HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Philadelphia Flyers nominate Jagr for Masterton Trophy

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-15-2012, 07:06 AM
  #1
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63
 
kudymen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Atlanta (Decatur)
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,147
vCash: 500
Philadelphia Flyers nominate Jagr for Masterton Trophy

http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/flyers...674&feedID=695

I wasn't sure where to put that so I started a completely new thread just to get your opinion on that move.

Very nice move by the Flyers imo.

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 07:09 AM
  #2
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,245
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudymen View Post
http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/flyers...674&feedID=695

I wasn't sure where to put that so I started a completely new thread just to get your opinion on that move.

Very nice move by the Flyers imo.
Of all the things that I imagined happening with Jagr this year, both good and bad, this was not one of them. Weird, wild stuff.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 07:13 AM
  #3
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63
 
kudymen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Atlanta (Decatur)
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Of all the things that I imagined happening with Jagr this year, both good and bad, this was not one of them. Weird, wild stuff.
Haha, anyone saying in the 90s that Jagr will be nominated for a sportsmanship award by Philly one day would be laughed at so hard.

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 08:23 AM
  #4
Xegiie
Registered User
 
Xegiie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Czech republic
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 1,941
vCash: 500
it quite fits him now tho, i don't think theres anyone who is more deticated than Jags

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:12 AM
  #5
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,270
vCash: 769
cool, but he won't win it

Pacioretty will most likely

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:38 AM
  #6
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,415
vCash: 5700
Jagr is for sure dedicated, especially at his older age, but the fact is he skipped town for 3 years for the money. He won't be in Vegas.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:02 AM
  #7
thelos
Bunk
 
thelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,610
vCash: 500
Crosby will probably win if he gets nominated

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:08 AM
  #8
Xegiie
Registered User
 
Xegiie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Czech republic
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 1,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
Crosby will probably win if he gets nominated
for being injured?

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:09 AM
  #9
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,415
vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xegiie View Post
for being injured?
Lappy won the award last year and never played a game.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:21 AM
  #10
Xegiie
Registered User
 
Xegiie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Czech republic
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 1,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Jagr is for sure dedicated, especially at his older age, but the fact is he skipped town for 3 years for the money. He won't be in Vegas.
so becuase he switched league he become less deticated to hockey?

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:22 AM
  #11
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,415
vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xegiie View Post
so becuase he switched league he become less deticated to hockey?
To the NHL, yes.


This is an NHL award. He wasn't out of the league because he was a bad player. He was out of the league because he wanted to play in another league. The direct rival to the NHL no less.


That said, I am fine with the nomination. We didn't really have any good nominees unless you want to throw Timonen into the mix.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:26 AM
  #12
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63
 
kudymen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Atlanta (Decatur)
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Jagr is for sure dedicated, especially at his older age, but the fact is he skipped town for 3 years for the money. He won't be in Vegas.
I've heard that Jagr left for KHL because he wanted multi-year contract (2yrs, willing to take a pay-cut) and Sather's only offer was around 7 million but only for 1 year. Of course Russia was tax free choice, but still... Anyway, if Jagr went to Vegas no one would ever see him again

Crosby and Pacioretty seem to me like more serious contenders too

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:35 AM
  #13
jagrgodr
Registered User
 
jagrgodr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudymen View Post
I've heard that Jagr left for KHL because he wanted multi-year contract (2yrs, willing to take a pay-cut) and Sather's only offer was around 7 million but only for 1 year. Of course Russia was tax free choice, but still... Anyway, if Jagr went to Vegas no one would ever see him again

Crosby and Pacioretty seem to me like more serious contenders too
lol i think he was in vegas during #jagrwatch. Anyways congrats to Jagr for the nomination, he really deserves it. He helped turn this club around by leading by example after they got rid of richards and carter and i'm sure that helped the team a lot. Instead of drinking, Jagr trains, and with a team full of young guys, you can't ask for anything more.

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:52 AM
  #14
thedjpd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
To the NHL, yes.


This is an NHL award. He wasn't out of the league because he was a bad player. He was out of the league because he wanted to play in another league. The direct rival to the NHL no less.


That said, I am fine with the nomination. We didn't really have any good nominees unless you want to throw Timonen into the mix.
But it's an award for dedication to hockey.

It doesn't say that it's given to the player most dedicated to the NHL.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:58 AM
  #15
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,597
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudymen View Post
Haha, anyone saying in the 90s that Jagr will be nominated for a sportsmanship award by Philly one day would be laughed at so hard.
Yeah, this. The world turned upside down.

Edit: well, any award really. This one isn't really a sportsmanship award, that's the Lady Byng

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:22 PM
  #16
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63
 
kudymen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Atlanta (Decatur)
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yeah, this. The world turned upside down.

Edit: well, any award really. This one isn't really a sportsmanship award, that's the Lady Byng
Oh. Sorry, my bad, I often made mistakes between Lady Byng and Bill Masterton Trophy >_<

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:25 PM
  #17
philly_28
Valar Morghulis
 
philly_28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Austria
Posts: 887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
But it's an award for dedication to hockey.

It doesn't say that it's given to the player most dedicated to the NHL.
Not officially, no.

I'm with GKJ on this. They obviously won't say that they don't want to give the award to him because of his leave to the KHL, but those circumstances are not helpfull for winning an NHL award.

philly_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:44 PM
  #18
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft
 
BleedOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oshawa Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Nice..

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:42 PM
  #19
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,805
vCash: 500
The fact that Jagr is nominated tarnishes the players who have won it in the past.

Jagr did nothing more than leave the NHL to chase a **** ton of money, then came back. There is nothing heroic, dedicated or honourable in that.

Luckily, there is almost no chance he wins it.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:46 PM
  #20
ninetynine*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Behind you...
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,730
vCash: 500
Should have been Bryz

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:52 PM
  #21
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 2,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
The fact that Jagr is nominated tarnishes the players who have won it in the past.

Jagr did nothing more than leave the NHL to chase a **** ton of money, then came back. There is nothing heroic, dedicated or honourable in that.

Luckily, there is almost no chance he wins it.
Yes, because the only heroic thing for every single human being to do is to want to live, work and die in and for the big ole' US of A or Canada, right? How dare he go play in a league not NHL, especially in some commie country.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:40 PM
  #22
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Yes, because the only heroic thing for every single human being to do is to want to live, work and die in and for the big ole' US of A or Canada, right? How dare he go play in a league not NHL, especially in some commie country.
You've missed my point. It doesn't matter where he chose to play the last three years. He hasn't persevered through anything. He hasn't shown any particular dedication to anything but his ego and the almighty dollar during his absence.

His return to the NHL cannot in any way be compared to players returning to the game after dealing with serious disease or injuries received during the course of play. To equate the two diminishes those who have truly persevered.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:47 PM
  #23
dawkins121
Registered User
 
dawkins121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
You've missed my point. It doesn't matter where he chose to play the last three years. He hasn't persevered through anything. He hasn't shown any particular dedication to anything but his ego and the almighty dollar during his absence.

His return to the NHL cannot in any way be compared to players returning to the game after dealing with serious disease or injuries received during the course of play. To equate the two diminishes those who have truly persevered.
Who would you nominate from the Flyers instead? Whatever his motivation was, he did come back to the NHL after a 3 year absence and fight through several injuries at the age of 39 and still managed to be an effective player and solid veteran presence on a team full of rookies.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 03:10 PM
  #24
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 2,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
You've missed my point. It doesn't matter where he chose to play the last three years. He hasn't persevered through anything. He hasn't shown any particular dedication to anything but his ego and the almighty dollar during his absence.

His return to the NHL cannot in any way be compared to players returning to the game after dealing with serious disease or injuries received during the course of play. To equate the two diminishes those who have truly persevered.
Huh, how can you claim such things, when you don't even know him? What exactly about his going to Russia was that manifested his dedication to his ego and the almighty dollar? Is it not a valid choice to want to play hockey where you think you'll enjoy it better? You don't even know his personal circumstances, what he's gone through, whether he was just jaded with NHL hockey at the time (but not with hockey in general!) etc. Plus, it's funny you talk about his dedication to the dollar and the ego, when he at least shows up for the World Championship each year, which cannot be said of many other NHLers. But I guess wanting to play for your country for no additional pay despite a tough season, and when there's many proud Canadians, Americans, Swedes and Finns who refuse to do so, is just seen as stroking your ego nowadays, eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Who would you nominate from the Flyers instead? Whatever his motivation was, he did come back to the NHL after a 3 year absence and fight through several injuries at the age of 39 and still managed to be an effective player and solid veteran presence on a team full of rookies.
Yeah, exactly. I don't think he's going to win it, because in all honesty he doesn't deserve to, but I don't see who else should've been nominated from the team.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 03:17 PM
  #25
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,836
vCash: 500
This is one of those instances where it's better not to submit a candidate. His nomination makes a mockery of the award.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.