HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's the general consensus for Gaborik?

Old
03-14-2012, 09:04 AM
Dr Jan Itor

vCash: 500
I've let it go, and now just enjoy watching him as a player. It sucked when he left, but I don't think I ever saw him as a guy who would spend his entire career (or most of it) here.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:05 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Gaborik has passed into "that guy who plays for that other team" territory for me. Although I do get a kind of warm fuzzy feeling whenever the glass groin flares up.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:40 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
I loved him when he played for the Wild, and I was disappointed when he left, especially as we got nothing in return. I don't hate him though, and I'd wish he'd be back some day... Probably just a pipe dream, though.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:49 AM
vitogor

It's almost surreal to think that we once had a guy who could score 35-40 goals with relative ease (and being injured for half a season on top of that).

My feelings toward him now? I wish him well, no more no less.

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

He was my favorite player to watch during his time here. Terribly miss the explosiveness he brought. Haven't seen a talent like that since he left, and not sure we will for a long time unless Granlund exceeds expectations.

I don't think he was held back by Lemaire so much as he was held back by Riser's terrible roster decisions and his own health.

Since he left, haven't really kept tabs on him as much. I don't wish him ill but I can't stand the Rangers so don't enjoy seeing him have so much success.

Watching him on 24/7 though made me kind of sad...back when he was here with Demo, the Wild were a team worth watching and actually played important games down the stretch, plus had a good coach and guys playing hard for each other. I was a huge fan of the team and everything felt pretty fresh and fun. After he left, we've had nothing but crap in almost every aspect aside from a few good weeks this year, and I get more and more disinterested in the team.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:28 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Still have his jersey. I don't blame him for leaving the Wild. He could see the writing on the wall and he left.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:56 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Fletcher didn't even offer him a contract. that is a fact. whatever else anyone wants to add is speculation "he wasn't going to sign here anyway." etc. Obviously his relationship with the old regime wasn't going to help his attitude toward the team regardless of who was at the top, but he actually took a paycut to play in NY if you factor in the 33% (I think) difference in cost of living.
I can't see how this is supposed to help things. If anything it's an even bigger "**** You" to everyone here.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Dudicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
I can't see how this is supposed to help things. If anything it's an even bigger "**** You" to everyone here.
More of a "**** you" to the organization at the time. That decision had nothing to do with the fans or his teammates.

If the Wild had a competent GM who didn't consistently lowball incumbent players in contract talks, assuming they should take a hometown discount because they are privileged enough to play in the "State of Hockey," had competent scouts and drafting, and had a non constant-rebuild mentality, I don't think Gaborik shirks that much money in favor of another team.

Remember, even though it's a game, it's still these guys' careers. Just like none of us like working for a **itty boss, neither do NHL players. Loyalty is has to be earned and reciprocated.

Dudicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:21 PM
BigT2002

I'm just glad he went to a team that I actually enjoy watching and want to see win the cup. I think he had too big of an ego here in MN and it got the best of him.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Jbcraig1883

He was a great offensive player here but he is not a guy I would build a team around. Don't get me wrong, he obviously is an integral part of the NY team but Lundqvist, Callahan, and Dubinsky bring the culture/leadership/character to the team, not Gaborik.

Gaborik plays for himself and only cares about offense. He's a guy I would love to have as a part of my team but, again, he is not a guy I would use to build my team around. You can't count on his health and I don't think he has a lot of heart/guts.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Dampland

vCash: 528
Gabby = Self absorbed "russian" player who only cares for money. Only cared about himself and his stats. Didn't feel he had to play defense, like the other "lesser" player s who had to follow LeMaire's rules.

Used Minnesota to get all of his physical ailments fixed (hello endless Wild surgeries and rehab) Then used the Wild's contract offer to shop around and get him the best deal he could.

So what can I say about Gabby? He can score and he is fast, besides that, a ****** bag.

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:32 AM
Kershaw

Thanks for the replies everyone, it seems like there are mixed feelings to Gaborik's departure, which is understandable. I was absolutely crushed when the Rangers let go of Jagr and our fanbase also gets mixed feelings on him. Some of our fans absolutely despise him now that he's playing for Philadelphia, while others like me, respect what he did for our franchise to make it relevant once again.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:39 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcraig1883 View Post
He was a great offensive player here but he is not a guy I would build a team around. Don't get me wrong, he obviously is an integral part of the NY team but Lundqvist, Callahan, and Dubinsky bring the culture/leadership/character to the team, not Gaborik.

Gaborik plays for himself and only cares about offense. He's a guy I would love to have as a part of my team but, again, he is not a guy I would use to build my team around. You can't count on his health and I don't think he has a lot of heart/guts.
Gaborik is a quiet leader on this team and his play leads by example. He was a libility defensively in his first two seasons as a Ranger, but he's improved immensely to the point where he is actually decent at breaking up plays on the defensive zone when the team is hemmed in. I agree that he isn't a franchise forward, but he's a legitimate 1st line game-breaking talent and the offense would simply be inept without him.

I do agree with you that he isn't a big part of the cultural influence for the Rangers. The three Rangers you listed are pretty much the face of what the Rangers have been post-lockout.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Ovechkid08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Gaborik is a quiet leader on this team and his play leads by example. He was a libility defensively in his first two seasons as a Ranger, but he's improved immensely to the point where he is actually decent at breaking up plays on the defensive zone when the team is hemmed in. I agree that he isn't a franchise forward, but he's a legitimate 1st line game-breaking talent and the offense would simply be inept without him.

I do agree with you that he isn't a big part of the cultural influence for the Rangers. The three Rangers you listed are pretty much the face of what the Rangers have been post-lockout.

Our problem was that we built our entire team around him, Riser was actively acquiring players in order to maximize Gaborik's potential, Demitra is an example of this but also even in the draft. When Gabby's injuries came up all the time the organization responded by drafting supposedly tough physical prospects that, while lacking skill, would be resilient and protect our skilled guy in Gaborik. Our prospects didn't develop well and Gaborik still kept getting injured, the whole team was so inconsistent with Gabby, but Koivu stepped up his play throughout those years and showed he could be solid in every aspect.

Our record when Gaborik was out injured was surprisingly very even with when he was in it, during the mid 2000s our biggest drop offs were when we lost Koivu, not Gaborik to injuries. Essentially we had just decided to build around a player that was too inconsistent and hurt, when he left we had to completely start over from scratch too build around a new core with Koivu and Burns leading the way. Its easy to see Gaborik as a villain, with holdouts and extended recovery times and just walking at the end of his contract so I can understand hating him just as easily as you can understand not wanting to fault him for getting unlucky and injured or not wanting to play for a team that is not winning. People want to blame riser but he too was actually handcuffed by the situation with fans demanding we build around our most talented guy despite him being so injury prone. Now management made plenty of other mistakes but its pretty easy to see in retrospect how bad things got so fast for this organization.

For me, I am glad that he is gone and we are starting to build in a different direction, its taken time and will continue to do so but it really needed to happen. I very much doubt that the Wild would be a contender today if we had re-signed Gaborik even if we could have.

Ovechkid08 is offline   Reply With Quote