HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers win 3-0!

Old
03-15-2012, 09:23 AM
EspenK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Being shut out by the 29th placed team. That's gotta be rock bottom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boco View Post
They won against the Blue Jackets. Let's not get carried away folks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
YEEEEES! We are fine! I thought things were bad before but now, in beating Columbus, we're all good. The players have redeemed themselves....................

Great everything and everyone!

Oh, it was Columbus...

EDIT: And yes, I know it's never bad to win. But all is NOT good...[/QUOTE]

In the words of our former coach Scott Arniel - "Just keep piling on"

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:24 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
^^^ LMAO that is awesome! Good on Smid being a mentor (though he is only 2 years older)
I think he is giving him **** for picking up the first chick in the bar the night before.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:30 AM
waffen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I think he is giving him **** for picking up the first chick in the bar the night before.
a mentor has many duties

waffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Mcworraps
McWonderful McSummer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matte99 View Post
In all fairness, Oilers must be one of the worst teams i've seen lately and if anything good happends its just because of invidual talent or lucky bounces. Team play and systems are none excisting. There is zero genuine puck possession going during offense, a maximum of two passes in a row and then shuffle hockey around the boards. No sustained pressure from controlled cycling, and if nothing radical happens with how this team plays as a team, i dont see them in a playoffs any century soon.
Yet they have the second best power play in the league ...

The team's three best players have been in the league for less than two years and they are likely to pick up an elite second line center at the draft. Give them time.

Mcworraps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:05 AM
McLotto 97

vCash: 761
Renny is always saying in interviews "Just go for it boys, play to win"

Well prime example of what is wrong with the team's mentality is his coaching. Oilers have a 2-0 lead with a 4 on 4. 10-94 to start followed by 37-20 and finished with 10-28 (they stayed out to kill the last 25 sec of being short handed)

Seriously you fning staple the kids to the bench. No wonder the vets dont give a **** they see all the prime ice time with out deserving it.

Also What is up with Gagner? This has been the worst stretch of games in a long time for him. Countless offside, icing the puck instead of passing, and looking like he has no offensive ability.

McLotto 97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Aerchon

Didn't read all the posts but alot seem very positive. Guess I am a pessimist at heart cause the was not a strong win at al despite the score.

Effort was good most the game by pretty much everyone. But. There was alot of botched simple plays. That game really should of been something like 6-2 for the Oilers. So many easy simple open nets missed. Alot fo quality chances on both sides just wiffed. Ryan Smyth looked like a joke out there. Taking that much time and missing that wide open a net by 3 feet or more... omfg. Even the kids just seem a bit more off than they should be.

Tainting the whole game was the fact the blue jackets played mind numbingly horrible.

Dub's interview after seemed to me to be avoiding talking about Renny and his rant. I really got the impression even after a shut out that Dub was not happy.

I am glad we didn't lose but in that did not seem like a win to me.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Matte99

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Yet they have the second best power play in the league ...

The team's three best players have been in the league for less than two years and they are likely to pick up an elite second line center at the draft. Give them time.
Most of the game is played 5on5, and when you aren't one man more you need more than individual skill and hard work to succeed. I think the PP success shows the great talent, but 5v5 is a big ????. Most of the time the kid line gets into to trouble in their own end. Its only in their transition game they (just as in PP) they can rely on individual skills to be a dangerous offensive threat.

Matte99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILERS91 View Post
Renny is always saying in interviews "Just go for it boys, play to win"

Well prime example of what is wrong with the team's mentality is his coaching. Oilers have a 2-0 lead with a 4 on 4. 10-94 to start followed by 37-20 and finished with 10-28 (they stayed out to kill the last 25 sec of being short handed)

Seriously you fning staple the kids to the bench. No wonder the vets dont give a **** they see all the prime ice time with out deserving it.

Also What is up with Gagner? This has been the worst stretch of games in a long time for him. Countless offside, icing the puck instead of passing, and looking like he has no offensive ability.

Reverting to the norm. Water finding it's level. Other than the little splurge for a few games with the so-called "miracle game" sprinkled in, it's been about the same before and after. Funny, haven't heard the big love-in for him lately that he was getting a few weeks ago, when someone suggested the bump in points was just a hiccup.

His value is as high as it will get. Draft the big centre you need this summer and move him in a package to shore up the D.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Mcworraps
McWonderful McSummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matte99 View Post
Most of the game is played 5on5, and when you aren't one man more you need more than individual skill and hard work to succeed. I think the PP success shows the great talent, but 5v5 is a big ????. Most of the time the kid line gets into to trouble in their own end. Its only in their transition game they (just as in PP) they can rely on individual skills to be a dangerous offensive threat.
If they are as bad at cycling as you say they are, they wouldn't have a good power play.

