HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

We could be cup contenders next year

Old
03-15-2012, 12:54 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 50

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:00 AM
Shadyone33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
I think I'm misunderstanding the graphic. Is it supposed to be averaged out to an 82 game season? Or is it just until he had major injuries?

It's good to have him back and I can't wait till he's back to his old self(or as close to possible to his old self).

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:09 AM
Mrb1p

Maybe best season worst season ?

...We are at 67 maybe it was made a two weeks ago.. i don't know.
And I think 07 we finished at 110 points if I recall. So it might not be that..

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:14 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 50
The graph is from a year ago (or 2 I don't remember) but it does show how big of an impact Markov has.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:17 AM
Subbanned

This is a dumb thread, we can't be cup contenders next year. We can be much better than we were this year and definitely a playoff contender, but it would take too many miracles to count to make us an actual cup contender anytime soon.

Subbanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:41 AM
Bloumeister
Certifiable

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyone33 View Post
I think I'm misunderstanding the graphic. Is it supposed to be averaged out to an 82 game season? Or is it just until he had major injuries?

It's good to have him back and I can't wait till he's back to his old self(or as close to possible to his old self).
Quote:
The graph is from a year ago (or 2 I don't remember) but it does show how big of an impact Markov has.
It's from May 2010, when Markov busted his knee against Pitts:

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...without-markov

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:49 AM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
If we draft grigerenko, and sign a UFA like parise, then get tinordi and/ or beaulieu up. PK with another year under his belt and now able to play a more offensive role because of the return of markov, and not to mention the return of our captain, who's been our leading scorer the last 2 years, as well as plekanec and bourque playing up to their potential, and maybe a bottom six forward or two. some 10-15 goal scorers who are big and rough. and all our young guys, desharnais, leblanc, eller, patches, maturing even more. We could have a team that turns it around, just like that. (finger snap) chin up folks
this post need the THE GIF....you know the black leather coat guy gif

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:18 PM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

that's unbelievable. man have we ever missed markov. god only knows how different things could have been if we had him. the boston bruins may very well have not even made it out of the first round. philadelphia might have been a surmountable mountain in 2010. and we would probabley be in a playoff spot this year, with cammy still in our lineup.

24stanleycups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 11:00 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
that's unbelievable. man have we ever missed markov. god only knows how different things could have been if we had him. the boston bruins may very well have not even made it out of the first round. philadelphia might have been a surmountable mountain in 2010. and we would probabley be in a playoff spot this year, with cammy still in our lineup.
Markov is our Crosby. Litterally.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:18 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
wow whats fridays winning lottery numbers? You know everything!

wow dude your so dramatic. Take a step back and look at the big picture. We have more young talent than most teams in the league. We have a top 5 goalie in the league with a damn good back up. The only way we can go from here is up and I am a firm believer that we will be contenders next yr IF we get a veteran or 2 on D fire PG make RC an assistant coach hopefully and hire a coach that will light a fire under players like Pleks Bourque Weber ect ect or even trade them. We need some fairly big changes but they are changes that can quite easily be done.
Yikes! Posts like these are what worry me about the habs going through a rebuild. People thinking its an easy process. WeThreeKings is right in that montreal is several pieces away. The young talent has arrived and the cupboards are bare (relatively speaking), there seems to be no indication of where this franchise is going (I expected more at the trade deadline). Until management is replaced, this team will be a bit of a mess.

However, if they get the right management group, things can be turned around. There are some young nice pieces, but I dont agree that veteran signings are the answer here. Once management is in place, let them take their time and find their man for the coaching job. And f*%k the people who b*&ch if the right man isn't french. Where has the complaining and requests gotten this team? Finally, once that is in place, management and ownership has to invest in a proper scouting staff. It's nice to have Trevor Timmins heading things, but the man cant scout the globe by himself. The fact that some teams haven't figured out that this is one of the keys to success in the NHL yet is beyond me. THN having the habs prospect pool at 28th is no surprise to me. Don't get me wrong, some prospects are attractive and will fill a need, but it really lacks in top end talent, and that's where good scouting comes in.

Just as an example, that Jeff Carter deal look brutal for Columbus because JJ is an average defenseman and while that first rounder is a nice asset to have, it's only as good as what you turn it into, and Columbus has a very poor drafting record.

Anyway, my 2 cents, and as for the OP, I think montreal is still ways away from being contenders, but, rebuilds aren't that bad. You get to see very exciting and promising hockey. I've said it in other threads, I doubt it will get worst than this.

Better times are ahead for sure

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:46 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
Yikes! Posts like these are what worry me about the habs going through a rebuild. People thinking its an easy process. WeThreeKings is right in that montreal is several pieces away. The young talent has arrived and the cupboards are bare (relatively speaking), there seems to be no indication of where this franchise is going (I expected more at the trade deadline). Until management is replaced, this team will be a bit of a mess.
and yet, that's what most seems to think... we tank ONE season, get a great pick, and voila!

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 07:12 AM
SeriousHabs

My roster for next season.
No cap increases.
Gomez demoted.
2012 1st round pick doesn't play.
Semin on a two year deal max. Need to be able to unload by 2014 summer.
Raises to RFAs.
If cap increases, find a better bottom pairing D. and maybe a 4th liner that can PK. No long term contracts.
22 man roster

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Erik Cole ($4.500m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Max Pacioretty ($1.625m)
Alexander Semin ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Lars Eller ($2.270m) / Travis Moen ($2.000m)
Ryan White ($0.825m) / Petteri Nokelainen ($0.750m) / Blake Geoffrion ($1.062m)
Louis Leblanc ($1.170m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / P.K. Subban ($3.250m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / Alexei Emelin ($2.200m)
Tomas Kaberle ($4.250m) / Raphael Diaz ($0.900m)
/ Yannick Weber ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS
Peter Budaj ($1.150m) / Carey Price ($6.000m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,636,666; BONUSES: $300,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,663,334

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 09:04 AM
HTTP 400 Bad Request

vCash: 3320
Quote:

However, if they get the right management group, things can be turned around. (...)
I don't necessarily agree with the "several pieces away" part. I mean, people keep thinking one of our biggest need is a big #1 C. But take a look a St.Louis. Leading the NHL with Backes as 1st C.

What they did? They brought in a coach who knows where he's going. Pretty sure at the beginning of the season, many would have said St.Louis was many pieces away from even making the series.

It's not about the pieces, it's about how you glue them together.

Hitchcock did exactly this. He was the perfect choice for a team with a great goalie behind. He built the team from it, and he's created an identity, a sense of "wholeness" that leaves no space for missing parts.

Habs did exactly the opposite. They took a team that went to war and had some success and "unglued" it through the past 10 months.

Last summer, we were "some parts away", now, we are a unity away.

So I agree, what is needed is a new management group, cause they broke everything. Then, bring in a coach who's gonna glue all the parts already there.

Then, everyone will see Habs are not far away.

You don't win by bringing new parts, this recipe has failed every time, you win by creating an identity from what you have.

HTTP 400 Bad Request is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 09:30 AM
PricePkPatch

We can always sign Semin if we can't trade for Radulov or get Parise

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 09:53 AM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
We can always sign Semin if we can't trade for Radulov or get Parise
Agreed, but we have to be careful. I wouldn't sign him for more than two years. I'd essentially take him on as a replacement for Gomez's cap hit until July 2014.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWalkThroughWalls View Post
I don't necessarily agree with the "several pieces away" part. I mean, people keep thinking one of our biggest need is a big #1 C. But take a look a St.Louis. Leading the NHL with Backes as 1st C.

What they did? They brought in a coach who knows where he's going. Pretty sure at the beginning of the season, many would have said St.Louis was many pieces away from even making the series.

It's not about the pieces, it's about how you glue them together.

Hitchcock did exactly this. He was the perfect choice for a team with a great goalie behind. He built the team from it, and he's created an identity, a sense of "wholeness" that leaves no space for missing parts.

Habs did exactly the opposite. They took a team that went to war and had some success and "unglued" it through the past 10 months.

Last summer, we were "some parts away", now, we are a unity away.

So I agree, what is needed is a new management group, cause they broke everything. Then, bring in a coach who's gonna glue all the parts already there.

Then, everyone will see Habs are not far away.

You don't win by bringing new parts, this recipe has failed every time, you win by creating an identity from what you have.
I can respect that, but in my opinion, going through the Blues roster at the beginning of the year, I saw lots of talent. Oshie, Backes, MacDonald, Perron, Stewart, Berglund, that's pretty good firepower up front, with good role players to boot. I would compare them more to Boston than Montreal, and I'm not saying this to troll whatsoever, but in that they have a very balanced attack.

