HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

We could be cup contenders next year

Old
03-14-2012, 01:13 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

vCash: 500
A better team? Yes. Cup contenders? No.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:17 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
A better team? Yes. Cup contenders? No.
Right.

Let's learn to walk before running.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:18 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Do you know something we don't?
LOL so I guess I had that number wrong. Hehehe. BTW I don't think we'll be a contender. What I'm saying is that contenders are overated.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:47 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Right.

Let's learn to walk before running.
well, reading the boards sometimes (most) gets you the impression that we tank this year, get a great pick and we're ready to contend right away...

but reading this thread, looks like it's not what will happen... a few years of being bad is what's going to happen... years of losing... years of no playoffs at all...

and there's the few geniuses who think we should embrace years of being bottom feeders

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Lemons

Playoff bound ? I could see that.

If we want to be cup contenders? Parise and Suter in the line up, Gomez gone, Management changeup, coaching change up. MAYBE.

But thats asking for a miracle.

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Valois

Unless Quebec, Saskatoon, or Seattle get an expansion franchise, I really do see us in the top 30 at least next season.

Valois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 04:14 PM
smon

I like your optimism. Neither are sure things or likely possibilities even. Draft Grigorenko? Seems unlikely right now. What if he has growing pains then even if drafted?

And sign Parise? That I think is even more unlikely.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Hey Mr. Positives.

Remember Ottawa
If Subban becomes Karlsson next season and Plekanec/Grigorenko puts up Spezza numbers while Pacioretty has another 30-40 goal season, then yeah we can be Ottawa. Odds of that are?

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
If Subban becomes Karlsson next season and Plekanec/Grigorenko puts up Spezza numbers while Pacioretty has another 30-40 goal season, then yeah we can be Ottawa. Odds of that are?
Kaberle has a Gonchar-esque comeback season, Emelin has a Kuba-esque season, Ryan White gets to Chris Neil's level, Gionta gets back to a 30-goal season, etc.

Lots of stuff has to happen.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 04:25 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
Playoff bound ? I could see that.

If we want to be cup contenders? Parise and Suter in the line up, Gomez gone, Management changeup, coaching change up. MAYBE.

But thats asking for a miracle.
I dont.

Looking at wich players are already under contract with us and others who will re-sign (like RFA Subban for example)... and considering the fact we've let go of some talent (like AK back to being a 20+ goal scorer without Connie as HC)... AND fact we wont sign top UFAs in July...

and I dont see the few UFAs we have interested in coming back... guys like Moen could certainly find a better team for next season.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

I think it's really a bad idea to set our expectation toward signing a good UFA this summer. The market doesn't look good at all. There aren't a lot of good names available, and a lot of things would have to happen for the few exceptions to end up signing of us. So just don't count of it.

With the departure of Cammalleri and the probable exit of Gomez, we've entered a period of change for the team, before we were ready. And it won't be easy. I'm not even sure if making the playoff is a given at this point. The good news is that our goaltending is set, and our defense should become good in the next few years with plenty of young guys and two top prospects coming to pro.

But the offence... ouch. We cruelly need to add a new top-6 winger, and even that doesn't seem that easy a plan. We have some young guys (Max, Desharnais, Eller) who need to fully develop and/or not regress, and a vet like Gionta who need to continue playing like he can even if he's getting older and injured. And even if all this happen well, I'm not sure we can be competitive. Worst, our farm is bare in term of blue chip forwards, so there's no redemption here.

The silver lining is that our future is definitively built from the back, which is the right way to do it. But before getting competitive again... I really don't know. The one thing that would really help us a acquiring a top offensive player. Maybe the draft will save us... but that's again something that must go well with everything else.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life74 View Post
1. Price having a fantastic year
2. Patches, Cole have another great year
3. Add some grit to the blue line
4. Markov plays all 82 games at a high level
5. Subban has a phenomenal year
6. We get a real 1C in the draft and trade away 1 of Eller or DD to free up a spot for him and by doing that build up assets from what we traded DD/Eller for (For the record, I want Eller to stay, love the kid)
7. We add some more scoring depth and toughness out front. Really like what Staubitz has done for our team.
8. We clearly need better management...A good head coach and GM would be a great step towards helping the franchise.
How in the hell did you ever come up with #1
Go back and look at the blown leads in the third periods, all the brakeways goals he gave up and the shootouts he lost.
Read somewhere he was barely cracking top 20 this season, sounds about right.
Please Stop overrating Price and Eller, its sickening the way people talk about these two. DD ,cole and max were our only bright lights this year by far and away

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Stassino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Hey Mr. Positives.

Remember Ottawa
We still had veteran leadership all over the board, and a prospect pool that makes other teams look like they play in a tier below..

You cannot compare the two organizations at this point in time..

Stassino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Aeneas

at best, we will be back in playoffs and i believe in the "anything can happen" in the playoffs, but by no means will we be a favourite if that is what your implying, also we will need to have alot of things go right for us to even make the playoffs like alot of posters have previously stated

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:27 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
I think it's really a bad idea to set our expectation toward signing a good UFA this summer. The market doesn't look good at all. There aren't a lot of good names available, and a lot of things would have to happen for the few exceptions to end up signing of us. So just don't count of it.

With the departure of Cammalleri and the probable exit of Gomez, we've entered a period of change for the team, before we were ready. And it won't be easy. I'm not even sure if making the playoff is a given at this point. The good news is that our goaltending is set, and our defense should become good in the next few years with plenty of young guys and two top prospects coming to pro.

But the offence... ouch. We cruelly need to add a new top-6 winger, and even that doesn't seem that easy a plan. We have some young guys (Max, Desharnais, Eller) who need to fully develop and/or not regress, and a vet like Gionta who need to continue playing like he can even if he's getting older and injured. And even if all this happen well, I'm not sure we can be competitive. Worst, our farm is bare in term of blue chip forwards, so there's no redemption here.

The silver lining is that our future is definitively built from the back, which is the right way to do it. But before getting competitive again... I really don't know. The one thing that would really help us a acquiring a top offensive player. Maybe the draft will save us... but that's again something that must go well with everything else.
I would be happy to just solidify the D by getting a big, physical D-man who is good defensively, and there are a few such players set to become UFAs this summer, although Im sure a couple will be signed by their current clubs. Our D could look like this

Markov Gorges
Grossman PK
Emelin Diaz
Kaberle
I would actually prefer to have Weber as the 7th, but if Markovs knee goes itd be hard and costly to get another offensive D-man, so moving Kaberle could be risky. Hell though I wish the guy could play better D.
Obviously if Markov goes down again then we are screwed, but if he doesnt then I think we have a pretty good D.

Last edited by yianik: 03-14-2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: left out a piece
yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Habsfanatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
How in the hell did you ever come up with #1
Go back and look at the blown leads in the third periods, all the brakeways goals he gave up and the shootouts he lost.
Read somewhere he was barely cracking top 20 this season, sounds about right.
Please Stop overrating Price and Eller, its sickening the way people talk about these two. DD ,cole and max were our only bright lights this year by far and away
You do realize he was talking about next year right? Hense the name of the thread..

Habsfanatical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 07:39 PM
icerocket

What an awful topic.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:26 PM
groovejuice

Lots of strategies to win. Imagine Jacques Lemaire as HC, with a 'new trap system', a top 10 PP and PK, with a much improved 4 on 4 and shootout. Could win a lot of boring, close games. Add a hot goalie and....

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Teufelsdreck

I have to treat this thread as what Freud categorized as a wish fulfillment dream. The Habs may sign some UFAs next season but I don't expect them to be of the highest caliber. I can't think of any logical reason for Parise or Suter to sign with the Habs. The prospects won't be ready and even if one or two are, so what? I still foresee weaknesses in the lineup, including lack of depth at several positions. My horizon for the team next season doesn't extend past a possible playoff slot in the lower half of the East conference qualifiers.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:01 PM
The Doors

They need a top six forward with at least 25 goals ability (What Cammalleri should have been, What cyBorque probably won't be), a tough defenceman, a veteran bottom six forward with grit and toughness.

A clean slate with a fresh season, healthy captains (Markov and Gionta) and continued development of young players (Price, Pacioretty, Subban, Desharnais, Eller, Busto) surrounded by good veterans (Gorges, Cole, Moen, etc). The skelton is there, a new GM just needs to build around it.

The team isn't great, but they're not as bad as last place in the East. It's a 6th-8th place team that was rocked by some unfortunate circumstances, which have a tendency to snowball into massive amounts of craziness in our hockey mad town. They'll make the playoffs next year, and hopefully this season will be looked back at as one where they added a handful of nice prospects as well as a learning curve for the talented young players on the team.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:18 PM
Habstract

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
If we draft grigerenko, and sign a UFA like parise, then get tinordi and/ or beaulieu up. PK with another year under his belt and now able to play a more offensive role because of the return of markov, and not to mention the return of our captain, who's been our leading scorer the last 2 years, as well as plekanec and bourque playing up to their potential, and maybe a bottom six forward or two. some 10-15 goal scorers who are big and rough. and all our young guys, desharnais, leblanc, eller, patches, maturing even more. We could have a team that turns it around, just like that. (finger snap) chin up folks

I am now BLIND!!

Habstract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:42 PM
pachorella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Not sure we will have that much of a better team. Parise and Suter are the only 2 big names on the FA market and to be honest I don't see either signing with Montreal. Trades well depends who the next GM is and how creative he can be. We will have pretty much the same hockey team next year, hopefully a healthy Markov but more or less the same guys unless a huge trade in the off season which I wouldn't bet on
Yeah but even with the same team, we'll be a better team, remember it was the first year for one of our defensive pairing in the nhl.
It will be hard to prove me wrong next year. at least in the east the odds of being a worst team then this year are 0/15 the same 1/15 and better 14/15
looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ol

pachorella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:22 AM
Shadyone33

Blast. I just watched TSN's update from the GM meetings and LeBrun said that some GM's are going to be a little conservative because the word is that there WILL NOT be a Buy out opportunity like there was heading into this CBA.

In my opinion this was the easy way to ditch Gomez, now he'll have to be buried in the minors because nobody will take him in trade.

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:43 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Ask yourself, Is Karlsson more usefull than P.K. to their respective team? While Karlsson is the offensive force much like Mike Green... P.K. is the offensive force AND the defensive force on this team..
P.K. On a sophomore slumps improved on his last season already and looks to be on his way to improve his stats numbers !(Yes he's well over a PPG for what 8 games now?) I don't see where Ottawa is any better than us. SURE, they have the first line fire power advantage. Spezza being one of the best players in the league... But are Michalek, Alfredsson, Turris, Foligno, Greening, neil and Smith any better than DD, Cole, Plekanec, Eller, Bourque, Gionta, Moen and Leblanc? (Dindt take into account Patches as I matched him with Spezza who is their best player...)
Same thing in defense. Kuba, Phillips, Gonchar, Gilroy, Cowen and Carkner are pretty good.. Is Gorges better than all of them? Sure thing. Kaberle=Gonchar yep offensively, Defensively ill give the upper hand to Gonchar. Then you add in Markov (What he shown is not what he is..But even if its just THAT! ATM he is an NHL defenseman. Sure he's slower right now and he's not super cool to watch, but thing is, he is a NHL defenseman EVEN at that level of play. Then you have Emelin ... who is litterally the love of every body here (Include me in this sentence.) and then you have Weber/Diaz/STD/Beaulieu/Tinordi/ellis who could all have fluke/great NHL seasons.

Then you have to think about the UFA will we bring one or two or three in ? We wil surely make some roster moves in the offseason Molson will not accept another season of sucking like that for sure he needs tha moooonneeeyyyy. (It's all business.)

Oh and did I mention Ottawa doesnt have Price in net ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stassino View Post
We still had veteran leadership all over the board, and a prospect pool that makes other teams look like they play in a tier below..

You cannot compare the two organizations at this point in time..
You're right. Your best goalie is a backup goalie. We have one of the best.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:52 AM
Guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
If we draft grigerenko, and sign a UFA like parise, then get tinordi and/ or beaulieu up. PK with another year under his belt and now able to play a more offensive role because of the return of markov, and not to mention the return of our captain, who's been our leading scorer the last 2 years, as well as plekanec and bourque playing up to their potential, and maybe a bottom six forward or two. some 10-15 goal scorers who are big and rough. and all our young guys, desharnais, leblanc, eller, patches, maturing even more. We could have a team that turns it around, just like that. (finger snap) chin up folks
I highly doubt that we would be contenders, in fact it's virtually impossible barring we get reinforcement, but we will definitely be better then we were this season.

Guess is offline   Reply With Quote