You're absolutely right 5v5 is harder. Unfortunately, most of the relevant players on this team (i.e. the ones who are going to be on it in 3 years) need to grow out of their teenage bodies and get more experience in the league before they are a potent even strength threat.

Growth and experience only come with time.

Old
03-15-2012, 12:27 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Only got to watch the 1st and 2nd sporadically because I was working, but I was able to sit down for the 3rd and I thought Gagner didn't play all that badly. He had a few close chances that just didn't go in, but he could have scored and certainly came close. I dunno, sometimes that happens.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Mcworraps
McWonderful McSummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Reverting to the norm. Water finding it's level. Other than the little splurge for a few games with the so-called "miracle game" sprinkled in, it's been about the same before and after. Funny, haven't heard the big love-in for him lately that he was getting a few weeks ago, when someone suggested the bump in points was just a hiccup.

His value is as high as it will get. Draft the big centre you need this summer and move him in a package to shore up the D.
I agree. Let Toronto or another desperate team pretend that Gagner is a 1/2 centre.

Old
03-15-2012, 12:32 PM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

I wonder if CBJ fans are at the "can we just simulate the rest of the season" stage that we were in when we picked Hall?

03-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I wonder if CBJ fans are at the "can we just simulate the rest of the season" stage that we were in when we picked Hall?
We've had about 4 of those in the last 6 years.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

LOL... line rushes today has Omark as the extra. Harski in his spot on the Horcoff/Smyth line

Can understand... Inject some toughness for a team fighting for their playoff lives.

Although, Omark is a sponge for physical play.

Last edited by Soli: 03-15-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 03:15 PM
McspOiler

Omark will never get a fair shake as long as renney is coach i think he hates him on principal. Renney needs to be able to label every player in their role and a small guy that plays hard along the boards does not compute.

McspOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by spOiler View Post
Omark will never get a fair shake as long as renney is coach i think he hates him on principal. Renney needs to be able to label every player in their role and a small guy that plays hard along the boards does not compute.

Are you ****ing kidding me? Renney hates Omark on "principle", based on what?

I think Omark got a bit of a raw deal this year because his opportunity to come and prove himself was taken away due to injury, that said he's far from a can't miss prospects with no holes in his game.

The Oilers will likely keep him, see what he does down the stretch in the AHL and then decide where he fits in the summer.

Seriously though, coaches don't "hate players" who can help them win out of some irrational and imagined spite.

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 03:45 PM
cpnfantstk

I'm a fan of Omarks but I believe he was told to work on his defensive game this year and he has not done so. Maybe there might be a frustration with that by the coaching staff. I still think he can offer some value for our team going forward.

cpnfantstk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
LOL... line rushes today has Omark as the extra. Harski in his spot on the Horcoff/Smyth line

Can understand... Inject some toughness for a team fighting for their playoff lives.

Although, Omark is a sponge for physical play.
Does this mean Jones was still with RNH and Eberle?

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 03:48 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
the exact same thing was said about schremp when mact was here, turned out macT was right all along, renney will get fired and the next coach wont even have omark and Training camp, he is not a top 6 nhl forward and he isnt suited to play a 2 way bottom 6 game.

peace out ommark

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
He was fine there, and provided exactly what they asked of him, a bang and crasher, and someone to create a little room.

Old
03-15-2012, 04:01 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
If you ever needed validation on how soft and small the top 6 on this team is look no further than the options available to add grit and size.

Petrell and now Jones...good lord.

This team desperately needs some quality girt in the top 6.

guymez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
If you ever needed validation on how soft and small the top 6 on this team is look no further than the options available to add grit and size.

Petrell and now Jones...good lord.

This team desperately needs some quality girt in the top 6.
This, a million times over.

Not a ton in as UFAs, David Jones would be at the top of my list.

Old
03-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
Only got to watch the 1st and 2nd sporadically because I was working, but I was able to sit down for the 3rd and I thought Gagner didn't play all that badly. He had a few close chances that just didn't go in, but he could have scored and certainly came close. I dunno, sometimes that happens.
Exactly. As soon as you get Gagner away from anchors like Omark, he immediately starts to look better. No surprise, no mystery.

You could put almost any player in the lineup with Gagner and it would be a far better alternative than Omark.

Hemsky is an odd player to play with and it takes time for most players to suss him out. Plus Hemsky is struggling generally this year. Still, Hemsky and Gagner showed some chemistry before in the season and hopefully will again. Definitely Hall is going to help out. Of course I wish it was Eberle but everyline on every team would want Eberle on it right now..

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Nacho
Special

Quote:
Said this after he was sent to the ahl after his first season... Thats how obvious it was...

Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 04:32 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
You joined a messageboard just so you could state crap like this?

How about a small veteran player thats good for a EV GA/game which is ****ing terrible.

This guy doesn't have a clue how to play an allround game. He cheats for offense most games and still doesn't produce diddly squat. High risk/low reward player.

Thats the shortcoming. Not his height.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote