HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Potential Rule Changes

Old
03-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Fantom

vCash: 500
Potential Rule Changes

I saw this this morning. Wanted to share
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...eakaway-groups

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

HYBRID ICING
Been used so long in Europe, it's absolutely a normal part of the international game. Fact is, it's MUCH safer. It also saves time.

However, let there be no doubt that it alters the game a bit. There's no more dumping the long pass into the corner for a faster forward teammate, which actually doesn't happen much anyway.

HAND PASSES IN DEFENSIVE ZONE
Butchie feels they should be allowed everywhere. If they're not allowed in the defensive zone, that'll DEFINITELY make the job of defensive players even more difficult. No doubt in my mind about that one, especially when bodies are piling up in the goal crease or a player loses his stick.

This rule would, IMHO, have a definite impact on how things are done in one's own zone.

CHANGES ON THE FLY
Sounds like one more thing that will make the refs' job even more difficult. In addition, different rinks tend to have different bench dimensions.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
HYBRID ICING
Been used so long in Europe, it's absolutely a normal part of the international game. Fact is, it's MUCH safer. It also saves time.

However, let there be no doubt that it alters the game a bit. There's no more dumping the long pass into the corner for a faster forward teammate, which actually doesn't happen much anyway.

HAND PASSES IN DEFENSIVE ZONE
Butchie feels they should be allowed everywhere. If they're not allowed in the defensive zone, that'll DEFINITELY make the job of defensive players even more difficult. No doubt in my mind about that one, especially when bodies are piling up in the goal crease or a player loses his stick.

This rule would, IMHO, have a definite impact on how things are done in one's own zone.

CHANGES ON THE FLY
Sounds like one more thing that will make the refs' job even more difficult. In addition, different rinks tend to have different bench dimensions.
i like the idea of a hand pass change

Old
03-13-2012, 01:36 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

I like all three, but hybrid icing the most.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:48 AM
Ziggy16

they pretty much are moving foward with hybrid icing, they are just hammering out the wording for the BOGs

they want to have a non video officiating review for goalie interference (all 4 refs meet up after a disputed goalie interference play, and could reverse the call if another official had a better angle of it.. but NO VIDEO REVIEW)

they wont change anything else they said

Ziggy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 07:20 AM
leaponover

bear hugs, lmao.. Burke is a funny silly man...

Here is this for a rule I've been dying to see as being a hockey fan for decades:

The game does not end when the team in the lead is shorthanded.

The gist of this is, too many time the attacking team is down by a goal and pulls their goalie to tie the game and all sorts of liberties are taken in the last 5 secs because the team doesn't care if they end up in the box. You see horrific penalties left and right with no recourse.

Sure there are bugs to work out, for instance blowouts... and the like but it seriously needs to be considered. You should not be able to cross check, slash, put your hand over the puck in the last 10 secs to preserve a lead without a full 2 minute penalty being served...

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:27 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
bear hugs, lmao.. Burke is a funny silly man...

Here is this for a rule I've been dying to see as being a hockey fan for decades:

The game does not end when the team in the lead is shorthanded.

The gist of this is, too many time the attacking team is down by a goal and pulls their goalie to tie the game and all sorts of liberties are taken in the last 5 secs because the team doesn't care if they end up in the box. You see horrific penalties left and right with no recourse.

Sure there are bugs to work out, for instance blowouts... and the like but it seriously needs to be considered. You should not be able to cross check, slash, put your hand over the puck in the last 10 secs to preserve a lead without a full 2 minute penalty being served...
That rule while sounds all nice and fluffy would have way to many kinks to work out. Also i do not think something like that would ever get approved

Old
03-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Ziggy16

a rule like that would have to have a ton of contingencies...

like if the team on the PP takes a penalty themselves, then the game ends right then and there .. the if the defending team takes a 2nd penalty, then the game ends following the conclusion of the 5 on 3, but if the team on The PP takes a penalty during the 5 on 3, the game ends at the end of the 1st penalty, the penalty they took will essientially wipe out the 2nd call no matter how much time difference there is..

thats jsut a few bugs with such a rule...

Old
03-14-2012, 06:49 PM
LAIslanderFan

I would like to see them get rid of the trapezoid behind the goal. It looks ridiculous watching goalies trying to navigate that area when the puck is shot in. Reminds me more of a gameshow moment then a hockey game.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 07:18 PM
Ziggy16

that was in discussions this week but the gms voted to leave it alone... they feel the hybrid icing rule should counteract the need for goalies playing it...

Old
03-14-2012, 07:33 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
That rule while sounds all nice and fluffy would have way to many kinks to work out. Also i do not think something like that would ever get approved
Never a such thing as "too many kinks to work out" That's like saying let's not come up with any rules at all because we won't be able to adjust them. It could happen. Would it ever get approved. Depends on how the kinks are worked out. I still think it's good for conversation purposes because the crap that happens in the last 30 secs is a bit ridiculous and eventually someone is going to get their head sawed off...

Old
03-14-2012, 07:37 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy16 View Post
a rule like that would have to have a ton of contingencies...

like if the team on the PP takes a penalty themselves, then the game ends right then and there .. the if the defending team takes a 2nd penalty, then the game ends following the conclusion of the 5 on 3, but if the team on The PP takes a penalty during the 5 on 3, the game ends at the end of the 1st penalty, the penalty they took will essientially wipe out the 2nd call no matter how much time difference there is..

thats jsut a few bugs with such a rule...
If you word the rule like I did, that's already built in. The wording is "the game cannot end while the team in the lead is shorthanded".

If at any point they are no longer shorthanded the game ends. Easy peasy. But yes there are a ton of other things to work out like I said. If the team is up by 2 or 3 goals it really should just end... things along those lines...

Old
03-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Ziggy16

the exception to that 2 or 3 goal rule would be , if a 5 min major is commited.. since you can score multiple times in those 5 minutes.. but were beating a dead bush here.. a rule like this will never happen..

Old
03-14-2012, 08:42 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Basically, there's three grabbers, three taggers, five twig runners, and a player at Whackbat. Center tagger lights a pine cone and chucks it over the basket and the whack-batter tries to hit the cedar stick off the cross rock. Then the twig runners dash back and forth until the pine cone burns out and the umpire calls hotbox. Finally, you count up however many score-downs it adds up to and divide that by nine.

Its going to be a great season!!!!

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:26 PM
nystromshairstylist
Scoring at will

My longstanding hope and prayer: olympic size rinks.

They would solve a lot of other problems, and are looooong overdue.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:41 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

It's unreal that they talk about this hybrid icing rule when the real culprit is that stupid trapezoid! Get rid of it! Putting that trapezoid there basically declared open season on d-men going for the puck deep in their zone. I realize it doesn't work with icing since the goalie wouldn't come out to play the puck anyway but take away the trapezoid and half the problem is solved. Take that out, implement hybrid icing as well and be done with it.

I'm just thankful that the whole "put the red line back in" crap didn't gain any traction. I honestly think the game would be un-watchable if the red line were brought back. Talk about killing any flow to the game. **** that.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote