HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Roster

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2012, 10:23 AM
Broad Street Elite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Interesting, but that's definitely a number we can live with. Homer said if he lands a big time dman free agent, he has salary he can move. I believe that would be Mez, but nobody knows but him.

I could live with this Roster!

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jaromir Jagr ($3.300m)
Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Jakub Voracek ($3.000m)
Matt Read ($0.900m) / Eric Wellwood ($0.580m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m)
/ / Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m)

DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Ryan Suter ($6.750m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Nicklas Grossman ($3.225m)
Erik Gustafsson ($0.900m) / Pavel Kubina ($3.000m)
Andreas Lilja ($0.737m)

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.666m) / Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $65,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,871,944; BONUSES: $3,555,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,183,056
This roster looks good. Only things that stand out as potential issues are the AAV for Suter (could go higher by .5) and Kubina could be looking for slightly more than 3M (maybe what Grossmann is getting). Moving Bob frees up a little more cash if necessary.

Most reasonable line-up I've seen proposed.

I think Holmgren was serious about potentially moving a forward to bolster the effort to get Suter. Since we can go 10% over the cap (which is fairly projected at 65M), the Flyers could conceivably sign Suter as high as 7.25-7.5, then moving Voracek for a draft pick to make the numbers work. Not advocating for this, but to me, signing Suter is worth playing Read on the 3rd line and Wellwood + Rinaldo (or a more veteran UFA grinder like Moen, Gaustad, etc)

Old
03-15-2012, 10:45 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Gotta remember though, defensive d-men typically dont get paid as much as a puck moving player gets paid. I think he will get 3.0 pretty much on the dot. He honestly has no offensive ability which will lower his pricing a bit.
untrue. There are quite a few defensive d men making 4mil. Off the too if my head...Gleason, scuderi, mikhaleck (sp..the pitt d man)....Brayden Coburn.... Others like jay McKee, Scott hannan got paid in their 27-32 age time.
Grossman will get 3.5 minumum from someone...as high as 4 possibly. I guess Dallas thought they were done...because with the way he's played for us I'm not sure why he was moved.

Old
03-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
I guess Dallas thought they were done...because with the way he's played for us I'm not sure why he was moved.
For whatever reason, Grossmann was not playing as well for Dallas as he is for us now. Most fans said that he had regressed for them this year. Sometimes, a trade to a new market/city/organization can be motivation to show your best.

Old
03-15-2012, 11:02 AM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
1.8m for Grossmann is a joke. He could go for as much as twice that and will easily be over 3m/year. 2.5M for voracek, also not happening.

8 defensemen?
i see voracek getting the qualifier and negotiating a long term next year. they just havent had the eyes on him that justify a contract on potential.

grossmann is a guy id be interested in resigning but not a priority. hes a defensive addition after suter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
as much as I would love to see pronger healthy and playing again I think that would be a very poor decision for him personally. I think even if he makes a full recovery by next year or whatever that he'll decide to stay out just because of the risk of reoccurrence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
It would also be a very poor decision to base our offseason on the possibility that he might return.
I think we abslutely need to allow for his cap to be on the books whether or not hes healthy to start the year. if he decides he wants to play i dont think hes the type to accept the rathje treatment. if the ltir space is there near the deadline spend it then. ther should be enough available to make a quality upgrade without blowing the budget

Old
03-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Stizzle

No way we can build a team with Pronger money on the books, then use it at the trade deadline if he isn't back. That is suicidal. You have to have this figured out by July 1. My inclination is they both already know it's over. He will be Rathje'd. If Pronger doesn't go along with this and may try to come back, we are screwed. I doubt he'd put us in that sort of spot though. That would be pretty selfish.

Old
03-15-2012, 11:35 AM
ORYX

IMO if Nashville gets Radulov back, Suter becomes a Pipe Dream of sorts. Also, I think if he isnt signed prior to July 1, he may wait a few days to decide where he wants to go based on the potential moves Nashville makes.

He's stated he wants to see them improve offensively before deciding, and that is evident by his not signing yet despite the multiple reports of open offers on the table. If they get Radulov back for nothing essentially, it would be silly to continue penciling him into these projected line-ups.

In fact pencilling in anyone not currently on the team or within its system is silly, not to mention some of the fantasy land cap hits. Seriously, Suter at $6 per? Maybe when pigs fly....

Old
03-15-2012, 12:02 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
IMO if Nashville gets Radulov back, Suter becomes a Pipe Dream of sorts. Also, I think if he isnt signed prior to July 1, he may wait a few days to decide where he wants to go based on the potential moves Nashville makes.

He's stated he wants to see them improve offensively before deciding, and that is evident by his not signing yet despite the multiple reports of open offers on the table. If they get Radulov back for nothing essentially, it would be silly to continue penciling him into these projected line-ups.

In fact pencilling in anyone not currently on the team or within its system is silly, not to mention some of the fantasy land cap hits. Seriously, Suter at $6 per? Maybe when pigs fly....
I've been saying this for a while (well not the whole thing with Radulov). They have an all-star caliber goalie locked up long term. They currently have two all-star D-men, one of which is still an RFA. They have an average to above average offense as it is plus possibly the addition of Radulov who has put up great numbers in the KHL. So the fans are coming, they have a good team and will only get better with some of the prospects they have in the system and they have plenty of cap space. I can't possibly image them letting Suter walk. I think the Flyers need to plan for a future without Pronger or Suter.

Old
03-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
They have an average to above average offense as it is
I think we should reserve that statement until after the playoffs.

I firmly believe that how far Nashville goes this year will go a long way towards defining whether he resigns with Nashville or not and that assumes that the rumors are true that they aren't looking for some hometown discount.

I agree that the Flyers should not RELY on signing Suter, but there's no reason a franchise like ours shouldn't go balls to the wall for a guy to fill our biggest need. I'd have no issue with going over the cap to get him, then working out the numbers via trade once we're done. I actually don't believe that the Preds are willing to go to 7.25 AAV for Suter.

Old
03-15-2012, 12:27 PM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Spoiler alert: Don't get into watching Dallas, the whole last season is a dream sequence.
That would explain why the Stars were willing to give us a great D which Grossmannnn is. They thought it was just a dream

Old
03-15-2012, 12:51 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
untrue. There are quite a few defensive d men making 4mil. Off the too if my head...Gleason, scuderi, mikhaleck (sp..the pitt d man)....Brayden Coburn.... Others like jay McKee, Scott hannan got paid in their 27-32 age time.
Grossman will get 3.5 minumum from someone...as high as 4 possibly. I guess Dallas thought they were done...because with the way he's played for us I'm not sure why he was moved.
Gotta see the scenarios though. Michalek, Gleason, Scuderi, and Coburn have produced higher offensive numbers than Grossmann ever has. Grossmann's highest total is 12. Also, Michalek and Scuderi were coveted during FA, when it seems like Grossmann might not be (to early to tell). Gleason is on another level, for he is considered to be one of Carolina's best defenseman, averaging over 20 minutes a game.

Old
03-15-2012, 01:12 PM
Larry44

Quote:
I can't possibly image them letting Suter walk. I think the Flyers need to plan for a future without Pronger or Suter.
This.

Suter said the wanted Poile to show commitment to winning at the deadline and the GM went out and got some key pieces - arguably making the best moves of all the teams who did.

Kostitsyn is producing, and so is little brother. Hal Gill is Hall Gill and Paul Gaustad is just what they needed for a big checking C. Add Radulov to that mix and they are going to be a very tough out.

We aren't getting Suter or Weber, and Pronger isn't coming back, so let's just move on and re-sign Carle and Grossmann. I'd love to keep Kubina too, but the numbers might not work and we might need to find a taker for Lilja if we want to keep Gus in the organization.

Carle - Meszaros
Grossman-Coburn
Timonen-Kubina???

? Gustafsson-Lilja

Let's see how the rest of this year pans out and go from there. Lavy said some very nice things about Matt Carle on FlyersTV the other day.

Old
03-15-2012, 01:24 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
This.

Suter said the wanted Poile to show commitment to winning at the deadline and the GM went out and got some key pieces - arguably making the best moves of all the teams who did.

Kostitsyn is producing, and so is little brother. Hal Gill is Hall Gill and Paul Gaustad is just what they needed for a big checking C. Add Radulov to that mix and they are going to be a very tough out.

We aren't getting Suter or Weber, and Pronger isn't coming back, so let's just move on and re-sign Carle and Grossmann. I'd love to keep Kubina too, but the numbers might not work and we might need to find a taker for Lilja if we want to keep Gus in the organization.

Carle - Meszaros
Grossman-Coburn
Timonen-Kubina???

? Gustafsson-Lilja

Let's see how the rest of this year pans out and go from there. Lavy said some very nice things about Matt Carle on FlyersTV the other day.
Handcuffing yourself with all of carle, coburn, and mezsaros long term is a recepie for mediocre D with no flexibility moving forward.

That is not good enough for your core D

Old
03-15-2012, 01:27 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Handcuffing yourself with all of carle, coburn, and mezsaros long term is a recepie for mediocre D with no flexibility moving forward.

That is not good enough for your core D
We honestly REALLY need to find ourselves a #1 defender. Pronger is done and I cant see Timonen going for more than 1-2 more years. Coburn, Grossmann and Meszaros are solid to have in the top 4. Grab a #1 somehow (maybe draft and in 2 years he is ready), or go through trading (we will have to trade one of our top 6/9 forwards such as JVR) but it will be worth it. Really hoping Grossmann turned a corner from Dallas and this isnt just temporary. If he has turned the corner, he is a top 4 20+ minute guy who will play some solid defense. Resign Kubina for a year or so, and let him play on the 3rd pairing with a guy like Gustafsson or Manning (I see Manning in the same game build as Kubina so I dont know if that would work).

I think Timonen is still pretty good but we really need to find a replacement. The Coburn/Meszaros/Carle/Grossmann are not #1 guys to carry the team on one's back. Meszaros needs to be better though. He has had a pretty bad season.

Last edited by sa cyred: 03-15-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old
03-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Broad Street Elite

Even if we don't get Suter, there's just no way you can justify re-signing Carle. I'm sorry, but not getting the guy you want doesn't justify giving Carle 5+ million dollars. I'd rather sign Grossmann, Kubina and Allen/Stuart/B. Jackman for less money and less term. Looking at 2013, it's a stronger defenseman crop in free agency anyhow.

Old
03-15-2012, 01:36 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

But I do think Homer will be making a run for Suter. If I remember correctly I remember reading an article a few weeks ago where Homer said something along the line of he is willing to make trades to go after a all-star defender this summer. One has got to think he is talking about Suter.

Old
03-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I would rather severe my left foot off than pay Carle over 3.5 million a season

Old
03-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I would rather severe my left foot off than pay Carle over 3.5 million a season
3.5M for him is a good price. Very good price. Even with all his issues. He still blocks, he still skates and he still produces points.

At 3.5 we can always find a taker for him too if we decide to go different direction.

Old
03-15-2012, 02:09 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 555
Quote:
I've been saying this for a while (well not the whole thing with Radulov). They have an all-star caliber goalie locked up long term. They currently have two all-star D-men, one of which is still an RFA. They have an average to above average offense as it is plus possibly the addition of Radulov who has put up great numbers in the KHL. So the fans are coming, they have a good team and will only get better with some of the prospects they have in the system and they have plenty of cap space. I can't possibly image them letting Suter walk. I think the Flyers need to plan for a future without Pronger or Suter.
Then Nashville's best interest would be re-signing Suter, tendering Weber, and then shopping him for a boatload of picks/prospects/studs with good contracts. Something like a 2012 1st, vanRiemsdyk, depth picks and a prospect

Old
03-15-2012, 02:24 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Jakub Voracek ($3.200m)
Matt Read ($0.900m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m)
Eric Wellwood ($0.580m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m)
Jody Shelley ($1.100m)

DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Ryan Suter ($8.300m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Nicklas Grossman ($3.200m)
Pavel Kubina ($3.500m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Andreas Lilja ($0.737m)

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.666m) / Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,996,944; BONUSES: $3,555,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,558,056
I like this line-up.

Old
03-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
I like this line-up.
I wonder why?

Old
03-15-2012, 03:03 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
I wonder why?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Philadelphia Flyers always need a goon.

Old
03-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Philadelphia Flyers always need a goon.
No. They don't. They need tough players who are also good. Goons are useless.

03-15-2012, 03:21 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Someone wont be happy when they finally die out in the next few years.

Old
03-15-2012, 03:25 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Someone wont be happy when they finally die out in the next few years.
I know, I know.

Quote:
Ten little Indian boys went out to dine;
One choked his little self and then there were nine.

Nine little Indian boys sat up very late;
One overslept himself and then there were eight.

Eight little Indian boys travelling in Devon;
One said he'd stay there and then there were seven.

Seven little Indian boys chopping up sticks;
One chopped himself in half and then there were six.

Six little Indian boys playing with a hive;
A bumblebee stung one and then there were five.

Five little Indian boys going in for law;
One got in Chancery and then there were four.

Four little Indian boys going out to sea;
A red herring swallowed one and then there were three.

Three little Indian boys walking in the zoo;
A big bear hugged one and then there were two.

Two Little Indian boys sitting in the sun;
One got frizzled up and then there was one.

One little Indian boy left all alone;
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none.[4]
Replace Indian boy with heavyweight and there yo go

Old
03-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Carle for 3.5 isn't happening.

I would rather resign Carle for market value than lose JVR getting Suter and continue to grow our defensive prospects (I've changed my mind on Carle).

Keep our forward core amazing, keep an above average defense, see what pans out regarding top tier defenseman without giving up assets. Cash, sure. Assets, not until it makes sense (but before it puts the Flyers into a desperate state.) Not clear we're there yet.

Closed Thread