HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexander Radulov - Radulov splits D vs. Chicago (6 points, 6 games)

Old
03-15-2012, 12:13 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
I wonder if they have the ability to "loan" him until April 30th, at which point the contract can be terminated? Similar to how an NHL club would be able to loan a player to a KHL club for a year, could they just loan Radulov to the Preds for the rest of the season then terminate the contract while retaining his rights after April 30th?
Ufa won't let that happen without a guarantee that they can retain his rights. I really can't blame Ufa if they do indeed have another year left.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:20 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Let's see ... Radulov runs off to Russia in 2008 with one year remaining on his Predators contract and signs a deal just days before an agreement is made between the NHL and KHL. He subsequently extends the KHL contract and we now know that their contract year runs through April 30th. No matter how we view it, the IIHF and KHL view that as a legitimate contract which requires his KHL team's permission for him to play elsewhere.

The NHL just this week got around to officially deciding if he would have to clear waivers or not if he returned so that hurdle is behind us. The interaction of contracts in multiple leagues with their inter-league agreements is still a problem if Radulov does ever plan on returning to the NHL.

Who thought this would be as easy as Ufa getting eliminated and Rads getting on a plane? The past four years show that nothing is simple when it comes to Radulov.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneemoon View Post
Look at it this way...the KHL steps in and grants some kind of exemption in Radulov's case and looks like the good guy in all of this. This may have been their plan all along.
The only issue is the other KHL clubs as they would likely oppose such a special exemption and KHL management is supposed to represent the interests of all clubs as guided by their regulatory framework.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

I don't expect any news until tomorrow at this point if Rads has to meet with circus conductor I mean KHL president.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:22 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Radulov has a year left on his KHL contract. Wasn't him running there with a year left on his NHL deal what angered so many people?

Old
03-15-2012, 12:25 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Radulov has a year left on his KHL contract. Wasn't him running there with a year left on his NHL deal what angered so many people?
The difference being, there are multiple ways out of his contract in Russia, the KHL has already given the green-light to Radulov's return, and that year still remains on a contract that existed before his KHL contract.

When he left here he did not even attempt due diligence. If they work out a legal solution to this then the two situations are not the same at all.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:27 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Yea but its different in the sense that they had a handshake/Gentlemens agreement to let Radulov come back.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:28 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyin318 View Post
Excuse me for not knowing this, but can some one fill me in:
If he still has one year remaining on his contract in Russia, why has he now decided this is a good time to come back? Is it only his whim? or are there other circumstances making this the right time?
He does have a year remaining on an extension that he signed with Ufa, but there are ways around that remaining year. He has issues with the Ufa coach. He wants to return to Nashville now since it will allow him to both play for a contending team in the NHL, and it will satisfy his last remaining ELC year on his contract with Nashville.

Basically, there has never been a better situation for his return than right now. Unfortunately, there is always a catch. We've found out what the catch here is going to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
I wonder if they have the ability to "loan" him until April 30th, at which point the contract can be terminated? Similar to how an NHL club would be able to loan a player to a KHL club for a year, could they just loan Radulov to the Preds for the rest of the season then terminate the contract while retaining his rights after April 30th?
That is an interesting thought. When NHL players are loaned to other clubs the NHL team retains their rights. I wonder if it is similar in the KHL, or if setting up such a rule would be all right with other KHL clubs.

Old
03-15-2012, 12:44 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

A handshake agreement is nothing. There are ways out of a NHL contract as well ... see Bergfors. At the time he left, there was no agreement in place between the KHL and NHL governing the transfer of players or preventing poaching.

The only differences between now and 2008 are that Ufa had clear warning that Radulov was preparing to run and there are agreements in place between the leagues now. I can't fault Ufa for exercising their rights to protect what they see as their player.

I do find it hilarious how many people were ranting how Radulov leaving with a year left was the most egregious thing ever but would now be perfectly content if he came back and did the same thing to Ufa. If it was wrong when he did it to us, it would be just as wrong if he did it to them.

Old
03-15-2012, 12:56 PM
tonyin318

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
..................... He has issues with the Ufa coach. He wants to return to Nashville now since it will allow him to both play for a contending team in the NHL, and it will satisfy his last remaining ELC year on his contract with Nashville.
Thanks! The "issues with the Coach" was the missing piece for me.............

I'd say that coach has to be a little nervous for his job right now.

tonyin318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:58 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyin318 View Post
Thanks! The "issues with the Coach" was the missing piece for me.............

I'd say that coach has to be a little nervous for his job right now.
Actually, the speculation is that Radulov wants out so badly because Ufa wants to keep the coach.

Old
03-15-2012, 01:06 PM
wadesworld

Quote:
I do find it hilarious how many people were ranting how Radulov leaving with a year left was the most egregious thing ever but would now be perfectly content if he came back and did the same thing to Ufa. If it was wrong when he did it to us, it would be just as wrong if he did it to them.
Well, the term "sweet justice" does come to mind.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:12 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
Well, the term "sweet justice" does come to mind.
So does the term "character flaw." Come to think of it that phrase has accompanied Radulov since before he was drafted.

Old
03-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Everlong
-

Wow, so many pages burnt through since yesterday. Can someone catch me up?

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:20 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
Wow, so many pages burnt through since yesterday. Can someone catch me up?
Everything till now:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:26 PM
tserberis*

That is it for today. It is almost 10pm in Russia. I expect no more news on the subject till tomorrow. To the Sharks now!!!

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:28 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Oh good. Another day/night of waiting to see in what way Ufa/KHL will screw Nashville over again

Old
03-15-2012, 01:31 PM
tserberis*

I bet this **** keeps team distracted as well.

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:32 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Oh good. Another day/night of waiting to see in what way Ufa/KHL will screw Nashville over again
March Madness TMI! Woooo Radu..who?

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:47 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
March Madness TMI! Woooo Radu..who?
Unfortunately I don't watch basketball

Old
03-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Landeskog

New goal to go to a Preds game with this jersey

Landeskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

So was the possibility of his club blocking his move here a known scenario this whole time? We were all led to believe it was up to him/his MRI and I never really heard anything like this.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:26 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
A handshake agreement is nothing. There are ways out of a NHL contract as well ... see Bergfors. At the time he left, there was no agreement in place between the KHL and NHL governing the transfer of players or preventing poaching.

The only differences between now and 2008 are that Ufa had clear warning that Radulov was preparing to run and there are agreements in place between the leagues now. I can't fault Ufa for exercising their rights to protect what they see as their player.

I dont see it that way... I see it as him finally righting the wrong he did to us. I have zero symapthy for Ufa...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:43 PM
YouAreTheGovt

With Love from Russia (Salavat UFA)

Rat FINK!

YouAreTheGovt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:44 PM
predfan98

@SlavaMalamud
@So_Truculent To land a very rich deal with SKA. Also, St. Petersburg is a huge city with a great night life.

6m Slava Malamud ‏ @SlavaMalamud Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
A possible Radulov outcome: KHL Prez Medvedev pays Salavat to let Radu go. Radu comes to Nashville, bolts in the summer for Medvedev's SKA

russian sports writer

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote