HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If it's Brown flush it down

Old
03-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Reaper45

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
That hit he laid on Holmstrom, beauty.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Too bad there isn't an asian player on the Kings or we could start a thread titled "If it's yellow, let it mellow".

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:30 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Too bad there isn't an asian player on the Kings or we could start a thread titled "If it's yellow, let it mellow".
Is to late to do an appreciation thread for the defensive workhorse known as Jim Paek?

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Is to late to do an appreciation thread for the defensive workhorse known as Jim Paek?
Jim Paek and BlahBlah Fukufuji!

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:29 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
I've been one of the biggest people criticizing Brown but DAMN has he been good....
Good on ya for admitting it.

Perro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:43 PM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Cause Brown is a gutless, chicken-**** diver. Didn't you get the memo?
That play was a dive though, JMHO

ibleedkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:53 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedkings View Post
That play was a dive though, JMHO
Maybe an embellishment, but not a dive. He was clearly hit by Z.

A dive is when you fake getting hit.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:14 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Paek's jersey was/is in the HHOF. I almost passed out when I saw it. Wasn't a dive by Brown, Zetterberg got in good position to bump him in a good spot. The fact that Brown didn't retaliate was what impressed me. That's the smart play. Brown seems to be playing much more focused, smart hockey since he was called out.

The Tikkanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 04:24 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
He can't go through a slump the rest of the season. If he's not scoring points there are other ways he can still be a leader to this Kings team, doing nothing night in and night out is no longer acceptable for the captain of the Kings. I hope the trade rumors and finally being called out by a coach helps him realize that. Draw penalties, hit players that matter when it matters, set up screens and the points will come.
When has he ever done nothing night in and night out?

The level of play in the NHL is so high that no player is going to stick out every night. I've seen many games where Crosby was barely noticeable. The criticisms of Brown are usually unrealistic; I feel the same way about Kopitar.

Brown is a versatile winger that hits, draws penalties, scores around 25 goals, and has a cap hit of 3.1M. He is what he is. He's never going to be a prolific scorer.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:46 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
When has he ever done nothing night in and night out?

The level of play in the NHL is so high that no player is going to stick out every night. I've seen many games where Crosby was barely noticeable. The criticisms of Brown are usually unrealistic; I feel the same way about Kopitar.

Brown is a versatile winger that hits, draws penalties, scores around 25 goals, and has a cap hit of 3.1M. He is what he is. He's never going to be a prolific scorer.
There have been plenty of games this season where Brown and most other King players have completely disappeared which is why they are battling for a playoff spot. I think if you wanted to do the research and break down the score sheets game by game you'll notice Brown's name missing from the important categories when the Kings lose. In games lost by the Kings brown has 37 games played, 5 goals, 9 assists for 14 points and is a minus 8. Brown's shooting percentage in games lost is a horrendous 4.9% while in games won by LA it's 18.4 Basically, when Brown's hockey IQ drops the Kings lose. Since the All Star Break he's been playing like a captain should play. You don't have to score 82 goals a year but you do need to show up and do the little things necessary if you're not a prolific scorer.

Old
03-15-2012, 09:52 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
There have been plenty of games this season where Brown and most other King players have completely disappeared which is why they are battling for a playoff spot. I think if you wanted to do the research and break down the score sheets game by game you'll notice Brown's name missing from the important categories when the Kings lose. In games lost by the Kings brown has 37 games played, 5 goals, 9 assists for 14 points and is a minus 8. Brown's shooting percentage in games lost is a horrendous 4.9% while in games won by LA it's 18.4 Basically, when Brown's hockey IQ drops the Kings lose. Since the All Star Break he's been playing like a captain should play. You don't have to score 82 goals a year but you do need to show up and do the little things necessary if you're not a prolific scorer.
For the purpose of comparison, how does the same analysis work for Kopitar? For Doughty? For Richards?

When their "hockey IQs" drop, do the Kings lose?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:58 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
For the purpose of comparison, how does the same analysis work for Kopitar? For Doughty? For Richards?

When their "hockey IQs" drop, do the Kings lose?
Kopitar's numbers are very similar in wins and losses, 33 points in 33 games for wins, 37 games and 27 points for losses which is what you would expect from your #1 offensive weapon. Anze's shot percentage drops from 13.6 in wins to 8.5 in losses and he's taken 37 more shots on goal in losses. He's a plus 16 in wins and a minus 11 in losses, I think those are reasonable number to expect in wins and losses. Richard's numbers jump out at you like some of Brown's. 31 games played, 9 goals, 17 assists, 26 points and a plus 13 in wins. 31 games played, 5 goals, 4 assists, 9 points and a minus 11 in losses. Shooting percentage drops from 12.7% in wins to 7% in losses which is to be expected. Like with Brown-when Richards doesn't play well the Kings lose and these are 2 guys supposedly battling it out for the right to wear the C. Doughty's numbers are pretty much the same, like with most players the shooting % drops a little in losses but all his other numbers are pretty even. +10 in wins, -12 in losses is the one stat that stands out. The big guys need to show up and the leaders need to lead, this isn't quantum physics. If the Kings want to get into the playoffs and advance the big guys need to put the team on their backs, that's not too much to ask and lately they've been doing that with the exception of a game here and there.

Old
03-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Asheru

Dustin Brown is my mofo.

"Draws penalties better'n anyone in the NHL" sounds so much nicer than anything else.

Asheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 07:46 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Kopitar's numbers are very similar in wins and losses, 33 points in 33 games for wins, 37 games and 27 points for losses which is what you would expect from your #1 offensive weapon. Anze's shot percentage drops from 13.6 in wins to 8.5 in losses and he's taken 37 more shots on goal in losses. He's a plus 16 in wins and a minus 11 in losses, I think those are reasonable number to expect in wins and losses. Richard's numbers jump out at you like some of Brown's. 31 games played, 9 goals, 17 assists, 26 points and a plus 13 in wins. 31 games played, 5 goals, 4 assists, 9 points and a minus 11 in losses. Shooting percentage drops from 12.7% in wins to 7% in losses which is to be expected. Like with Brown-when Richards doesn't play well the Kings lose and these are 2 guys supposedly battling it out for the right to wear the C. Doughty's numbers are pretty much the same, like with most players the shooting % drops a little in losses but all his other numbers are pretty even. +10 in wins, -12 in losses is the one stat that stands out. The big guys need to show up and the leaders need to lead, this isn't quantum physics. If the Kings want to get into the playoffs and advance the big guys need to put the team on their backs, that's not too much to ask and lately they've been doing that with the exception of a game here and there.
Thanks for doing that. Makes a lot of sense. To win, your best players need to beat their best players.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 07:58 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
For as much **** as Brown takes here, it's time to recognize his point scoring streak and his improved overall play.

Dustin; Good work bro. You're playing like a captain. Lead us down the yellow brock road.

I am going to down a beer in your honor.
Lol i hope you mean this before trade deadline brown and not current.. i haven't seen anyone talk **** about brown since the deadline, i might of missed it.. But overall i love this brownie.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 07:59 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Jim Paek and BlahBlah Fukufuji!
Wasn't it Youtaco Fukufiji lol

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:34 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
In games lost by the Kings brown has 37 games played, 5 goals, 9 assists for 14 points and is a minus 8. Brown's shooting percentage in games lost is a horrendous 4.9% while in games won by LA it's 18.4
This stat can be interpreted in a good way, or a bad way. You have chosen the latter.

Penner and Stoll are awful, Gagne is injured, and Doughty/Richards are shells of their former selves. Those are all the guys that were supposed to provide secondary scoring, but somehow the Kings struggles are Dustin Brown's fault.

It's not a coincidence that suddenly EVERYONE is producing more now that we have a functioning 2nd line and a competent puck moving dman for the 1st time this season.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Wasn't it Youtaco Fukufiji lol
Jumbaco Fukufiji.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 01:01 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
This stat can be interpreted in a good way, or a bad way. You have chosen the latter.

Penner and Stoll are awful, Gagne is injured, and Doughty/Richards are shells of their former selves. Those are all the guys that were supposed to provide secondary scoring, but somehow the Kings struggles are Dustin Brown's fault.

It's not a coincidence that suddenly EVERYONE is producing more now that we have a functioning 2nd line and a competent puck moving dman for the 1st time this season.
What's the good way? And please give me some facts to back your argument on the good ways to interpret Brown's poor numbers when the Kings lose. TIA. Just the facts, man, just the facts.