ECHL wants Elmira to stay, Chemung County wants to hold off the vote

Old
03-05-2012, 10:51 PM
jsh99j3
Rookie User

vCash: 500
ECHL wants Elmira to stay, Chemung County wants to hold off the vote

Quote:
Chemung County Executive Tom Santulli wants the county to hold on to First Arena, which it seized in foreclosure, long enough to investigate how the arena has been run for the past 12 years.
Quote:
"I just can't imagine, for the life of me, how they allowed this facility to be operated when there was not a working fire alarm and there were questions about the sprinkler system while ... they had events where people slept overnight," Santulli said.
Quote:
The Jackals will continue to play at the arena this season, Santulli said, noting that he'd spoken with representatives from the ECHL, the league in which the Jackals play.

"The league is very concerned about this. They want a well-run facility," he said.

Beyond that, it's not clear how the Afrs will react if the legislature doesn't accept the repurchase offer.

"I have no idea what they'll do," Santulli said. "The hockey league is telling us that there will be hockey in Elmira. They love Elmira. They love this place, and their statement to me was, there will be hockey. They just want this facility open, and that's what we're going to do."
Full story here

jsh99j3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:54 PM
jsh99j3
Rookie User

Quote:
Santulli said he hopes the legislature denies the request, returns the money and keeps the arena, which has an assessed value of $9.4 million
I hope so too

Old
03-05-2012, 11:34 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

I have two questions:

In regards to Santulli...How the hell could you NOT believe this? It's Afrs trademark. I believe his trial in Louisville took place in 2001, I have a hard time thinking that never made news around here.

Also to the league....why do you want a team here? Easily the smallest arena in the league.

Knowing this county they will vote to take his money just to prevent a hassle.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:36 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Some people around town think Doc will screw us over and there will be no playoffs.

Old
03-06-2012, 12:02 AM
jsh99j3
Rookie User

do you really have to be negative about everything? All that stuff is rumors, there is no point in even talking about that stuff. Go with the facts, you cant question the facts

Old
03-06-2012, 12:06 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh99j3 View Post
do you really have to be negative about everything? All that stuff is rumors, there is no point in even talking about that stuff. Go with the facts, you cant question the facts
These aren't facts either. The league saying they wanna be here going forward is like a player hitting free agency saying they wanna stay and will take a hometown discount. It all means jack til it happens.

Old
03-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh99j3 View Post
Speaking form past experience, it is not hard to be negative at all. I watched the Penguins' situation with trying to get a new arena here in Pittsburgh. Once the politicians get involved things get mucked up. In this case though, I tend to trust the politicians more than the ownership group. That is absolutely opposite of how it should be.

Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:52 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solushun View Post
Speaking form past experience, it is not hard to be negative at all. I watched the Penguins' situation with trying to get a new arena here in Pittsburgh. Once the politicians get involved things get mucked up. In this case though, I tend to trust the politicians more than the ownership group. That is absolutely opposite of how it should be.
I know, for that I am SCARED.

Old
03-06-2012, 07:13 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

County wants comments from the public on Arena's future:

http://www.tcriernews.com/article/Lo...a_Future/22915

Great, here come all the naysayers from 13 years ago.

Old
03-06-2012, 09:25 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

This BETTER BE A JOKE:

http://www.juniorhockey.com/news/new...?news_id=75125

Jimi Simmons is GARBAGE.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
This BETTER BE A JOKE:

http://www.juniorhockey.com/news/new...?news_id=75125

Jimi Simmons is GARBAGE.
I have a hard time believing that Nichols is caught up in this. I thought he had a better reputation than that.

Old
03-07-2012, 11:59 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
I have a hard time believing that Nichols is caught up in this. I thought he had a better reputation than that.
Simmons is his lackey. His wife's(Nichols) business partne(former Assistant GM Don Lewis) just hired this guy over at the baseball stadium. He hired Jimi as our scout a few years back. I've been told Robbie just hires this guy to boost his ego. Could be true. But i do know Jimi was gunna put a Junior A team in here as the owner and bailed at the 11th hour. Apparently hes well known as a guy in the Northeast that runs Junior teams and waits for the kids parents to pay and then either folds thje operation or he just doesn't play quite a few of the kids, and he never issues refunds.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Solution

Quote:
Simmons is his lackey. His wife's(Nichols) business partne(former Assistant GM Don Lewis) just hired this guy over at the baseball stadium. He hired Jimi as our scout a few years back. I've been told Robbie just hires this guy to boost his ego. Could be true. But i do know Jimi was gunna put a Junior A team in here as the owner and bailed at the 11th hour. Apparently hes well known as a guy in the Northeast that runs Junior teams and waits for the kids parents to pay and then either folds thje operation or he just doesn't play quite a few of the kids, and he never issues refunds.
Did he ever run the Johnstown Jets? I had a teammate who was much younger than I who signed with them and then the team folded. No refund.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:34 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Did he ever run the Johnstown Jets? I had a teammate who was much younger than I who signed with them and then the team folded. No refund.
No idea, a google search of the J-Town Jets seemed to trigger an older pro team from the 70's

Old
03-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Solution

Quote:
No idea, a google search of the J-Town Jets seemed to trigger an older pro team from the 70's
Found the answer myself. Yes he did.

http://tribune-democrat.com/hssports...or-hockey-team

Old
03-07-2012, 02:26 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Found the answer myself. Yes he did.

http://tribune-democrat.com/hssports...or-hockey-team
So this team never got off the ground??? That sucks. Why did they fold???

I blame Jimi Simmons for why Johnstown no longer has hockey, LOL

Old
03-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Solution

Quote:
So this team never got off the ground??? That sucks. Why did they fold???

I blame Jimi Simmons for why Johnstown no longer has hockey, LOL
Jimi Simmons is not to blame for Johnstown not having hockey. However, he did screw about five or so kids. He posted on the website that he had like 12 kids then started looking for local kids. once they signed up, he moved the other kids to his other team(s) so the Johnstown team had like 5 kids. No refund when the team died before playing a game.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:48 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

I need help from an outsider or two or more. Here is contact info to voice opinions on what the county should do here:

http://www.wetmtv.com/news/local/sto...tLOeh8cEQ.cspx

Would love for anybody who has some good first hand dirt on Jimi Simmons and Robbie Nichols to email them on it. I don't have anything, and everyone around here thinks Robbie's so great. But that article from last night bothers me, I have talked to many season ticket holders who won't renewal if they do FHL or some joke junior league Simmons is known for.

Anyone who can help greatly appreciated.

Old
03-08-2012, 06:00 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

So now Robbie is in denial mode:

http://www.juniorhockey.com/news/new...?news_id=75152

Quote:
Tuesday we talked about FHL and the situation in Elmira, NY. In a conversation on Wednesday with former Jackals' General Manager Robbie Nichols, Nichols denies any intention to join the FHL. "I brought the ECHL to Elmira and want to work with the league to make sure it stays. Yes, we did meet with the FHL, but nothing was concrete. As far as Jimi Simmons is concerned, he is going to do what he is going to do. I cannot control what he (Simmons) has to say or what (Don) Kirnan and (Sarge) Richards is saying."
Interesting. But i'm not buying. Your no longer employed at the arena. Even if new ownership comes in whos to say you will be the right hand man? Also, what do you mean it wasn't a discussion about anything concrete? You mean talking to them about the league with some potential interests isn't concrete? Even if nothing about a deal was talked about or reached potentially?

Old
03-09-2012, 06:23 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

So the dispute for this joint began way back in 02. The Egyptian owes a lot of people in a lot of places money. I know this is the 3rd time this joint is facing foreclosure. This is the farthest it's gotten though.

http://www.stargazette.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

Quote:
Mostafa Afr on Thursday declined to address Santulli's comments, but said he would make an announcement Monday.

"We have a new management company that will be in place in a few days," Afr said. "We're doing our best to get things in excellent shape."
So is this "new management company" gunna make money magically appear and give all of those involved the money they owe?

Writing is on the wall now, investigation means bye bye Afr.

Old
03-12-2012, 05:51 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

http://www.the-leader.com/features/x...-finish-season

Quote:
Santulli said the overwhelming sentiment around the community is to decline the repurchase request in a bid to find a new operator for the arena. If the bid is denied, the county would take control of the arena debt-free.

“I’ve never has as many calls, emails, everything, as I have from the people that are very concerned about the condition and operation of the arena,” Santulli said. “Ninety-nine percent, maybe 99.9 percent, of the responses -- and we’ve had hundreds -- think it’s time to go in a new direction.”

Santulli said he is convinced a change is needed and it’s time to replace Afr. He said Afr’s history of mismanagement and the deteriorating condition of the arena make a change necessary.
So wait, the new owners wouldn't be respomsible for things like the money Afr owes the bank?

Old
03-12-2012, 08:04 PM
jsh99j3
Rookie User

Quote:
http://www.the-leader.com/features/x...-finish-season

So wait, the new owners wouldn't be respomsible for things like the money Afr owes the bank?
ARE YOU KIDDING ME WITH THAT QUESTION? You claim to pay attention so much, you should know the answer since it has been written in black and white since the beginning. NO THEY DONT. They hand the check back to Afr and it becomes county owned, and debt free.

Old
03-12-2012, 10:44 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Investigation forthcoming:

http://www.wetmtv.com/news/local/sto...dGxCt7wFQ.cspx

Got a huge chuckle of Nichols being in attendance talking a big game like he's still "involved"

I see they are going to also be investigating management. This means guys like Nichols and Lewis.

Old
03-15-2012, 03:31 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

NO workers comp:

http://www.stargazette.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

Old
03-16-2012, 04:08 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Just got this from the city message board:

Quote:
Posted Today, 02:18 PM

A source close to the arena has said that the AFR family has filed a lawsuit and are suing Tom Santulli & Chemung County for trying to run the Jackals team out of Elmira. It seems, which Santulli has stated several times, that Santulli has contacted the League and asked how to end Hockey in Elmira, the League has contacted the Afr's and Arena and told them that Santulli told the league they don't want hockey in elmira and want the arena for other purposes that will benefit the county but not hockey!!!