HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Flyers nominate Jagr for Masterton Trophy

Old
03-15-2012, 03:17 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xegiie View Post
for being injured?
This award pretty much always goes to people with sad stories (i.e. over coming major injuries or major personal crisis like the death of a child). Jagr has no chance of winning.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 04:53 PM
flyerfanish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
You've missed my point. It doesn't matter where he chose to play the last three years. He hasn't persevered through anything. He hasn't shown any particular dedication to anything but his ego and the almighty dollar during his absence.

His return to the NHL cannot in any way be compared to players returning to the game after dealing with serious disease or injuries received during the course of play. To equate the two diminishes those who have truly persevered.
Ryker didn't "miss" your point. If that was your point you forgot to mention it.

It's quite scary knowing you're a cop when you say stuff like that. You base your opinion of a person and assume to know his intentions based on some interviews with the media and a few quotes?

If any swedish starplayer go home and play in SEL for 3years to get the league some attention I'd totally understand him and I'd definatly see that as extreme dedication towards hockey. More so than coming back from some injury.

flyerfanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 08:06 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanish View Post
Ryker didn't "miss" your point. If that was your point you forgot to mention it.

It's quite scary knowing you're a cop when you say stuff like that. You base your opinion of a person and assume to know his intentions based on some interviews with the media and a few quotes?

If any swedish starplayer go home and play in SEL for 3years to get the league some attention I'd totally understand him and I'd definatly see that as extreme dedication towards hockey. More so than coming back from some injury.
It's scary that you ASSume she's a cop.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 08:25 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
I kind of agree with CG here ... Jagr didn't struggle through anything.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Xegiie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I kind of agree with CG here ... Jagr didn't struggle through anything.
yeah only few groin injuries.. right. just a detail for a hockey player..
/sarcasm

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:15 PM
MsWoof

Lappy won it last year after a puck to the face ended his career. Theodore won it after dealing with the death of his child. That's what the award is about.

Old
03-15-2012, 11:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
You'd think it would have to be Crosby.

Unless DiPietro returns and is awesome.

03-16-2012, 07:47 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
You'd think it would have to be Crosby.

Unless DiPietro returns and is awesome.
I'll be shocked if it is anyone but Crosby. There are some worthy candidates out there, but the league will be dying to give Crosby some sort of award. And in this case, it's very much deserved.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 07:48 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanish View Post

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:43 AM
xifentoozlerix

Jagr is 40 years old and still works out hard on the ice. That is dedication. It is amusing to see people pretend to know Jagr's motivations for playing, though. I highly doubt Jagr is in it for the money at this point of his life. He impressed the team with his work ethic; you don't need to survive cancer and return to the game to be dedicated.

Still, I doubt he wins. Nice nod though by the organization.

xifentoozlerix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:16 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by xifentoozlerix View Post
Jagr is 40 years old and still works out hard on the ice. That is dedication. It is amusing to see people pretend to know Jagr's motivations for playing, though. I highly doubt Jagr is in it for the money at this point of his life. He impressed the team with his work ethic; you don't need to survive cancer and return to the game to be dedicated.

Still, I doubt he wins. Nice nod though by the organization.
Selanne and Lidstrom both work hard and are in the same age category and I wouldn't want either of them nominated. It's meant for a player who's really come back from something bad and potentially career ending.

Old
03-16-2012, 12:52 PM
jagrgodr

Here is what the award is about:

National Hockey League player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to ice hockey.

I would say he fits this perfectly. Will he win? probably not, but he is the team's best candidate. He has fought through injuries and didn't miss that much time and always wanted to play. He is probably the hardest working Flyer, and he is almost twice the age of everyone on the team. He took a major paycut to play in the NHL for this team. His also, most importantly, the owner of a hockey team in his home country and is using his own money to keep it alive. He has also helped by being a leader off ice and leading by example with all his hard work off the ice. In fact, most of his money from the Flyers is probably going to go towards the team in Czech, which will in turn make the NHL better by helping young players excel. So to me, i think he does deserve the award. Keep in mind he is also the team's best Right Winger by far and helped Giroux out a lot.

jagrgodr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:40 AM
Ryker

Haha, didn't even know until now that the Pens have nominated Cooke I know the guy SEEMS to be turning it around, but I think laughs are still in order.

Ryker is online now   Reply With Quote