HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Koivu... stay or leave?

View Poll Results: Should Koivu remain a hab next year?
Yes!! 122 76.73%
No!! 37 23.27%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Allison has also a great record of amazing leadership . If people complain about Saku, they surely wont about Jason .
What irony you express! We know JFJ would like to trade him before the deadline.

Old
02-09-2006, 12:16 PM
habs_24x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo
What the hell with people? Seriously, why do the Habs have to get rid of Koivu if another #1 center comes along? Reminds me of the Ribeiro-Koivu debates from 03-04. We can have BOTH, dammit.

If another good #1 center comes along, then we'll have 2 good top lines... what the hell is wrong with that? Who cares if Koivu is the de facto #1 or #2 if the Habs can ice 2 excellent trios.

We're not there yet, but the current Higs-Koivu-Ryder and Kovy-Ribs-Perez lines are pretty much just that, two first lines that can be cycled and be somewhat effective. These lines need adjustment (i.e. talent not available on the team or not developped yet) but it's the general idea.

The point is, if you have only 1 good line, the opponent only has to concentrate their defensive efforts against it to shut you down. With 2 lines, it's much tougher for them.

Keep Koivu AND get another excellent center.
in a non capped system, i would say youre right. problem is if you resign Koivu, he will want at least 4 mill a year. then youve already got Theo at 5.3 as well as Kovy at 4.5 and the other ''excellent center'' as you put it that would probably be making around 5 also. now count in the raises going to some of the players like Ryder and others and BAM!!! over the cap...

Old
02-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
give a list of all UFA centers...that are better then saku.
If some are really better than Saku, and a few (such as Brad Richards) truly are, I would expect their current teams to sign them. The Habs wouldn't get them anyway because UFAs would probably want to go to a strong contender in a city where the taxes are lower.

Old
02-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs_24x
in a non capped system, i would say youre right. problem is if you resign Koivu, he will want at least 4 mill a year. then youve already got Theo at 5.3 as well as Kovy at 4.5 and the other ''excellent center'' as you put it that would probably be making around 5 also. now count in the raises going to some of the players like Ryder and others and BAM!!! over the cap...
I thought someone would bring up the cap!

Of course you're correct if things stay as is.

But it is expected that the cap goes up by 2-2.5 mil for next season. I also expect some salary to be dumped to make some room for the increases for those that deserve it. I would venture that guys like Zednik, Sundstrom, Ribeiro are goners. Most of the team is still pretty young and won't command huge salaries.

If an opportunity to sign a good player comes along, players like Dandenault or Bonk could be waived or traded, and same with Theodore.

Basically, in the off-season Gainey would have some time to come back under the cap if he does make a big signing. I think there's room, he just needs to be creative with his expenses.

What I'm saying is that Koivu is a much more necessary asset than any of the guys I mentionned above and should be top priority when it come down to choosing between who to keep.

By the way, I'm thinking Koivu should get 3.5-4.0M for a medium term contract. If it goes in the 4.5M range, then yes, Bob will have to think twice. That said, Koivu has never been greedy with the Habs.

Cheers!

Old
02-09-2006, 12:33 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

If he stays, give him a different role.
Second line center with an A on his jersey and I would be more then happy.

Old
02-09-2006, 01:06 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
If some are really better than Saku, and a few (such as Brad Richards) truly are, I would expect their current teams to sign them. The Habs wouldn't get them anyway because UFAs would probably want to go to a strong contender in a city where the taxes are lower.

Ummm if I'm not mistaken, Richards is a Restricted Free Agent in the Off Season

Old
02-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik
It's all a question of price. At 3.2M, I'd not hesitate. At 4.5M, i'd look in the market before.
I'm with you on this one. I dont mind Koivu on my team, but over 4M is pushing it.

Makes him agree with the team needs!!! First he accept less money, second he calls Jokinen and ask him to join the habs. Jokinen-Koivu would be a good 1-2 centers punch with finally some size on the first line.

But... that might be pushing it also, lol.

Old
02-09-2006, 02:24 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordchezz
Ummm if I'm not mistaken, Richards is a Restricted Free Agent in the Off Season
True. I was getting ahead of myself. Anyway, the list of first line UFA centers is short, and I don't see the Habs signing any (except, of course, for Koivu).

Old
02-09-2006, 03:01 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans
u talking of koivu like its greatest leader of all time...anyway..like i said earlier..BG gonna give me reason..he will not resign Koivu
My point was the major criticism about Koivu was leadership, Allison is a known cancer. And if BG resigns Koivu, will you do a happy dance for us? Pray for Mojo?

Old
02-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Habs Man

Personally I think he should stay... yes... he'd be a great #2 or 3 centre, but as captain.... I'm not so sure about that.

Old
02-09-2006, 03:05 PM
les Habs

All depends on his wage demands. He's on what, 3.4mil right now? I'd say 3.0-3.4 is the best we should offer. If he accepts then I'd love for him to stay.

Old
02-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by les Habs
All depends on his wage demands. He's on what, 3.4mil right now? I'd say 3.0-3.4 is the best we should offer. If he accepts then I'd love for him to stay.
Exactly, that would be a perfect price for the services he's giving us. By trading Theodore, Bonk and some deadweight we would have ample money to spend on an elite centermen and good defenders. Philly ran away with Hatcher at 3.5M, lets do the same with Koivu. If forsberg signed for 5M because of his injury proneness, then Koivu is worth about 3 to 3.5.

Old
02-09-2006, 03:53 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
give a list of all UFA centers...that are better then saku.

Sakic and Arnott

Old
02-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué
Sakic and Arnott
Now give me the same list next summer (after most important guys like Sakic will have signed with there team again) including the ones that would be willing to play in pressure cooker mtl.

Old
02-09-2006, 04:48 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué
Sakic and Arnott
Arnott is a bigger Saku but without the heart. For a similar price 'd take Saku for sure.

I'd also take Jokinen over Arnott for sure. Better and younger.

I'm pretty sure Jokinen will get more money than Saku and would not make much difference on the team. Sakic is getting old and will also get more money. For the right price, it would be a good idea to keep Saku and put our extra money on a stud D.

Old
02-09-2006, 10:56 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
another great game by captain saku.

Old
02-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned
If he stays, give him a different role.
Second line center with an A on his jersey and I would be more then happy.

What the hell is wrong with everybody?

Old
02-10-2006, 01:28 AM
les Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
By trading Theodore, Bonk and some deadweight we would have ample money to spend on an elite centermen and good defenders.
Exactly right back at you. I hope to God Gainey gets rid of the deadweight to free up some cash. We really need to ring in some changes this summer and Koivu is one of the players who should stay.

Actually it'd be nice if we could get rid of some of the deadweight now. If only their trade value were a bit higher. If a team is looking at the playoffs though they may be tempted.

Old
02-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik
Arnott is a bigger Saku but without the heart. For a similar price 'd take Saku for sure.

I'd also take Jokinen over Arnott for sure. Better and younger.

I'm pretty sure Jokinen will get more money than Saku and would not make much difference on the team. Sakic is getting old and will also get more money. For the right price, it would be a good idea to keep Saku and put our extra money on a stud D.
Jokinen and Koivu for our 2 scoring lines would be excellent!

Closed Thread