HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Hanzal, Morris, Chipchura, Schlemko all on the road trip

Old
03-13-2012, 05:37 PM
awfulwaffle

vCash: 500
Hanzal, Morris, Chipchura, Schlemko all on the road trip

Per twitter:

‏@davest4yotes

Martin Hanzal, Derek Morris, Kyle Chipchura & David Schlemko all went with #Coyotes on 4-game trip. Team is getting healthy at right time.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 05:45 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

I saw all of them except Hanzal at yesterday's morning practice.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 06:07 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by frackiewicz View Post
I saw all of them except Hanzal at yesterday's morning practice.
It's a great problem to have, that's for sure. And I'd like to think that Vermette's job isn't safe. Since our callup, the 4th line has been producing and creating problems for the other team. If Hanzal comes back, I'd like to see Pouliat(spelling) in the game and Vermette sat. I"m not saying Vermette is bad, just that he has had chances and hasn't delivered, where as the line with Pouliat has been. Maybe spark a fire under Vermette.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 06:22 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
It's a great problem to have, that's for sure. And I'd like to think that Vermette's job isn't safe. Since our callup, the 4th line has been producing and creating problems for the other team. If Hanzal comes back, I'd like to see Pouliat(spelling) in the game and Vermette sat. I"m not saying Vermette is bad, just that he has had chances and hasn't delivered, where as the line with Pouliat has been. Maybe spark a fire under Vermette.
Vermette has 3 points in last 4 games.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 06:36 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Vermette's doing just fine. Yeah, he's a skilled guy who should be cashing in more than he is. So is Vrbata, the guy is goalless is 10 games. Vermette wins faceoffs, something that I think we're starting to take for granted if people seem to think we'd be better without him in the lineup (for a game.)

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 07:58 PM
hbk

I remember the first 10 games we had with Whitney. He was absolutely horrid during that stretch. Now... he's our best forward. Takes some time to adjust to a new system. Vermette has elements to his game that make him extremely valuable to this franchise. We're a better team with him.

Old
03-13-2012, 08:45 PM
zerekstar

Vermette will be fine once the adjustment has been made. Next year he will be a key guy for us. But I do agree, Pouliot has been exceeding expectations. He will be a great one to have in the wings for a call up if we make the playoffs. Honestly, Langkow is the one I'm concerned with and I mean him no disrespect. He was good in his day but he is no longer that player. I guess a broken neck will do that to you.

zerekstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:50 AM
okiepig

Vermette is not the problem, he has been in position, creating ice space and crashing the net.. without the pipe shots, disallowed goals and sheer bad luck as others have been having, he would have at least six or seven goals already.. once he gets comfortable with regular line mates he will be just fine... his hockey sense is pretty darn good...
figure most guys like him go through a dry spell, look at Verbata or Shane Doan for examples..

okiepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:53 PM
knowsthegame

I hope you guys are right about Vermette. I have been to every home game since we got him and he has been losing all the important faceoffs. His drop passes have been causing turnovers, and he looks bad on the PP.
Maybe some of this is the adjustment period, but so far I have been underwhelmed.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:54 PM
knowsthegame

I forgot to mention the penalties he has been taking.

Old
03-14-2012, 03:00 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

im confident vermette will adjust and be a solid player. we just need realistic expectations. it looks like he tops out at 50 points for a good year and probably around 40 usually. expecting 60+ points will lead to disappointment probably even though his salary suggests he should.

very few players are going to for right in the way brule has. Vermette will find his groove.

Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 03:35 PM
moosemeister

I love the comparison to Whitney. I wanted him gone last year. But now I would love for him to sign again

moosemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 04:03 PM
XX
... Waiting

Vermette is going from totally chaotic and unstructured situation in Columbus to one of the most rigid systems in the NHL. Give him time. The stench of Columbus needs to wear off. Defensively he has been great. I remember him diving to get a deflection on a shot, saving a clear goal.

He's with us beyond this year, so get used to him.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 04:12 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Whitney also had a hand injury that also played a part in the poor start last year.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoyote View Post
expecting 60+ points will lead to disappointment probably even though his salary suggests he should.
You think $3.75M salary suggests 60+ points? Not even mentioning the other aspects of Vermette's game....that's ridiculous.

What does Doan's salary suggest to you? PPG?

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
You think $3.75M salary suggests 60+ points? Not even mentioning the other aspects of Vermette's game....that's ridiculous.

What does Doan's salary suggest to you? PPG?
I think people would expect more than 9 goals and 30 points in 70 games. My original statement was not very clear and that's my fault. I don't think his salary suggests he should score more than sixty but it seems like some may.

korpi has 15 goals and 32 points for half the salary. vrbata has 30 goals and 50+ points for a similar salary.

i appreciate what he brings in addition to scoring but i dont think a lot of people do. im not referring to anyone on this board.

30 points and intangibles=overpaid

45 points and intangibles=paycheck earned

60 points and intangibles= underpaid.

Im not sure people would be happy with a 13 goal 30 assist season out of him. Im just saying thats in the range of what we should expect

Old
03-14-2012, 07:33 PM
theoriginal55

I wish Tippett would give Vermette a chance on the shoot-out.

theoriginal55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 07:59 PM
hbk

Quote:
I think people would expect more than 9 goals and 30 points in 70 games. My original statement was not very clear and that's my fault. I don't think his salary suggests he should score more than sixty but it seems like some may.

korpi has 15 goals and 32 points for half the salary. vrbata has 30 goals and 50+ points for a similar salary.

i appreciate what he brings in addition to scoring but i dont think a lot of people do. im not referring to anyone on this board.

30 points and intangibles=overpaid

45 points and intangibles=paycheck earned

60 points and intangibles= underpaid.

Im not sure people would be happy with a 13 goal 30 assist season out of him. Im just saying thats in the range of what we should expect
I wouldn't use Maloney's barbain bin finds as true reflections on the marketplace.

Last year a highly inconsistent but skilled and frequently injured Center in Tim Connolly was signed to a contract worth $5 million per. We picked up Daymond Lankgow in the final year of a deal that pays him $4.5 million this year. That's the market for a top two line Center that you can find (if they even make it to the market) as a UFA. Vermette comes cheaper than that cost.

Old
03-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

and belanger scored 40 points last year while earning less than a million. people may wonder if maloney can get that kind of production out of 750k why he should pay vermette 5x that.

I dont have a problem with his salary, I just wanted people to have realistic expectations for a third line center.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:09 PM
hbk

Quote:
and belanger scored 40 points last year while earning less than a million. people may wonder if maloney can get that kind of production out of 750k why he should pay vermette 5x that.

I dont have a problem with his salary, I just wanted people to have realistic expectations for a third line center.
Oiler fans are looking for a bag of pucks for Belanger this year. They would give him away for free if they could.

Vermette will find a home on our top 2 lines.

Old
03-15-2012, 08:03 AM
Louiss

Vermette is a good 2nd line center.

Louiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:31 PM
knowsthegame

Vermette had a great game last night against Vancouver - 1 g, 2 a.
I don't mind eating humble pie. Bring it on.

Old
03-15-2012, 02:15 PM
okiepig

Yeah, we are starting to see what he is capable of- also keep in mind he doesn't spend much time in rehab for injuries.. I expect once he finds the right linemates we will see what we saw last night more often than not.. you can teach fundamental skills but ice vision and creativity are god given talents, he is going to be as good a move as getting Whitney turned out to be..

okiepig is offline   Reply With Quote