HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2nd line, the 1st line, and the 0.7

Old
03-15-2012, 08:50 AM
TragicallySabres

vCash: 500
G:
Foligno
Ennis
Erhoff
Stafford

B:
Miller
Comparing Landeskog to Forsberg. Settle down, NBC.

U:
Pierre (as always)
Letting another team tie it in the final seconds

Atrocious:
The Sabres never get respect from the guys on NBC
Brad Boyes in the shootout. WAKE UP LINDY!

TragicallySabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 08:56 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
First game I've been to in a few months.

Good:
- Foligno
- Staff
- Ennis
- Sulzer being engaged most of the game
- Colorado drove HARD to the net all night. Good for them.
- I liked Roy's game most of the night. Even threw a hit.

Bad:
- Unfortunately Vanek and Poms are still struggling.
- Sulzer not keeping it simple enough at times. He got beat pretty badly a few times trying to stand up a guy or pinch.
- I still think the ice at the FNC is ****ing terrible. They were fighting the puck all game, really badly.
- Miller was also fighting the puck all game. His "Big Save" was him reaching out to make a save after he put himself in a bad angle for the shot. A shot that should have been pretty routine to stop on one of his normal nights.
- Hodgson can't buy a point
- Regehr seems to still be recovering from his LBI. Got beat to the outside almost every play it seemed.
- Leino and his ****ing one-hand on the stick ****. Also, trying to carry it into the zone too much instead of dumping it in

Ugly:
- Downie the blowhard. Go **** yourself, you ********.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:21 AM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
First game I've been to in a few months.

Good:
- Foligno
- Staff
- Ennis
- Sulzer being engaged most of the game
- Colorado drove HARD to the net all night. Good for them.
- I liked Roy's game most of the night. Even threw a hit.

Bad:
- Unfortunately Vanek and Poms are still struggling.
- Sulzer not keeping it simple enough at times. He got beat pretty badly a few times trying to stand up a guy or pinch.
- I still think the ice at the FNC is ****ing terrible. They were fighting the puck all game, really badly.
- Miller was also fighting the puck all game. His "Big Save" was him reaching out to make a save after he put himself in a bad angle for the shot. A shot that should have been pretty routine to stop on one of his normal nights.
- Hodgson can't buy a point
- Regehr seems to still be recovering from his LBI. Got beat to the outside almost every play it seemed.
- Leino and his ****ing one-hand on the stick ****. Also, trying to carry it into the zone too much instead of dumping it in

Ugly:
- Downie the blowhard. Go **** yourself, you ********.
BOLDED:
Watch him more closely, most of his BIG SAVES are because hes out of position. Tonight was just awful, I swear at one point he physically turned around to see where the puck was after we started breaking out of the zone.

I for one hope our next "franchise goalie" isn't a butterfly goalie.

Sulzer played his worst game as a Sabre. Not Mike Weber bad, but still bad. Not giving up on him, even though Ruff has and probably will scratch him when Myers and Sekera are back.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

The Good:

The Puck! Thanks Puck! Stafford got not one, not two, but THREE fortuitous bounces on his shorty! GREAT hustle on his part, he was rewarded by the Hockey Gods for his hustle.

Ennis. He's playing brilliant hockey right now. 14 points in his past 15 games, and perhaps the #1 reason why the Sabres have hope of making the playoffs. Ruff still doesn't get it. Ennis needs to be THE MAN on the power play. The RW half boards is HIS office. Not that ass-clown Roy, his time is done.

Ehrhoff. I love this guy, he drives the net as well or better than anybody on the team. Some sick passes, and his shot is loaded with pure rattle snake venom. It's easy to see why he's a 50 point blue liner, and we got him for another 9 years? ****ing A.

Stafford. When he reacts instead of thinking, he's really good. When he thinks too much or tries to be too fancy he kind of sucks. By now, he should really know his limitations. Stop pushing the envelope Stafford, lead with steady reliable hockey. Set the example.

Foligno. I like this kid a lot, he's obviously got the tools to be a good power forward at the NHL level, but I'm not sold on his effort and talent. Let's see how he plays in another 2 or 3 weeks. Great game!

The Bad:

Miller played like a bag of pucks. Where's the West Coast Miller?

Hodgson...meh why beat a dead horse?

Weber's stock is dropping. I guess I get disenchanted with everything Pittsburgh related sooner or later? Or maybe it's just the fact that he is insanely risky with the puck. His vision and foot speed are not being compensated for with physical play. He is, a tremendous shot blocker but he's gotta bring more to stay a Sabre IMO.

The Ugly:

The refs...meh...another dead horse.

The Ruff.

The Regier.

Last edited by Play4Miracles*: 03-15-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Zip15

vCash: 450
I thought Miller saved their ass for most of the second half of the game, especially the first 19:58 of the 3rd period. Sorry to disturb the narrative. As you were.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:19 AM
ShaPow

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
and Pierre said Ruff kept telling them to attack and push the pace in the 3rd.
And?

Results would be nice. Actually getting his players to achieve what the head coach wants them to achieve is what matters. Not just barking orders with little to no result. That's been Lindy Ruff for the better part of 5 straight seasons.

If all any head coach had to do was simply point out the obvious to his players, every head coach in the history of athletics would be on the same plain.

Last edited by ShaPow: 03-15-2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: grammar
ShaPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:51 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I thought Miller saved their ass for most of the second half of the game, especially the first 19:58 of the 3rd period. Sorry to disturb the narrative. As you were.
Disturb what narrative?

He fought the puck all night. He made a few "fancy" looking saves that were a result of him being out of position, then he couldn't stop the puck from squeaking by when it mattered. I think it was easily his worst game since his awesome stretch started.

He's not the reason they lost, of course. But he wasn't good or great by any stretch.

Old
03-15-2012, 10:57 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Disturb what narrative?

He fought the puck all night. He made a few "fancy" looking saves that were a result of him being out of position, then he couldn't stop the puck from squeaking by when it mattered. I think it was easily his worst game since his awesome stretch started.

He's not the reason they lost, of course. But he wasn't good or great by any stretch.
He made several good saves because he was in the proper position. He played the first goal poorly, and gave up rebounds more than he should have. His positioning wasn't that bad though.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:34 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
He made several good saves because he was in the proper position. He played the first goal poorly, and gave up rebounds more than he should have. His positioning wasn't that bad though.
It was on at least 2 saves that looked nicer than they really were.

Old
03-15-2012, 11:39 AM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
The Good:

The Puck! Thanks Puck! Stafford got not one, not two, but THREE fortuitous bounces on his shorty! GREAT hustle on his part, he was rewarded by the Hockey Gods for his hustle.

Ennis. He's playing brilliant hockey right now. 14 points in his past 15 games, and perhaps the #1 reason why the Sabres have hope of making the playoffs. Ruff still doesn't get it. Ennis needs to be THE MAN on the power play. The RW half boards is HIS office. Not that ass-clown Roy, his time is done.

Ehrhoff. I love this guy, he drives the net as well or better than anybody on the team. Some sick passes, and his shot is loaded with pure rattle snake venom. It's easy to see why he's a 50 point blue liner, and we got him for another 9 years? ****ing A.

Stafford. When he reacts instead of thinking, he's really good. When he thinks too much or tries to be too fancy he kind of sucks. By now, he should really know his limitations. Stop pushing the envelope Stafford, lead with steady reliable hockey. Set the example.

Foligno. I like this kid a lot, he's obviously got the tools to be a good power forward at the NHL level, but I'm not sold on his effort and talent. Let's see how he plays in another 2 or 3 weeks. Great game!

The Bad:

Miller played like a bag of pucks. Where's the West Coast Miller?

Hodgson...meh why beat a dead horse?

Weber's stock is dropping. I guess I get disenchanted with everything Pittsburgh related sooner or later? Or maybe it's just the fact that he is insanely risky with the puck. His vision and foot speed are not being compensated for with physical play. He is, a tremendous shot blocker but he's gotta bring more to stay a Sabre IMO.

The Ugly:

The refs...meh...another dead horse.

The Ruff.

The Regier.
I don't think the knack on Foligno is his Effort. Every level hes played coaches have said that his strength. Hes exactly what I wanted Gaustad to be. Hit people to knock people off the puck, not hit people after they get rid of the puck.

I would like to see how his talent improves. I would like to see Adam-Ennis-Foligno some point before next season begins.

(On Weber topic)I haven't liked his play this year. I think hes the type of guy that plays better when he doesnt have the puck on his stick. His cross-ice pass from one blueline to the other, was the first time this year I literally threw the remote at the wall.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:06 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
BOLDED:
Watch him more closely, most of his BIG SAVES are because hes out of position. Tonight was just awful, I swear at one point he physically turned around to see where the puck was after we started breaking out of the zone.

I for one hope our next "franchise goalie" isn't a butterfly goalie.

Sulzer played his worst game as a Sabre. Not Mike Weber bad, but still bad. Not giving up on him, even though Ruff has and probably will scratch him when Myers and Sekera are back.
Miller's goaltending style is actually more hybrid then butterfly. He also tends to "be out of position" frequently because he's a pretty aggressive goaltender who believes in coming out of his net to cut down angles. This sometimes results in him having to make the highlight reel save or letting in goals that make him look poorly positioned.

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Loungie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
Yeah, no kidding.

*Landeskog touches the puck*

Emrick: OH MY GOD THIS LANDESKOG KID IS THE NEXT JOE SAKIC
Emrick: Hes like Peter forsberg out there he just wants the puck

Loungie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
I don't think the knack on Foligno is his Effort. Every level hes played coaches have said that his strength. Hes exactly what I wanted Gaustad to be. Hit people to knock people off the puck, not hit people after they get rid of the puck.

I would like to see how his talent improves. I would like to see Adam-Ennis-Foligno some point before next season begins.

(On Weber topic)I haven't liked his play this year. I think hes the type of guy that plays better when he doesnt have the puck on his stick. His cross-ice pass from one blueline to the other, was the first time this year I literally threw the remote at the wall.
Weber used to fire it across the slot last season, he almost got burned about 3 or 4 times, but never did. He's got THAT out of his system but there's still much to improve upon. He's gotta relax, communicate, and read before reacting. I think these mental mishaps occur late on his shifts, so it could be a conditioning issue or just inexperience. He's not good at keeping up with forwards in the corners either.

Foligno is a half step faster than Goose, but I'm sure Goose would like to get there before the puck is moved too. He's got rookie adrenalin right now, so I don't know if this is the type of game he's going to bring as an NHL regular (IF). That's good that he has a positive book about him but I'll reserve judgement for my own eyes thank you very much.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:53 PM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
It was on at least 2 saves that looked nicer than they really were.
I'd have to know specifically which two you were talking about, but I didn't interpret things the same way.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:58 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
I'd have to know specifically which two you were talking about, but I didn't interpret things the same way.
I don't recall exactly when these were, but I'll try to give a quick description.

1. Colorado player took a shot from around the left faceoff circle (top of it I believe). Miller wasn't as far out as he usually is and was a bit off on his angle. To make the save he had to throw his right arm and leg to the right to cover up the open angle. It looked like a much better save than it really was.

2. Simple point shot. Miller went down early and then reached way out with his glove to make a save on a shot that was probably going wide. Pure flash save.

Old
03-15-2012, 02:11 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
Quote:
Ignoring the first half of things would have us believing Ennis was a ppg player

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Woodhouse

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyndig86 View Post
I was swearing at my TV during their last rush. We didn't stack our blue line and he had a free pass through it like the parting of the red sea.

Back to back games ending like this, though this one a loss... Heart breaking...hated Millers last two games.

Anyone have a stat for how often Miller lets in a goal in the last minute of a period or game? Its gotta be pretty high compared to other goalies, seems like hes always letting in last minute goals.
It's out there somewhere. I read it in one of the past few weeks ... it was something like Miller could have double-digit shutouts, but lost # bids inside ten or five minutes, etc. I'm assuming it was a TBN piece, but I could be wrong because it was actually a good stat.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 05:17 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Did the crowd noise come across on TV as the typical 2012 FNC crowd noise? Or was it noticeably louder/noisier?
YEAH! We even you credit for leading the cheers............ (not kidding 'bout that)

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 05:25 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post

I agree that we should all evaluate him after two or three weeks. However, effort has never been a question with Foligno - not sure why you're not sold on that. Kid brings it every night.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 05:28 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
I'm with you on that point. Miller was generally strong in the 3rd. Look at the shots against for God's sake. Our defense is completely pourous.

Yeah someone will tell me that's Ruff's system. But seriously, no one puts any type of system in place that by design allows teams to regularly put a high number (42 last night) of shots on net...Even if they are coming from the periphery. We all know that for every 10 shots, 1 is going in. Allow high 30's to 40's every game and you better be outscoring the other team.

Far as I could tell, our guys just didn't cover their patches of ice last nice and/or got beat. Colorado had the jump on them 2nd & 3rd periods. Hence where Miller came in.

Enough... on to the next game.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote