HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If you could have any Flyers enforcer...

Old
03-14-2012, 06:22 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

vCash: 500
These two:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Rick Tocchet is an option for a forward. Otherwise, it would be Holmgren.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:26 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Tocchet because he was actually a great hockey player.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 07:17 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Tocchet because he was actually a great hockey player.
Dave Brown was my favorite enforcer and Berube was a beast as well but on this team I would go with Behn Wilson. Decent skills and would destroy people with that upper cut. Dave Richter was only here for a cup of coffee but he could throw 'em too.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 07:19 PM
ninetynine*

Jody Shelley or Riley Cote. I'm content.

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:26 PM
SgtJoseph

There is only one Philadelphia original when it comes to Flyers enforcement......
Dave the Hammer Schultz...........The rest since have been nothing more than 2nd and 3rd acts.The Hammer was the real Coke of Flyers enforcers.I liked Behn Wilson, Brown, Tochett, etc, But the Hammer was on a whole different planet !Game-Set-Match !I cannot even believe anyone would even ask such a question ! Fergetaboutit ! LOL

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:11 PM
phlocky

The Hammer was by far the most feared Flyers enforcer league wide in his day. Based on that he absolutely gets the nod as the meanest & toughest SOB to ever play for the O&B.

Aa far as hardest pure puncher nobody beats Behn Wilson in our history. I watched him hit this one guy with jist 1 punch, lift him up off the ice with that punch & the guy was out before he hit the ice. NOBODY wanted to figjt Wilson, and i mean nobody. Actually, Brashear probably rivaled Wilson for how hard he could punch.

As far as who i'd take, it would be a toss up between Wilson & Brashear. Both were far more than goons & both could kick the **** out of anyone else on this lost including Brown and Lindros. Honorable mention goes out to Paul Holmgren as he was far more than just an enforcer.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Ron Hextall.

03-14-2012, 10:23 PM
Scoopyten

I'd have Tocchet and Holmgren in the top 3. Both were not just tougher than nails, but both were damned good hockey players. But I'd take Behn Wilson. He could have been a Scott Stevens type guy. He was an animal when he dropped his gloves, put guys through walls and could play a solid two way game on defense.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:41 PM
Beastieboy

Dave Brown for me. The Hammer would be second.

When I recently met the Animal (Bialowas) and chatted Flyers tough guys he agreed Brown and Berube were the last good ones the Flyers had. Brashear used to run away from Frank in the AHL.

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:06 AM
Gert B Frobe

Behn Wilson then Dave Brown. Schultz was and still is an idiot though he could fight. I once saw him 2 hand a 15 year old kid in the ankles during a father son game because he stole the puck from him. Then he wanted to fight some of the fathers who yelled at him. This was about 15-20 years ago. It wasn't funny or cool either - guy is a total cement headed moron. I've hated him ever since.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:21 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastieboy View Post

When I recently met the Animal (Bialowas) and chatted Flyers tough guys he agreed Brown and Berube were the last good ones the Flyers had. Brashear used to run away from Frank in the AHL.
I remember going and watching Brashear do this at Memorial Stadium in St. John's in the early 90's. The Animal was awesome to watch. He killed people.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:31 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Dave Brown. dude was a bad ass mother****er. Also hes the reason why its a 10 minute misconduct if your jersey isnt tied down.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:49 AM
slapsht25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04' hockey View Post
Behn Wilson.....we can always use another big, tough D-man to clear the mess in front of Bryz.....one of the toughest EVER to drop the gloves

Mr. Dave Brown a close second
he was a mean SOB who had a good shot and could throw them as well

slapsht25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:40 AM
XtremeofParanoia

Donald Brashear

XtremeofParanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:00 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

In this video, we see what happens when a retired Brashear gets to fight on a solid surface, instead of on freaking ice while wearing shoes made of knives.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 06:42 AM
John Flyers Fan

Schultz isn't one of the top 5 fighters the Flyers have ever had.

He really struggled with those bigger them.

Dave Brown is right there with Bob Probert as far as all-time top NHL heavyweights.

He tops any Flyers list.

Here is a list a comprised during a thread during the season of shame (2006-07)

This isn't a best enforcer, or how often you fought thread. Gloves are off, who could thrown 'em better than anyone else.

1. Dave Brown - Big for his time, devastating left hand. Arguably a top 3 or 4 all-time NHL fighter. Nothing better than him tuning up Domi, while he was a Rag.

2. Behn Wilson - Didn't turn out to be the player he should have, but a devasting fighter. Big, stong, a bit nuts .. another dominant left hander.

3. Donald Brashear - Didn't fight often enough, but don't remember him losing a fight as a Flyer. Big, strong and could just wear opponents down. Usually would be on the receiving end of the first one or two punches before taking over.

4. Eric Lindros - Too talented to fight often, but the strongest player in the league, with the ability to just rag doll opponents.

5. Dave Schultz - Nobody fought more, and the reason the headbutt is now outlawed. The "Hammer" was a big reason why so many opponents suffered from the "Philly flu". His pummelling of Dale Rolfe during game 7 vs. the Rangers in 1974 was a huge reason the team advanced to the Finals. He had his troubles with bigger players (Gillies, Robinson).

6. Paul Holmgren - Flyers 2nd all-time PIM leader, a fiteness freak. Big, strong RW with a wicked temper. Had shoulder issues that prevented him from being even better, but a tremendous player and fighter. Didn't lose the anger as a coach, where he once lifted and pinned Mike Bullard to a wall by his throat.

7. Rick Tocchet - Made the team due to his toughness before transforming himself into a great power forward. Had some legendary battles with Scott Stevens. Flyers all-time PIM leader.

8. Mel Bridgeman - Not many #1 overall picks are going to make a list like this, but Bridgeman was an animal. Underrated as both a player and a fighter

9. Glen Cochrane - The orginal Rob Ray, stripping himself before battle. 1100+ PIM's in just 257 games. Mark Howe's early defense partner, loved to throw down and could do it with the best of them. Took too many dumb penalties that lead to his downfall.

10. Craig Berube - Took over for Dave Brown after he was shipped to Edmonton. The Chief didn't get to 1,000 games played in the NHL because of his wheels or touch around the net. He knew his role and was a great teammate.

Honorable mention - Bob Kelly, Dan Kordic, Darryl Stanley and Jack McIlhargey

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 07:10 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Behn Wilson then Dave Brown. Schultz was and still is an idiot though he could fight. I once saw him 2 hand a 15 year old kid in the ankles during a father son game because he stole the puck from him. Then he wanted to fight some of the fathers who yelled at him. This was about 15-20 years ago. It wasn't funny or cool either - guy is a total cement headed moron. I've hated him ever since.
I saw the same thing happen.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 07:40 AM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
Quote:
Originally Posted by rj8812 View Post
ex-wife
o rly?

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 08:00 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Dave Brown. dude was a bad ass mother****er. Also hes the reason why its a 10 minute misconduct if your jersey isnt tied down.
I thought the tie-down rule was otherwise known as the Rob Ray rule.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:48 AM
RyK15*

Dudes, Berube beat Probert THREE times. I don't think anyone else has. My vote is for THE CHIEF.

RyK15* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastieboy View Post

Frank gave me a tape of all his fights. He fought Brasher three times in the minors. One draw and two clear cut beat downs by Frank. Frank's move after a fight was to race to the penalty box.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Appleyard

Didn't Brashear box pretty well too during the lockout... remember him winning a few fights.

Even at a low level, to box you have to be very good.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 04:16 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Hey ! The Hammer will be an enforcer until he cuts his oxygen addiction ! The 15 year old shoulda known better,and his old man shoulda briefed the young lad about the Hammer and told him to stay clear of # 8 !I actually enjoyed reading this story ! Sorry, but i had to smile just a little ! LOL

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Hey ! The Hammer will be an enforcer until he cuts his oxygen addiction ! The 15 year old shoulda known better,and his old man shoulda briefed the young lad about the Hammer and told him to stay clear of # 8 !I actually enjoyed reading this story ! Sorry, but i had to smile just a little ! LOL
I have met Dave numorous times and he has always been a gentleman. But I never laced them up against him! He did tend to snap when playing

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I have met Dave numorous times and he has always been a gentleman. But I never laced them up against him! He did tend to snap when playing
Someone can be the nicest guy out of a competitive sporting arena, but as soon as they step on the ice/field/pool/court, whatever the level, they become a SOB! Even when a competitive person tries to ease off against kids or inferior competition, the instinct is still to go hard and win...and at times it is very hard to do so!

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote