HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Trade Proposal Thread ‎2012 2.0

View Poll Results: Would you do the trade?
Do the deal 12 24.00%
Not interested 22 44.00%
Hold out for more 16 32.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Normand Flynn is saying on TSN 990 right now that Montreal should trade Tomas Plekanec + 1st round draft pick in 2012 to Pittsburgh for Jordan Staal, he say's Jordan Staal would make this team better overnight and can be a very good 1st or second line centre.

So...

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Bourque - Staal - Gionta
Moen - Eller - Leblanc
Geoffrion - White - Staubitz

Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Subban
Kaberle - Weber

Price
Budaj

Personally, I would not DO IT because I want the top 3 to 5 pick this year and Plekanec is better than this season.

DISCUSS!!!
Other than being bigger there is nothing Staal can do that Plekanec can't. We'd save close to 1 mil in cap space, but lose a probable top 5 pick.

I'm sure Staal could be a 60-65 point producer with more ice time, but he'd still be a 1b like Plekanec and people would still be complaining taht we don't have atrue 80 point #1 center.

Old
03-15-2012, 01:23 PM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

For all the staal doubters.....he has put up multiple seasons just shy of 50 points. Last year he was on pace for close to 60, this year he's on pace for 37 goals. These past two years he has had some injury trouble so it's understandable that his production drops, but guys...he's 23, and for the most part he's had 3rd line minutes behind arguable the two best centers in the game. If this is his level at age 23 on the 3rd-2nd line, than what does 25,26, 27, 28, 29 look like on a first line. In my opinion he's a patrice bergeron clone, and he was the number one center for the stanley cup champion boston bruins.

Old
03-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
For all the staal doubters.....he has put up multiple seasons just shy of 50 points. Last year he was on pace for close to 60, this year he's on pace for 37 goals. These past two years he has had some injury trouble so it's understandable that his production drops, but guys...he's 23, and for the most part he's had 3rd line minutes behind arguable the two best centers in the game. If this is his level at age 23 on the 3rd-2nd line, than what does 25,26, 27, 28, 29 look like on a first line. In my opinion he's a patrice bergeron clone, and he was the number one center for the stanley cup champion boston bruins.
I'd rather not trade Plekanec and the 1st for Staal, if we do trade that pick it would need to bring back a Top line Winger.

How about Plekanec, a 2nd and Kristo for Staal
And then our 1st pick + for a player like Bobby Ryan or deal for Dustin Brown

Ryan Staal Gionta
Pax DD Cole
Leblanc Eller Moen
Geoff White Staubitz

Old
03-15-2012, 01:54 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Normand Flynn speaks english?

Old
03-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
I'd rather not trade Plekanec and the 1st for Staal, if we do trade that pick it would need to bring back a Top line Winger.

How about Plekanec, a 2nd and Kristo for Staal
And then our 1st pick + for a player like Bobby Ryan or deal for Dustin Brown

Ryan Staal Gionta
Pax DD Cole
Leblanc Eller Moen
Geoff White Staubitz
Makes no sense to trade Plekanec and 2 assets for Staal. Plekanec has had seasons of 69 and 70 points. Stall MIGHT do that if given the opportunity. Makes no sense to deal Plekanec plus 2 assets hoping Staal can come close to being a #1 center.

Spend the assets finding a legit 1st line winger(Semin? Parise?).

Old
03-15-2012, 01:58 PM
habsfan92

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Normand Flynn always gives the worst advice. Every time I listen to him on Tony's show I'm shaking my head and yelling at the radio. I don't even know why Tony gives him airtime. I would never ever trade that 1st rounder for Staal not even if Pleks wasn't involved in the deal. Like most have pointed out, Staal is a 3rd line C (given he's a 3rd liner on the team with the 2 best C in the league but still) and a UFA next yr. The 1st rounder could land us a big centre that is better, younger and much cheaper than Staal.
Yes, with this statement I agree.

Old
03-15-2012, 02:00 PM
habsfan92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Makes no sense to trade Plekanec and 2 assets for Staal. Plekanec has had seasons of 69 and 70 points. Stall MIGHT do that if given the opportunity. Makes no sense to deal Plekanec plus 2 assets hoping Staal can come close to being a #1 center.

Are you saying that Pleks is better than Staal, or that Pleks is worth more trade-wise than Staal? Whats the angle?

Old
03-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

You definitely need to overpay for a guy like Staal and I doubt Pittsbugh even would be interested in Plekanec I'd think they'd rather get a winger in return.

Old
03-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan92 View Post
Are you saying that Pleks is better than Staal, or that Pleks is worth more trade-wise than Staal? Whats the angle?
Pleks is proven. He has proven he can produce at a 1st line level(2 years), Staal has not PLUS it was suggested we would give up other assets.

We have much bigger holes on the wing that at center. we can win with our top 3 centers if Eller keeps developping but we need another top 6 winger. You can't expect 70 points from Plekanec palying with Darche, Moen or White.

Old
03-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Prairie Habs

Not to distract people from all the staal talk but I read from a preds fan on the trade board that with radulov coming back they may look to move hornqvist for picks. I think he would be the perfect third player for the plek-gio line so what would you be willing to give up? I would take the gamble and move our 2013 first as I think adding him, markov and the progress from our young players should put us well into the playoff picture. Also with our performance this year our first may carry much more value now then it will end up with when actually used. Thoughts?

Old
03-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
Not to distract people from all the staal talk but I read from a preds fan on the trade board that with radulov coming back they may look to move hornqvist for picks. I think he would be the perfect third player for the plek-gio line so what would you be willing to give up? I would take the gamble and move our 2013 first as I think adding him, markov and the progress from our young players should put us well into the playoff picture. Also with our performance this year our first may carry much more value now then it will end up with when actually used. Thoughts?
If Radulov comes back past this yaer I think they'll either let Suter walk or trade one of Radulov or Weber. I don't see the point of trading picks for Hornqvist, there are players as good on the UFA market.

Old
03-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Guilliam

The difference between Plekanec and Staal is not worth our Top10/Top5 first round pick.

No deal

Old
03-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Yea sure let's sacrifice futur star Grigorenko for Jordan Staal.

I like Staal but he's never racked up the points.

Old
03-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
And draft McKinnon in 2013.

I would never ever make that deal, who the **** would play in goal ? Please don't talk about Harding or other UFAs... look at where this train of thoughts brought TB.
If you get that much in return you worry about the goalie later and think about a goalie deal. Maybe ship JVR to LA for Bernier, maybe?

Old
03-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
If you get that much in return you worry about the goalie later and think about a goalie deal. Maybe ship JVR to LA for Bernier, maybe?
What has Bernier proven at the NHL level.

Nice potential but the kid hasn't done a damn thing.

Old
03-16-2012, 03:09 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
What has Bernier proven at the NHL level.

Nice potential but the kid hasn't done a damn thing.
Then you sign a good backup just in case. Come on it's not everyday that you can get some much in return. If Flyers give you JVR and Couturier for Price you take it and run.

Old
03-16-2012, 07:01 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Then you sign a good backup just in case. Come on it's not everyday that you can get some much in return. If Flyers give you JVR and Couturier for Price you take it and run.
I guess it depends on where you see both players. I like Couturier but the last 2 years he's looked a lot more like Eller than like Getzlaf or H.Sedin. Same for JVR.

With Price he's shown he can be a difference maker if surrounded by a team that gives him a chance.

Old
03-16-2012, 10:00 AM
frederixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Normand Flynn is saying on TSN 990 right now that Montreal should trade Tomas Plekanec + 1st round draft pick in 2012 to Pittsburgh for Jordan Staal, he say's Jordan Staal would make this team better overnight and can be a very good 1st or second line centre.
A top 5 pick + Plekanec for Staal? Exactly the kind of trade Houle or Milbury would do

in 6 seasons, Staal never got more than 49pts. I don't care if he plays behind Crosby and Malkin (both were injured for a large amount of time).

Flynn is just another lunatic

Old
03-17-2012, 07:17 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Normand Flynn always gives the worst advice. Every time I listen to him on Tony's show I'm shaking my head and yelling at the radio. I don't even know why Tony gives him airtime. I would never ever trade that 1st rounder for Staal not even if Pleks wasn't involved in the deal. Like most have pointed out, Staal is a 3rd line C (given he's a 3rd liner on the team with the 2 best C in the league but still) and a UFA next yr. The 1st rounder could land us a big centre that is better, younger and much cheaper than Staal.
Exactly!! We've traded enough first round picks lately ie. McDonogh, Carlson. Time to learn from our mistakes! Timmins could hit a homerun with this pick. Highest we have picked since Carey Price, 7 years ago.

Old
03-17-2012, 10:45 PM
Kobe Armstrong

vCash: 713
What do you think the values are on these trades straight up?

Montreal Pittsburgh

Plekanec vs. Staal

Subban vs. Letang

Paccioretty vs. Neal

Price vs. Fleury

Gorges vs. Orpik

Old
03-17-2012, 11:04 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Exactly!! We've traded enough first round picks lately ie. McDonogh, Carlson. Time to learn from our mistakes! Timmins could hit a homerun with this pick. Highest we have picked since Carey Price, 7 years ago.
Who's this Carlson you speaking about ? We never drafted a Carlson recently...

Old
03-17-2012, 11:16 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
Maybe he means we would've drafted the Captials' Carlson if we hadn't traded that 1st for Tanguay? ...

Old
03-18-2012, 07:09 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
John Carlson...defenseman playing for the Capitals...player Timmins was targeting in first round of '08 draft before Gainey traded our pick and another pick for Tanguay.

Old
03-18-2012, 06:21 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
What do you guys feel about trading for OV for our 1st round pick? If Washington misses the playoff they may look to shake things up, and OV has really not been himself and wonder if he may never find his game again in Washington. I don't think we could trade our 1st for OV straight, but what would it take/would we do it and if we can get him cheap enough, would you do it?

I have always been a fan of his, and I can't say for certain that he will break out of this slump he has been in for 2 years (he was a 50 goal scorer for 5 years prior to 30 in the last 2)(yes i know one year it was 46).

I just keep looking at the prospects and don't see the OV type, but I could be wrong, I am definitely no scout.

Old
03-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
What do you guys feel about trading for OV for our 1st round pick? If Washington misses the playoff they may look to shake things up, and OV has really not been himself and wonder if he may never find his game again in Washington. I don't think we could trade our 1st for OV straight, but what would it take/would we do it and if we can get him cheap enough, would you do it?

I have always been a fan of his, and I can't say for certain that he will break out of this slump he has been in for 2 years (he was a 50 goal scorer for 5 years prior to 30 in the last 2)(yes i know one year it was 46).

I just keep looking at the prospects and don't see the OV type, but I could be wrong, I am definitely no scout.
Our Top 1-7 Draft pick for OV ... makes sense.

Closed Thread