HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

March 14th, 2012 | Ottawa at Montreal | Gilroy Edition

Old
03-15-2012, 01:59 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
See:

Downgrading your team any any slot is never a good thing. Lee > Gilroy and it was a retarded move anyway you look at it
Seriously, do they not scout players? I only watched Gilroy a handful of times and I could have told you he was a crap player.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:03 PM
KarlssonMarx
Be Red

I've noticed that, every game against the Habs this year, Neil is really going after Campoli. Both with hits and stuff after the whistles. I wonder if they didn't like each other, or if it's just a friendly thing

KarlssonMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Lee. Was. Not. Coming. Back. Next. Year.

Who cares if Gilroy doesn't work out, we don't sign him just like we were going to do with Lee.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 04:41 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
Lee. Was. Not. Coming. Back. Next. Year.

Who cares if Gilroy doesn't work out, we don't sign him just like we were going to do with Lee.
well if they qualified him, he wouldn't have had a choice to come back if he wanted to be in the NHL. I just don't get giving up on a young cheap NHLer.

Guys like Boychuk are signing for 3+ million. A competent 3rd pair D will not come cheap in UFA. But Lee would have been.

And it's not even about next year. The trade makes the team worse right now.

Old
03-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble View Post
- 3 of Lee's assists were secondary assists.
- 3 of Lee's assists were on Stamkos goals.
- 2 of Lee's assists came in the cluster.... that was the Bruins game.
- Are we really going to extrapolate based only on points? And 7 games?
- I can't believe we're arguing over our 6th defenceman this much.
Not that it really matters but what does this even mean??

- 2nd assists dont count anymore??
- You are not a valuable player if you help set up your elite goalscorer??
- You want him to stop playing in that game because the other team is having a bad night??

What are you trying to get at really??

Career totals are relatively close with the 2 players and much closer than most would probably think...

Gilroy- 187gp, 9g, 35a=44 pts
Lee- 174gp, 5g, 27a=32 pts

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Senators Fan View Post
Sens record with Gilroy: 3-2-2
Bolts record with Lee: 4-2-1

Murray not only missed the boat on this one... he sunk it on the way by, killing thousands. I'm beginning to doubt our playoff chances and my own personal worth.
It took Gilroy only 7 games to lose 4 times?? Pffftttt

Sens lost only 4 times in Lee's last 19 games... Clear trade loss

Playing with backup goalies has absolutely nothing to do with this

Old
03-15-2012, 05:06 PM
HSF

some fans here really need to get a grip.

almost as stupid as crying when Preissing left.

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 05:08 PM
JustinYS

Guys, Murray said he wasn't going to retain Lee after this season. Why not trade for someone that MAY be the type of D you want and get something instead of just letting Lee walk away. I don't know how to make this anymore clear.

JustinYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 05:15 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
some fans here really need to get a grip.

almost as stupid as crying when Preissing left.
Yeah and signing Richardson to replace him worked out just fine as I remember correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinYS View Post
Guys, Murray said he wasn't going to retain Lee after this season. Why not trade for someone that MAY be the type of D you want and get something instead of just letting Lee walk away. I don't know how to make this anymore clear.
The stupid thing is not wanting to keep Lee after this year in the first place. And also not scouting a player properly before trading for him.

Old
03-15-2012, 05:21 PM
HSF

Quote:
Yeah and signing Richardson to replace him worked out just fine as I remember correctly

The stupid thing is not wanting to keep Lee after this year in the first place. And also not scouting a player properly before trading for him.
yap we sucked cause of Richardson.....

Old
03-15-2012, 05:26 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
yap we sucked cause of Richardson.....
Partially because of him. He had to be sheltered. The more bad players you have on your team, the worse your team is. Every player that is dressed contributes to wins and losses.

Old
03-15-2012, 05:37 PM
wjhl2009fan

Ottawa Senators Fan
It would be hard for them not to make the play offs they don't have to win every game put picking up points is big.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 06:18 PM
HSF

Quote:
Partially because of him. He had to be sheltered. The more bad players you have on your team, the worse your team is. Every player that is dressed contributes to wins and losses.
all at varying degrees

if a bottom pairing defensemen is the difference between being a good and a bad team then your team has some major issues

Old
03-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Philadelphia Collins

The funny thing is everybody would be singing his praises if he had potted the empty netter

Hockey, like any other sport, is all about "what have you done for me lately" to the fans

Philadelphia Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 06:44 PM
HSF

hey look Lee just took a penalty and Toronto scored on it

Old
03-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Ed Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
Not that it really matters but what does this even mean??

- 2nd assists dont count anymore??
- You are not a valuable player if you help set up your elite goalscorer??
- You want him to stop playing in that game because the other team is having a bad night??

What are you trying to get at really??

Career totals are relatively close with the 2 players and much closer than most would probably think...

Gilroy- 187gp, 9g, 35a=44 pts
Lee- 174gp, 5g, 27a=32 pts
Lee is also three years younger and his game was clearly progressing while Gilroy isn't likely to be anything more than he is right now. The fact that Murray didn't intend to re-sign Lee only confirms to me that he's a crappy GM.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
Lee is also three years younger and his game was clearly progressing while Gilroy isn't likely to be anything more than he is right now. The fact that Murray didn't intend to re-sign Lee only confirms to me that he's a crappy GM.
Well now that you have confirmed it............ Fire Murray, Hire Burke/Gauthier

Pilgore88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 07:01 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
I think your over hyping Lee just a bit.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 07:03 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
I think your over hyping Lee just a bit.
How is what he said overhyping?? He said he was 24 years old and improving...

Old
03-15-2012, 07:23 PM
TSA0402

I dont think Murray is a terrible GM, but the fact that he didnt want to retain Lee considering the shortage of young defensive talent is a pretty dumb move, in my opinion.

If Gilroy scored one of his open nets, I still wouldnt care. He would still be outscored by Brian Lee in the past several games. lol

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 07:31 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
I dont think Murray is a terrible GM, but the fact that he didnt want to retain Lee considering the shortage of young defensive talent is a pretty dumb move, in my opinion.

If Gilroy scored one of his open nets, I still wouldnt care. He would still be outscored by Brian Lee in the past several games. lol
I don't understand this, we have 2 D who are under 21. I am sure he expects to fill the void during the summer whether it be through free agency or trade. Although I would have liked to keep Lee around to fill openings, losing him is not a big deal.

Old
03-15-2012, 07:39 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
I don't understand this, we have 2 D who are under 21. I am sure he expects to fill the void during the summer whether it be through free agency or trade. Although I would have liked to keep Lee around to fill openings, losing him is not a big deal.
How many good young defenseman do we have between the ages of 21-34. We have two very young defenseman, a bunch of older guys and Gilroy. Nothing to bridge the middle. Murray has a bias toward Boro, who really didnt much better than Gilroy during his callup.

UFA is not a bad route if you have nobody internally to fill a position. But fact is UFA is where most GMs will make critical mistakes and it is best to avoid it. Murray might have to go that route, even if he didnt have to and could end up with another Jason Smith situation.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
How many good young defenseman do we have between the ages of 21-34. We have two very young defenseman, a bunch of older guys and Gilroy. Nothing to bridge the middle. Murray has a bias toward Boro, who really didnt much better than Gilroy during his callup.

UFA is not a bad route if you have nobody internally to fill a position. But fact is UFA is where most GMs will make critical mistakes and it is best to avoid it. Murray might have to go that route, even if he didnt have to and could end up with another Jason Smith situation.
Oh agreed, UFA is not the desirable route to take, but in the past we have gotten older veterans, we have that in Phillips now. I would be willing to bet we add two Defense between the age 26-30 in the off-season through some combination of UFA and trades.

Would Mezsaros ever look good in a 3-5 spot now eh

Old
03-15-2012, 07:54 PM
mcnorth

Clearly Lee didn't fit into Murray's plans and he saw a chance to move him for a guy he hoped would flourish in a very different system than he was playing in with the Bolts (that is why all this stat comparison stuff pre-trade is garbage). I think Murray wants to see what Gilroy can do given a green light - maybe it could add another dynamic to a team that relies on creating opportunities from the back end. Murray wants an offensive guy in each pairing. He is also confident, I figure, one of the Bingo guys will be ready next year or he can sign someone. He had had enough of Lee, Lee had had enough of the Sens. It was time to part ways.

Do I wish they had kept Lee rather than Gilroy? Yes. He was at least as dependable in his own end and didn't give me as many fits. He was younger, seemed to be getting better. But there's no sense continuing to dick Lee around. The guy has taken his lumps and shown a lot of class and Murray is also a classy guy and the trade was the right thing to do for Lee and I think Murray thought it could pay off for the Sens with a bit more offense. It still may.

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 07:56 PM
bacon25

Its funny that some fans are blaming Gilroy for the team losing, completely forgetting that hockey is a team sport. Lee was not the reason Ottawa was winning before the trade and Gilroy is not the reason that the Sens are losing now.

bacon25 is offline   Reply With Quote