HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hayley should stay with women

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2003, 12:35 PM
dem

vCash: 500
Eh... theres no lawsuit there. Thats like me suing becase i want to play in the WNBA cause im not good enough for the NBA.

Old
11-15-2003, 01:10 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
Eh... theres no lawsuit there. Thats like me suing becase i want to play in the WNBA cause im not good enough for the NBA.
If a woman is good enough to play in the NHL and earn millions versus nothing in women's leagues, you better believe there would be a discrimination lawsuit.

There are other options for male b-ballers such as the CBA and Europe that pay as much or better than the WNBA.

Old
11-15-2003, 01:49 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
What was the point of this post exactly?
Like I said, I was just curious.

*playing it nice...*

Old
11-15-2003, 02:04 PM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
If a woman is good enough to play in the NHL and earn millions versus nothing in women's leagues, you better believe there would be a discrimination lawsuit.

There are other options for male b-ballers such as the CBA and Europe that pay as much or better than the WNBA.
The NHL cant force a team to put a female player on the roster.
Cliff Ronning and Adam Oates could play on any NHL team.. should hey be suing because no one is picking them up? AGE DISCRIMINATION!

Anyone who thinks a woman could play in the NHL needs to imagine Scott Stevens hitting a woman with her head down like he hit Eric Lindros. Or how about when a game breaks out into a brawl? What the hell is a woman going to do? Hell what is a guy going to do when that happens?

Old
11-15-2003, 02:26 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil
I'm only using Gretzky as an example but yes it would be an insult. Would Scott Stevens bodycheck Cammi Granato if he had the chance to lay into her? Maybe. But why second guess that. There never will be a woman that can compete at the same level as the best men in the world, it just won't happen. The only reason it would is for media attention. And for the people that say if they are good enough they should be in the NHL think about this. Would a woman fight Mike Tyson or Lennox Lewis in the ring? No. So why Hockey? Genders shouldn't mix in professional sports, thats the rule. As muchas this might offend "tree-huggers" its the truth. Men are far more advanced than women in sports. Always will be. I say this to protect and benefit the women.
Replace women with Chinese and reread this statement. Similar arguments can be made about the Chinese, both by genetics and by stereotypes. The Chinese on a whole are smaller, sleighter and shorter. But does that mean Yao Meng shouldn't have been allowed to play in the NBA? Of course not. If you're good enought to compete with the best, then you should be given the opportunity to. If you're not good enough, then it's a non-issue. Well, hopefully, no one's going to pull more publicity stunts like Tampa, but as long as a player earns a spot on a roster, than they deserve to play. No matter what gender, race, whatever they are.

And if it'd help his team win, you'd better believe Stevens would lay a hit out. And if he doesn't, that's his fault. It's the nature of the game.

Old
11-15-2003, 04:13 PM
evildreams

vCash:
Big Phil, you're horribly insecure; you're upset at the POSSIBILITY that a woman could live out your fantasy while you are still shlubbing it up in a cubicle. suck it up!

Old
11-15-2003, 05:35 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Nomination

I formally nominate Big Phil as hfboards fool of the year. Nice going.

Old
11-15-2003, 06:12 PM
Bud The Spud*

Send a message via MSN to Bud The Spud*
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbsfan
I formally nominate Big Phil as hfboards fool of the year. Nice going.
Yeah and sexist pig of the year too.

Old
11-15-2003, 08:18 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
The NHL cant force a team to put a female player on the roster.
Cliff Ronning and Adam Oates could play on any NHL team.. should hey be suing because no one is picking them up? AGE DISCRIMINATION!

Big difference between pricing yourself out of the market and discrimination. In addition there is a big difference between a backroom deal that blackballs somebody, and the league making a rule effectively not allowing a group of people to play in their organization on the basis of sex, age and race.

Old
11-15-2003, 08:19 PM
Coffey77

There may be a time for woman to make the NHL but not for a long while. Wickenheiser is the best female player and by quite a margin as well. And she was a 4th liner in a 2nd division Finnish league. Not bad, but not the NHL either.

The first woman to make it would be a goalie IMO. Less demands on physical strength, plus they could be more flexible.

I would like woman to try and form their own league first. Look at the NBA and WNBA. What's wrong with having 2 separate leagues?

Old
11-15-2003, 09:00 PM
Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffey77
I would like woman to try and form their own league first. Look at the NBA and WNBA. What's wrong with having 2 separate leagues?
you just answered your own question :p

The fact that theres no income... the WNBA last year was paying people to be in the seats for the all-star game last year, if im not mistaken. And geez, at least america will watch basketball if nothing else is on. like hell theyll watch hockey, so no advertisers will pay them any heed.

Old
11-15-2003, 10:36 PM
gb701

for what it is worth....what an incredibly stupid discussion.

Why on earth are we wasting time on this meaningless discussion...

oh wait, I just joined in....my bad

Old
11-15-2003, 11:34 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
I don't think Hayley Wickenheiser was asking anyone for a spot on an NHL team. I'm pretty sure she knows she's nowhere near that level.

Closed Thread