HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospect Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2012, 09:30 AM
sina220*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
In case you didn't get the memo. Samuellson has been sent to Wheeling.
Yea and here's what coach said...

"One personnel note before I go. Philip Samuelsson was sent to Wheeling today. I talked to assistant GM Jason Botterill this afternoon and he said it was a move designed to get him some playing time. Botterill said he thinks Samuelsson is coming along just fine for a 20-year-old first-year pro. He added that the Penguins organization expects to see the greatest improvement in defensemen from their first to second year, like you saw with Brian Strait and Robert Bortuzzo. In other words, if Samuelsson is getting sent to Wheeling next March, you can start to raise red flags. Until then, itís all part of the process."

Ill keep this all in mind though, since so many of you are already willing to write the kid off at such an early stage. And considering the whole bandwagon of anti-samuelsson people in this thread, I'm gonna need a whole truckload of crow to serve up to you goofs next year.

Regarding Bortuzzo, strait and Lovejoy...

If Lovejoy was a goner as you say and straits ready, why not just ship or waive Lovejoy at the deadline? Its because despite what you think our organization realizes the potential still within Benny. Have you seen the last 2 NBC telecasts? Pierre mentioned specifically in the last one about how the organization raved about bennys skating, puck carrying, and lateral mobility. In the previous one Crosby mentioned in the interview Benny is one of the hardest working guys in practice which Pierre rementioned this past weekend. The organization sees the potential and value in a big bodied, intelligent, defender with great wheels. The majority of lovejoys mistakes aren't in coverage, they're either joining the rush too early or getting caught up ice. 1. Easily correctable, and 2. Considering he's been in when letangs out they've probably greenlit him to try and spark some offense.

And I loved the hate Benny was getting on the krecji goal last game. Orpik blows a tire mid-transition and everyone acts like Benny was waaaay outta position. It was a broken play against a good team, it happens.

Also, if straits ahead of bortuzzo on the depth chart, it isn't by much. Hes got seniority going for him as well, which the organization clearly respects. Just look at the way guys like picard, Hutchinson, Williams, etc were brought up early in their years, only to never be seen again. There's a decent chance bortuzzo gets the next call just for rotational purposes.

And lastly, all you people need to stop pretending strait is a "big" or "thick" defender. He's clearly not, go back and rewatch the games Hes one of thee smallest guys on the ice at all times. And if you really want to break it down, he's about the average size of most NHL forwards. Note I said "average", as in mediocre, regular, not really that big at all.

Not that it's impossible for him to be a good defender at that size, but what really does he bring that sets him apart? Nothing. Again, that's why I said if he can become known as a physical presence, ala boullion, he could carve out a niche. As it stands now most all teams can find a more valuable 6th defender. Straits basically scuderi without the physicality, or Eaton without the size. However you want to look at it, he's got less value than either of them did to this team when they were allowed to walk. At least Lovejoy brings a skating and puck carrying ability only martin and letang really posses on the back end right now. For all his improvement, niskanen rarely rushes/handles the puck and despres is still a bit tentative with the puck on his stick.

Old
03-15-2012, 09:52 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sina220 View Post
Yea and here's what coach said...

"One personnel note before I go. Philip Samuelsson was sent to Wheeling today. I talked to assistant GM Jason Botterill this afternoon and he said it was a move designed to get him some playing time. Botterill said he thinks Samuelsson is coming along just fine for a 20-year-old first-year pro. He added that the Penguins organization expects to see the greatest improvement in defensemen from their first to second year, like you saw with Brian Strait and Robert Bortuzzo. In other words, if Samuelsson is getting sent to Wheeling next March, you can start to raise red flags. Until then, itís all part of the process."

Ill keep this all in mind though, since so many of you are already willing to write the kid off at such an early stage. And considering the whole bandwagon of anti-samuelsson people in this thread, I'm gonna need a whole truckload of crow to serve up to you goofs next year.

Regarding Bortuzzo, strait and Lovejoy...

If Lovejoy was a goner as you say and straits ready, why not just ship or waive Lovejoy at the deadline? Its because despite what you think our organization realizes the potential still within Benny. Have you seen the last 2 NBC telecasts? Pierre mentioned specifically in the last one about how the organization raved about bennys skating, puck carrying, and lateral mobility. In the previous one Crosby mentioned in the interview Benny is one of the hardest working guys in practice which Pierre rementioned this past weekend. The organization sees the potential and value in a big bodied, intelligent, defender with great wheels. The majority of lovejoys mistakes aren't in coverage, they're either joining the rush too early or getting caught up ice. 1. Easily correctable, and 2. Considering he's been in when letangs out they've probably greenlit him to try and spark some offense.

And I loved the hate Benny was getting on the krecji goal last game. Orpik blows a tire mid-transition and everyone acts like Benny was waaaay outta position. It was a broken play against a good team, it happens.

Also, if straits ahead of bortuzzo on the depth chart, it isn't by much. Hes got seniority going for him as well, which the organization clearly respects. Just look at the way guys like picard, Hutchinson, Williams, etc were brought up early in their years, only to never be seen again. There's a decent chance bortuzzo gets the next call just for rotational purposes.

And lastly, all you people need to stop pretending strait is a "big" or "thick" defender. He's clearly not, go back and rewatch the games Hes one of thee smallest guys on the ice at all times. And if you really want to break it down, he's about the average size of most NHL forwards. Note I said "average", as in mediocre, regular, not really that big at all.

Not that it's impossible for him to be a good defender at that size, but what really does he bring that sets him apart? Nothing. Again, that's why I said if he can become known as a physical presence, ala boullion, he could carve out a niche. As it stands now most all teams can find a more valuable 6th defender. Straits basically scuderi without the physicality, or Eaton without the size. However you want to look at it, he's got less value than either of them did to this team when they were allowed to walk. At least Lovejoy brings a skating and puck carrying ability only martin and letang really posses on the back end right now. For all his improvement, niskanen rarely rushes/handles the puck and despres is still a bit tentative with the puck on his stick.
You are clueless. You can quote whoever you want in the organization. They own these players rights. Do you really think they are going to bad mouth them to the press? This is a first class organization, they are trained to say all the right things. Just like last years training camp when everyone was raving about how Despres almost made the team. The coach and all the higher ups played along for the press. His carreer has been maped out by the organisation. He wasn't going to make the team out of camp last year or this year but it makes good press. Morrow did the same thing this year in training camp. Everyone thinks he's going to make the team next season. It's not going to happen. Just like Despres, he will be the first one sent down because that's their plan. Next year is a new year the deck gets reshuffled. We will see who's still here, Strait, Bortuzzo, Lovejoy, or Niskanen? Strait will be playing in the NHL next season i'm just not sure it will be with the Pens. Just for the record, he is 200lbs, I asked my source. He also tells me that they aren't as in love with Lovejoy as they lead to believe. Another case of saying all the right things to the press.

Last edited by bigd: 03-15-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old
03-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Lamar Latrell

sina, you say he's too small, but he's the same height and barely lighter than Michalek, an inch to 2 inches shorter than Eaton while less than 10 pounds lighter. And Scuderi isn't all that physical. What if Strait put on 10#s of muscle and weighed 215# at 6'-6'1"? Would he then have the size to be a #4 defensive d-man?

Old
03-15-2012, 12:19 PM
mpp9

Jeffrey is at least 6'1. Strait is easily 6'0. And despite what you may think Sina, he's quite thick as seen by that photo.

Old
03-15-2012, 12:34 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post

Jeffrey is at least 6'1. Strait is easily 6'0. And despite what you may think Sina, he's quite thick as seen by that photo.
It's really a moot point. He's the same size as our 5 million dollar D-man and when you watch them on the ice it's tough to tell them apart. Their size and skating stride is very similar and unless your looking right at their backs the #37 & #7 can be hard to tell apart, other than the beard. Martian is not an offensive D-man and Strait could be the same kind of D-man as Martain when he's his age.

Old
03-15-2012, 12:37 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
It's really a moot point. He's the same size as our 5 million dollar D-man and when you watch them on the ice it's tough to tell them apart. Their size and skating stride is very similar and unless your looking right at their backs the #37 & #7 can be hard to tell apart, other than the beard. Martian is not an offensive D-man and Strait could be the same kind of D-man as Martain when he's his age.
That's funny you say that because I also got the impression when I saw Strait that he looked similar to Martin in the way he defends.

I even mentioned it in the GDT or Post-game (can't remember which one).

Old
03-15-2012, 12:56 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
That's funny you say that because I also got the impression when I saw Strait that he looked similar to Martin in the way he defends.

I even mentioned it in the GDT or Post-game (can't remember which one).
Kind of blows Sina's theory out of the water, that a 6'1" 200lbs D-man can't make it in the NHL. We are paying one 5 mill to be a top 4. Strait just turned 24 and Martain is 31. 7 more years of NHL experience can do wonders.

Last edited by bigd: 03-15-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old
03-15-2012, 03:09 PM

Samuelsson sucked last night, I watched the game.

Old
03-16-2012, 07:07 AM
bigd

So much for the Lovejoy love. With a healthy roster he's back to being a healthy scratch.

Old
03-16-2012, 08:16 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
So much for the Lovejoy love. With a healthy roster he's back to being a healthy scratch.
As it should be too.

Old
03-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
He's good enough to be a full-time NHLer somewhere. Just not here.

More a testament to our depth than a criticism of Lovejoy.

Old
03-16-2012, 10:34 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
He's good enough to be a full-time NHLer somewhere. Just not here.

More a testament to our depth than a criticism of Lovejoy.
I'm just trying to ruffle Sina's feathers.

Old
03-16-2012, 12:04 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post

Strait is clearly wearing high heeled skates.

Old
03-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Greetings Pens fans!

Just wanting to pass along some good news about one of your collegiate prospects.

In case any of you missed it, Scott Wilson was named the Hockey East Rookie of the Year. He currently co-leads Lowell and finished the regular season leading all conference rookies. The RiverHawks were bounced from the conference tournament last weekend by Providence College, but they are headed to the NCAA Tournament next weekend.

So a big congrats to Scott.

You can read more about Scott's ROTY honor HERE.

Old
03-16-2012, 01:31 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Just wanting to pass along some good news about one of your collegiate prospects.

In case any of you missed it, Scott Wilson was named the Hockey East Rookie of the Year. He currently co-leads Lowell and finished the regular season leading all conference rookies. The RiverHawks were bounced from the conference tournament last weekend by Providence College, but they are headed to the NCAA Tournament next weekend.

Thanks Oilers Chick, have you been able to watch any of Wilson's games?

Old
03-16-2012, 04:18 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
I'm just trying to ruffle Sina's feathers.
A noble cause. Carry on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post

Beauty! Thanks for the heads up.

Looking at the list, some pretty illustrious players have won the award...Leetch, Kariya, Gionta...even within the last decade there's a decent list of players/prospects...Howard, Purcell, Wilson, Da Costa, Coyle. Good company.

Old
03-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
BC and Providence are playing on NBCSports - just tuned about 5 mins ago, but I haven't heard Velischek's name mentioned. some kid named Johnny Gaudreau had a great PP goal.

Old
03-16-2012, 05:45 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Sunday Bingo @ WBS - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?p=46196463 w/ stream

Old
03-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Get To Our Game
HFBoards Sponsor

Harrington with some praise:
Quote:
OntarioHockeyLeague ‏ @OHLHockey

#Pens prospect Scott Harrington finished first in two categories for #OHL @GoLondonKnights named Smartest Player, Best Defensive D in West

Old
03-16-2012, 07:08 PM
maxpenguins6630

Toronto, ON Ė The Ontario Hockey League today announced the results of the Western Conference Coaches Poll for the 2011-12 OHL regular season.

The OHL Coaches Poll provides member club coaches with the opportunity to recognize the top three players in 20 different skill categories within their own conference.

The London Knights lead the way with representation in 15 of the 20 different categories with a total of eight players listed and five first place selections. Scott Harrington, a 19-year-old Kingston, ON, native and Pittsburgh Penguins prospect finished first in two categories including Smartest Player and Best Defensive Defenceman as determined by Western Conference coaches.

Old
03-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Rejean We Trust View Post
Harrington with some praise:
Just confirms everything we saw at the WJCs. Kid's the best pure defensive prospect we have.

Old
03-16-2012, 07:32 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
BC and Providence are playing on NBCSports - just tuned about 5 mins ago, but I haven't heard Velischek's name mentioned. some kid named Johnny Gaudreau had a great PP goal.
I'm pretty sure Gaudreau is a Flames prospect. Supposedly has mad skills but unfortunately has the body of a 14 year old boy.

Old
03-16-2012, 07:40 PM
JTG

This past draft has some potential to be one of THOSE drafts for us.

Old
03-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Gumbercules

If you look at the voting, Harrington won both categories by a wide margin. It was also a coaches poll, so you can assume the voters know what they are talking about in most cases.

Old
03-17-2012, 12:52 AM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbercules View Post
If you look at the voting, Harrington won both categories by a wide margin. It was also a coaches poll, so you can assume the voters know what they are talking about in most cases.
Poll results.

Quote:
Smartest Player

1. Scott Harrington, London Knights (25)

2. Nick Cousins, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (16)

3. Radek Faksa, Kitchener Rangers (12)
Quote:
Best Defensive Defenceman

1. Scott Harrington, London Knights (38)

2. Beau Schmitz, Plymouth Whalers (11)

3. Cody Sol, Kitchener Rangers tied Keevin Cutting, Owen Sound Attack (9)
Pretty clear what opposing coaches (you can't vote for your own player, as far as I recall) think of Harrington's hockey smarts and defensive play.

Closed Thread