Then, if you look at their blue line, with Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo, Cole, Jackman, that's a pretty solid blueline. The surprise to me was that they were doing so poorly at the beginning of the year. Anyway, that's not the point but I agree that good coaching makes a difference. But if we're going to use the Blues as a comparable, they have players like Shwartz and Tarasenko coming, both of which would be the top prospects in Montreal were they the Habs property. For the blue line, maybe we can say its a wash, if Emelin keeps progressing.

So, I would say St-Louis on ice is 3 top 6 forwards and one top 4 d-man ahead of Montreal, so that's 4 pieces. And we're not even talking about the quality of the players yet. Add to that the lack of blue chip prospects in Montreal's system, and I politely disagree with you and stand by my assessment that they are several pieces away.

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:31 AM
thewall

When i read the tread I thought I was in the Leaf's forum!

Darche might be a Futur Hall of Famer (Quebec AA Hall of Fame) ahhahah

thewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess View Post
I highly doubt that we would be contenders, in fact it's virtually impossible barring we get reinforcement, but we will definitely be better then we were this season.
I don't know that we will. I really don't know what to expect.

We have huge holes on our team. No real number one center, no depth on the wings, a blueline that has been cobbled together and Markov who's an injury waiting to happen.

On the flipside, we've got a trio of young players who could easily improve on this year and may emerge as stars at some point. The first line is actually playing like a first line even though none of these guys are stars. And when Carey Price gets hot he's shown he can carry a team by himself.

We could easily bounce back next year. Then again, it won't surprise me if we find ourstelves in the same situation again. We're in last place even with that first line and Price playing pretty well. What if that line slumps or Price has a bad year? We're toast.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:38 PM
jerrywally23*

The first thing U need to do get rid of Kaberle, Gomez, and Subban (yes Subban he has amazing offensive talant but he in known for giveaway in the Montreal zone.

Last edited by jerrywally23*: 03-16-2012 at 12:47 PM.
jerrywally23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrywally23 View Post
The first thing U need th do get rid of Kaberle, Gomez, and Subban (yes Subban he has amazing offensive talant but he in known for giveaway in the Montreal zone.
He's 22 years old. Giveaways are going to happen when you're that young. Give him time. Being impatient with a player of his talents only hurts you in the long run. He's already improved by a fair bit in the 2nd half.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:26 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
He's 22 years old. Giveaways are going to happen when you're that young. Give him time. Being impatient with a player of his talents only hurts you in the long run. He's already improved by a fair bit in the 2nd half.
Giveaways are always going to happen to every players. Just look at Chara earlier this year against Cole.

It happens, we live with it and use when we can.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 05:15 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPac67 View Post
Ease up the horses cowboys-girls. Lets wait till summer & have a look at the Bigger picture.(see what pick we get, see how Markov holds up)

I think were in at least a 3-year minimum to be back into the game.
at least 3 years , if we dont fk it up again by signing more 4 million dollar free agents

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Giveaways are always going to happen to every players. Just look at Chara earlier this year against Cole.

It happens, we live with it and use when we can.
Lots of giveaways is a sign that you often have the puck and intend to do something productive with it. Lead leaders in giveaways tend to be some of the best players in the game.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 06:07 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
I can respect that, but in my opinion, going through the Blues roster at the beginning of the year, I saw lots of talent. Oshie, Backes, MacDonald, Perron, Stewart, Berglund, that's pretty good firepower up front, with good role players to boot. I would compare them more to Boston than Montreal, and I'm not saying this to troll whatsoever, but in that they have a very balanced attack.

Then, if you look at their blue line, with Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo, Cole, Jackman, that's a pretty solid blueline. The surprise to me was that they were doing so poorly at the beginning of the year. Anyway, that's not the point but I agree that good coaching makes a difference. But if we're going to use the Blues as a comparable, they have players like Shwartz and Tarasenko coming, both of which would be the top prospects in Montreal were they the Habs property. For the blue line, maybe we can say its a wash, if Emelin keeps progressing.

So, I would say St-Louis on ice is 3 top 6 forwards and one top 4 d-man ahead of Montreal, so that's 4 pieces. And we're not even talking about the quality of the players yet. Add to that the lack of blue chip prospects in Montreal's system, and I politely disagree with you and stand by my assessment that they are several pieces away.
another example of that... Hawks won a cup 2 seasons ago... they still have Kane, Sharp and Toews with Seabrook and Keith on D, but since they lost Buff, Campbell, Versteeg, Burrish, etc... they arent contenders anymore...

Depth is key... more so than a star/superstar...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 07:36 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
at least 3 years , if we dont fk it up again by signing more 4 million dollar free agents
Like fk up by signing Cole?

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote