HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Better Offensively: Dubinsky vs. Hagelin

View Poll Results: Better Offensively: Dubinsky vs. Hagelin
Brandon Dubinsky 13 17.33%
Carl Hagelin 62 82.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-16-2012, 12:02 AM
satrabyk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
This is hillarious..How arer you going to ask this question..Dubinsky been a pro for 4 or 5 years.....and this is Hagelins first season as a pro,he didnt even start the season to begin with.

Why dont we wait to ask this question.Obvioulsey at the moment Hagelin looks better....AT THE MOMENT.Give him another couple seasons ad lets see what he does.

Although with Callahan,Stepan and Hagelin(possibly) looking to be studs,this makes Dubinsky expendable which is good all depending.i really dont wanna give up 100% oin him,i do like Dubi.
Why do 3 good players make another good player expendable, what if one is hurt now your left with 2. I dont get that logic.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:05 AM
trilobyte

Are we talking the mythical, hypothetical Dubinsky of yesteryear, the one shrouded in the fog of memory, or the flesh and blood version that ties skates on every game and is content to be a background player? He is obviously quite comfortable with that role.

The old Dubinksy had great offensive powers. However, it is doubtful that he will be seen again, at least not in a Rangers uni.

Hagelin shows promise. Great year. He has much to learn, but at least he keeps trying and getting better. Love watching him, he is a treat.

Last edited by trilobyte: 03-16-2012 at 12:12 AM.
trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:16 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
Are we talking the mythical, hypothetical Dubinsky of yesteryear, the one shrouded in the fog of memory, or the flesh and blood version that ties skates on every game and is content to be a background player? He is obviously quite comfortable with that role.

The old Dubinksy had great offensive powers. However, it is doubtful that he will be seen again, at least not in a Rangers uni.

Hagelin shows promise. Great year. He has much to learn, but at least he keeps trying and getting better. Love watching him, he is a treat.
Does he have a lot to learn, he plays the game to a tee already. Besides the odd defensive coverage he misses.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:19 AM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Does he have a lot to learn, he plays the game to a tee already. Besides the odd defensive coverage he misses.
Ièm certainly not putting him down. I think he will learn to use his great speed and his brain to get himself into position for more goals. He must be pinching himself when he looks at his linemates, but he does not look out of place at all.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:31 AM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Just refer to point totals to take care of debates like this.
So Gaborik is the best player on the team..?

Matt4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:52 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

A more appropriate question would be which of the two is more consistent. Dubinsky is a more talented player when he is at his best. Unfortunately, he spends way too much time not being at his best. The less-skilled Hagelin makes much smarter decisions on the ice, and plays his best almost every night.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:00 AM
NYR Viper

It is almost scary how much Hagelin reminds me of Callahan. Same type of attitude and playing style. Hagelin may not be as overly physical as Callahan is, but his speed and board-work for his size are a pleasure to watch.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:02 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Hagsy's best stretch vs Dubi's worst.

This poll will be accurate.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:20 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4776 View Post
So Gaborik is the best player on the team..?
There are two things to know about me and you only picked up on one of them.

1) I am not a fan of Gaborik.

2) I do not care about point totals.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
It is almost scary how much Hagelin reminds me of Callahan. Same type of attitude and playing style. Hagelin may not be as overly physical as Callahan is, but his speed and board-work for his size are a pleasure to watch.
Hags is definitely a player.

How did we know about him in the 6th round?

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:36 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

To be honest, I think they're about even in terms of offensive skill. Neither is a "great" shooter or passer, but both are good enough to be 50-60 point players in the NHL. The real issue lies with their effort and consistency. Hagelin is noticeable every shift, while Dubinsky is invisible more often than not.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:42 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Why do 3 good players make another good player expendable, what if one is hurt now your left with 2. I dont get that logic.
We have more than 3.i failed ro mention AA and Hopefully Kreider...It makes Dubi expendable in a package for maybe aome good solid depth down the road..im not saying trade him for a 2nd rounder..but a decnt package to bring something back.NYR finally is in position to be able to do so. Tjat was my point and logic.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Chimp

I'd take Hagelin any day. His speed will make him useful even if he hits slumps and he has as much work ethics as anyone. He brings it every shift. Dubinsky on the other hand, has been very streaky his entire career, where he can turn invisible for months in a row. This hasn't changed much at all.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:49 AM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
To be honest, I think they're about even in terms of offensive skill. Neither is a "great" shooter or passer, but both are good enough to be 50-60 point players in the NHL. The real issue lies with their effort and consistency. Hagelin is noticeable every shift, while Dubinsky is invisible more often than not.
This is what surprises me the most. I can "understand" him having a down year point wise, but the effort just isn't there.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:52 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Hags is definitely a player.

How did we know about him in the 6th round?
I believe it was Christer Rockstrom over in Sweden who found him playing in the junior league over there. He has always been a speed demon and they must have liked the fact that he had already decided to go play at Michigan (considering a lot of Europeans don't choose that route) and they just allowed him to develop.

They wanted to sign him after his Junior season but he decided to return for his senior season. He dominated. This is why I normally get a little defensive of people trying to rush certain prospects. Let them dominate their level of play and then let them take it 1 step at a time. He played well in Hartford for 20 games and got his shot.

Old
03-16-2012, 08:56 AM
NYR Viper

Nathan Horton and David Booth garnered 1st rounders from Boston and Vancouver. I would think that is on par with Dubinsky's value at this point. A 1st round pick in the 20-25 range. I would take that.

Old
03-16-2012, 09:41 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Nathan Horton and David Booth garnered 1st rounders from Boston and Vancouver. I would think that is on par with Dubinsky's value at this point. A 1st round pick in the 20-25 range. I would take that.
id trade Dubi for a first in a heartbeat. Its not about Dubi, its about his contract. I like Dubi if he was making 1.5-2 mil. At 4mil or whatever hes making, hes a liability.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 09:43 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Hagelin doesn't need as many chances as Dubinsky to score. Dubinsky is lost right now. He lost is PP time early in the season. Lost his PK time to Hagelin before the trading deadline. If Callahan was healthy,Dubinsky would be a 3rd/4th liner on this team. I saw Hagelin at Michigan. He never played like this. Red Berenson did say Hagelin would be a better version of Draper/Helm. So far it looks like he was right.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 09:56 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Hagelin doesn't need as many chances as Dubinsky to score. Dubinsky is lost right now. He lost is PP time early in the season. Lost his PK time to Hagelin before the trading deadline. If Callahan was healthy,Dubinsky would be a 3rd/4th liner on this team. I saw Hagelin at Michigan. He never played like this. Red Berenson did say Hagelin would be a better version of Draper/Helm. So far it looks like he was right.
Could you elaborate?

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:11 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Could you elaborate?
From the games I watched of Hagelin at Michigan, his speed was apparent, but he didn't use it nearly as often as he does in the NHL. He didn't seem like a high energy player that is all over the ice on every shift.

But I think that has more to do with the way the game is played at the college level. In the NHL, he can do the things he's doing because he has better support from his linemates. Which is also why I think Kreider will be a better pro than college player.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I felt the exact same way, which is one of the reasons i'm so surprised.

I don't know if it was Tortorella, or just Hags wanting to take initiative to show he belonged in the NHL, but he has become a serious weapon and has even ironed over most of the holes I notices in his game early (puck possession + decision making) ect. His shot is never going to be great but it doesn't really have to be.

03-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

to me, the biggest surprise is his board play. i dont know if i ever remember seeing a guy his size play the boards so well against players MUCH bigger than him. even when he gets muscled off, he finds ways to fight through checks. guy is surprisingly strong.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I felt the exact same way, which is one of the reasons i'm so surprised.

I don't know if it was Tortorella, or just Hags wanting to take initiative to show he belonged in the NHL, but he has become a serious weapon and has even ironed over most of the holes I notices in his game early (puck possession + decision making) ect. His shot is never going to be great but it doesn't really have to be.
This is why I'm still taking the "cautiously optimistic" stance on Carl. I've seen too many prospects arrive like they were shot out of a cannon just to fizzle off. Prucha and Dawes to name a couple of recent examples. If Carl shows the same effectiveness next year, then I'll consider him part of the "core".

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:42 AM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
This is why I'm still taking the "cautiously optimistic" stance on Carl. I've seen too many prospects arrive like they were shot out of a cannon just to fizzle off. Prucha and Dawes to name a couple of recent examples. If Carl shows the same effectiveness next year, then I'll consider him part of the "core".
I get what you are saying, however the difference with Hagelin is that he seems to be manufacturing/creating his own offense. If anything I think his speed has been aiding Richards lack of.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:14 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Hard question to answer. Dubinsky has more physical gift but his hockey IQ is so low. Hagelin's IQ and speed makes him a much more effective player.