HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospect Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-15-2012, 09:30 AM
  #101
sina220*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
In case you didn't get the memo. Samuellson has been sent to Wheeling.
Yea and here's what coach said...

"One personnel note before I go. Philip Samuelsson was sent to Wheeling today. I talked to assistant GM Jason Botterill this afternoon and he said it was a move designed to get him some playing time. Botterill said he thinks Samuelsson is coming along just fine for a 20-year-old first-year pro. He added that the Penguins organization expects to see the greatest improvement in defensemen from their first to second year, like you saw with Brian Strait and Robert Bortuzzo. In other words, if Samuelsson is getting sent to Wheeling next March, you can start to raise red flags. Until then, itís all part of the process."

Ill keep this all in mind though, since so many of you are already willing to write the kid off at such an early stage. And considering the whole bandwagon of anti-samuelsson people in this thread, I'm gonna need a whole truckload of crow to serve up to you goofs next year.


Regarding Bortuzzo, strait and Lovejoy...


If Lovejoy was a goner as you say and straits ready, why not just ship or waive Lovejoy at the deadline? Its because despite what you think our organization realizes the potential still within Benny. Have you seen the last 2 NBC telecasts? Pierre mentioned specifically in the last one about how the organization raved about bennys skating, puck carrying, and lateral mobility. In the previous one Crosby mentioned in the interview Benny is one of the hardest working guys in practice which Pierre rementioned this past weekend. The organization sees the potential and value in a big bodied, intelligent, defender with great wheels. The majority of lovejoys mistakes aren't in coverage, they're either joining the rush too early or getting caught up ice. 1. Easily correctable, and 2. Considering he's been in when letangs out they've probably greenlit him to try and spark some offense.

And I loved the hate Benny was getting on the krecji goal last game. Orpik blows a tire mid-transition and everyone acts like Benny was waaaay outta position. It was a broken play against a good team, it happens.

Also, if straits ahead of bortuzzo on the depth chart, it isn't by much. Hes got seniority going for him as well, which the organization clearly respects. Just look at the way guys like picard, Hutchinson, Williams, etc were brought up early in their years, only to never be seen again. There's a decent chance bortuzzo gets the next call just for rotational purposes.


And lastly, all you people need to stop pretending strait is a "big" or "thick" defender. He's clearly not, go back and rewatch the games Hes one of thee smallest guys on the ice at all times. And if you really want to break it down, he's about the average size of most NHL forwards. Note I said "average", as in mediocre, regular, not really that big at all.

Not that it's impossible for him to be a good defender at that size, but what really does he bring that sets him apart? Nothing. Again, that's why I said if he can become known as a physical presence, ala boullion, he could carve out a niche. As it stands now most all teams can find a more valuable 6th defender. Straits basically scuderi without the physicality, or Eaton without the size. However you want to look at it, he's got less value than either of them did to this team when they were allowed to walk. At least Lovejoy brings a skating and puck carrying ability only martin and letang really posses on the back end right now. For all his improvement, niskanen rarely rushes/handles the puck and despres is still a bit tentative with the puck on his stick.

sina220* is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 09:52 AM
  #102
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sina220 View Post
Yea and here's what coach said...

"One personnel note before I go. Philip Samuelsson was sent to Wheeling today. I talked to assistant GM Jason Botterill this afternoon and he said it was a move designed to get him some playing time. Botterill said he thinks Samuelsson is coming along just fine for a 20-year-old first-year pro. He added that the Penguins organization expects to see the greatest improvement in defensemen from their first to second year, like you saw with Brian Strait and Robert Bortuzzo. In other words, if Samuelsson is getting sent to Wheeling next March, you can start to raise red flags. Until then, itís all part of the process."

Ill keep this all in mind though, since so many of you are already willing to write the kid off at such an early stage. And considering the whole bandwagon of anti-samuelsson people in this thread, I'm gonna need a whole truckload of crow to serve up to you goofs next year.


Regarding Bortuzzo, strait and Lovejoy...


If Lovejoy was a goner as you say and straits ready, why not just ship or waive Lovejoy at the deadline? Its because despite what you think our organization realizes the potential still within Benny. Have you seen the last 2 NBC telecasts? Pierre mentioned specifically in the last one about how the organization raved about bennys skating, puck carrying, and lateral mobility. In the previous one Crosby mentioned in the interview Benny is one of the hardest working guys in practice which Pierre rementioned this past weekend. The organization sees the potential and value in a big bodied, intelligent, defender with great wheels. The majority of lovejoys mistakes aren't in coverage, they're either joining the rush too early or getting caught up ice. 1. Easily correctable, and 2. Considering he's been in when letangs out they've probably greenlit him to try and spark some offense.

And I loved the hate Benny was getting on the krecji goal last game. Orpik blows a tire mid-transition and everyone acts like Benny was waaaay outta position. It was a broken play against a good team, it happens.

Also, if straits ahead of bortuzzo on the depth chart, it isn't by much. Hes got seniority going for him as well, which the organization clearly respects. Just look at the way guys like picard, Hutchinson, Williams, etc were brought up early in their years, only to never be seen again. There's a decent chance bortuzzo gets the next call just for rotational purposes.


And lastly, all you people need to stop pretending strait is a "big" or "thick" defender. He's clearly not, go back and rewatch the games Hes one of thee smallest guys on the ice at all times. And if you really want to break it down, he's about the average size of most NHL forwards. Note I said "average", as in mediocre, regular, not really that big at all.

Not that it's impossible for him to be a good defender at that size, but what really does he bring that sets him apart? Nothing. Again, that's why I said if he can become known as a physical presence, ala boullion, he could carve out a niche. As it stands now most all teams can find a more valuable 6th defender. Straits basically scuderi without the physicality, or Eaton without the size. However you want to look at it, he's got less value than either of them did to this team when they were allowed to walk. At least Lovejoy brings a skating and puck carrying ability only martin and letang really posses on the back end right now. For all his improvement, niskanen rarely rushes/handles the puck and despres is still a bit tentative with the puck on his stick.
You are clueless. You can quote whoever you want in the organization. They own these players rights. Do you really think they are going to bad mouth them to the press? This is a first class organization, they are trained to say all the right things. Just like last years training camp when everyone was raving about how Despres almost made the team. The coach and all the higher ups played along for the press. His carreer has been maped out by the organisation. He wasn't going to make the team out of camp last year or this year but it makes good press. Morrow did the same thing this year in training camp. Everyone thinks he's going to make the team next season. It's not going to happen. Just like Despres, he will be the first one sent down because that's their plan. Next year is a new year the deck gets reshuffled. We will see who's still here, Strait, Bortuzzo, Lovejoy, or Niskanen? Strait will be playing in the NHL next season i'm just not sure it will be with the Pens. Just for the record, he is 200lbs, I asked my source. He also tells me that they aren't as in love with Lovejoy as they lead to believe. Another case of saying all the right things to the press.


Last edited by bigd: 03-15-2012 at 10:43 AM.
bigd is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 11:58 AM
  #103
Lamar Latrell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 554
vCash: 500
sina, you say he's too small, but he's the same height and barely lighter than Michalek, an inch to 2 inches shorter than Eaton while less than 10 pounds lighter. And Scuderi isn't all that physical. What if Strait put on 10#s of muscle and weighed 215# at 6'-6'1"? Would he then have the size to be a #4 defensive d-man?

Lamar Latrell is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 12:19 PM
  #104
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,351
vCash: 500


Jeffrey is at least 6'1. Strait is easily 6'0. And despite what you may think Sina, he's quite thick as seen by that photo.

mpp9 is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 12:34 PM
  #105
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post


Jeffrey is at least 6'1. Strait is easily 6'0. And despite what you may think Sina, he's quite thick as seen by that photo.
It's really a moot point. He's the same size as our 5 million dollar D-man and when you watch them on the ice it's tough to tell them apart. Their size and skating stride is very similar and unless your looking right at their backs the #37 & #7 can be hard to tell apart, other than the beard. Martian is not an offensive D-man and Strait could be the same kind of D-man as Martain when he's his age.

bigd is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 12:37 PM
  #106
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
It's really a moot point. He's the same size as our 5 million dollar D-man and when you watch them on the ice it's tough to tell them apart. Their size and skating stride is very similar and unless your looking right at their backs the #37 & #7 can be hard to tell apart, other than the beard. Martian is not an offensive D-man and Strait could be the same kind of D-man as Martain when he's his age.
That's funny you say that because I also got the impression when I saw Strait that he looked similar to Martin in the way he defends.

I even mentioned it in the GDT or Post-game (can't remember which one).

MrBurgundy* is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 12:56 PM
  #107
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
That's funny you say that because I also got the impression when I saw Strait that he looked similar to Martin in the way he defends.

I even mentioned it in the GDT or Post-game (can't remember which one).
Kind of blows Sina's theory out of the water, that a 6'1" 200lbs D-man can't make it in the NHL. We are paying one 5 mill to be a top 4. Strait just turned 24 and Martain is 31. 7 more years of NHL experience can do wonders.


Last edited by bigd: 03-15-2012 at 01:04 PM.
bigd is offline  
Old
03-15-2012, 03:09 PM
  #108
71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Moundsville, WV
Country: United States
Posts: 5,647
vCash: 500
Samuelsson sucked last night, I watched the game.

71 is offline  
Old
03-16-2012, 07:07 AM
  #109
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,744
vCash: 500
So much for the Lovejoy love. With a healthy roster he's back to being a healthy scratch.

bigd is offline  
Old
03-16-2012, 08:16 AM
  #110
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
So much for the Lovejoy love. With a healthy roster he's back to being a healthy scratch.
As it should be too.

MrBurgundy* is offline  
Old
03-16-2012, 08:26 AM
  #111
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
So much for the Lovejoy love. With a healthy roster he's back to being a healthy scratch.
He's good enough to be a full-time NHLer somewhere. Just not here.

More a testament to our depth than a criticism of Lovejoy.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now  
Old
03-16-2012, 10:34 AM
  #112
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
He's good enough to be a full-time NHLer somewhere. Just not here.

More a testament to our depth than a criticism of Lovejoy.
I'm just trying to ruffle Sina's feathers.

bigd is offline  
Old
03-16-2012, 12:04 PM
  #113
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,275
vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post


Jeffrey is at least 6'1. Strait is easily 6'0. And despite what you may think Sina, he's quite thick as seen by that photo.
Strait is clearly wearing high heeled skates.

Sidney the Kidney is offline  
Old
03-16-2012, 01:04 PM
  #114
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
Greetings Pens fans!

Just wanting to pass along some good news about one of your collegiate prospects.

In case any of you missed it, Scott Wilson was named the Hockey East Rookie of the Year. He currently co-leads Lowell and finished the regular season leading all conference rookies. The RiverHawks were bounced from the conference tournament last weekend by Providence College, but they are headed to the NCAA Tournament next weekend.

So a big congrats to Scott.

You can read more about Scott's ROTY honor HERE.

Oilers Chick is offline  
Old
03-16-2012, 01:31 PM
  #115
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Just wanting to pass along some good news about one of your collegiate prospects.

In case any of you missed it, Scott Wilson was named the Hockey East Rookie of the Year. He currently co-leads Lowell and finished the regular season leading all conference rookies. The RiverHawks were bounced from the conference tournament last weekend by Providence College, but they are headed to the NCAA Tournament next weekend.

So a big congrats to Scott.

You can read more about Scott's ROTY honor HERE.
Thanks Oilers Chick, have you been able to watch any of Wilson's games?

wej20 is offline  
Old
03-16-2012, 04:18 PM
  #116
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
I'm just trying to ruffle Sina's feathers.
A noble cause. Carry on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Just wanting to pass along some good news about one of your collegiate prospects.

In case any of you missed it, Scott Wilson was named the Hockey East Rookie of the Year. He currently co-leads Lowell and finished the regular season leading all conference rookies. The RiverHawks were bounced from the conference tournament last weekend by Providence College, but they are headed to the NCAA Tournament next weekend.

So a big congrats to Scott.

You can read more about Scott's ROTY honor HERE.
Beauty! Thanks for the heads up.

Looking at the list, some pretty illustrious players have won the award...Leetch, Kariya, Gionta...even within the last decade there's a decent list of players/prospects...Howard, Purcell, Wilson, Da Costa, Coyle. Good company.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now  
Old
03-16-2012, 05:19 PM
  #117
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,509
vCash: 50
BC and Providence are playing on NBCSports - just tuned about 5 mins ago, but I haven't heard Velischek's name mentioned. some kid named Johnny Gaudreau had a great PP goal.

Crafton is offline  
Old
03-16-2012, 05:45 PM
  #118
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman
 
MainDotC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Morrisville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,742
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Sunday Bingo @ WBS - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?p=46196463 w/ stream

MainDotC is offline  
Old
03-16-2012, 06:48 PM
  #119
Get To Our Game
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Get To Our Game's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,062
vCash: 500
Harrington with some praise:
Quote:
OntarioHockeyLeague ‏ @OHLHockey

#Pens prospect Scott Harrington finished first in two categories for #OHL @GoLondonKnights named Smartest Player, Best Defensive D in West

Get To Our Game is offline  
Old
03-16-2012, 07:08 PM
  #120
maxpenguins6630
Registered User
 
maxpenguins6630's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,569
vCash: 500
Toronto, ON Ė The Ontario Hockey League today announced the results of the Western Conference Coaches Poll for the 2011-12 OHL regular season.



The OHL Coaches Poll provides member club coaches with the opportunity to recognize the top three players in 20 different skill categories within their own conference.



The London Knights lead the way with representation in 15 of the 20 different categories with a total of eight players listed and five first place selections. Scott Harrington, a 19-year-old Kingston, ON, native and Pittsburgh Penguins prospect finished first in two categories including Smartest Player and Best Defensive Defenceman as determined by Western Conference coaches.

maxpenguins6630 is offline  
Old
03-16-2012, 07:09 PM
  #121
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Rejean We Trust View Post
Harrington with some praise:
Just confirms everything we saw at the WJCs. Kid's the best pure defensive prospect we have.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now  
Old
03-16-2012, 07:32 PM
  #122
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
BC and Providence are playing on NBCSports - just tuned about 5 mins ago, but I haven't heard Velischek's name mentioned. some kid named Johnny Gaudreau had a great PP goal.
I'm pretty sure Gaudreau is a Flames prospect. Supposedly has mad skills but unfortunately has the body of a 14 year old boy.


wej20 is offline  
Old
03-16-2012, 07:40 PM
  #123
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,620
vCash: 500
This past draft has some potential to be one of THOSE drafts for us.

JTG is offline  
Old
03-16-2012, 08:19 PM
  #124
Gumbercules
Registered User
 
Gumbercules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,668
vCash: 500
If you look at the voting, Harrington won both categories by a wide margin. It was also a coaches poll, so you can assume the voters know what they are talking about in most cases.

Gumbercules is offline  
Old
03-17-2012, 12:52 AM
  #125
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,275
vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbercules View Post
If you look at the voting, Harrington won both categories by a wide margin. It was also a coaches poll, so you can assume the voters know what they are talking about in most cases.
Poll results.

Quote:
Smartest Player

1. Scott Harrington, London Knights (25)

2. Nick Cousins, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (16)

3. Radek Faksa, Kitchener Rangers (12)
Quote:
Best Defensive Defenceman

1. Scott Harrington, London Knights (38)

2. Beau Schmitz, Plymouth Whalers (11)

3. Cody Sol, Kitchener Rangers tied Keevin Cutting, Owen Sound Attack (9)
Pretty clear what opposing coaches (you can't vote for your own player, as far as I recall) think of Harrington's hockey smarts and defensive play.

Sidney the Kidney is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.