HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Canadiens claim Brad Staubitz off re-entry waivers

Old
03-15-2012, 06:06 AM
SAKS AVENUE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemsFinest View Post

there was someone else, i can't remember, in recent years that we also got off waivers and had some success as a team guy/fan favorite. who was it? my firsth thought was tom kosto but i'm not sure.
Aaron Downey, the potato man? He always got punched out though.

SAKS AVENUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 08:45 AM
Maverik

Glen Metropolit.

Picked off from Flyers when they were in town. He carried his hockey bag from one locker room to the other.

Maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Joe Cole

Is it my imagination or did Staubitz not play a single shift after he failed to drop the mitts with Neil, after Neil ran Price and laid some bodychecks all over the ice last night against Ottawa.

I was thinking... if you ain't gonna take on their guy after those incidents, or do the same yourself, then you might as well sit on the bench.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik View Post
Glen Metropolit.

Picked off from Flyers when they were in town. He carried his hockey bag from one locker room to the other.
Begin was also a waiver pick up from Buffalo, if we're building a list.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:55 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Begin was also a waiver pick up from Buffalo, if we're building a list.
In the same waiver draft, the Habs also picked up Darren Langdon. Both of those guys were great in their roles.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
In the same waiver draft, the Habs also picked up Darren Langdon. Both of those guys were great in their roles.
Quite true. Though I'm not really prepared to call Langdon "great" in his role. Filled the role, scored that huge tying goal (his only playoff point?) against the Bruins after Theodore had been holding the fort for a bit at 1-0, but was one of those Laraque/Staubitz wastes of a roster spot (different era/game then, though, I guess). Couldn't even get 5 mins of icetime from him because he was that poor of a hockey player, lol. Definitely a tough dude, though, in the days of our gentle giants.

Old
03-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Is it my imagination or did Staubitz not play a single shift after he failed to drop the mitts with Neil, after Neil ran Price and laid some bodychecks all over the ice last night against Ottawa.

I was thinking... if you ain't gonna take on their guy after those incidents, or do the same yourself, then you might as well sit on the bench.
I think he's proven himself to take on whatever comes his way. He chatted with Neil, things remained civilized after that, the Price incident wasn't anything major.

I notice teams showing a little more respect out there.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:49 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Quite true. Though I'm not really prepared to call Langdon "great" in his role. Filled the role, scored that huge tying goal (his only playoff point?) against the Bruins after Theodore had been holding the fort for a bit at 1-0, but was one of those Laraque/Staubitz wastes of a roster spot (different era/game then, though, I guess). Couldn't even get 5 mins of icetime from him because he was that poor of a hockey player, lol. Definitely a tough dude, though, in the days of our gentle giants.
Maybe great was a little too strong of a descriptor for Langdon. I guess he seemed so effective in that role compared to guys like Blouin, Dwyer, R. Simpson, Odjick (especially after he broke his hand and went with the one glove on method), Cummins, Morrisette and Vukota before him. They calibrated my expectations for a fighter at that time low.... real low.

I do agree that was a different time, though. With guys like Simon, Oliwa, McCarthy and the Belak/Domi tandem on other teams, I was glad to have a genuine heavy around to distract them for a while.

LOL. This wasn't even that long ago, but I feel like breaking into a rendition of "Those Were the Days".

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I think he's proven himself to take on whatever comes his way. He chatted with Neil, things remained civilized after that, the Price incident wasn't anything major.

This.

And Neil, yesterday, for the first time, wasn't running his mouth with our players and he wasn't taking run at guys.

Staubitz had a couple of big hits yesterday also.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Staubitz plays an effective role, he is not a waste of a roster spot.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
Maybe great was a little too strong of a descriptor for Langdon. I guess he seemed so effective in that role compared to guys like Blouin, Dwyer, R. Simpson, Odjick (especially after he broke his hand and went with the one glove on method), Cummins, Morrisette and Vukota before him. They calibrated my expectations for a fighter at that time low.... real low.

I do agree that was a different time, though. With guys like Simon, Oliwa, McCarthy and the Belak/Domi tandem on other teams, I was glad to have a genuine heavy around to distract them for a while.

LOL. This wasn't even that long ago, but I feel like breaking into a rendition of "Those Were the Days".
Seriously though, eh?! I know what you mean. The game really was just that different immediately pre/post-lockout, and it already feels like so long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Staubitz plays an effective role, he is not a waste of a roster spot.
Your opinion, and you're entitled to it.

Old
03-15-2012, 02:19 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post

I notice a bit more respect too, but.... I think Neil did not stop after his chat.

And... did Staubitz play in the third?

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Seriously though, eh?! I know what you mean. The game really was just that different immediately pre/post-lockout, and it already feels like so long ago.

Your opinion, and you're entitled to it.
Thanks.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote