touches wrong anyway.
As much as I don't like the shootouts, they are really important for the casual hockey fans.

The past couple seasons college hockey has experimented during exhibitions with icing on the PK. It makes for some really interesting power plays!

MU Jacktets* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:38 PM
FunKingJackets
I still Believe

To reduce concussion giant Nerf helmets so the players look like bobble heads when playing. I don't know if it would be good for the game but it would be pretty funny to watch for a game or two.

FunKingJackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:42 PM
DaveCBJ
Boom. Outta here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MU Jacktets View Post
As much as I don't like the shootouts, they are really important for the casual hockey fans.

The past couple seasons college hockey has experimented during exhibitions with icing on the PK. It makes for some really interesting power plays!
I used to hate walking out of Civic Arena with a tie, for sure, but I just can't get behind the shootout. I get the "someone must win" perspective. The only thing worse than the shootout in hockey are the penalty kicks in soccer. I also sat in a few 3 OT games in the playoffs: Always worth it.

DaveCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

I'm putting together some information on the increase in blocked shots over time; this goes with rumblings that the NCAA is considering a ban on leaving the skates to block shots. Basically, it would mean that a standing block is still good, and a stick block is still good, but the slide or the kneeling pad stop is out. Here's the article that made me think a bit harder about it.

http://www.uscho.com/2012/03/09/comm...shot-blocking/

Once I put the info together, I expect to post it on the main boards. Out of 100 responses, I expect that 12 of them will tell me that I know nothing about tradition, 62 will tell me to go watch basketball or soccer, 25 will say something like "What is this, I don't even", and the rest will actually read the original post and offer their thoughts as well.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:29 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBusChill View Post
What he said plus get rid of the body armor. I'd rather see broken arms or sprains than brain injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well I Never View Post
To reduce concussion giant Nerf helmets so the players look like bobble heads when playing. I don't know if it would be good for the game but it would be pretty funny to watch for a game or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
No touch icing
and
Not sure we need the first one, but love the other suggestions, particularly the last one. Make OT 10 minutes along with this suggestion. The NHL needs to get to a point where regulation wins mean more again, and get away from these 3 point contests which effectively eliminate anyone from making big moves in the standings.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 01:13 AM
FANonymous

A penalty is always a penalty no matter what names are on the back of the jerseys, what logo is on the front, and when in the period, season or playoffs it happens.

Make that change and I'll deal with the rest.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 07:28 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

I would love to see shootouts gone. Make OT longer or bring back ties I don't care just get rid of the stupid shootout.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:41 AM
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM

vCash: 183
Quote:
I asked Howson about this a couple years ago at a STH meeting. He was in favor of it, and had discussed it at GM meetings, but felt there was no chance of it being implemented. I don't remember the exact words, but had a snide comment (for him, at least) about old school GM's resistant to any changes.

Columbus Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:47 AM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
No touch icing
and
Define fair game?

joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:30 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjoshjosh View Post
Define fair game?
If they are playing the puck they can be hit just like any other player is my guess.

03-13-2012, 03:12 PM
EspenK

What I'd like to see is you hit a guy in the head like Cooke did to Savard for example and it is determined "suspendable", the length of the suspension should be equal to the time missed by the victim. Cooke would now be retired.

Of course that will never happen so maybe something like an automatic 10-15 game suspension if you make an illegal hit to the head that results in a concussion.

I also like the idea of softening,reducing the armor worn by players. that would have to have some impact.

Since we don't have a goalie who could play th epuck outside of the trapezoid (I'm not convinced we have one who can play it inside) I say keep the rue as is. We ever get a Brodeur like goalie I say change it. LOL.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 07:18 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Add to Lee's list: allow Tronto to overrule certain on ice calls such as goalie interference. They now have HD cameras on every goalie, us them.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Do not want to see the red line back in play for two line passes. Taking it out has opened up the game and made it much more exciting watching the home run pass.

Taking off some of the armour will go a long way to reduce concussions. Slowing the game down will just bring the clutch and grab era back.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I want: the icing rules altered so player injury from the boards is decreased, OT 4X4 for three minutes then 3X3 for two minutes then the shootout.

Do not return the red line, stretch passes have made the game more open and fun.. (teach the players to keep their heads up)

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

I can live with the hybrid icing rule that has been discussed, don't like the automatic icing.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Robert
BOB

Bob Mckenzie on NBC Sports tonight is reporting that hybrid icing is probably coming next season, the collegiate NCAA rule will be the model.. also, this season, refs are going to begin cracking down on line changes, to many players/coaches are trying to cheat the system by changing players to far from the bench. (to many men on the ice penalties will increase if it continues)

Old
03-14-2012, 09:07 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjoshjosh View Post
Define fair game?
You can hit them like any other player. No boarding, charging, cross-checking or anything else, Same rules apply. After all, they ARE wearing the most protective gear of anyone on the ice. Don't want to risk getting a boo-boo or causing an embarrassing empty net goal? Don't go behind the goal line.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:39 PM
Xoggz22

Hybrid icing is a good thing I think. I too want the shootout gone but would modify the points to 3 pts for a regulation or OT win, 1 pt for any loss. If the shootout were to remain only reward 2 pts for a shootout win and 1 pt for a shootout loss.

I would add a 5 min running clock 3 v 3 O.T. after 4 v 4 or give each team a 5 v 4 PP opportunity in place of the shootout. Score on the PP and the other team gets a chance to tie. Don't score you lose. If score is tied and you give up a shorty you lose. Not perfect but at least it would be decided on the ice in a team situation rather than a skills competition.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:09 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 200
I'm curious why changing to 3x3 is necessary. Why not just 10 minutes of 4x4? I bet most games wouldn't go past 7 minutes.

I'm for anything that gets rid of shootouts and the loser point, though.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:10 PM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

Quote:
THIS is the single best idea I've heard. +1, leesmith!

plong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Robert
BOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
I'm curious why changing to 3x3 is necessary. Why not just 10 minutes of 4x4? I bet most games wouldn't go past 7 minutes.

I'm for anything that gets rid of shootouts and the loser point, though.
The amount of overtime impacts network programming time, pro leagues are very conscience of how long games last on an average basis. I kept the OT to 5 minutes based on that, the 3X3 time would decrese the number of shootouts.