HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Am I Overtraining?

Old
03-14-2012, 08:40 AM
michaelshu

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
Sorry for the late reply, was out of town for couple of days.

Awesome feedbacks, thanks. Especially the Tabata thing, it's really interesting.
I eat 5 - 6 times a day divided into small portions, except on Saturdays I will pump up on complex carb a bit.

Dynamic warm-ups and cool-downs, checked. I pay attention to these strongly because I had an awful shoulder injury for many years, so wouldn't want that to happen again.

My exhaustion happened just recently (about 2 weeks ago), wouldn't adding a HIIT program like Tabata make it worse?
And I'm not interested in taking any supplements (except whey powder and our regular vitamins)

@MPF24 You gotta be easy on me, bud I've only started exercising about 15 months ago, I was really in a bad shape previously.. overweight, smokes 2-3 packs a day, out of breath when climbing stairs, etc. In fact it was actually a 50 year old dude who inspired me to start exercising again

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If it's sudden exhaustion, it might just be a bug. I got hit with a nasty cold bug and have been run down. Last night I not only had to drop weight on my lifts but also had to take a 20-30 minute rest in the middle from fatigue.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:01 AM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
All the studies show Moxxor is no more effective than placebo.

It is the purest example of snake oil.

Omega-3 fatty acids are good for you, but if you truly got 300x the amount as you would with regular fish oil pills, your kidneys would shut down and you would die.

Maybe it works for you, but you are wasting your money. Google "Moxxor scam" for links to plenty of reputable science. Take your fish oil pills instead and save your money.
Oh I've done the research and read all the anecdotal reviews and actually there are studies out there that the green lipped mussel provides solid anti-inflammatory benefits. I am aware there are detractors as well. All I know is my experience, the experience of my teammates and my discussions with a professional team trainer, who all swear by the stuff for recovery. It's the first supplement I've ever taken that does what I need it to do and without it I wouldn't be able to play hockey anymore, given all my injuries and pain.

I originally became aware of it after my latest surgery in 08 when a good friend of mine who is a friend of a well traveled NHL coach told me about a certain NHL team that swore by it and had most of their players on it for fast recovery. I tried it, had great results and never looked back. Whenever I stop taking it for a time, I notice it.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Gino 14

I can't help but think that you may not be overtraining, rather training wrong. I'm older than you but even in the winter I run 10 - 12 miles/week and I dumped my weights for kettlebells and feel better overall. Also, I try to skate more than once a week, once a week is only good for leaving you sore for two days after the fact. a second day of skating, even if it's public skate, can help your overall conditioning.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 04:44 AM
michaelshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
If it's sudden exhaustion, it might just be a bug. I got hit with a nasty cold bug and have been run down. Last night I not only had to drop weight on my lifts but also had to take a 20-30 minute rest in the middle from fatigue.
Hmm that makes sense, my nose is a bit runny after every shower. I should take that into consideration, thanks.

Old
03-15-2012, 11:18 AM
7toZulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelshu View Post
Hmm that makes sense, my nose is a bit runny after every shower. I should take that into consideration, thanks.
You could also have an old fashioned case of SAD.... Gets me every winter, that *****!

7toZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:37 AM
michaelshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcarcagno View Post
You could also have an old fashioned case of SAD.... Gets me every winter, that *****!
Sexually admitted desease? How is that possible?