HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rejean says Desharnais over Pacioretty for Masterton

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-16-2012, 11:29 AM
  #76
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
This one single comment is 10x stupider than anything in RT's article, which was not a diss at MaxPac at all. And here's somebody else saying the same thing. Please feel free to shoot the messenger again.

Hey, does any idiot actually think that MaxPac would want to win because he just missed 18 games? It's insulting.
I didn't mention Max at all. And yes, I'd be insulted by this if I were DD.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:31 AM
  #77
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,839
vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I didn't mention Max at all. And yes, I'd be insulted by this if I were DD.
pft.... you could never be DD, he is obviously anti-tanking

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:32 AM
  #78
SmurfsFTW
Wait.. WUT ?!
 
SmurfsFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Poutine island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
I don't know who's more pathetic Rejean Tremblay or posters who trash on DD, because of this article ???
This.

I think it's worth debating, because both players had to work hard and to persevere to perform this year. I personnaly think Patches deserve it, because it was realistically almost a career-ending injury. He could've came back afraid of contacts.

On the other hand, people that are surprised that DD made it to the NHL are clueless at evaluating talent. DD had a freaking 375 points total in the Q. DD was tearing it up in the ECHL and AHL. Even if he wasn't drafted, scouts had him on their radar, and they invited him to camps and gave him his chance. Yes that's perseverance, but it's not like he was left out with nothing out there. Plenty of undrafted players are performing in the NHL, that dosen't make them worthy of the Masterton award automatically.

Why is this becoming a anglo vs french issue is mind boggling. Some people need to remove their fanboy glasses. This is an interesting debate and saying 'RT is a moron' just proves you are an idiot.

SmurfsFTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:33 AM
  #79
Not The One
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montréal, Qc.
Posts: 1,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I didn't mention Max at all. And yes, I'd be insulted by this if I were DD.
Which means that:

1) You can't or won't read the article, and
2) You don't know what the definition of the Masterton is, and
3) You don't know who DD is.

Congrats!

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:34 AM
  #80
LouisJCloutier
Registered User
 
LouisJCloutier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gaspésie
Country: Canada
Posts: 715
vCash: 500
Hhaha another classic bashing of the Habs management by Tremblay.

Doesn't matter that the Habs were the only team in THE ENTIRE LEAGUE to give Desharnais a chance: they didn't draft him and it's unnaceptable. For him it shows that the habs management don't care about Quebec.

The most funny thing is that the Habs drfated two Quebec-born player that year (Lacasse & Dulac-Lemelin). But they just never made it very far. Tremblay talk about it in this article but dismiss it just because those players didn't make it to the higher level. He imply that Timmins drafted them only because «he saw Dulal-Lemelin on is way to go fishing and Lacasse while going back from his trip».

What a ****ing clown.

LouisJCloutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:34 AM
  #81
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,839
vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halakalakaboom View Post
[...] This is an interesting debate and saying 'RT is a moron' just proves you are an idiot.
but he is a moron...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:36 AM
  #82
windycity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Well duh
Posts: 3,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halakalakaboom View Post
This.

I think it's worth debating, because both players had to work hard and to persevere to perform this year. I personnaly think Patches deserve it, because it was realistically almost a career-ending injury. He could've came back afraid of contacts.

On the other hand, people that are surprised that DD made it to the NHL are clueless at evaluating talent. DD had a freaking 375 points total in the Q. DD was tearing it up in the ECHL and AHL. Even if he wasn't drafted, scouts had him on their radar, and they invited him to camps and gave him his chance. Yes that's perseverance, but it's not like he was left out with nothing out there. Plenty of undrafted players are performing in the NHL, that dosen't make them worthy of the Masterton award automatically.

Why is this becoming a anglo vs french issue is mind boggling. Some people need to remove their fanboy glasses. This is an interesting debate and saying 'RT is a moron' just proves you are an idiot.
did you read Tremblay's column? If DD was David Smith from BC do you 1. think Tremblay even raises the issue, 2. writes the same column even if he did? Tremblay is a xenophobe and the fact that he has a valid argument overall that DD could be considered is, in his case, nothing more than a blind squirrel finding an acorn.

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:38 AM
  #83
SmurfsFTW
Wait.. WUT ?!
 
SmurfsFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Poutine island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisJCloutier View Post
Hhaha another classic bashing of the Habs management by Tremblay.

Doesn't matter that the Habs were the only team in THE ENTIRE LEAGUE to give Desharnais a chance: they didn't draft him and it's unnaceptable. For him it shows that the habs management don't care about Quebec.

The most funny thing is that the Habs drfated two Quebec-born player that year (Lacasse & Dulac-Lemelin). But they just never made it very far. Tremblay talk about it in this article but dismiss it just because those players didn't make it to the higher level. He imply that Timmins drafted them only because «he saw Dulal-Lemelin on is way to go fishing and Lacasse while going back from his trip».

What a ****ing clown.
RT bias has nothing to do with the actual article. DD deserves to be mentionned for the Masterton trophy nominees, because he overcame adversity and persevered to get where he's at. But Patches still deserves it more.

You can hate RT all you want, I also hate him because I know he'd rather be covering the Nordiques and hated the Habs when they were in the league. But this article is fine, DD deserves a mention.

SmurfsFTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:39 AM
  #84
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,173
vCash: 500
The man heaps foolishness on top of his prejudice. Pacioretty has a much better chance of winning the award than Desharnais because his case is instantaneously recognized. The video has been shown over and over and is vivid in everyone's memory.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:39 AM
  #85
SmurfsFTW
Wait.. WUT ?!
 
SmurfsFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Poutine island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
but he is a moron...
Perhaps, but why would it taint the actual debate ? Arpon Basu wrote the same thing.

SmurfsFTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:40 AM
  #86
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Does this idiot actually think that DD would want to win this because he's short? It's insulting.
This is a silly argument.

Now you say being short isnt a big deal.

On draft day and throughout the development of a diminutive player, it is almost guaranteed that you, me, and everyone else is singing a different tune.

DD was never supposed to make it. Now that he did, no one wants to give him credit for how far he's come.


Last edited by NotProkofievian: 03-16-2012 at 11:46 AM.
NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:40 AM
  #87
Plante
Registered User
 
Plante's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
did you read Tremblay's column? If DD was David Smith from BC do you 1. think Tremblay even raises the issue, 2. writes the same column even if he did? Tremblay is a xenophobe and the fact that he has a valid argument overall that DD could be considered is, in his case, nothing more than a blind squirrel finding an acorn.
Well said, qft, ect...

Montreal Habs fans seem to be a little too high on Desharnais.

Plante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:41 AM
  #88
SNM87
Habby Habitants
 
SNM87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
DD is not the first player to come into the league as an undrafted player and be successful.

Should Toronto nominate Tyler Bozak?
did you really just put Bozak in the same category as Desharnais lmfao?

SNM87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:42 AM
  #89
LouisJCloutier
Registered User
 
LouisJCloutier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gaspésie
Country: Canada
Posts: 715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halakalakaboom View Post
RT bias has nothing to do with the actual article. DD deserves to be mentionned for the Masterton trophy nominees, because he overcame adversity and persevered to get where he's at. But Patches still deserves it more.

You can hate RT all you want, I also hate him because I know he'd rather be covering the Nordiques and hated the Habs when they were in the league. But this article is fine, DD deserves a mention.
I'm with you on this, DD deserves it. The first part of his article is great.

He didn't need to add the rest.

LouisJCloutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:44 AM
  #90
windycity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Well duh
Posts: 3,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
DD was never supposed to make it. Now that he did, no one wants to give him credit for how far he's come.
Uh, no. He's getting plenty of credit for it, some of us just don't agree that he deserves an award for it, at least not relative to Patches.

From a hockey standpoint, I'm basically in awe of anyone who can make it to the NHL - even the worst player is still a tremendous hockey player relatively speaking

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:44 AM
  #91
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
He should be. The masterton is not the "best player coming back from injury" award, its the award for the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey. I agree Patches persevered through his injury but DD stuck with it through not being drafted to centering the Habs first line. Also, MaxPac has 2 suspensions does he not?
OK, here's the deal. I'm going to slam your head into a piece of steel at 30 MPH. You're going to break your neck, and be unconscious and concussed.

Now. Here's what you do:

You recover from this terrifying, life threatening injury.

You play despite your family asking you not to.

You work your ass off to get back in shape after losing ten pounds of sweat and muscle in the hospital in 3 weeks.

You re-make your NHL club from scratch, 6 months later.

You score 30-35 goals while the biggest toughest meanest sons of *****es in the most violent professional league and sport in the world are trying to take your head off, every game.

Really.

DD? DD? Did you say DD?

Not sure if serious?

I love DD. But There is no question here. Why is this even a question? I bet you know why. Why don't you tell us what this is really about? Go ahead. Tell us. Tell us what you're really thinking. Be honest for once.

Because DD does not deserve a Masterton in any way. Not at all, ever. Not even close.

Bill Masterton DIED playing the Game. Pax came damn close to dying playing the game.

DD is short and worked hard.

The Masterton is ONLY about recovering from injury, and bravery. It' not about 'trying hard'. Jeezus H.

I can't wait until the Nords get a new franchise. God almighty.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:44 AM
  #92
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
Which means that:

1) You can't or won't read the article, and
2) You don't know what the definition of the Masterton is, and
3) You don't know who DD is.

Congrats!
We're talking about Donald Duck right?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:44 AM
  #93
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,371
vCash: 500
Again, don't hate the player, hate the game. It will surely turn into some DD hatefest around here just because of freakin Tremblay once again.

Besides, the debate is there. It's not like DD has 3 points. The guy that never was drafted because he was too small as talented as he was. Destroyed every league he was in and now despite people still not believing in him, does what he's doing right now. Don't look, but it is what the Masterton is also build for.

What Tremblay does though is that he totally destroy his argument with a whole lot of nonsense right after. Don't look at that, just look at the fact that DD is indeed a Masterton candidate. And if the accident doesn't happen to MP, DD is OUR candidate.

Mind you, I also agree with RT on the fact that we haven't done a good enough job in the Q, but that you knew it already. Yet, I will always disagree on the fact that he's not giving the credit to the Habs for inviting DD. At one point he says that we don't draft Q players, in 2004 we did, and yet he ridiculizes it. Then he goes on by saying that it's not his fault if we lost Grabs and Streit but then says towards the end that for whoever wants to defend Timmins, well we haven't won anything in 10 years....okay so at one point you're saying that he's not bad...that it's not his fault if those guys were traded, yet, it's his fault if we haven't won anything? Tremblay at his best not making any sense. Yet, I am able to forget about the messenger and see that there are a couple of things in there that is worth considering. What most people in here will do is see who speaks, and immediately throw it in the garbage. Makes no sense to me. Possible that 7/8 of an article makes no sense, but at least, it could be worth talking about the 1/8 who does. Unless we want to start 3 threads about the day that Sundin will be a Hab....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:46 AM
  #94
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
This is a silly argument.

Now you say being short is a big deal.

On draft day and throughout the development of a diminutive player, it is almost guaranteed that you, me, and everyone else is singing a different tune.

DD was never supposed to make it. Now that he did, no one wants to give him credit for how far he's come.
By all means, give him credit. But a Masterson award for being short is ludicrous. I know I'm oversimplifying things by referring to it as "being short" but in a nutshell that's what it is.

And yes, I'd be insulted if I were him.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:47 AM
  #95
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
Uh, no. He's getting plenty of credit for it, some of us just don't agree that he deserves an award for it, at least not relative to Patches.
Uh, yeah, that was kind of the purpose of the argument I was rebutting.

There is no other purpose to reducing the impediment overcome by DD than to reduce the magnitude of his accomplishment.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:48 AM
  #96
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halakalakaboom View Post
Perhaps, but why would it taint the actual debate ? Arpon Basu wrote the same thing.
With all due respect to Arpon Basu, Pacioretty meets every criterion even better. He was having a fine season that was ended by a dirty hit by a player who should have been punished more severely. The trauma could have either paralyzed or killed him. As well as Desharnais is doing, Pacioretty leads his team in points and has attained the distinction of being a 30-goal scorer despite missing 3 games.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:55 AM
  #97
Bob Cole
Registered User
 
Bob Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,347
vCash: 500
Francois Gagnon ‏ @GagnonFrancois
Max Pacioretty: candidat du #CH pour le trophée Bill masterton. Saison exceptionnelle, mais David Desharnais méritait cet honneur selon moi!

Gagnon said the same thing 2 days ago.

Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:56 AM
  #98
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
By all means, give him credit. But a Masterson award for being short is ludicrous.
Hardly, he fits the criteria of the award. He is where he is because of years of perseverance. Perseverance is the main criteria of the award.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I know I'm oversimplifying things by referring to it as "being short" but in a nutshell that's what it is.

And yes, I'd be insulted if I were him.
You can't talk about his situation as just 'being short,' without talking about what that means for a hockey player.

Lots of guys are 5'7. There's like...one player in the NHL currently who is shorter than DD. There's a reason for that. That reason is that being that short is almost a death sentence for your hockey career.

The only reason DD isn't being considered for the award is that he doesn't have the histrionics of other cases attached to his situation. Maybe if he recovered from alcoholism and did exactly what he's doing now it'd pull on people's heart strings more. But it wouldn't make the argument anymore valid than it is now.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:57 AM
  #99
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
OK, here's the deal. I'm going to slam your head into a piece of steel at 30 MPH. You're going to break your neck, and be unconscious and concussed.

Now. Here's what you do:

You recover from this terrifying, life threatening injury.

You play despite your family asking you not to.

You work your ass off to get back in shape after losing ten pounds of sweat and muscle in the hospital in 3 weeks.

You re-make your NHL club from scratch, 6 months later.

You score 30-35 goals while the biggest toughest meanest sons of *****es in the most violent professional league and sport in the world are trying to take your head off, every game.

Really.

DD? DD? Did you say DD?

Not sure if serious?

I love DD. But There is no question here. Why is this even a question? I bet you know why. Why don't you tell us what this is really about? Go ahead. Tell us. Tell us what you're really thinking. Be honest for once.

Because DD does not deserve a Masterton in any way. Not at all, ever. Not even close.

Bill Masterton DIED playing the Game. Pax came damn close to dying playing the game.

DD is short and worked hard.

The Masterton is ONLY about recovering from injury, and bravery. It' not about 'trying hard'. Jeezus H.

I can't wait until the Nords get a new franchise. God almighty.
Reality check. How many players this year will get a nomination from their team and have NOT suffered the type of injury or any type of injuries Pacioretty got? While a lot of the past winners were about coming back from injuries, other winners, before let say Charlie Simmer, has won it without coming back from serious injuries. Just that it transformed into it as the years passed by. Could be the easiest way to give it. Yet, in a league where everybody thought you would never make it. Mind you, in every league where you'd thought to be too small to play in it, you do and you succeed. So tell me how that's not perseverance over a freakin long period of time? Tell me how that's not dedication to the game? Maybe giving it to DD would have actually be a good way to give to that trophy a little of what it was in the past.

Besides, it wouldn't be the first trophy that would have been hijacked. Nobody suggest any of those winners aren't good defensive players, but was the Selke really meant to be given to superstars like Datsyuk? Or more about the Draper's of this world? Mind you, I'm not saying to not give it to Datsyuk ever, you do have to recognize the defensive work. But maybe, they should be more diversified about it and try to acknowledge the other guys that will never win any other kind of trophies ever. Just like how there should be a Norris for really great 2-way defensive defencemen

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:57 AM
  #100
windycity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Well duh
Posts: 3,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Uh, yeah, that was kind of the purpose of the argument I was rebutting.

There is no other purpose to reducing the impediment overcome by DD than to reduce the magnitude of his accomplishment.
Uh no, you said no one wants to give him credit for it. Giving less credit is not giving no credit.

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.