HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rejean says Desharnais over Pacioretty for Masterton

Old
03-16-2012, 10:06 AM
DogsFan*
GHG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Thing is, as serious his injury was, he still had everybody on his side (except Dr Recchi) and the support of the management, fanbase, etc. It was never even put in question that he would return once we knew he wasn't paralyzed.

He got a broken neck and a commotion. It's not about "what could have happened to him", but what he came back from.

The commotion turned out to have minor consequences, and the broken neck healed at proper pace. Good for him.

Desharnais never, ever had it easy. It's not about him being French, it's about overcoming a lifelong adversity based on the limits people expected him to have. Nobody wanted to bet on him because they all though he'd reach his limits fast enough.

And he never did. Desharnais's struggle isn't about how, for a few months, he was worried about his life career.

Desharnais's struggle was, for YEARS, he went and sacrifice everything into something everybody told him would be a waste. That it didn't mattered to play in the Junior because he'd crash in the AHL. That he shouldnt bother to play in the AHL because he would crash in the NHL.

One is a very intense and ultimately happy-ending shirt story. The other is the achievement of a lifelong dream where every inch on the way was fought for.
I'm glad someone can see past the stupid ****ing "Desharnais is short" argument.

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Joe Cole

There is a vaid arguement there, first brought up by Arpon Basu...

But repeated from Rejean "le fefan" Tremblay.... it cheapens the idea.

(not really... but RT is not a fave of mine)

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:08 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Then shouldn't one of the shortest players to play the game Nathan Gerbe (5'5'') win it?
not debating the player since i like gerbe's game a lot, but just going by stat, gerbe never broke the 40 point mark, DD will break 60 in his first full season

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:12 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
I'm glad someone can see past the stupid ****ing "Desharnais is short" argument.
well except that the whole "overcame adversity" argument is premised on it

If not, what was the reason he was overlooked at the draft etc.?

Listen Desharnais is a great story but so is Patches and more worthy imo. His neck was broken, he could have died and yet he has come back to be an impact player who doesn't shy from contact which would be easily understandable if he did

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:16 AM
PricePkPatch

The Bill Masterson Trophy is awarded annually to a player who best exemplify the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.

Pacioretty's season sure fits the description
Desharnais's LIFE fits the description.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Meh.

The case for nominating Desharnais is equally as strong as the case for nominating Pacioretty.

So we have two equally legitimate options. We can only nominate one candidate. Pacioretty was chosen. I'm OK with it.

This debate is much ado about nothing.

Edit: The argument for nominating Desharnais will remain valid for years, so I'm sure we'll see him being nominated at some point in his career.

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:18 AM
windycity

Quote:
The Bill Masterson Trophy is awarded annually to a player who best exemplify the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.

yeah, Patches was sure unlucky he didn't instead break his neck when he was 10 . . .

agree, this is much ado about nothing

Old
03-16-2012, 10:21 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
yeah, Patches was sure unlucky he didn't instead break his neck when he was 10 . . .

agree, this is much ado about nothing
You make up the weirdest **** man. Can you at least try to make reasonable arguments?

I swear, the anti-Tremblay hate on this board reaches Republican-esque logic.

Old
03-16-2012, 10:29 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
The Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy is awarded annually to the National Hockey League player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to ice hockey.
Desharnais fits that bill. Historically it's been awarded to a player who got medically ****ed up, and came back. However, according to the official definition of the award, Desharnais is a fine candidate.

He wasn't drafted, invited to a try out, signed to an ECHL contract, played his way through that league, the AHL, and finally got his big moment to show his stuff in "the show." In his first full season, it looks like he'll get 63-67 points realistically. All the while, in every single league, including now, he has had no shortage of detractors.

It's an incredible story, really.

Rejean's pro-Quebec bias is obvious, however, he does have a point in this case.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Clipitar

I think some people are really selling Desharnais "short" in this thread (what's new?). What he has accomplished as an undrafted, undersized player who had to dominate pretty much the whole pro hockey system in North America to get his NHL shot – and boy, did he grab that opportunity! – is an incredible story of perseverance and beating the odds.

And I agree the Bill Masterton is not supposed to only be credited to candidates who had to battle potentially career-ending injuries, even if this has become some kind of a pattern over the recent years.

I still prefer Pacioretty as our representative for the Masterton though. The injury itself, but also the whole context and aftermath are more than enough for me to opt for him instead of Desharnais, who by the way would be the most pertinent pick on many other NHL teams IMO.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:30 AM
habsrock76

Although both are worthy candidates, by definition of the award I think Desharnais is more deserving, and I'm in no way trying to minimize the accomplishments of Patches coming back from a devasting injury.

Some of you dont like the "he's short" argument but convincing the naysayers who always said your too small to play and will never survive in this game since you were 12 years old is a feat in itself physically and mentally.

Despite all the experts who passed on him everywhere he's gone he's dominated and now he's our #1 center in his first full season.

habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:34 AM
windycity

Quote:
You make up the weirdest **** man. Can you at least try to make reasonable arguments?

I swear, the anti-Tremblay hate on this board reaches Republican-esque logic.
my point was that Patches has a full career ahead of him, it's not just one season as you put it in your bogus argument

get it?

As for Tremblay, he's a xenophobic clown and a very good reverse barometer

Old
03-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Thing is, as serious his injury was, he still had everybody on his side (except Dr Recchi) and the support of the management, fanbase, etc. It was never even put in question that he would return once we knew he wasn't paralyzed.

He got a broken neck and a commotion. It's not about "what could have happened to him", but what he came back from.

The commotion turned out to have minor consequences, and the broken neck healed at proper pace. Good for him.

Desharnais never, ever had it easy. It's not about him being French, it's about overcoming a lifelong adversity based on the limits people expected him to have. Nobody wanted to bet on him because they all though he'd reach his limits fast enough.

And he never did. Desharnais's struggle isn't about how, for a few months, he was worried about his life career.

Desharnais's struggle was, for YEARS, he went and sacrifice everything into something everybody told him would be a waste. That it didn't mattered to play in the Junior because he'd crash in the AHL. That he shouldnt bother to play in the AHL because he would crash in the NHL.

One is a very intense and ultimately happy-ending short story. The other is the achievement of a lifelong dream where every inch on the way was fought for.

And how many "short" player center their team's first line after a season and a half? Is rated in the top 30 for assists in the NHL in his 1st season?
Does that mean Saku didn't deserve the Masterton because he had support through his cancer?

It's not that Desharnais doesn't deserve praise for fighting through skeptics his entire life. Everyone loves the Rudy story. But Pacioretty deserves the nomination because he's not simply bouncing back from an injury, he's bouncing back from an injury that almost ruined his life and the way he has reacted to it is the perfect characteristic of what the Masterton trophy is for.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:

totally agree here... but it is awarded annually. Pacioretty's bounce back season THIS season is more intense than Desharnais. But DD's life has been a prime example of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication.

Dirty Danglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Then why didn't Martin St. Louis ever win one? Or Tim Thomas.

Good for David, I'm happy and all but there is a lot of players that need to persevere to get where they are at

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
totally agree here... but it is awarded annually. Pacioretty's bounce back season THIS season is more intense than Desharnais. But DD's life has been a prime example of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication.
This pretty much explains it.

I also don't see how Desharnais can win it when Martin St-Louis never has.

Some of you are acting like Desharnais is the first underdog in NHL history. If anything the Habs have a legacy of supporting players accused of being too small and weak to play in the NHL.

Old
03-16-2012, 10:39 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post

Good for David, I'm happy and all but there is a lot of players that need to persevere to get where they are at
exactly

And it's not like Patches (or anybody else) just gets handed a spot in the NHL, taller or more talented or not

Old
03-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Kirk Muller

I dont see Desharnais making it to the NHL any different than a good portion of the league. All of them have to show, the perseverance, dedication to hockey. Outside of Star talents, most players had major weaknesses and odds against them. In Desharnais's case its his height. Lots of guys are told they wont make it because of skating or hockey sense or whatever. This is the Masterson Trophy not the road to the NHL trophy. Most players overcome adversity to make it to the NHL, thats what Desharnais did.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Ginu

French homerism at its finest

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
exactly

And it's not like Patches (or anybody else) just gets handed a spot in the NHL, taller or more talented or not
Patches might not have been an underdog the way Desharnais is but he had a long road to the NHL himself, and when he was finally silencing his doubters he had his neck broken.

That would have destroyed plenty of players.

Old
03-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

I like how everyone is dramatizing paches injury. Yes it was horrific but he would have been playing in the playoffs if we beat Boston last yr. I heard he would be back for the second round at some point. People here saying that he almost died is a bit much. He was always in stable condition.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:44 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post

St Louis should definetly have won it by the same criteria.

Tim Thomas has been drafted, even if he didn't had it easy after.

I am NOT saying Pacioretty shouldn't win the award, that he doesn't deserve it, or anything of the kind. It's just that his story is less epic than Desharnais's, IMHO, regarding all the criteria that should define the Masterson.

It is a bit annoying that the Masterson is by default the "get back from injury" award. While getting back from a serious injury SHOULD be one of the ways that you could be nominated, there should br diversity in the kind of narratives worthy of said trophy.

Old
03-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
St Louis should definetly have won it by the same criteria.

Tim Thomas has been drafted, even if he didn't had it easy after.

I am NOT saying Pacioretty shouldn't win the award, that he doesn't deserve it, or anything of the kind. It's just that his story is less epic than Desharnais's, IMHO, regarding all the criteria that should define the Masterson.

It is a bit annoying that the Masterson is by default the "get back from injury" award. While getting back from a serious injury SHOULD be one of the ways that you could be nominated, there should br diversity in the kind of narratives worthy of said trophy.

Desharnais story in the NHL no one really cares about it. And St. Louis came back dominated for a few years now, led his team to a Stanley Cup. Is Desharnais leading us to a Cup this year?

And Thomas had it easy, really. Someone needs to do research before posting

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:48 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

Almost dying, almost being paralyzed, almost losing everything he's worked hard for.. Coming back and becoming a 30 goal scorer and top line player.

vs.

Being short.

Give me a ****ing break.
I agree that Max is our guy but desharnais also has a different case. It's important to admire both their characters in this situation. As for why I'm quoting you...don't say max almost died, it's a childish comment. He was severely injured and almost died is not applicable. At no time during his recovery did Max or any doctor fear for his life. The worst thing you can do to guys like Mac is get their story wrong. Let's call it for what it is, major injury, great recovery and great season. Death has no place in this.

Last edited by LyricalLyricist: 03-16-2012 at 11:23 AM.
LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 10:49 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
I like how everyone is dramatizing paches injury. Yes it was horrific but he would have been playing in the playoffs if we beat Boston last yr. I heard he would be back for the second round at some point. People here saying that he almost died is a bit much. He was always in stable condition.
so we should over-dramatize someones life as an undersized hockey player?

I like Desharnais but seriously making it to the NHL because you are small is now a Masterson worthy. Gimme a break.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote